Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Am hoping conditions get better by Friday, headed to Cham for Easter....not sure the legs can take much more heavy snow after lmy week last week!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TR from the Helbronner yesterday http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1499884#1499884

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice!!!

We took it easier....

Beer Goggles

Last week was really horrid I heard but temps have dropped again now and there seems to be quite a bit forecast...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, you wonderful wild country skiers (brilliant pictures), do any of you know about the ordinary pistes?
As mentioned back in February, we are a mixed ability group: most of us can ski almost anything (within reason), but daughters new boyfriend hasn't skied for 6 years and is concerned we are going to kill him. Toofy Grin
We're staying in Les Houches, so thought we'd start there on Day 1: Easter Monday.
Any ideas what its like up there? How much damage did the rain do?
Hopefully the recent snow will have made good any gaps - maybe not. Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, It's going to rock today. Snow down to 1000m last night and still going. More forecast for Saturday. Les Houches is very low. It will probably be ok on Monday but will deteriorate quickly if it warms up. Plan on exploring Brevent/Flegere and Les Grand Montets. Don't believe anyone who tells you they are no good for beginners/intermediates. I take all my mates there (half of whom can barely ski) and they all love it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hear it's forecast sun for later today too

*weeps!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roll on sunday
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well what a few days!!!!

Currently staying in Les Houches and had an amazing tree day today as decided to stay here instead of going to Grand Montets with the masses. Wish I had someone to take pictures but I did manage some with my iPhone of the conditions.

Jonpim, plenty of easy pistes and all in good condition if you stay at the top but all the runs to the bottom lifts (Belvedere and Prarion) are quite slushy for the last 500-800 metres or so.

Had Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Grand Montets and had fantastic conditions on Sunday although couldn't get to the top due to high winds and then the sun appeared on Monday with plenty of fresh tracks to be had. Even managed quite a large section off the top of Grand Montets at around 3:30pm. Really good day.

Will probably stay in Les Houches tomorrow as have to drop people off in Geneva but hopefully more forecast snow will keep the Grand Montets in good shape for Saturday and then of to Val for a week where I hope the conditions will be as good as they have been here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great video of the current conditions by Seb Montaz-Rosset
http://youtube.com/v/OoLS4diihfw&feature=player_embedded
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool ....................
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And that video was taken yesterday before the big cold dump last night. Today was epic over in Verbier. Deepest snow of the season up high. Tomorrow will be another great day with sun forecast. Unfortunately you'll have battle with the Easter holiday masses so get there early!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all that cheery news

Someone at SCGB seems to have a wicked sense of humour:
According to their data, Chamonix lost 2.5 meters of snow off its uppers slopes yesterday
April Fool or Error Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, today was even better snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7 days and counting Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch wrote:
today was even better snowHead snowHead snowHead
Oh goody goody goody. Very Happy
ski holidays
This is Verbier today but Cham will be similar http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63496

DSCF5181
snow conditions
Awesome morning around the Index, some very fine descents. Got a little heavier towards 12h00 but still great stuff to be got.
snow report
Is there anyone in the Chamonix valley now? Anyone skiied down to Prarion telecabine in Les Houches in last few days? Just curious to know if there is enough coverage to take you to the telecabine? Don't care about it being slushy, we are staying later this week at the apartments 200m from the bottom of the telecabine and don't like having to walk up/down to apartments/telecabine carrying mine and children's skis too.
Many thanks and the photos above look wonderful.
latest report
wildnoon,
Jonpim, Will be arriving sometime today in Les Houches I should imagin that he will post in the next few days if not I may on Thursday when I get out there Laughing Very Happy
latest report
wildnoon, yep - I just had a report this morning that it was still skiiable with plenty of snow on the run to the bottom, albeit slushy...
snow report
wildnoon, it was fine (albeit slushy) on Thursday.
ski holidays
CHAMONIX (HAUTE-SAVOIE) / ISERE Quatre morts dans des avalanches ce lundi http://www.ledauphine.com/chamonix-une-enorme-avalanche-de-plaque-fait-trois-morts-@/index.jspz?article=285155
ski holidays
And that last one on pistehors (for those who aren't fans of google translate): http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0989-french-police-warn-skiers-off-mountains/

Has it been that warm in Cham over the last few days - I thought it had stayed pretty cool of late?
latest report
ChrisWo, not warm as such (air temps quite cool yesterday) but on Friday it was mild and south facing slopes were getting lots of sunshine -> lots of self triggering slides (sort of in places you'd expect). Disturbingly, we watched a huge one covering the tracks of a party (or parties) who'd skied the pitch only seconds before.
ski holidays
Well, now that Linds has blown my cover, I suppose i'd better answer wildnoon's, question. I skied down the run to the Prarion Telecabin about 4pm yesterday. It was exhilerating: best run of the day. Agreed it was soft and hard and bumpy and the odd stone visible near the bottom, but very few people on it and wonderful fun (wierd I know, but I quite like slush. Toofy Grin )

We're going back to Les Houches (5MB file) today. Just perfect for anxious learners. Not too busy, no macho skiers, lovely slopes through trees, beautiful views, and excellent restaurants. How skiing should be. snowHead
latest report
Many many thanks for the responses and fingers crossed for 4 days time. Les Houches just got even better value too with our family of 6 skiing for 290 euro for a 6 day pass. Already planning next March half term in the Chamonix valley, Vallorcine/Argentiere next year.

And please keep attaching the photos Very Happy
snow report
Remember that it is the first week of April. It was a clear sunny day. Even if the air feels cold (especially with the wind chill) the sun is striking most ski slopes with an incidence of +/-10 degrees so those slopes are taking in a lot of energy.

Temperatures were only one factor mentioned by the PGHM spokesman for the Isere and he was also talking about the Isere not the Haute-Savoie. In the Isere the zero isotherm was around 1500m at 8am which is quite warm when there has been a lot of fresh snow that has not had time to consolidate.

Yesterday we had the zero isotherm climb 500m during the day and the -10C isotherm climb 1000 meters (info from Meteo France, Haute-Savoie) so again on a sunny day you want to be starting and finishing those tours early.

For me, the major factor in the Isere avalanches was the fresh snow (30-70cm on Saturday night) coupled with strong northerly winds.
ski holidays
To get a good idea of the snow conditions that built up to these avalanche accidents, have a look at my Chamonix Snow Report from last week up till yesterday.

At the moment it is quite busy in the ski resorts and many people are keen to go ski touring to escape the crowds. Normally it is good to wait and let the snow settle a bit first. The last week not many ski touring routes have been skied at all, and we got meters of snow meanwhile.

Today the slopes are even more unstable than yesterday due to the rising temperatures. It is the first time that all this fresh snow gets really warm (0 degrees on 3000m in Chamonix). We did go ski touring today, but we were up early, descended a north face, and were down by lunchtime.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eskil, wonderful picture. Where were you?
And how did you get there?
(Just for interest - not thinking of trying it without expert guidance)

Warm again today with glorious sunshine: Les Houches car park full, but no queues anywhere and slopes wonderfully empty.
Surprised so many keeping their helmets on despite the heat.
Daughter Rosie says none of the girls will take their helmet off for fear of showing "Helmet Hair"
I keep mine on to prevent burning the recently exposed areas due to receding hair line rolling eyes
Still able to ski down to Prarion: indeed, Karl who hasn't skied for 6 years managed it today.
Quite impressed how they have managed to preserve the piste, though not sure it will still be open come Friday.
ski holidays
I'm sure that the Easter break and great weather had something to do with it, but the queue for the bubble at the end of the Mer de Glace was about an hour on Friday afternoon. Luckily the train down stayed open for at least an hour after it should have closed.

It's a long walk down otherwise......!
snow conditions
Whitters, I understood Friday was often an extra busy day as people left the Big Run to their last day, and most people transfer Saturday.
We are off to try Brevant/Flegere today. snowHead
latest report
Thanks Jonpim, I'll remember that next time!

Have a good day today and let us know how Brevent/flegere are holding up. I might pop over at the weekend.
snow report
Whitters, we had a great time in Flegere/Brevent. Went from one end to the other and back again.

Very warm. I was skiing in just base layer (fleece in back pack).

Picture shows our picnic spot - anyone recognise it? snowHead

Snow was bit soft at the bottom, but hardly anyone there: no queues for anything anywhere
latest report
Very different weather today.

Picture shows Linds top of Les Houches.

Cloudy all day - promised afternoon sunshine never appeared.

Weather continues rather warm: +3°C

You can still ski down to both Prarion gondola and Bellevue cable car, but piste for last 500m or so is white strip surrounded by green, and you have to enjoy "granulated sugar" snow to try.

Tomorrow we're off to Courmayeur.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update - I'll venture out sometime over the weekend, the weather forecast looks good too.
snow report
Many thanks, especially to Jonpim, for the Les Houches reports, our family hit the village tomorrow afternoon.
snow report
Courmayeur was wonderful

A quick drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel, and you're at the Entreves cable car in under 45 minutes.

Runs a bit hard that side early on, but were fine later on.

Snow rather better in Courmayeur than Chamonix, and a coffee only 1 euro. snowHead

Picture shows glorious pic-nic spot at bottom of Zerotta chair (1525m).

Unfortunately the resort closes tomorrow (Sunday)
A real pity, as the place could clearly continue for another week or so.
ski holidays
Today was Flegere in the morning and Le Tours in the afternoon.

The Brevent-Flegere sector is south facing, and gets the sun blasting it early on.
It was getting soft below 2000m by 10.00am.
For a time it seemed more busy off-piste than on, as at least 40 skiers headed up from the top drag above L'Index chair
Then at 11.00 they closed red run 12 (Combe Lachenal) and our favourite run - Crochus (13) - got rather crowded:
it was time to move on.

Le Tours was delightful.
Quiet, and better snow on the north facing slopes than at Flegere.
There's a fun snow park, and the red run by the chair from Tete de Balmes was still lovely at 2.30pm.

Tomorrow? I think its time we tried Argentierre and Les Grands Montets snowHead .
snow conditions
At the moment it is raining hard in Chamonix, we will get a few last powder days on Grands Montets this week...
But with 3 weeks of sunny weather the ski touring has been great and conditions good in the high mountains. Read my full snow conditions and ski touring report from late April in Chamonix for detailed info.

Photo is from Glacier de la Neuve (ski touring to Col Sup du Tour Noir skiing down to La Fouly). Get the full story in the photo gallery from ski touring 28 April.
latest report
Ay caramba! Powder days today and tomorrow too I hope!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy