Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Crystal Club Hotel Le Totem in Flaine arriving 10 April for the week
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skier52, who are you working for?

mfj197, same as mine then... at least between us two pairs of skis will be going the same direction.... just not the same pair!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulmclean85, i'm moving to samoens for the season and I am a TOTAL newb. Hope you're willing to show a new gal around town and on the slopes! Do you guys suggest skins/beacons/probes/shovels?? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking to get into..i hope you all are too and are ready to show me the ropes in the alps!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Marcellus, no-one, retired last year (30 years hard labour was enough!) and enjoying skiing in winter and golf in summer Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, Arrive Les Carroz 11am 10.01.2010, so be on the slopes for 12 depart 5pm Wednesday 13.01.2010.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lucan wrote:
marcellus, Arrive Les Carroz 11am 10.01.2010, so be on the slopes for 12 depart 5pm Wednesday 13.01.2010.

Staying in the same place?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, Think so pal, have you got a new place in Morillion?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes moved round the mountain to a 1700s Farm...... slight change in business direction.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good luck with the new venture! Hopefully our paths will cross in Jan.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Marcellus great work -I've asked Admin if they can consider adding a resort diary as this is a great idea but is very hard work.

I've been more frustrated by the difficulty in using the platform than spending 3 days in Tignes this week and only skiing one run! Life goes on...

MEMBERS
Like you I'm slowly trying to ID other snowheads who ski in and around the GM area.

Ideally I would like to be able to click on a user/member name when they have posted in a forum to view all of their posts rather than using the USER FACILITIES/MEMBERLIST/SCROLLS THROUGH NAMES PROCESS.

HOME ICON
Add a "Home" Icon to speed and ease site navigation

RESORT DIARY
We need an Excel type template or better to allow Member Names listed vertically, next more vertical columns for Resorts ticks for Flaine, Samoens, Morillom, Les Carroz and maybe Les Gets, Morzine etc as they are nearby. Then add (Saturdays) dates Left to right with a simple tic or cross in the date box to show if a member is skiing in the area in the date/time frame. It would be great to allow "group" membres on/in the list a direct access PM icon to support easy email for joining ski days together.

Names GM Flaine Samoens Morillon Les Carroz Morzine Les Gets 12.12.09 19.12.09 26.12.09
Jivebaby X X X X X X
Marcellus X X X X X X X X X X
Annie X
Cathy X X X X
Norris X X X X
SnowaddictX
Mel X
Elgrego X

I'd really prefer to keep this SKI DIARY on Snowheads, however if required I can in need rig up a template and new page on my own website to "Host" a resort diary if we can have enough people who want to co-ordinate or liaise more effectively for skiing in and around the Grand-Massif area.

I'm really keen to do this within Snowheads and to automate the process. Any ideas how to progress?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jivebaby, I suspect that whilst using php as the forum software unless someone is really adept at writing user exits then your idea, whilst great will be quite a long time coming if hosted within the forum.

That said, IIRC php does have a "forum diary" as a standard foc feature but it is quite limited in it's functionality...........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, Mmm well suppose one of us PM's :
andy
begsski
bertie bassett
billo89
Bryanbolton
chris Mason
Danjunk
davidof
Dunk
Elgrego
Flyingstantoni
Freestyle
halfhand
Helen beaumont
ice_pie
Jivebaby
Kewhoward
lib-banana
Libertine
Lou
Lucan
Manxmog
Marcellus
Marksovereign
Mel
mfj197
Neilkav
Nessy
Norris
pam w
Paulmclean85
paulie
petem77
reded78
Riverman
Roy hockley
rungsp
Ski Tyke
skier52
Skimummy
slaughter
Snowaddict
snowaddict
Spartan
Steve
stevo_the_saddler
twoodwar
Vermontpowder
waterskibabe
Xpeak
Yoda
and ask them to join a Grand Massif "hosted" list -I can put it on lifebundle.com as it's used for nothing else and as a one page website maybe an acceptable site instead of nicetoski which of course would be easier as it links straight out of snowheads via any posting. I can then insert a hidden email address to forward to members private email addresses if required and run a composite list for any user that wishes to opt into a global email address for "all" members.

This would be much easier to track as othrewise the target track is a moving target in snowheads unless we could adapt the "snowevent" facility to hold multiple dates and users?

We can do this! Cool

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 8-11-09 19:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Other tinned processed "meat" products are available Wink
Calendar stuff's been talked about before, but I won't put my name on a publicly viewable calendar (either external to sH or viewable to non-signed-up sH) telling everyone that I'm away from home.

Anyway, no plans for a GM or PDS trip this season, although I could be up for a PdS MTB trip when the snow's gone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Hi many thanks Andy,

MTB isn't my cuppa, however I can put you in touch with one of my friends (another Andy) who skis and does MTB at a (suicidal) semi pro level if that appeals?

I've had a couple of PM's too so the task is becoming easier to manage as many of the previous posts perhaps commented upon, but rarely skiied the GM.

I'll mention the MTB and PM as you suggest

ATB...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the PM Jivebunny.... I am an infrequent visitor until about this time of year. My dates for Samoens (and the Grand Massif are....

Jan 24-28 (with friends)

Feb 13-21 (with family)

the Jan dates - am happy if anyone wants to "hook up" for a few hours. The Feb dates will be more awkward - but will probably have a few afternoons once the wife and kids are shattered. This is a great idea BTW. I always look for the GM thread for weather and snow report updates. I should have plenty of insider infor this year too as once again we have almost full bookings in our apartment.
latest report
Thanks for the pm, jivebunny

Unlike you lucky people, due to my current circumstances I am highly unlikely to be skiing the GM this year. Sad

A great pity, as the last run of the day Marvel back to Morillon 1100 is a particular favourite.

I wish all of you, all the best in your exploits in the coming season.

elgrego
snow report
Thanks for the pm, Jivebaby. My dates out are above. I'm afraid I'm not particularly interested in a separate calendar - would prefer to keep things in this thread as orchestrated and updated by marcellus above if that's okay. Thanks for the thoughts though!
snow report
Jivebaby, Thanks for the pm. I'm withmfj197, the thread bymarcellus, is sufficient for me. Extra -curricular time is very limited!
snow conditions
marcellus, Just wondered if you know anyone who does small group lessons in Flaine. I have had about 8 weeks of skiing and think its time for a few more lessons. I dont fancy a large ski group with someone like ESF and was looking for small group lessons (3-4people) for about 3 half days. Bass Chamonix did something like this when I was there a couple of years ago. Hoping you or someone can suggest where to go.
snow report
Drluvski, I'd suggest Zigzag http://www.zigzagski.com/index-english.php

I did one day last year and was impressed with the standard of tuition and communication -they are Samoens based but I spent my time with them in Flaine, so I'm sure this would be OK.
snow report
Jivebaby, Thanks for that. They only do large groups with a max of 8,but if the exchange rate improves a bit I might go for 3 hours private tuition.
ski holidays
Jivebaby, possibility of Jan 30th to Feb 2nd for a short break with my wife, but we plan on a return to Courmayeur if the snows worth Skiing, which it was not last time! Other than that we could be there, and probably Samoen if Grand massif. Will come back nearer the time. Thanks for the effort.
snow report
Drluvski I never used any of the schools in Flaine I'm afraid.... you can get 1:3 tutition for about €80 total for 2 hours iirc from ESF......
latest report
so the diary so far;
marcellus - Morillon - all season
paulmclean85 - Samoens - all season
norris - Les Carroz?? - on and off
Skier52 - Les Carroz - all season
Vermont Powder - Samoens - all Season

danjunk - Flaine - 12th December
gsb - Flaine - 17th to 26th December
mfj197 - Verchaix - 24th December to 1st January
Chris Mason - Flaine - 26th December to 2nd January

Libterine - Flaine - 10th January
Lucan - Les Carroz - 10th to 13th January
mfj197 - Verchaix - 23rd to 25th January
Stevo the Sadler - Samoens - 24th January
twoodwar - Samoens - 30th January

Stevo the Sadler - Samoens - 13th February

lib-banana - Les Carroz - 7th to 15th March
skimummy - Samoens - 7th March
mfj197 - Verchaix - 6th to 14th March
Drluvski - Flaine - 27th March
Lou - Flaine - 3rd April

steve - Samoens - 10th April
bryanbolton - Flaine - 10th April
snow report
yeah... the slopes to myself at half term then Puzzled Laughing
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, Apart from the whole of the uk on half term at the same time! Laughing Where you been? - the LFDS forum has been a bit quiet of late.
ski holidays
steve, Indeed - twas like flogging a dead horse! I am a "part time" snowheader... but it is now th time of year to start joining in again.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
yeah... the slopes to myself at half term then Puzzled Laughing

As I was updating the list I had exactly the same thoughts......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have a chalet in the area and have various dates booked from 23rd december, there tends to be a lot of us of varying abilities so not really practical to meet up but nice to know there are fellow snowHead around.
stevo_the_saddler, we're there for half term and I'm remaining optimistic, I'm hoping that the recession has stopped a lot of people booking and we'll have the place to ourselves wink
ski holidays
skimum, Here's a super hint then... the second Saturday (20th) will be lovely and quiet on the slopes... twas last year - mainly as everyone else was in their cars between the villages and Cluses Laughing

GM at half term is nowhere near as bad as most "popular" resorts anyway - never really been an issue for us... I guess local knowledge help you avoid the bottle necks.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, yes totally agree, we did that last season for half term - went out on the friday and came home on the sunday - so had 2 lovely quiet saturdays on the slopes and no hold ups on the motorways Very Happy One thing that did strike us last season was how busy new year was, we'd never known it like that and neither had any of the locals we spoke too Confused
snow conditions
skimum, we've groups of varying abilities as well so you're not alone there! From 27 Dec we've a couple where bloke has skied loads but it's the first time his other half has tried it, and in early March a similar thing. Shame about your New Year info though - Kate and I are out from Christmas Eve until New Years' Day so hope it won't be too hectic!
snow report
Hate to say it guys but I think New Years week will be a busy one again!!

Last year it was the busiest week of the Season in Les Carroz.
ski holidays
marcellus, nooooooo please don't say that Sad , why do you think it'll be another busy new year?
snow report
Bother! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
skimum wrote:
marcellus, nooooooo please don't say that Sad , why do you think it'll be another busy new year?

One of our businesses is "Bespoke holidays in the Grand Massif" ... we were doing a search for something (Self Catered) for NYE week and were struggling to find anything decent in the Morillon side and I know that all of the Les Carroz catered chalets are already sold out.

So to me it looks as though the chalet market is virtually full and assume that the apartment sector is too...
snow conditions
vermont powder, this will be my first season in Samoens/Grand Massif so i'll not be much use in showing you around! not for the first few weeks anyway... I've invested in beacon, shovel and probe for this winter having spent a pretty frustrating winter in Val D'Isere last year borrowing/renting equipment which is far from ideal. I'd say those 3 bits of kit are the minimum if you want to do any kind of off-piste/backcountry. I haven't got a set of skins but i'd love to get invloved in that sort of thing if i get the opportunity.
snow report
vermont powder, paulmclean85, If you have ever seen Flaine in the summer... you will be well aware of the dangers of venturing off piste high up. There are pictures in the main gondola station of the area in summer to help explain just how dangerous it is. For great off-piste head to the Gers bowl which has (a very rickerty) drag lift serving the area. Also the off-piste in Samoens and Morillon is arguably a lot safer.
latest report
vermont powder, paulmclean85, I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but please bear in mind some of the terrain particularly around the top of Flaine can be lethal off piste. One of the gouffres is amongst the deepest in the world.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, steve, i plan on carrying a rope and some extra sandwiches so they shouldn't be an issue.

In all seriousness, i've read the posts, seen the pics and spoken to a guy who ended up in a smaller one apparently so i'm already aware of the dangers and will be staying well clear! Cheers for the heads up though, much appreciated
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy