Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Greg, at the moment it does seem that the sunnier/windier sides have a much stronger/firmer/thicker crust underneath the fresh snow.. down under 2200m this is the case more generally, so in my opinion (and based on a few pits over the last 7 days) I have been happy to ski these sides - while still avoiding anything steep or threatened... For the north facing stuff it is quite likely these hoar layers will be there for quite some time (possibly even the whole winter), which is definitely a problem - its the same set-up that led to a really bad year for avalanche incidents 3 (?) years back - shallow snow pack early season + cold cold temps setting up big hoar layers, followed by big dumps of snow...

But hey, its all going to change in the next 48 hours!!! Smile rain to 2200m apparently, so all the nice fluffiness of today will be gone..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite a bit of fresh snow today, visibility limited but actually not too bad if you chose your spots. Pistes seemed a lot busier (for the short time we were on them..), but good conditions first thing.
Some good off-piste to be found with a bit of nosing around and careful route choice - we managed to sneak in first tracks down Les Avals (definitely worth avoiding the Pyramides entry and going for the longer traverse/flat entry from Roc Merlet), the Petite Rosiere (some awesome skiing high up, and the lower section still in good shape considering lack of snow) and a great run at the end of the day down to Le Raffort from Olympique (again worth staying left of the Roc de Fer on the approach to avoid loaded slopes).

But as mentioned above, rain due to 2200m tomorrow so who knows what will happen next!!!

Petite Rosiere:

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This rain thing is depressing. I'm headed to Courchevel on Jan 7th. If you believe the forecasts on J2Ski they're forecasting a dump on friday with cooling temperatures. Let's hope we get at leaat cooling temperatures and some snow
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

they're forecasting a dump on friday with cooling temperatures.

Please let that be the case, and let it snow from Friday until around mid-day on 10 January. At that point, for the next week, sunshine during the day and nightly top-ups of snow, please. Thank you. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Laughing Amen!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowHead snowHead snowHead

selfish snowhead idiot Laughing i'm headed there on the 7th so I woud swap "mid-day on 10 January" with "evening of 7 january". Then we're friends
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bit damp down low today, but most definitely snowing above 2200m, and some clear patches in the sky made for good skiing up high. We found good powder today in a few places but much care is still needed with a very unstable snowpack. Pistes in pretty good condition generally considering, so roll on the drop in temperatures on Thursday/Friday..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great conditions around Mont du Vallon this morning but rain below 200m in the afternoon, snowing hard this evening in Val T. But wettish to begin with. Looking forward to cooler temps and some sun later in the week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh ooh ooh - forecast is looking good for the weekend and next week snowHead snowHead Colder temps and SNOW snowHead Yes, I know things can change but it doesn't hurt to get excited Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy, last week was -23/-33, fog, flat light, heavy snow, heavy rain, white outs, 65k winds and avalanche 4/5 but it was still Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley snowHead . Have a great week!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anarchicsaltire, so pretty similar conditions to Hemel then? Madeye-Smiley I haven't read about your trip to VT - have you posted somewhere? Did mountaingoat enjoy his new skis? Off in 10 days' time to Courchevel - getting VERY excited now, but also a bit concerned about my fitness.......
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, Just the same as Hemel, but quieter, though just as many bodies littering the slopes and more expensive drinks and food! M got on well with his planks, dissapeared through the powder, crud and bumps whilst I struggled due to lack of fitness and technique. The only time I could keep up with him or get past was on smooth icy pistes! Some of the lessons must have worked though, lost it on a bumpy steep red with 8" of soft snow on top managed to complete five turns bouncing from bump to bump with my body over the front,back up and down sides before I was under control again, promptly lost it a few turns later, probably 'cos I was laughing at myself so much. I am sure you will have a great time!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heavy rain at 1400m this morning has turned to heavy snow this afternoon, and it's still snowing now
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anarchicsaltire, Laughing Laughing

Patch, woohooo! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey Guys, First post here just found this place, what a gem! Heading out to Meribel on 09/01/2010 so keep the updated resort snow info coming. Very Happy. Who else is out there that week, has anybody been to any good live gigs this year? I have friend out there playing a few spots, has anybody got any recommendations?
ski holidays
rhodesm, welcome to Snowheads. Was still snowing in Meribel until about an hour ago, and more forecast.
ski holidays
Awesome! I am so glad a forum like this is running with people who are actually out there. So for those who have been through a few seasons in the 3 valleys, what are your favourite runs/routes? Where are the secret cracking off piste bits? And where are your favorites for a cheeky Beer?
snow report
Mixed bag today, heavy on runs below about 2300m, fantastic snow above that. Saulire couloirs, and pistes in wonderful condition, but avalanche risk still high

rhodesm, what sort of runs are you looking for? Some of the best reds are Jerusalem (to St Martin), Combe Vallon, and Combe Saulire has been in excellent condition for the past few days. For off piste, possibilities are endless.
latest report
Will be in Brides le Bain from 09/01. First time there so looking forward to it........ Very Happy
snow conditions
iiyama, I expect you know it is qite a trek up the bubble to Meribel. Once you get there, you are in the middle of what many believe to be the best piste skiing in Europe. Buy the whole area pass if you are intermediate standard. The lifts link so well you can get around very quickly.

snowHead
snow report
Hey guys, first post I'm off to VT in the morning with 5 mates for 2 weeks.

Snows lookimng good will post details:P
ski holidays
Snow looking good at 3 valleys... a few more days of dumping before we arrive on 3rd and start skiing on 4th! I've not been to 3 valleys before... we're based in Meribel, can someone give me a heads up as to a great place to start... which lift? which runs? Have a couple of places available in a fantastic chalet if anyone is interested?
snow report
randygoodlove, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Looks like there'll be some snow the beginning of next week and then a serious drop of temps towards the end of the week Skullie . Better remember to take a woolly Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It's been snowing pretty steadily since yesterday morning. Today, up to 3 inches of fresh snow on most pistes, and very, very quiet. However, visibility above about 2200m very bad. Snowline last night at about 1100m.
ski holidays
Patch, keep it coming - I'm there in two weeks exactly snowHead
snow report
Getting so excited, this time next week I'll be at the Rond Point with a nice beverage. Quick question for the seasoned Meribelers and in particular those who stay in Motterat. Where is best to park free/cheapest etc?

Thanks
latest report
rhodesm, If you go right to the top of Mottaret you can usually park for free outside the Hameau. Beware, though. It is at about 1800m and i have seen cars fill up with snow and freeze solid. You can also get into the underground car at the same place, if weather is very cold and snowy and you think that might be a threat to you. Go right up to the top and go into the car park on the right after the wooden bridge across the road that carries the Chalets lift. There is also plebty of free parking at various places on the way up the hill.

snowHead
latest report
Thanks Man, I think Ill try at the top first is the free parking on the way up obvious?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rhodesm, Yes. From Meribel you go through a tunnel to get to Mottaret and about 10 minutes up the road. As you come into Mottaret itself, there is a little roundabout at which you turn right to go up the hill. There is free parking at various places up that hill. If you go right to the top you have certain advantages like access to a lift pass office in the Hameau and the chance to ski down into the lifts. The first one you come to offers a quick link to Val T if that is where you are going. No finer place for piste skiing in my mind.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
iiyama, I expect you know it is qite a trek up the bubble to Meribel. Once you get there, you are in the middle of what many believe to be the best piste skiing in Europe. Buy the whole area pass if you are intermediate standard. The lifts link so well you can get around very quickly.

snowHead

Never been there Chris so I didnt know, only ever been to Austria before. Two of us going but havent been on ski's for 2 years so although we were of intermediate standard, thnat standard has probably slipped a bit!

We have got whole area pass' so gotta say that I am really looking forward to it! T-5 days and counting!
ski holidays
rhodesm, looking at the temperatures coming up money spent on covered parking could be good value - we had several towed away from here, at just 1550m, over the very cold period before Christmas. And one of our neighbours, who runs the restaurant, so is used to the cold, spent quite a while one morning thawing out his car enough to open the doors. I was very thankful we had a covered parking space, even if it did cost 13,000 euros. wink Saved me using the little bottle of diesel additive I've had for the last five years!
ski holidays
iiyama, If the snow is down as far as the 2nd Gondola station you can ski back to it to catch the gondola going down rather than getting it from Meribel. Raffort is an fairly easy pisted run or you can do a gentle off piste ride through the trees till you get to the road that runs past the station. You can rent boot and ski lockers at the Brides station from the shop inside, saves you carting your kit up the hill every day, get there quickly though as they are limited. Lots of great runs but avoid Ours unless you have a high boredom factor, are a freeheeler or want to do combe du vallon!
snow conditions
pam w, Thanks for the advice, what are the parking charges like for a week in the underground car park?

Its snowing like mad in the UK, as it looks like tempos are dropping over there, hows the weather and snow conditions?
snow report
rhodesm, personally i wouldnt bother with underground in mottaret as once you park the car for the week thats it, no need for car transport in resort IMO. plenty of free parking in the le chatelet car park on a flat surface

i have a few downloads on my site for runs, beers,etc.
ski holidays
Snow is forcast down to 600m by next Saturday, so how does that figure for the 2nd gondola station?
snow conditions
iiyama, While 600m is well below le Raffort and Les allues gondola stations, they will need a lot of snow before its really skiable to those villages. Problem is, there is no base at all at the moment, and while snow has been on the ground at that altitude several times over the last few weeks, it hasn't stayed long, since the freezing level has been up and down like a NAAFI girl's knickers, and any snow has been washed away a day or two later. My advice is stay high - the pistes have been in fantastic shape up on the Saulire.
snow conditions
Thanks bud, just showing my ignorance of the area!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
4-6 inches of fresh at 850m this morning - time for some more powder I feel...
ski holidays
There was abaout a foot in 1650 village this morning and more up the hill. Avalanche cannons used overnight and high avalanche risk posted but most pistes open and lots of soft stuff on them
snow report
Woohooo! That'll do very nicely...... perhaps just a little more during the week to top things up and keep it fresh Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy