Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
EddieH, if Avoriaz has an "official" rather than pre-season opening of the 12th (ah, yes it does...), you might be better there - but AFAIK, it's only Avoriaz that plans to open then. Morzine's web site is too fecking crap to find out anything useful without a good couple of hours of navigation. It looks as though the Grands Montets may keep what they open on Saturday open until the full season now, not just weekends but it's not clear.

You would think that the Tourist Offices would want to tell people they were open, it's a perennial complaint that they're all a bunch of idiots in that regard however.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Compagnie Mont Blanc have now confirmed that the Grand Montets area will stay open from 5 December and not just for weekends. However, as to how many slopes will be open each day before the "official" opening date of 19 December, that's something they won't even speculate on. This weekend, it is only 2 pistes, one red and one blue.

Courmayeur are opening 8 or 9 of their main lifts this weekend, which should give access to most of their slopes. However, there is no specific details on how many slopes will actually open. http://www.courmayeur-montblanc.com/. It's also unclear if it will remain open during weekdays in the next week or two but there's nothing to suggest it won't. So for anyone heading in the Chamonix direction, it might be the best bet for slopes.

I have to agree that getting info out of the Tourist Offices/Lift Operators is like pulling teeth...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone ski Cham this weekend? What were conditions like?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same question from me as pompeyski, Had a look at the webcams, but they dont give much away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went up on the opening day, in the afternoon, and it was pretty good! Good coverage on the Bochard piste, a bit icy near Lognan but not too bad. Lovely blue sky for a while, good atmosphere. Off piste a bit suspect due to rocks as you can imagine. They were saying a metre of base then.
I took some nice pics, I 'll get them online in a bit. Till then here's one from the trusty iPhone
http://twitpic.com/s8lhp

Yesterday looked nasty so I painted the kitchen, but today got up early and went up for a couple of hours. Some nice creamy powder at the top of the Bochard though getting heavy and claggy below, but it started to snow in earnest in the afternoon so should be better now. Only Bochard & marmottons open at the moment - I rode down to Argentiere on the Pierre a Ric yesterday but skipped it today - it's not officially open and has some very rocky patches.

I've been back down working all day and it is tipping down with rain in the valley, 40 cm forecast above 2000m today and tonight, with the level dropping to the valley in the small hours - hope so as it's looking a bit tatty down here now! Should be really good up at GM though tomorrow Smile

I heard them blasting Flegere this morning too Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-12-09 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Firebug, thanks for that. Heading out in a weeks time so glued to every available media for snow reports/forecasts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
firebug, Thanks from me as well. Heading out in 13 days (and counting....) so any news of snow on slopes is good news.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks wet and rainy on the webcams this morning Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lol not on my eye-cam it wasnt! half a metre of powder and some of the bowls are now rideable. Very cold and clear, fantastic morning!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
were heading out for a couple of days next wednesday, cant wait Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
firebug, how come the snow reports and open lift stats look poor yet you seem so much more bullish (please tell me it's because you're right and they're wrong).

14 days till arrival Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Webcam looks good http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/webcam/Grandsmontets.jpg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
midgetbiker, because the areas don't open till the 19th most lifts are supposed to be closed. What poor snow reports? All seem good to me...

You're looking at that Snow-Forecast site again aren't you?

Firebug is almost certainly upbeat having actually been up the hill and actually experienced how good it is. I don't know where Snow-forecast gets its data from but it's quite unrepresentative of the actual Chamonix situation.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-12-09 17:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A worthy trip report from the midi albeit from the 5th

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/88791/aiguille-du-midi-opening-day-5th-dec-09
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scottishskier, thanks for posting that. Looks sensational. I had no idea the Vallee Blanche was skiable this early. Crevasses must be a bit of a worry though.
snow report
bobinch, I don't think it is skiable this early for us mortals at least!
latest report
scottishskier, wow. Thanks for posting!
ski holidays
scottishskier, nice.
snow conditions
scottishskier, Shame it was so busy! Smile
ski holidays
Hello All
Just been reading comments on snow conditions in Chamonix. Looks very promising, which is great as I am heading there next week for a few days to try out my new skis. Arriving on Thursday so looks like will have to be content with single red and single blue at Grands Montets until the whole resort opens on Saturday. Anyone got any updates on how the snow is holding up?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-12-09 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bob Morrison, no, but expect to on Saturday
ski holidays
scottishskier, great pics there, I love it!

Well I am a cheerful soul and inclined to be a happy skier as long as it isn't really rubbish! But it's really pretty good at the moment. I went up today and it's in good shape, again a few icy patches but very good coverage and the snow at the top is superb. First day on the skis today - Saturday & Tuesdays were powder days so i took the board.

Just going through the pics at the moment, I'll add them as I get them up.

Opening day (Saturday)

Grands Montets Chamonix - opening day
ski holidays
Mont Blanc & the midi from Les Grands Montets (opening day)
Mont Blanc from Les Grands Montets - opening day
snow conditions
Ok these are from today. It was my first day on the skis this year - I know the technique could use some work so go easy!

On the piste

GM1

Beside the piste
GM3

We found a nice kicker off a rock but sadly our enthusiam was better than our photo timing
GM2
latest report
firebug, great pics. Looking forward to a day at GM in the New Year!
latest report
bobinch, thanks!!

one more from today, ooo it's just all about me! you can see Brevent & Flegere behind me, they are pretty well covered too.

GM4
snow report
firebug, you've got good taste. A geezer with Black Crows Toofy Grin
snow report
I didn't think firebug was a geezer. Great pictures, though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks! Well my geezer has Black Crows, maybe that's what bobinch means? Smile those are his new red Navis which he's really happy with. Mine are the yellow Navis, a bit shorter
ski holidays
Oh, stupid me, Embarassed it's your taste in geezers he's complimenting you on!
ski holidays
firebug, I'm a bit new to this forum malarky so apologies if I get something wrong, don't mean to offend. Your pics at Grands Montets yesterday are great and very reassuring for someone who has never been to Chamonix before. This early in the season I have previously headed for Zermatt to ensure snow availabilty but this year decided to try somewhere different. From your pics and comments it looks like we made the correct choice.
snow conditions
Bob Morrison, Smile

I tell you what, it's chaffing cold today though, and a bit too hard for my liking on the piste. A good time to get up a bit later when there's been some sun!
snow conditions
scottishskier, Just had a proper look at the photos of your run down from Aiguille du Midi. Amazing, must have been an incredible day. I was invited to join a group or work colleagues to ski Vallee Blanche last year from the Italian side but we had only a single day free and the weather turned against us some we ended up moping around in Courmayur before getting an early flight home. Looking at the photos of you trip it was probably for the best as me thinks my skill in knee deep white stuff needs to improve a great deal before I give it another try.
ski holidays
firebug, Thought it was cold back here in the UK when I took the bicycle out this morning (still dark and quite misty on the coast), but bet it was much colder with you. Can't wait!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 15-12-09 21:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
scottishskier, wow, thanks for posting that link. I love this pic:

latest report
that looks like skiing through whipped cream. snowHead
snow report
Bob Morrison, Its not me sadly! I don't even know the person. Hopefully will be getting the goods too soon as I land in Nendaz tomorrow!
latest report
Arrived in Chamonix

The snow is good, and the sun is out.

Went up Aguille du Midi, not a drop of wind. Fantastic
ski holidays
we need more posts!

there on Sunday- if you see a fat(ish), bald (under his helmet), asian bloke telemarking- that's me- please stop me and have a chat so I can get my breath back.

Alternatively a fat(ish) balding British Asian bloke messing about with his Line Prophets and Duke bindings mumbling about the mounting- is also me. Red- rather worn and faded Patagonia anorak.
snow conditions
Sun shining again today, snow is good, lovely day - a bit cold so wrap up warm
Everywhere opens up on Saturday, but there is enough there to start with now
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy