Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
m00958, I've resisted looking, might have a peek tomorrow, hopefully the freeze level will drop overnight and there'll be a bit of snowfall.

However my spirits are lifted by the latest netweather forecast (you'll all probably tell me they're rubbish but I quite like them). As others have said the freeze levels do drop significantly and they're forecasting quite a lot of snow from the 15th onwards Very Happy now I know you'll all say that it's too far off to be reliable and I know that, but it's looking much more hopeful, so let's keep dancing snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimum, well resisted Toofy Grin

I'm not going to "rain on your parade". Temps are looking good. Hopefully lots of snow cannon action will help things along. The long range is showing possible precipitation after the 15th. Fingers crossed for it to pan out that way. You just never know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well Grand Massif weather fans a quick update; when I went to bed this morning we were in the middle of a really nasty rain storm with the teperature at 6.3, so hardly dropped at all and I feared the worst.

This morning I have got up and the temperature has dropped to 2.0.

There is a new snow line at about 800m, clear blue sky and the sun rose over the Tete de Saix and looked stunning......... mind you the streams in the Griffe valley are very fast and furious.

Official forecasts have now pushed back the next snow front out until Friday night, which with how wet everything is over here is no bad thing, if we can have some freezing temperatures between now and Friday this will be good news, so perhaps all is not lost!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marcellus, Sounds perfectly timed and entirely my fault!

I had a word with the wife a week ago and ordered 30 cm of fresh powder this Thursday evening and another 60cm of powder this Friday. Yay!!! Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, thanks for the update, netweather is still forecasting snow and low temps from 16th so I'm remaining hopeful that by the time we arrive it'll be a white winter wonderland snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's certainly looking better on the webcams today. Even Morillon 1100 is pretty evenly covered, so lets hope the cold weather and the recent rain helps to form a solid base. 16 sleeps only!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My mole in Flaine phoned me today and said that the upper sections of the Flaine bowl were definitely going to be open on Saturday so I'll be flying out on Friday to take a look. Anyone else going to be there?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Mason, I'll be in Samoens attending the Avoriaz ski demo for a least one day over the weekend and then heading for Flaine Monday onwards.

Likely I'll be joined by Hughbedo too Cool

(Flora is looking for accomodation after Morzine ends for her on 22 Dec)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jivebaby, I'll be flying out Monday evening so leaving Flaine about 4pm. If you want to meet up on Monday PM me and we'll sort something out
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just wondering if Flaine has snow cannons? Going on the 19th Dec and there isn´t much snow on the forecast (well... but at least they finally gets cold)... just hope they´ll be able to augment the natural stuff a little if they don´t have big falls next week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cppoon wrote:
Just wondering if Flaine has snow cannons? Going on the 19th Dec and there isn´t much snow on the forecast (well... but at least they finally gets cold)... just hope they´ll be able to augment the natural stuff a little if they don´t have big falls next week.

Yes iirc most of the lower runs are well covered, but not convinced that the forum is.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cppoon wrote:

I don't think you need worry. Over on the Weather Outlook thread they're having kittens due to a possible major snow dump at the back end of next week. Don't think I've ever seen brian so excited!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus, Cool Cool Cool Arrived and it's already spot on time!! getting colder
Quote:
I had a word with the wife a week ago and ordered 30 cm of fresh powder this Thursday evening and another 60cm of powder this Friday. Yay!!!

Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it still looking very green at 1100? Get worried now Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry that should say 'getting worried now'
ski holidays
Beks1969, I know what you mean. There was a very thin covering up until yesterday. I was sure that would stay as the temps were dropping. It didn't Sad

The only snow in Morillon now is artificial.

Snow Forecast has changed it's forecast from way below freezing temps at 1100 to above freezing temps. However, that's not what the charts are saying to me Confused

Fingers crossed for some snow on the 18/19th!
ski holidays
Beks1969, I was a bit fed up when I saw how green it was this morning Sad . Still I'm remaining hopeful that by the time we get there on the 23rd it'll be looking whiter snowHead
ski holidays
Yep here's hoping! I guess we can get the lifts further up the mountain to look for snow but I'd be nice to ski back down to the resort. Santa, please have a word with the man upstairs, I promise I've been really good this year...! snowHead
snow report
I've been to the Grand Massif twice and both times have had a lot of trouble with the unreliable buses. I stayed in Sixt the second time and the bus made getting back at night a real hassle. They really need to sort it IMO.
ski holidays
Les Carroz 3rd - 10th Jan for the third time. Missed last season due to pregnancy but back this season with non skiing grandparents in tow! They rock.

Things I can't wait to do: - Go to the Igloo restaurant for a croque monsieur, eat pretty much anything in the restaurant at the Molliets chair, ski off piste down the Vernant bowl and for some reason I need to have a mogul lesson as have become a bit bump obsessed having done Lucifer in Flaine a couple of times (skiied it badly but loved it).

Love the Grand Massif!
snow report
tomstickland, Sixt in an anagram of Stix.....it's a clue.

It's a fantastic place to ski when "dammé" and full of powder, but it a cul-de-sac, so nothing goes there en-route which does add tothe tranquility and charm but if you need to get our, maybe not so good. It's aslo a national parc, so they are very unlikley to lay on extra buses to increase traffic flows.
snow report
There is a big article in The Sun today about UCPA Flaine.... where i will be in a few weeks.

Any update on ski schedule marcellus,
snow report
Libertine, as of about half an hour ago;

SNOW
snow conditions
Just saw that on the web cams! snowHead
snow conditions
Yep just checked the webcams in the last 2 hours, 1st time I looked, a little covering of snow, just checked again, its looking a bit whiter!!! YAY!!
snow report
Out there now. Light snow all day, started about 8pm Friday. Only lifts open were the DMC and Col de Plate (oh, and the chair over the nursery slope in the Bowl), meaning only a few runs officially open. Vis was pretty awful at the top and very flat light until at least half way down. A few peolple were coming down the closed runs but from the DMC you could see a lot of rocks and crevasses. Met Jivebaby for a coffee in the cafe by the bottom of the Aup de Veran telecabine. Predictably, there were not many people skiing but it was good to get in the first few runs of the season. Has stopped snowing now (19.45 French time). The road out of Flaine has not been cleared and I saw people struggling with chains earlier. I was told that they do not plan to open any more of the resort until next Saturday.

There is apparently very little snow in the other GM resorts themselves, it was about -2C at 2pm in Flaine so I guess it would have been raining down in Carroz and the like.
snow conditions
The webcam at Morillon 1100 was showing snow yesterday.

Only a different note, does anyone know if there is any wifi access in Morillon? Free or otherwise.
ski holidays
Just browse the bars with an iPhone type locator and then ask for the code. Trouble is Morillon has very few bars!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
m00958, I know of a bar in Samoens which has wifi (Coveys) but when we moved round this side of teh mountain I did go for a walk as Jivebaby, decribes and couldn't find one.

If you get stuck let me know and you're more than welcome to pop round and use mine...
snow conditions
marcellus, that's an extremely generous offer. I'll try not to bother you, but just in case, where are you based?
snow conditions
m00958, no problem at all YHM!
latest report
PMU in Samoens has wifi. Cool
ski holidays
Update on the snow conditions. I delayed until about 10am, sun showing signs of shining. DMC to the top, looked across to see Mont Blanc and the Aguille du Midi silouetted against the skyline. What a contrast to yesterday. The piste was in good condition and so much more pleasant to ski when you could see the ups and downs. Few more people around than yesterday but still almost empty. Same pistes and lifts open today as yesterday. Axinite/Olivine pistes far bumpier than I remember them from last year, presumably due to lack of snow depth to smooth them out. One of the bumps put me squarely on my rear end. The off piste (being anything other than the runs that were offficially open) has snow covering but no depth. Listening to the sound of skis/boards go over barely concealed rocks brought tears to my eyes. Lower down appeared to be shrouded in cloud all day. With the start of the season proper scheduled for next Saturday a big dump of snow would come in very handy. Start offering gifts to the snow gods.
snow report
Chris Mason, thanks for the update. I'm doing a snow dance Smile
latest report
Any tips for weekend group beginner lessons easy to get to from Les Carroz? One of my group is bringing their girlfriend along who would like to give it a try but private lessons come up pretty expensive when it's only 1 person Crying or Very sad We're in town 8th-11th Jan, happy to have a try at meeting up although I have enough trouble keeping track of the folks I came with usually - think we are 15 this time! aj xx
ski holidays
marcellus, Do you know if the ZigZag team plan to host a day at Flaine this week? They held one last year which was great fun and it would be a nice way for the local snowHeads to meet up
snow conditions
a.j., use ESF andbook Gorgio if youwant private (€72 last year per lesson) if not ESF are trying to be better.....

Jivebaby sorry I don't the ZIG ZAGs I know is not connected to the Samoens ski school....
snow report
Jivebaby, I was with them in Tignes and some one mentioned something about a start of season event. They really are an awesome ski school so if you get half a chance to ski with them take it.
snow report
m00958 apparently there is WiFi in Morillon 1100, in the bar? If that helps?
snow report
Beks1969, cool. Thanks for letting me know.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy