Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Max13biker wrote:
With a little tweak in "Photoshop."

assuming firebug doesn't mind, can I get a hi-res version of that tweaked copy for my desktop background please??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobinch wrote:
I was trying to work out where the much talked about low viz off piste is in Les Houches but couldn't see much obvious stuff. The trees look pretty tight? Anyone care to share?

I'ld also be interested in the low down on OP in Les Houche. The guide vids on You Tube that Firebug (I think) posted a link to make it look great but like bobinch I'm not sure where to start looking Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't seen a pic of the Toule avanche but I heard it came almost to the Mont Blanc tunnel entrance (on the Italian side) Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry bug, with a bigger tweak in PS couldn't resist- such a fantastic photo.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone done the Envers du Plan this week? And did you get any snow on Thursday? Fancy a run or 2 tomorrow on the new planks and hoping it's not a mogul field....

Here's one of Les Houches from last Sunday...

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bobinch, no significant new snow anywhere in cham that i noticed . . . sorry don't know about the condition of Envers du Plan
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blimey was today the busiest day of the season?

Spring conditions

New skis were nice....

Some local entertainment at the hot dog stop...

Nice day, blue skies and sunshine but could do with some fresh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not much fresh snow in Chamonix lately... but there is still powder to be skied if you go ski touring.

Did lots of nice descents in the Aiguilles Rouges last week and the snow in Vallon de Bérade (down to Buet) is still cold and powdery. Posted some route descriptions and photos on our blog: Ski tours in les Aiguilles Rouges

Also did some nice runs on the south faces down towards the Italian side of the Mt Blanc tunnel. If you live in Chamonix it is actually nicer (and often faster!) to cross the Vallée Blanche (ski half, skin half) then driving through the tunnel to Palud if you want to ski tour around Punta Helbronner. Skied the south face of Col d'Entrève yesterday morning. Top part in powder, a short part of breaking crust from the afternoon sun the day before, and creamy snow lower down.

The snow on south faces such as Glacier de Toule is not yet transformed to "spring snow", which means that in the afternoons the snow is simply heavy, rotten powder that easily slides, no place to be after lunch...

Happy skiing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eskil, love your posts and website. Interesting and informative. Please keep them coming. Did the Col de Belvedere a few weeks back and it was a belter! If you do a Brenva glacier trip this season and have a free spot please let me know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The snow on south faces such as Glacier de Toule is not yet transformed to "spring snow", which means that in the afternoons the snow is simply heavy, rotten powder that easily slides, no place to be after lunch...

Don't know about after lunch but it was certainly no place to be at 9 in the morning on monday when it felt like skiing boulders as it was cut up frozen slush from the day before Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Col des Montets shut for avalanches and apparently most of the snow formerly known as the "Flegere pistes" is now avalanche rubble in the valley Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
C des M had lots of mini slips onto the road on thursady so I'm not too suprised given the temps/rain since then. Shame about Flegere as we've just lent our bedroom to a couple of total newbies and as it's at the base of Flegere that would have been easiest for them to build up some snow time. All sounds a bit iffy for the coming weekend when I bring out the other half Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BUMP - how bad is it at the moment? More importantly how good does it look for this weekend when I arrive with Mrs Midget?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Col des Montets shut for avalanches and apparently most of the snow formerly known as the "Flegere pistes" is now avalanche rubble in the valley

Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dear oh dear, what dreadful reports. Sad
snow conditions
Yep, but isn't the snow supposed to arrive again by friday? Please..............Oh pretty please.
snow report
Errr, snow has actually been really good up high the last couple of days...
I have mostly been climbing, but the top of the Grands Montets on Monday was in great nick with 30cms of fresh, and today there was still plenty of nice softness around up high in the VB, with good spring snow lower down..
I would probably forget about brevent/Flegere now mind you... (Oh and Pierre a Ric Monday afternoon, was a slush-bump-fest...).
ski holidays
midgetbiker, What snow? The stuff that slipped off isn't going to make its way back up again...

Look at the CMB webcams. Looked fine to me. If all the Flegere pistes slid down into Le Praz, I think we'd hear about it.
latest report
Bit like this off the Midi today...

For those who may be interested the Jaeger currently looks reasonably white, while the Gerva (Tacul) is very very bare... Couloir du Diable also looks very white...
In the Argentiere basin I believe Col des Courtes was skied today (would have been epic conditions I'm guessing...) just waiting for more news incoming..
snow report
offpisteskiing, good to know the conditions are still tiptop up there. How is the exit? Assume it's by the train now and pretty bare on the met de glace?
latest report
offpisteskiing, What were you climbing? Conditions look good despite some of the reports i've heard elsewhere in recent times.
ski holidays
bobinch, exit fine, nice spring snow all the way down yesterday.. hardly any rocks showing through on the main 'motorway' .. I know the James Bond track was still being skied middle of last week with a couple of short walks, but that was before the thaw/rain - not too sure I'd be going anywhere near it personally just now (looked very bare low down too).

frank4short, went up for a look at all things E.face Tacul etc - went round to the Valeria goulotte on the Pt Capucin, as the top half was looking alright, but the bottom few pitches were black 'nasty' ice... still had a good wander up under some of the faces & got some good turns in, but felt a bit of a wasted day as there was definitely some 'steepage' to be skied...Mind you we weren't the only ones drawing a blank yesterday. Goulotte-wise its all really really bare at the moment, 2 teams heading up pellissier goulotte on lachenal, couple of teams heading for a very grey Chere, Supercouloir looks good though, but a bit beyond me for a first proper route of the year..

re more conditions apparently the couturier was getting loads of traffic last week, but would have been a proper swimming battle with the new snow.. whymper top 2/3 was looking very white from a distance, shroud on the Grand Jo also looking very white..
snow conditions
offpisteskiing, I'm intrigued. Do you have a good picture of some of the faces mentioned in your posts above? I'd be interested to know where they are. Hoping for a crack at Mt Blanc by the 3 peaks route this year. I think Mt Tacul is the first of the peaks as you ascend from the Cosmiques. I guess the East face is the one you see when descending the valley Blanche by the classic route?
ski holidays
Quote:

.. I know the James Bond track was still being skied middle of last week with a couple of short walks, but that was before the thaw/rain - not too sure I'd be going anywhere near it personally just now (looked very bare low down too).

By the 'James Bond' track do you mean the one down from the drinks hut after hike up from the Mer de Glace (that crosses the Montenvers rails and joins Planards)? If so I skied it twice last Sunday without taking off skis other than to cross the rails, it was pointless & unpleasent then, and I'm sure a lot worse now, monday saw me refuse to do it (to the annoyance of my 'purist' companion) and ride the Montenvers down twice instead.
ski holidays
bobinch, top pic above shows a small part of the East face of the Tacul, Gervasutti couloir right above Greg skinning up, Jaeger just right of that. The East face is on the right as you ski down the top gentle section of the classic VB. MB du Tacul is the first of the 3 Monts - from the bottom of the Midi ridge traverse right under the South Face of the Midi then cut across the col du midi to the bottom of the North face & skin up there.. Will see what other pics I've got..
snow conditions
bobinch, North Face of the Tacul (normal way up for 3 Monts route..) seen from below Midi arete:

East Face of the Tacul:

And a nice pic skinning just for good measure (between Pyramide du Tacul & Petit Capucin..ie further left looking up than last photo) :

snow conditions
offpisteskiing, Jaeger & gervasutti look a bit grey in places for skiing though looks like they're not far off of it. By the looks of it i'd guess the gabarou albioni & modica noury were probably in for climbing, no?
snow conditions
frank4short, modica was climbed a few days back but super-thin ice + several hundred metres of wading to get there...
Gerva is v.bare at the moment, Jaeger much less so (relatively)- I reckon its just been a bit more sheltered from recent winds while the gerva has been stripped..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, thabnks for the pics and explanations. Assume skiing these = early start day tours from the mdi? How steep is the Gervasutti and Jaeger? Assume they need more snow, consolidated without wind to be in condition?
snow conditions
bobinch, Gervasutti is about 50ish you can either tour up the nth face of Du Tacul & drop in above or climb the couloir. Second option is the technically preferable one as you get to find out what the snow is doing however the couloir is overshadowed by some HOUWGE seracs if one of these goes you're instantly dead effectively. So the climb Tacul & drop in from above option has become more & more common in recent years. I believe the jaeger is a bit steeper but is becoming a bit more of a trade extreme route due the fact it's relatively sheltered so it holds snow better & doesn't have the seracs of death overhanging it. Both would be done from a first lift up the midi. Key is in being super fit so you can climb fast to have the right window in terms of time of descent.
ski holidays
frank4short, thanks for the info. 50 degrees after fast ascent and danger from seracs is probably above my risk tolerance alas....
latest report
Hearse chair opened for the end of the day. 3.30 in the afternoon and fresh tracks at GM Very Happy
snow report
midgetbiker, how much did you get today?
snow conditions
We got about 20cm windblown snow on 3000m last night, but you still hit the base on Grands Montets, the top never opened due to strong winds today (27th March). Some clearings just before lunch allowed for a quick run off Aiguille du Midi.

After the big snowfall promised for tonight (40-50cm) + strong winds conditions will be quite scary many places. Most steep skiing will probably be in good conditions when it clears up again though, the skiing was already great before this snow came the last few days.

Skiing off Aig. du Tacul 24th of March.

With last week's temperatures, north-east faces stays powdery above around 2500m, and south face below 3000m transformed to corn snow quite quickly, in general.

Don't know what happens with the golottes and ice routes whit all this snow? For me life is still powder skiing =)
latest report
bobinch, maybe 30cm on friday and some fri night, the boards said 40cm of fresh up Flegere this morning (sunday). Are you doing any skiing in Cham at easter or the 2 weeks after, looking for someone to help me lose my 'guideless cherry' up the AdM snowHead ?
ski holidays
midgetbiker, up there tomorrow with horizon and possibly a couple of others. Planning a Hellbroner, Vallee noir, Vallee blanche epic...
ski holidays
Everyone excited by the freshies(saturday was fun whilst it lasted) but heres one of the many avalanches from last week.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?4,file=6383
snow report
bobinch, aaaargh, I left this morning at 9am (actually 9.15am because at 7.30am I realised it was really 8.30am and I had to be in GVA pronto) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
heading back by car on friday though snowHead
snow report
Brevent very heavy this afternoon (+15C or so) - sizeable slip onto piste at one point had the pisteurs a little perturbed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy