Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris - Winter 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Just crawling back home from AdH after a seven hour delayed flight from Grenoble... It snowed pretty much all of Thursday night and Friday, easily leaving a good foot of powder all over.

Unfortunately the light was a little too flat for those who wanted to see where they were going and a couple of injuries from people running into varying snow conditions etc but all in all a very good end to the week/ start of the next.

The local forecast seems to suggest some more snow this week with cloud cover throughout.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from ADH today. Conditions throughout the week were fantastic. We had a large dump of snow on Sunday night and an even bigger one on Thursday leaving the whole resort powder-tastic with off piste skiing keeping the snow above the knees.

The reds and blacks were a bit icy mid-week but still skied really well. Sarenne was excellent on Thursday, although the Wednesday was blue sky all day and was fantastic for photos. It was snowing when we left this morning so the coming week should be excellent.

I would agree that the piste colour ratings are on the hard side - reds are really red. As for the black runs, unless you are a very competent skier do not attempt the Tunnel. Sarenne is easier but the moguls at the top are tricky with the steep drop but after that it's pretty much hard red to the bottom when it flattens out to a green run along the Valley floor to the Scare Chair (Alpauris) lift.

ADH has such a fantastic variety of runs to cater for complete novice though to seasoned expert and is a brilliant place to ski.

As for WiFi, I'm not sure about Les Bergers but the swimming pool cafe has free WiFi.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow Time, glad you had a nice time in ADH , how was your accomodation and would you go back?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The accommodation was good but not amazing. We stayed at the Chalet Murrielle which is catered and sleeps 21, although 15 would be more realistic. The location was good - you had only a 2 minute walk downhill before you could ski to the nearest lift and could ski back to the hotel on an evening.

The chalet hosts were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. The food throughout the week, particularly dinner, was very good. The chalet had a small swimming pool, hot tub and sauna but we had a leaky velux window without blinds and the owner seemed to be disinterested in making repairs. The dishwasher was next to useless and plates and cutlery were not always clean. Even with the efforts of the chalet hosts I would probably not go back to the Murrielle.

As for the resort; Alpe D'Huez was faultless - brilliant runs from easy greens to tricky blacks. The ski school was very good and the lift systems excellent. Last week was fairly quiet and at one point on La Sarenne (Europe's longest black run - although certainly not one of the hardest), I could see nobody at all either above or below me along a 1000M stretch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great day on ADH. Sunny and cold, a foot of powder off piste and hardly anyone around. A great way to compensate for the epic 15 hour journey from gatwick yesterday!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like Admin has solved the need for WiFi to post snow reports, look forward to trying it in the field in 2 weeks, conditions sound great! (via SMS)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow Time,( sorry tim ) ah , but what were the other guests like Toofy Grin , I heard on the grape vine that you had a great group of northerns there to share the beer and all the kids were very well behaved. I'm pleased you didnt slag anyone off Smile .

I know you said you probably wouldn't go back but I'm just about to book as the rooms were bigger than our last chalet in ADH, it had hot water and the kids loved the pool which makes life easy, its just a pitty it's going to cost so much with Daughter Curtains turning 12 grrrrrrrrr.

Hope Jasmine had a good birthday and didn't mind the delays at cham, that said with all the problems we had the night before and the two call outs for the Doctor I was happy to get home with a 5 hour delay ( I had repacked expecting not been able to fly), we eventually got bk at 9 pm.

Give me a PM if your going to Aviemore I might be able to take a day off mid week and drive up Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading to ADH on the 16th with two other lads - Lots of snow here in Dublin to whet the appetite - Also likely to book flights to Munich for the start of March for a DIY before the divorce papers are served!!

Bendy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some odd, conflicting reports on the snow levels in ADH, especially in light of recent snow fall.

J2Ski are suggesting 90cm lower and 110cm upper Shocked This figure has significantly fallen.

The official site suggests 89cm lower and 220 upper Puzzled

Whilst the lower figures are consistent, they haven't changed in more than a week, even though there has been some reasonable snowfall.

The upper figures are hard to explain. Is the official site operator 'larging up' the upper depths? Or perhaps J2Ski is out of touch?

The J2Ski figures are closer to last years depths, not that that has much to do with anything, naturally.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be very surprised if they have only the 110 cm on the upper slopes. There was more than that when I was there over Christmas / New Year and it's been cold since (and snowed more).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tend to take all those snow reports with a pinch of salt, been snowing like mad over there even down at 1350m, temps forecast to stay low for a while too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More great snow today. 30cm fell this morning.
Poor vis in general but still plenty of great turns to be had lower down towards Villard and in the trees under the Grande Sure chair lift towards our chalet.
Getting serious powder thigh Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Must....remain....calm.....11 sleeps to go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Dawes wrote:
Must....remain....calm.....11 sleeps to go!

Me too.
Or maybe only 10? Really must find out if I'm flying Sat or Sun.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only 10 for me.... snowHead

Getting verrrry excited now....... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
just testing for next week Happy (via SMS)
ski holidays
Cool
ski holidays
Which Bars will show Sky Sports? and more specificaly premiership football.
Im a Arsenal fan and Sunday 31st Jan (my first day there) its Arsenal V Man Unure.

In the description for the chalet im staying in its says it has sky but I would hate to miss the game. Its 4pm GMT so it will be straight from
the slopes to watch the game. Plus its more fun wtching it in the bar. But where ?
snow report
Renry wrote:
Which Bars will show Sky Sports? and more specificaly premiership football.
Im a Arsenal fan and Sunday 31st Jan (my first day there) its Arsenal V Man Unure.

Sharkey's, The Underground, O Bar all show footie but my recommendation is The Pacific Bar (near the tourist info office).

On snow, it snowed quite heavy last night into this morning as the blue sky arrived. There was quite high winds with the snow which continued through the day so not sure where the powder will of ended up! All pistes (including the lower runs) are in good/great condition getting icy in the afternoons due to usage, if you pop on to the lesser used slopes (Auris being great at the moment) the snow on the pistes is good all day. Off piste is still nice (not been out since the earlier winds though) with the odd fresh line being found using only lifts. The tunnel run needs a nice big dump to get rid of the huge mogles that have been created but the seranne is nice if you catch it early enough. Town is really quiet with no queues and plenty of room on the slopes, to sum it up...its really good! Toofy Grin
snow report
12 sleeps & counting, one of which is at Stansted, so it's 11 more to lift off snowHead snowHead
latest report
manicpb, I will be staying up at the altiport area, whats the best way to get to The Bergers area (to collect hire skis)
I have pre booked from SPORT 2000 Centre Commercial des Bergers.

Also any idea on the opening and closing times of said shop? We will arrive about 8pm on a Saturday and I prefer to collect skis
the night before I need them.
ski holidays
I have just come back from ADH and to say that I had an indifferent week would be an understatement.
Departed Sat 9th Jan at 0930 from home to LGW, and to cut a very long day short arrived in ADH at 17:00 on Sunday.
No luggage and no skis as they were in LGW.
Promise after promise broken by TO and lost Monday skiing also.

Finally got on the slopes on Tuesday and needless to say it was worth the wait.
Skiing was immense and conditions superb.
Tuesday night the fun began.
Started dumping down about 2am and carried on for most of Wednesday.
At least 60cm of powder to be found on every run I tried. Was an absolute dream to ski.
Although I only got 4 days skiing it was probably the best 4 days I have ever had, especially Wednesday.

Renry, I stayed in Altiport too and it is a trek to get to Bergers.
10mins walk down the piste and 15 - 20mins back up.
The shops were not open late at all and the bus stopped running at 8pm.
I think that you need to be prepared to get them in the morning at 0830 when they open.

Also, the chalet we stayed in had no WIFI (despite being advertised) and no Satelitte TV.

Have fun as the conditions were superb.
snow report
Dontlikeheights wrote:

I think that you need to be prepared to get them in the morning at 0830 when they open.
Sad

Glad to hear you enjoyed the skiing in the end. A few questions

You would have had you have ski to door wouldnt you ?

How far down the piste is (loup blanc) a green if my map reading is correct to the lift station @ Marmottes?

How busy was Marmottes (what times to void etc).

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Bad luck. Next time pack your ski-essential clothing in your hand luggage. You can always hire skis.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
Bad luck. Next time pack your ski-essential clothing in your hand luggage. You can always hire skis.

What, along with boots, helmet, book, ipod, tickets, passport, etc etc. Shocked
snow report
Renry wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Boots/helmets are not allowed in handluggage through Grenoble and a few other airports rolling eyes
latest report
Butterfly, You can rent boots too - helmets if you insist. Clothes are harder to rent! Shocked
ski holidays
Renry wrote:
Dontlikeheights wrote:

Sad

How far down the piste is (loup blanc) a green if my map reading is correct to the lift station @ Marmottes?

Thanks in advance.

Just to bump this post back down in the hope of some advice wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If only one could bump some posts back down........ Laughing wink

16cm forecast today, a light flurry on Sunday and then sunshine according to a few sites.......couldn't be better. Get in snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
If only one could bump some posts back down........ Laughing wink

16cm forecast today, a light flurry on Sunday and then sunshine according to a few sites.......couldn't be better. Get in snowHead snowHead snowHead

Yep - I got an email from snow-forecast.com that put a smile on my face this morning.
Be nice to have a bit more fresh stuff later in the week (overnight obviously) but having spent New Year's Eve being rained on at 2600m I'm not complaining.
snow report
Renry wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Easyjet give me 25x45x56cm. Plenty of space for helmet, thermals, gloves, hat, helmet (if you're a sissy Shocked ), razor, toothbrush, socks, change of underwear, jumpers, ski trousers. Ski jacket - wear it.

You wouldn't WANT not to see the rest of your stuff for a whole week, but you could get away with renting just skis & boots.

Passport - pocket. Ticket - just a booking number these days? ipod (you poor thing, get a small child to carry it!), book - in hand!
latest report
James the Last, for me ski boots come first. I can buy or hire the rest with insurance coverage but trying to find top-end hire boots that fit or having to find a decent bootfitter and buy a pair? Ooops, does this reopen the whole boots in hand-luggage thing? Smile
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
James the Last, for me ski boots come first. I can buy or hire the rest with insurance coverage but trying to find top-end hire boots that fit or having to find a decent bootfitter and buy a pair? Ooops, does this reopen the whole boots in hand-luggage thing? Smile

Given the choice between spending a day sat around the chalet/hotel/apartment waiting for my own boots to turn up or spending a day skiing in skanky hire boots waiting for my own to turn up, I know what I'd do.
snow report
Higs, you misunderstand. I was talking about the order in which I'd pack my hand luggage. Were I waiting for my boots to arrive I'd do the same but I wouldn't have to as I'd have them with me having taken them in my hand luggage. True, I'd have to probably buy a pair of gloves and put up with skiing in what I was wearing to travel in, but given this is usually a soft shell and my walking trousers (and I carry sunglasses on me) it's no great hardship.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Higs, you misunderstand.

Frequently.
ski holidays
Renry wrote:
manicpb, I will be staying up at the altiport area, whats the best way to get to The Bergers area (to collect hire skis)
I have pre booked from SPORT 2000 Centre Commercial des Bergers.

Also any idea on the opening and closing times of said shop? We will arrive about 8pm on a Saturday and I prefer to collect skis
the night before I need them.

If your over that side of town I guess the the Tiger Bar will be the best place to watch the footie (guessing though only drank over there once), and as said most shops are shutting around 7.30-8.00 so doubt you'll get your skis till the morning.

It's been really warm in the sun the past couple of days, a lot of dripping off our hotel roof! Had a ride around Marmottes and down the Sarenne today, some parts around Marmottes are shut due to a some race event so a bit of planning needed to get around. All pistes are pretty good although the blacks around the second stage of Marmottes are getting some BIG mogels (above waist high!), the Sarenne was great this morning untill I dropped into the shade approching the bottom and rode over a block of ice and gave the base of my board a pretty big gash! Snow forecast today (Wed) which although is'nt really needed will be a nice top up, queues are still none existant, overall still great riding to be had! Smile
snow report
Renry wrote:
Renry wrote:
Dontlikeheights wrote:

Sad

Thanks in advance.

Just to bump this post back down in the hope of some advice wink

Renry

Apologies,

Yes we were right on the edge of Loup Blanc green run so it was excellent ski in ski out.
It is a 10 min walk down the piste to Marmottes lift.
Queues at marmottes lift now theres a question.

The waiting time is a massive 30 secs from what I saw.
I never saw more than 20 people in the queue and it is a 6 man lift so there was no waiting.
snow conditions
Dontlikeheights wrote:
I never saw more than 20 people in the queue and it is a 6 man lift so there was no waiting.
Little Angel

Im staying at Chalet Namika and it looks like the piste runs right past the front of it Cool
ski holidays
According to www.alpedhueznet.com/ Every Tuesday and Thursday, the slopes on the Signal mountain are re-prepared at the end of the day and then opened again from 5.30 - 7.30pm for flood lit skiing, anyone done it in ADH.
snow report
Renry,
Yep, loads of times. Sometimes it is just the the signal slope that is open and there is some sort of race practice on the slalom slope alongside or sometimes you can use both. It is good to practice a bit of technique, the blue slope would probably be a red in most places, and as the temperature drops it can get pretty fast but normally there are very few people, and usually they are keen skiers so there is no messing about. You will still need goggles because the wind gets pretty cold on your eyes, I just use the the normal daytime ones, although they are the Bolle modulator ones with the photo whatsit lenses. You can see the bumps very easy though under the floodlights. The night skiing is free if you buy a visalp pass. It is best to check late on in the afternoon with the people at the bottom of the draglifts if they are opening that night because sometimes they cancel it if the weather is really bad or there is some event on, like New Years eve.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy