Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris - Winter 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Nick Dawes, thanks for this, I'll be there next weekend and then again from the 25th.

Do you know if they've got any new snow cannons besides those shown on the official webpage? (70% main bowl and a little above Auris, Oz, Villard Reculas and Montfrais). I'm wondering mainly about the various runs linking these areas - would they be in reasonable conditions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon, Normally the runs down to Oz, Villard & Montfrais have decent cover, Auris is rather more unpredictable (South facing bowl which doesnt hold the snow too well) and access is really only via the "Scare Chair" or bottom of the Sarenne which wont be much good at the moment I expect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick Dawes, thanks.

Scary Chair is ok as my son may not be ready for Sarenne anyway. Not sure this time I'll be able to ski under it on the return from Auris, like two years ago!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crying or Very sad Having a year off from ADH this year due to our 2nd born arriving in January. But never fear, we aim to get 1st born on the slopes and 2nd born kept warm in ADH next year.

There's a run, I think it's called La Foret that goes down to Villard, and it is one of the few runs that has trees on it so you can feel like you're going really fast as you swish through the path with trees either side of you, but there are a few bits that flatten out so you need to make sure you go hell for leather on the steepy bits.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic day yesterday playing in the powder on the lower slopes around ADH. Very cold up top and bad vis but bluebird this morning so will head higher. Very very cold, was -25 on Pic Blanc yesterday which was closed. New Marmotte 6 man chair with weather cover seems good, will see how it copes when busy. Nobody here at the moment, probably all stuck on M20 and roads through France still!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grrr, looks like AdH is the only place in France where it hasn't snowed in the last two days. But temperature still going up tomorrow with rain forecast...grrrrr....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon, really? There seems to be conflicting reports. I read that there was snow yesterday (reported also on the official site) with 6cm today and possibly 15 or so tomorrow - down to resort. That said, the temps do creep up on Thursday before falling again. May be some rain lower down I guess. Friday's outlook suggesting another 15cms.

Are you out there at the moment?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, I was there over the weekend and will be there again from Thursday. My parents are there now, they say it snowed but just a little, not like the 30 cms elsewhere.

Should snow tonight, indeed, and rain Sad tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a lot of weather we've had this week! Raining today on lower slopes and windy up top so upper lifts closed this morning. We skiied down to Montfrais and the snow was heavy but okay, off piste has gone from crust yesterday to heavy stuff today. Best guess seems to be a reasonable snowfall tomorrow but then getting warm again, will just have to wait and see. Looks like it should be snowing now higher up but we've given up for today, getting ready for Christmas!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everywhere is wet and slushy in town and it's chucking it down with rain mixed in with the odd bit of hail!

Slopes are icy, most off piste has set rock hard. To find good snow you need to go high (difficult with the Pic Blanc lifts being shut the past few days) or search for where the wind has dropped any powder (had a good day in Auris the other day but seemed to vanish the following day)!

If you heading out dont worry the cover on the pistes is still good with no rocks and the park is taking shape (had a battering in the high winds a few days back) so you should find a few runs you'll enjoy, however the crowds did arrive this week and doubt it'll quiten down till after New Year and with some lifts closed it does seem busy!

Could really do with some fresh snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The rain turned to snow around 4.00am and is still coming down pretty hard now around 5cm has settled on our balcony in 4hours, should be the top up we needed!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did not venture far from the park today which is in good form at the moment (set of 3 kickers with small/medium lines, 4boxes/benches, 3 rails short/long/wavey, boardercross course open, gap jump being built today) but the bits of piste we did ride were in great shape with some nice soft snow just off piste. Fresh lines can still be found with no hiking although by the end of tomorrow they will prob be claimed, good weather forecast for the next couple of days before warming up and rain at 1800m!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great conditions here now, Cote de Rivets was excellent yesterday once Pic Blanc opened with some awesome powder on the steep pitches, avalanche level staying at 3. Snowing again now in Oz and staying cold (hopefully) should be well set for a good week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Famous last words above. Hideous today, rainy and warm on the lower slopes and blowing a gale with hail and bad vis up top. A cold clear still night so hoping for better tomorrow, lower temps and more snow forecast for Friday according to my snow plough driver mate in the bar earlier! General snow cover on most pistes is holding up pretty we but the quality is very variable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How is the weather out in ADH at the moment?

I am coming out there on Saturday, group of 8 and we are very much looking forward to it.
I heard that there had been significant snowfall overnight and that the temperatures have plummetted.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated!!
snow conditions
25 sleeps till I set off to come, one sleep near Stansted and then we should be there by mid afternoon on Sat 30th snowHead snowHead
snow report
Dontlikeheights, I'm sure someone in the know will be along shortly. From what I can ascertain from various sites (I'm due out there in just under 3 weeks) is that around 22 cms was expected yesterday/today. Snow depth up top around 160cm and 65cm at resort (official site though others contradict). Temps due to fall to around the -8C to -15C around Wednesday/Thursday.

Be good to get first hand view.
ski holidays
Am travelling out to Alpe D'Huez this Sat. This website http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_station=alpe-d-huez&p_region=alpes&p_pays=france&lang=fr&p_stationformate=alpe-d-huez suggests depths are even better than you think, eg 200cm at the top with 80cm at resort level. Best of all: 20cm of fresh today.

I'm hoping that there might be a bit of extra fresh this Friday and towards the middle of next week. It's only potential at the moment however by the looks of things.
snow report
Frostynutz, where are you staying in ADH?
Might see you around somewhere or in a bar for an Apres?

Just looked at the link you posted and it does seem to state better conditions that being stated on other sites.

Lets just hope it keeps it up for the rest of the week and then we have the best conditions from next week.
latest report
Butterfly, im on the 1545 Manchester flight to Grenoble that day wink

In ADH by 9pm ish I would think.
latest report
Am travelling out on the 16th jan - can't wait. Does anyone have any details on ghow to get to the other resorts covered on the lift pass using public transport? Thanks.
snow conditions
Renry, we are on the 8.10 out of Stansted, staying overnight near the airport the night before. Where are you staying? We're at the Chalet l'Escapade which overlooks the Eclose lift. I am hoping that the flights/transfers are all on time (due into Chambery 11.00) and that the weather's kind as I just might go out to play around on the free lifts while the rest of my party are sorting out hire kit Laughing
latest report
This video was taken last Saturday, on the back side of Alpe d'Huez, after some 10-15 cm fresh snow. I skied there with my family for Christmas and New Year week, and we haven't missed a single ski day despite conditions across the Alps not being ideal (and we skied down towards Oz, Vaujany, etc, so at lower altitudes than ADH as well). With the new snow you should have a great time!

http://youtube.com/v/6iYCEzcJU6M
snow report
We left ADH on saturday the 2nd having had a long snowfall that started at about midday on the Friday and carried on until the early hours of the morning. Loads of snow. Much of the predicted rain while we were there over the new years week turned to snow, and we had a great time.

The pattern we had for a few days was that it was nice and clearish in the morning, then it dumped snow for a few hours over the middle of the day, then cleared. On New Years Day though, it didnt stop!

This was after someone in the ESF Ski School had told us it would rain for the rest of the week!

ADH was a good last minute deal, to brush up our ski-ing before we hit Kappl at Feb Half term. Good snow for you folk who are arriving this week and next.
snow report
Butterfly, Good luck with Chambery airport ! Ive never had a flight land or leave on time there. Twisted Evil

We are staying in Chalet Namika in the Altiport / Bergers area. I believe we ski down to the lift stations. Cool
ski holidays
Not really the right thread for this, but rather than start another for a simple question/answer...

Is Vaujany one of those places where you might regularly need snow chains? I've always been lucky when driving in the Alps and never needed them, but just wondering.

Is it one of those places where the Gendarmerie stop you before the approach road and check if you've got any (I, at the time of writing, haven't got any).
snow conditions
paulio, you don't get enough people going up to vaujany for the gendarmerie to bother IME
they are pretty good at keeping the road open but it is a *little* hairy in places so chains could be useful just in case. that said, i did a season staying in Allemont (at the bottom of the valley from Vaujany) and drove up to there or Oz almost every day. i never had chains and can only think of a couple of situations where i was really glad of having a 4x4 with snow tyres
latest report
Arno, cheers. How hairy is a 'little' hairy?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, i think you can go all the way up there on google streetview if you want! i am probably not the best person to ask because i quite like mountain roads but i would give it 4.5 out of 10 on the hairiness scale where an empty motorway gets 0 and the road of death as featured on top gear gets 10. the hairiest road i can think of that i have actually driven would get about 7 (that's the little road near the Gorge du Verdon in France if you know it)
latest report
I've driven the access roads to Morzine, Valmeinier, Villenueve (Serre Che), La Thuile, Courmayeur, and over the Simplon Pass and to Tasch for Zermatt.

None of that lot were very hard. Worse than those?

(I'll drag this thread back on topic in a minute, sorry ladies and gents).

Might try Streetview for a laugh, hadn't thought of that, cheers!
ski holidays
I have done Morzine and Serre Che (presumably you are talking about the main road out of Briancon towards the Col du Lautaret). It is worse than both in that there are one or two exposed bits but the road is pretty straight in those places and has crash barriers
snow conditions
Back to topic, how are the conditions in ADH at the minute?
ski holidays
Got back from ADH on Saturday after spending the New Years there. The snow conditions were great early in the week, loads of snow and sun. Mid week the weather came in, heavy snow on tuesday made visibility poor and the top runs were all closed. Wednesday it actually rained all day and night which was a nightmare to ski in but we still went out. Pic Blanc was only open for one day (thursday) and the only run open from there was the Sarenne, we did it and it was brilliant although the run was packed very rocky in places and the queue at the bottom of the valley where you meet the scare chair was not to clever. If its open and you want to try it go up around 12:30 when everybodys having dinner and leave yourself around 40 minutes if your a competent skiier and around an hour 15 minutes if you stop a lot (it is 11 miles long after all). New years day was a total whiteout but we still managed to get out and went over to Auris. The snow for this week should be amazing and I wish we were back there. I would recoment what everybody says and avoid the main resort in the mornings and after lunch. Instead go over to Auris or Ski to Vaj, both have amazing runs and are virtually empty compared to AD (especially La Fare going down to Vaj). I would also warn that my wife struggled with a lot of the runs here saying that the blues here were like reds in Austria and Andorra and the reds were like Blacks. (she wouldn't attempt any blacks after falling badly on a red run over in Vaj) I personally didn't notice much difference but others in our group also agreed with her and avoided the tougher runs. I have to admit that I was totally surprised at the total lack of Apres Ski in the Les Bergers quarter, we ended up meeting in the bar Chez Leo to the right of the supermarket for a few beers. On a night it was totally dead until around 11:00 then got busy in bars like Sharkeys, the Underground and Smithys. Eating out isn't too bad with both restaurants in the complex at Les Bergers doing some good meals (steaks, meat and cheese fondou dishes, chops etc) all around 25 euros, just be careful with the beer prices as a large beer was around 9 euros but a small was only 2.5 euros. Madeye-Smiley All in all we had some good skiing, some bad weather and some dodgy conditions but we all had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat. Very Happy
snow report
I am off to ADH in 36 hours and cant wait.
Forecast looks amazing and I am so looking forward to the first ski holiday of the season.
8 of us in a chalet and it should be a superb week.

Update on the predicted on the snowfall over tonight and tomorrow would be appreciated.
snow conditions
Dontlikeheights, if thats saturday, me too!

Ive looked at a few forecasts and thee appears to be a dump due tomorrow?

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Alpe_d_Huez_snow.html says 25 cm

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez/6day/top says about 30cm at the top?

as long as I can get out of stansted ok...
snow conditions
Dontlikeheights, Skola, Please feedback when you return as im sureim not the only one in here going to ADH next month.

Have a good'n
snow report
Second that. 2 weeks to go for moi snowHead
snow report
Why is this thread so quiet?
latest report
Renry wrote:
Why is this thread so quiet?
My thoughts too, maybe folks are a little shy. I'm back out fir a week on 24th and will try and post a bit then but no WiFi in our place so posting on iPhone which is a bit pricey and hopeless for pics.
snow report
Im not sure if we have wifi in our chalet. We are staying in the altiport area, where is the nearest bar with
free wifi?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy