Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans 2009-10 Season

Poster: A snowHead
Cipria, you should try it, it's a beautiful place and I'm sure you would feel at home.

The mapped routes (WWI, Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley, etc) are just that, you follow a route but you are on your own, some tour operators may do some guiding of groups though.

If you want some like-minded company, maybe you should consider the snowHeads 6BB. By all accounts they had great fun last year in Campitello. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, That's no bad thing - I first went to Arabba with Ski Beach Villas ( which would have been about 1995 ) when they were the only TO doing Arabba. They got swallowed up by Neilson ( IIRC ) and the service dropped like a brick!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, It's a much better idea than skiing on my own,.... I'm looking to go to Wengen on the MSB(?)-haven't got the hang of all the abbreviations yet - so need to check out costs etc, my other consideration is the age group. I'm 51 and although fit, healthy and a strong skier, I'm not sure I'll keep up well with a group of twenty somethings....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cipria wrote:
luigi, It's a much better idea than skiing on my own,.... I'm looking to go to Wengen on the MSB(?)-haven't got the hang of all the abbreviations yet - so need to check out costs etc, my other consideration is the age group. I'm 51 and although fit, healthy and a strong skier, I'm not sure I'll keep up well with a group of twenty somethings....

LOL if only we were twenty something snowHead

I can tell you from experience last year that a fair number of us on the BB are on the 50 side of 20! Certainy I'll be 50 in a few months and I did not feel out of place last year. Yes there were younger ones as well, but what I found was that the bash divided into groups of people who were comfortable skiing together regardless of age/sex/race/creed etc and the sub-groups mixed/melded/reformed over the week as if by magic. Will be more people (approx 35) this year than last (approx 20) which may change things, but I'm sure you'd fit in.

Can't comment on MSB or EOSB as I've never been on one of them, but I dare say they are v similar.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cogaula,

Just got back from a fantastic first time in Dolomites in Corvara.

Do:

1. Take your low intermediate friends to The Edelweisstal above Colfosco where in uncrowded conditions they will build confidence;

2. Go for the 5 course Ladin gastronomic at the Posta Zirm every Monday 25 Euro;

DON'T

Take your mixed ability group down the Hidden Valley

a) starting from Armentarola after 2 pm or

b) on anything other than a cloud/mist free day.

I speak from experience in saying that either of these conditions (and in our case both) incline the troops to mutiny!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chesterblade, Starting from Armenterola after 2pm is making the experience difficult! We try and get there by around 11am, this gives you time to do the "Cinque tore" before lunch and then leisurely do the hidden valley! You may still get the crowds in Corvara but have had an enjoyable day skiing to make up for the wacky races in the evening!

Hidden valley must be done on a cloud/mist free day as they will miss the stunning views!

Glad you had a great vacation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cipria, I'm on the wrong side of 50 and been on the BB and EOSB last year and I would describe my skiing as similar to yours. I'm going back this year for the same trips. As SteveM says, you will find plenty of people to ski with and will want to return next year. Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SteveM, geepee, Thanks for the reassurance! Slight change of plans now, probably Austria for two weeks in February, so not sure about MSB..... have got good deal on a flat through a friend of mine, so am going to splurge on joinging and organised group off pisteurs....Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
last line should have read..... of joining an organised group of off pisteurs (no it wasn't a glass of wine!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roy Hockley

I took a mixed ability group down the Hidden Valley a few years ago,comforted by descriptions of the run as an 'easy red'. One guy with about 3 weeks skiing experience really struggled at the very top and then towards the end, just past the frozen waterfall. He ended up taking his skis of and walking. I wouldn't call it an 'easy' red.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pjd, It is a shame your pal bottled it, hope it did not put him off sliding for good! Did I really say it was easy? I would classify it as an easy red though!

Agreed the top 100m is steep where you turn left down the red, but it is wide! Then it is a gentle run until as you say you get to the frozen waterfall, this is also wide but usualy icy as the sun does not seem to get there! I have taken 3 weekers and would say that not particulary good 3 weekers and they managed fine, slow but fine! It does depend on how they are guided down the tricky parts. I would not dare say meet you at the bottom, I would guide them down slowly and side to side using every inch of piste that is available.

Personally I find the hardest bit the bit at the end before the last restaurant and before you take the horse tow! For me that is the toughest as it is as flat as a pancake, that is hard work!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley - yes, I think in retrospect we should have led our 3 weeker a bit better! He hasn't come skiing with us since and refused to do the horse thing at the end!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd, That is sad, as the whole of the Super Dolomiti area is sooooo beautiful! Would you go back?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley -yes,would definitely go back. The year after a few of us went to Cortina again and this year am going to Selva .Have been there in the summer but not winter.looking forward to it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We loved Selva, the "Luislkeller" has a great apres ski atmosphere, but then again I love "eurocheese" Embarassed
snow conditions
I'll lookout for thAt place - I too like my fix of germaneuropop . Are there any places up on the mountain near Selva that are good après ski places ~ the sort of openair 'umbrella ' bArs you get in Austria on the slopes
snow conditions
pjd, We always went down to Selva as there were others in our group taking lessons and wanted to spend a bit of time with them! Remember having a number of pints and coffee's up the slope but always got down for the session! The place is right in front of the "track" when you come down from the Dantercepies side!
ski holidays
pjd, Yes there are, on the Champinoi lift side
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
We loved Selva, the "Luislkeller" has a great apres ski atmosphere, but then again I love "eurocheese" Embarassed

Or the ski school bar for a less cheesey experience. wink It needs to be a busy week for the ski school bar to be busy and their parties are good.
snow report
Have done the past 5 Christmas' in the Dolomites with Colletts - staying Pedraces. Two plugs; Colletts have always been superb, lovely helpful staff and an extended family atmosphere that keeps us coming back. Secondly, the Dolomites, and the Selle Ronda in particular is a fantastic day out, we have done several circuits, in both directions, and it never fails to please, a couple of observations (that reinforce things already mentioned on this theme):
- a clear day is best because the views are very much part of the buzz
- if you can only do one selle circuit; suggest clockwise has more ski time than anti-clock (although ant-clock you get to do the classic Dantrecheppies (missspelling sorry) into Selva
- couple of bottlenecks, and points where people stop on the steepest corners (seemingly to take phonecalls, he said in grumpy-old-git mode)
-we were skiing in from Pedraces, so had to traverse the Prolongia before starting the circuit at Covara, but youngest son did it from age 11 (he is now a hulking 15) and still got around in time for a late lift up the Santa Croce, a boot of gluvine and a zapp down to the village ahead of the piste bashers.

Wishing all well in Dolomites Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi all,

First time poster here, doing a one week ski holiday in Vigo Di Fassa. It seems pretty clear from what I'm reading in this thread that we'll be able to access the Sella Ronda from Vigo, and based on what I'm reading from Luigi, there seems to also be a way to get to the Hidden Valley from the Sella Ronda. It's also tempting to have a look at Cortina from the Hidden Valley, but I can't see how it would be possible to ski there from Cinque Torri. How would one get from Cinque Torri to Cortina without a car?

Lastly, is it insane to think of attempting to ski from Vigo Di Fassa to Cortina and back in one day for two 30-something skiers (High Intermediate skill and solid strength and conditioning? If you know of a better idea of doing the Hidden Valley/Cortina, please feel free to let me know, since I'm quite unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks!
snow conditions
yardbird, There is no direct connection to the Sella Ronda from Vigo, looking at the map you would have to get a bus along the valley to Campitello or Canazei from where there are lifts that take up to the Sella Ronda. There is no way you will able to go to Cortina and back in the day from Vigo. You should be ok for the hidden valley and the Cinque Torri if you catch the first lift in the morning and dont spend to much time over lunch.
ski holidays
Riverman, good to know, thanks. There's a ski bus near my hotel which should get me to the starting point of the Sella Ronda, so I'll try to get the earliest bus/lift to enjoy the Hidden Valley. Since Cortina is too far to arrive by skiing, is there any way to get there using a bus from some other point on the Sella Ronda? I'd just like to have a short look around and lunch....
ski holidays
yardbird, Firstly you cannot ski to Cortina from the Sella Ronda unless you go Ski touring which would take more than a day. There is a ski bus connection to Cortina from the bottom of the Lagazuio cable car which is the access to the hidden valley. I dont think you would have time to go to Cortina and back to Vigo using this route.
snow report
While skiing in Cortina is being talked about, what are my options for spending ski time in Cortina if I'm staying in Arabba ?

It's my third time back to Arabba and did the Cinque Torri/Hidden Valley as part of a trip the first year and can remember looking down at Cortina from the Cinque Torri and thinking I must go and ski there.

Any ideas/experience appreciated and is it actually worth it ? I at least want to do the Cinque Torri again.
ski holidays
pokemon, The only option is to get a group together and hire a taxi to take you to Cortina and back. You could get to Cortina by skiing and ski bus but you would have very little time to ski the Cortina area.
snow report
riverman, any ideas on the price I should expect ? and do you think a day trip to Cortina is worthwhile ?
latest report
pokemon, No idea what the local taxi charges are, but from talking to a few people last year who missed the last lifts they were not cheap.
Have not skied the Cortina area mainly due to the transport/cost problems so cannot comment on it being worthwhile. I have a piste map for the Cortina area and it looks like you would need a minimum of two days to cover the area properly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pokemon, I have done a day trip to Cortina, being based in Arabba, and it is worthwhile. However the trip was 'orgainsed' by the TO - Inghams IIRC.
snow report
riverman, CP, cheers. I'm hoping my friend goes, as he spoke about hiring a car for the airport transfer, so we could get him to drive there. I'm going with Neilsons again this year but can't remember that they did this as a trip last year. Inghams don't go to Arabba now, as of this season.
snow conditions
pokemon, If you have a car then a trip to Cortina is no problem from Arabba. You can leave Cortina when you like as you are not having to get the last lift for Arabba which is about 4.45 from the Passo Campolongo. I go to Arabba with Colletts who also do Corvara and Pedraces.
ski holidays
From this thread I have loads of very helpful info re the Sella Ronda circuit and hidden valley run- thanks to all the posters.
A few general questions re Corvara:
Where are the nursery slopes located? Is it possible to walk everywhere in the village or must one use the ski-bus
Where are the best pistes for those in our group that are of a very nervous disposition and not long of the nursery slopes?
Best place to rent skis?
Can’t wait to go
Very Happy
ski holidays
Louis, I have never stayed in Corvara only skied through it many times so cannot answer all your questions. Corvara is however the one of the best locations on the Sella Ronda for easy access to blue runs on the Alta Badia area which is a large area with about twenty blue runs and to Colfosco the next village going towards Selva which i think has a some good blue runs and one of the best nursery slopes anywhere. The nursery slope in Corvara is from memory in the centre of the village.
ski holidays
yardbird, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

And I should also say that, last year we stayed in Campitello and it was worthwhile having a small excursion one day to go up to Alba (top of Val di Fassa) and ski around the area on the "other" side of Val di Fassa from Sella Ronda via Ciampac and Buffaure. Not big, but certainly uncrowded and a few enjoyable runs. Brings you back down into Pozza di Fassa, and then you could skibus back up or down the valley.
snow report
I'm returning to the Sella Ronda after about 12 years away. San Cassiano is where I first learned to ski (or at least ski decently after a couple of weeks in Romania and Bulgaria). We're staying in San Cassiano at half term. I'm hoping to ski the classic off piste itinerary through the middle of the Sella Gruppe - the Val Mezdi, accessed by cable car to Passo Pordoi. Has anyone else done it? Anyone with recommendations of good local mountain guides? I am the only one in our family group wanting to do it so will need to team up with others.
latest report
StanBowles, We're out there in two weeks time and Admin is looking at arranging some off piste guides. We might be able to recommend one on our return.
snow conditions
geepee, Excellent. Many thanks. When are you back and where are you staying when you are out there? I travel on Feb 13 so I don't know if you will be back before I head out (and away from my computer!).
ski holidays
StanBowles, we are back by Sun 7 Feb so should have a week to exchange details found. We will be in Arabba when out there.
ski holidays
Thanks SteveM and Riverman for the helpful advice. This forum has been a big help to me!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 31-01-10 1:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Louis, Corvara is a smallish place but there are 2 basic starting points for lifts.

One is at the Col Alto gondola which takes you up to the slopes between Corvara and St Cassiano. These are mainly easy blue slopes (especially the nice long run down to St Cassiano) but to get back you have to go down piste '8' which at one point is perhaps a little bit sharp for a very nervous novice.

The other is about 400m across the village where the Boe gondola, the chairlift to Colfosco, and another chair (by which you can eventually work your way back to the slopes which Col Alto serves) depart. Beginners in Corvara can ski off a drag just beyond the last mentioned chair.

The better place to head to for the beginners and hesitant skiers I think is Colfosco, and the slopes above, only 2 chairs away, since there are numerous very easy slopes and nothing remotely difficult for when you return home. The Edelweisstal (Val Stella Alpina) behind Colfosco is a beautiful little area for dead easy skiing. Plus you may bump into the King of Sweden who the guide book says hangs out there.

The 2 departure points in Corvara are connected by a very frequent skibus which I believe notionally you need a ticket for (provided free to us by our 2 star b and b) but noone seems to ask to see your ticket. The bus does a roughly clockwise lap of the whole village, taking in the accomodation at the bottom of the village around Str Sga.

The ski hire shop right by the Col Alto lift has the great advantage of keeping your skis and boots overnight so you don't have to hike up from your accomodation with boots and skis. They'll also store skis and boots of your own for 3 euro a day. On the other hand if your accomodation is near a ski bus stop it's not much of an issue. Also if you end up skiing from the second starting point mentioned you need to get the bus or walk from the skihire at Col Alto anyway.

This
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy