Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads! I am new to all this forum posting business, so may not be in the right place... staying in Samoens for half term week (not my choice...but better than no snow at all this year) my son and his mate are making their own way to our appartment from Flaine forum-where the snowexpress coach drops them off--Does anyone know if there are any buses that run from flaine to samoens? or will we have to book a taxi?-I checked one taxi website and was quoted 70 euros for a 7km taxi ride-surely that cant be right....?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbaby, welcome to Snowheads....... I'm pretty sure that there is a bus that runs round albeit very infrequently... I'm really not sure who runs it..... as for the taxi fare... sounds about right to me... it's not 7km more like 35km I would have thought (pure guess.... 15k Samoens to Chatillon, 12 chatillon to Carroz and then 10k carroz to Flaine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead's

Samoens good choice nice town with some good restaraunts and good access to Grand Massif. With new lift should be better. Awesome ski school there too ZigZagSki.

Quote:

7km taxi ride

As the crow flies but you gotta go round the mountain in a taxi.

Some of my mates got stuck in Flaine when the lift closed during the day and got a bus back. I think the bus is on the lift pass so likely only runs during the day.

Is the snow express coach droping them from the airport or is it a bus from the UK? They could try cham express or morzine express who have very reasonable transfers from Geneva. Ski lifts were also very goood when I used them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ( no technique but will try anything especially if there are others onit ) and the family - wife ( great technique - lacks speed) -
5 year old son ( now has own skis and want to ski the BIG mountain)

Are all out there for the week from 2nd Jan

will have to look at going in march as it seems tha favorite month
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus wrote:
snowbaby, welcome to Snowheads....... I'm pretty sure that there is a bus that runs round albeit very infrequently... I'm really not sure who runs it..... as for the taxi fare... sounds about right to me... it's not 7km more like 35km I would have thought (pure guess.... 15k Samoens to Chatillon, 12 chatillon to Carroz and then 10k carroz to Flaine.

Embarassed
why didnt I think of that?!! I was in Flaine last christmas, and remember the very twisty road up to the resort! I forgot that all distances are quoted as 'the crow flys'-the lads are on a coach from london all the way- but I did see that on my last years skibus timetable that there is a airport shuttle that does the rounds--sixt-flaine-les carroz-samoens etc--might phone them and see if they do fares between resorts- the lads will have no baggage as Im carrying for them-perhaps I will get them to take their gear with them so they can drop over by cascades and then shuttle to Sam's!! they would probably love that!! Or if we can time it right we could just drop our stuff and do a last drive ourselves to collect the bus lagged babies!
cheers for that-cant wait for the trip-usually we go for Christmas,so having to wait longer is a real pain!! Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbaby, welcome to snowheads snowHead Lots of GM experts on the site but I was told last year there wasn't a ski bus bus out of Flaine (we had some non-skiers who were getting cabin fever in Flaine - understandable!
Not sure if you're serious about Cascades - very iffy on when its open, but if they can ski straight off the bus much better bet to ask to jump out at Les Carroz and navigate the lifts from there.
Good luck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbaby, just remembered, there's something on the piste map about a paid service from Sixt at the end of the day back to Flaine - wrong way around I know but thought I'd mention it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not sure if you're serious about Cascades - very iffy on when its open, but if they can ski straight off the bus much better bet to ask to jump out at Les Carroz and navigate the lifts from there

thanks for the advice-am now getting lads to drop off in Cluses so I can pick them up nearer-they can eat and shop while waiting-hurrah!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a quick note. Thursday 16th december There is alot of snow on the road up to and down to flaine so If you are going to flaine on saturday you may need chains as it was very very slippery, ( a peugeot had spun and crashed into the wall near the new les carroz chair lift) even with permanent 4 wheel drive and winter tyres we slid a very long way around on particular downhill corner into flaine
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz, that must have been a bit scary Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimum, It was not that bad, there was an entrance straight on so we headed for that, then it all gripped so was ok. At the time it could have been a bit Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why the hell don't they grit the roads? So far as I can make out (sitting in London), there has not been much snow since the weekend. When I drove from Flaine to GVA on Monday the roads weren't too bad (snow tyres, but no need for chains) but it sounds as though they have got a lot worse over the last few days.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Mason, becuase they move the snow off the roads... if they tried to melt it then you'd get water and it would freeze.

My leaving a thin layer (ie that the snow plough leaves) using chains or snow tyres can grip into it therefore retain grip..... ice... no chance!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, staying in Verchaix 26th Dec to 2nd Jan looking forward to it and praying for snow
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Staying in Les Carroz 27th Feb to 4th March with 5 mates - interested in any views on nightlife in Les Carroz i.e. is there any?
ski holidays
Staying in Les Carroz with 5 mates 27th Feb to 4th March - interested in any views on nightlife and best places to hang out in Les Carroz
snow report
I'm arriving in Flaine next Saturday 26th (Boxing Day) for a week. Anyone like to meet up, especially in the mornings when my girlfriend is in ski school. Give me a call on +447766504752
latest report
I'll be ariving in Flaine (UCPA Les Lindars) on Saturday, I was wondering of there are any free lifts nearby to grab an hour or so (as lift pass not ativated until Sunday) or is the only way to get a half day pass?

Thanks
snow conditions
Libertine, not sure if there are any "free" lifts in Flaine but you can buy half day passes...
snow conditions
Libertine, There used to be 4 free lifts in the beginners area: The Le Pre chairlift; the bucket lift and the Bissac drag and rope tow lifts. Ok for an hour to get your ski legs back but pretty limited otherwise
latest report
Samoens 24-28th Jan
Samoens 13-21st Feb
ski holidays
Morning all.

3 of us arrive in Les Carroz AM Sunday 10th Jan & leave late evening Wednesday 13th Jan.

We're staying in Les Belles Piste Hotel, anyone who fancies joining us for a pint is more than welcome.

4pm it's normally a quick one in the bar / restaurant on the run back into town, not sure of the name but it's on the right hand side of the piste heading back into Les Carroz, with a terrace.

5.30 -8.00, quick Leffe in Le Marlow, then hit the pitchers of Erdinger in Le Pointe Noire.

8.00+ Dinner, vino & night-cap, (Cognac if you're offering!)

marcellus, Hopfully bump into you around & about at some point on this trip.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 5-01-10 18:59; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Libertine, I agree with Steve - but if you go from the top of the yoghurt pots that lift you from forum to foret you can ski down via a green (a bit flat at the beginning) or a red (usually cut up by end of the day) then down the nursery slope to the bottom of Le pre, back up Le pre, back up the Yoghurt pots and repeat 'ad fatigium' . It's free and about 20 times longer than Xscape/Hemel/MK etc but about 1/20 of the run from the top of Grand Platieres! Enjoy!
ski holidays
Whats the snow like at easter? looking to go 11th April this year
ski holidays
easter is usually ok in the morning.... sun bath in the afternoon!!
ski holidays
easter is usually ok in the morning.... sun bath in the afternoon!!
ski holidays
marcellus, Easter is lovely... get up early, ski till about 2pm, then get to village level and soak up the rays.
snow conditions
Hi - I'm new here - just discovered this website, and VERY impressed so far! Group of us going to Flaine in March, and booking it all separately (flights and accommodation already booked!) - anyone know of a good, reliable private transfer firm we could use - there will be 9 of us (no skis), and flying into Geneva. Been to Flaine last year too, and love it! Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mcphail, welcome... try gomassif.co.uk............... you never know which snowheads you might meet Wink
snow report
Thanks Marcellus - just looked at the website, and the prices are the best so far - so may go with them. Razz
ski holidays
can I ask a bit od advice from the GM experts? We're going to LC for a weekend soon and just wanted a reminder of the quickest/best/easiest (not all the same I'm sure) skiinglinks from LC to Flaine (and LC to Morillion and LC to Samoens for that matter). We are a mixed ability group - all skiers - sometimes it will just be the A team out, othertimes will include early intermediates. Have the new lifts made a big differrence - I'm guessing Molliets has?

snowHead
snow conditions
Carroz to Flaine - Telecabine, Gron, Airelle, Vernant.

Carroz to Morillon - Telecabine, Molliets

Carroz to Samoens - Telecabine, Molliets, lanche.

I've yet to see a queue at the Mollients...
ski holidays
The new Molliets chair seems to be much quicker than old one too, or is that just my imagination?
ski holidays
marcellus, Cheers - fantastic service! Molliets must be a big improvement - was that always the best way to Morillon? I seem to remember some poleing / walking?
snow report
Hi All - I'm new to the forum and have a few questions.

A group of 9 of us will be staying in Samoens for a few days on the 18th January and should hit the slopes at about lunchtime Smile

1. 6 of us are competent skiers and are looking to get the best 'bang for the buck' that first afternoon. Any suggestions of where to head? We were thinking of only getting the Massif pass for that first day but if you think we should head for Flaine let me know.

2. 3 of the party are quite inexperienced (they've each done 3 trips of a couple of days each). Left to their own devices they'll probably potter around the nursery slopes at 1600. I was thinking of taking them up the new lift and then down Dahu or perhaps up Chariande 2 and down Verosse. I went a few years ago and I seem to think they would be ok for beginers. Am I right? A 'lucky' one or two of us will stay with them - we won't just dump them on the mountain Happy

3. Favourite reds in Flaine (or the GM area)? Any suggestions for the first lift to head for when we have made it across from Samoens?

Great forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Phil
ski holidays
e17phil, Welcome along!

1. Massif will be enough for a half day, it gets you as far as Flaine, but you cannot go up the lifts except the one back towards Sameons.

2. Dahu has 1 or 2 tricky narrow parts - get them to follow your (or an experienced persons) tracks on these places and the rest is relatively easy. In fact, the red on the other side of Samoens coming down (forget the name) is actually easier than Dahu.

3. Flaine is all good fun... my faves are from the top of the smaller Gondola - also, if open try "Fred" right at the top RHS of Flaine as you look from the bottom. It's a lot quieter on that side that the middle or LHS usually, but all "motorway" skiing. You really can get some great speed on the wide open spaces at the top.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
e17phil, yes Massif will be fine for half a day.

I second the Dahu suggestion plus, it is intersected by a black and a red to your "novices" can pootle on teh blue whilst the "advanced" take on the reds and or blacks (or bail onto the Dahu)

Good restaurant at the bottom too by the chair!!
latest report
Stevo - thanks for the speedy reply.

I doubt I'll get the beginners onto Marmotte even if it is easier! Although, I may take them up the lift which goes half way and get a couple of the others to check out Marmotte and report back.

Thanks for the advice about Fred (hardly fits in with the other names!) and the RHS - it looks as if there are a good bunch of reds across there and if it's quieter so much the better.

Cheers.
latest report
Cheers Marcellus

May be an idea just to play around the pistes in and around those 2 lifts. That way different people can take turns in assisting the novices Happy
ski holidays
e17phil,I think Stevo the Saddler meant the Chariande run rather than Marmotte which used to be classified as a black at the top before it was re-profiled - and he's right - Dahu can get very mogulled and congested lower down as the more nervous follow the blue route down rather than the red.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy