Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
paulmclean85, Very Happy take a flask too! There is still plenty of off piste about... just not up there!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marcellus wrote:
skimum wrote:
marcellus, nooooooo please don't say that Sad , why do you think it'll be another busy new year?

One of our businesses is "Bespoke holidays in the Grand Massif" ... we were doing a search for something (Self Catered) for NYE week and were struggling to find anything decent in the Morillon side and I know that all of the Les Carroz catered chalets are already sold out.

So to me it looks as though the chalet market is virtually full and assume that the apartment sector is too...

Web-sites of Agencies in Les Carroz seem to have plenty of self-catering for the week commencing 26th Dec
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevo_the_saddler, I doubt I will be treking anywhere dangerous..just looking for some good clean fun! This is why I'm looking for some skiers to show me around/guide me. I'm from the East cost US and have never had a beacon/probe/shovel setup so will be experiencing all of that for the first time as well. I'm a fast learner and am eager to experience what GM has to offer..without involving "lethal off piste".

I won't be arriving til early January but should I post something on here (and where on snowheads shall i post) about getting a group together? especially season stays?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in Flaine 26 Dec to 2nd Jan with my girlfriend, she will go in ski school some of the time (been 2 weeks before), I'm ok so would like to meet up with others,

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-11-09 14:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulmclean85, vermont powder,

Firstly just to advise you to pick up your Avalanche safety gear your side of the pond (I''ve been buying bits and pieces such as the BCA inlonometer at $30.50 delivered to the UK versus £34.95 + delivery! That said snowsafe have some good offers on an avalungs, shovel and probe bundle.....just the magic tranceiver needed but most of this kits is priced in USD what it costs in GBP here.

Next as VP is buying the kit, and I've just acquired mine over the past few months do either of you fancy combining for training as I expect Paulmclean85 maybe able to help us get up to speed?

I beleive somewhere in Chamonix offers a free training course (there are paid ones too) and transceiver refreshers but cannot currently find the links for that. I managed to do the AV safety course in Tignes during the extended period of snow and no skiing recently so the time wasn't entirely wasted. When do you paulmclean85, arrive in Samoens (I'll PM you if that helps (?) with contact numbers and location too) snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jivebaby, I would definitely be interested in combining for training and I have contact info for courses in cham that i read in lonely planet. I don't have it on my at the moment but I will let you know soon. This is the beacon I'm probably going to get http://www.backcountryaccess.com/english/products/tracker_dts.php and then I'm looking into a probe/shovel combo. Also you guys should look into a pair of these bad boys http://www.backcountryaccess.com/english/products/climbing_skins.php so we can really get into some serious touring!

That's all for now I'll PM/email you the info about free avy courses in cham. later!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone know of a good ski school in Flaine. We don't know where we are staying till we arrive and my girlfriend wants to book lessons, probably 3 days of 2.5 hours per morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
k1orange, ZigZag:

If you scroll upwards you will see that Drluvski asked exactky the same question above. Puzzled Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Lou,

For info about dog sledding in and around the Giffre Valley, contact the Samoëns Office of Tourism - they take bookings for a dog sledding company that do the rounds of several resorts and so are only really available in Samoëns one day per week this season apparently. They book up in advance over busy dates for this reason.

For snowmobiling, you should contact Jean Marc at MotoNeige (+33 4 50 34 40 84), who run snowmobile rides from the hotel Au Rendez-vous des Skieurs at 1600m after the lifts have closed. You get to drive your own snowmobiles through all the forest tracks while the pistes are being groomed - kids love it and no licences are necessary. This is great in combination with a dinner at the hotel restaurant afterwards.

Otherwise, you can go snowshoeing in the evening to eat dinner in a Mongolian yourt - something different if nothing else. We can help arrange this with our snowshoeing guide if you're interested.

Hope this helps!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads ZigZag Ski School! Good to see you on here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ZigZag Ski School, when will you be in resort for a quick chat?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will be in Samoens w/c 27/03 and possibly week before too to try out new Chariande for myself. Looking forward to hear feedback on people going in December.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
XPeak, Is it definately in then... this lift has been talked about for ages
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ZigZag Ski School, welcome and thank you very much Very Happy

I love the sound of the snowmobiling in particular and am sure the Birthday would be very impressed. How handy would that hotel be given that we will be staying in Flaine Foret? Will have our car.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't know if any of you saw but nice piece on Samoens in The Independent last weekend : http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/samo235ns-a-resort-that-goes-down-a-treat-1824608.html. Pictures of Chariande I received from local partners two weeks ago certainly look good. See them here http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/features/snow-snippets-update-samoens/
snow report
Myself and my girlfriend are doing a season in Morillon. We're here at the moment, just waiting for the lifts to open!
snow conditions
Sethi, where abouts in Morillon.. keep an eye out for a UK plated Land Rover Defender which is blue with a white roof wink
ski holidays
Sethi, what is the snow like at 1100? I'm due out in 4 weeks, and really want to take my daughter down Marvel.
snow report
m00958, Marvel was open for (I think) the whole season last year. It is a fantastic run and usuall nice and quiet because people assume being green that it is too easy. It is easy, but great fun and picturesque.... I hope the snow Gods smile on you.
snow report
See webcam of Morillon at 1100m on www.grand-massif.com, unfortunately Green/Brown at present BUT it is stuck at 26th Nov!. Slope at 1700m has a smattering of snow so not very good at present. Hope lots falls next week!
latest report
skier52, the webcams were working until the end of last week. There was a decent covering all the way down, but that was straight after the big dump. Well, there were some brown bits at the bottom, but I think they'd been worn away by vehicular access.

Was just wondering how its standing up to the warm weather and rain.
snow conditions
m00958, I was wondering the same thing. There are a few webcams stuck on 26th nov, but I fear that given recent weather conditions this might be pretty close to how it looks now Sad . We've got a chalet in the area and, for the first time since we bought it, are actually there for christmas, arriving 23rd. I'm watching the weather forecasts/webcams anxiously (as I do every year) and getting increasingly worried by what I see, I know there's still over 2 weeks before we get there and that a lot can change in that time but.........

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 7-12-09 9:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Places above about 1100 have good snow, the higher parts of the GM are looking good but after last nights rain all of the snow has gone from the Griffe Valley plains.
ski holidays
Me too skimum! We're arriving out on the 24th. However the most recent GFS weather forecasts show it being very cold on 9th Dec, then after a brief warmer blip a general concensus towards colder weather. Could all change of course ...

Thanks for the update marcellus - much appreciated.
snow conditions
They're forecasting snow for tonight, Tuesday all day, Wednesday night and all day Thursday.

Currently raining here at 700m
latest report
marcellus, Thanks, I hope it does as we arrive in Flaine on the 17th.
snow report
mfj197, yes I'm seeing the colder weather that is forecast, but I want to see snow as well! I've got everything crossed!

marcellus, thanks for the info. I don't mind rain at 700m but according to forecasts I've looked at the freeze level is over 2000m, any idea if that's accurate?
ski holidays
The cams are updating again on the main Grand Massif website (www.grand-massif.com)

It looks okay at the top of the Sairon... but shocking at the bottom Sad

Come on the snow!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm flying down Thursday and live in Haywards Heath.

Wondering if there's anyone close-ish that could take a set of bookshelf speakers down if they are driving?

They are around the size of a ski-boot bag each (which is what they are packed in)= at the moment I'm planning to take them as my hand luggage. Complicated eh? Cool
snow report
m00958, I kinda wish they hadn't updated now, I have to say that none of it looks good Sad
I know that this is very early, especially for the lower resorts, but this time last week it was all looking very promising, I have to admit that I'm beginning to get a little anxious now.
snow conditions
There was snow at 1100 but it has been raining so it has melted slightly. But as someone mentioned above, there is good snow forecasted for the rest of the week - so looks promising. We had a massive dump here at 700m last week which has lasted. Don't panic!

If any other seasonaires want to meet up, let me know.

Cheers
snow report
Sethi, That would be grreat. Arrive Thursday and will PM. Cool
ski holidays
skimum, just took another look at the webcam... save yourself the heartache, don't look! Crying or Very sad (Obviously you will now I've said that Toofy Grin )

Sethi, where are you getting your info from? The raw data I'm looking at from meteociel.fr isn't showing anything but a general cooling. Certainly very little chance of precipitation over the next week. At least they'll be able to turn on the snow guns with the colder weather coming in.

Does anyone know if Marvel has snow gun coverage? I don't remember seeing any poles, and the piste map doesn't show where they have snow guns.
ski holidays
m00958, It does have cannons I think... but unlikely to be used, they rarely use the snow cannons in my experience.
snow conditions
Now I come to think about it I'm not sure Marvel does have cannons. It was open both times I went last year, but the two previous years it was closed when I was there. This was primarily due to the top of the slope (at the top of the Sairon chairlift) which is slightly south-facing, and had melted.

I could be wrong about the cannons though!
snow conditions
Hi Marcellus I hope your well mate a few months since we lasted corresponded.

We are coming out to our appartment in Flaine Montsoleil on Friday 18 December, snow is not looking great on the webcams but hey ho, we dont go back till 2nd of Jan FANTASTIC!!

Then out again Feb half term & April, as always my season pass has just turned up, I can't wait, I hope to catch up with you at some point.

Keep us updated on the snow as I am, glad you said you reckon its going to snow for the next few days, forcast on SCGB is tonight only Crying or Very sad

Out of interest if the snow levels are bad will the GM make the stuff seen loads of cannos but never on Puzzled

Cheers Mutt
snow conditions
I've got a flight booked for Friday 11 December, returning Monday. Marcellus, plse keep the reports coming because I'm not going to waste money on a hire car if there's nothing to ski on. I hope your forecast is right because it doesn't look too clever at the moment.....
snow conditions
Chris where are you staying mate? Possibility (not confirmed) that another snnowhead may be passing by/via Geneva on Friday en route to Samoens. Just a thought Cool
latest report
Mutley, Chris Mason, No cannons on the Marvel.

Good Cannon coverage elsewhere but for them to be used it's got to be below or near freezing any i think.

As for todays weather, been raining all day at 700m... went upto 1150..... still raining..... locals are saying if it freezes soon then all is not lost as it will give a really good base but temperature here (700m) is still 6.4 at 19.11............................
snow report
marcellus wrote:
Mutley, Chris Mason, No cannons on the Marvel.

Good Cannon coverage elsewhere but for them to be used it's got to be below or near freezing any i think.

As for todays weather, been raining all day at 700m... went upto 1150..... still raining..... locals are saying if it freezes soon then all is not lost as it will give a really good base but temperature here (700m) is still 6.4 at 19.11............................

Marcellus, Oh god that sounds grim, lets hope it snows otherwise I may bring my golf clubs & my Mountan bike Toofy Grin

We will enjoy being away regardless of the weather, I am desperate to get out off blighty Shocked

Keep thew weather updates coming

Jivebaby, Chris is a mate of mine & he also has as place at Montsoleil in Flaine Cool

Mutt
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy