Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you want to pay for lunch

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
queen bodecia, that's why you eat it for lunch. wink

Hah, beat me with the edit! wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bowl of soup, sausage and bacon butties. All ingredients having travelled with us from England.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My fav would be Nachos - all the time/ baileys coffee at the mountain restaurant. The coffee may cost bit more but sometimes it's worth it....yummy Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that's what hip flasks are for Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youspurs1, Why arent there death burger vans selling butties in the car parks of ski resorts ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to say I am a mix. I enjoy a long, hot lunch, expecially if the food and service is worth the money and time spent. I will try and fit one or two of these into a week holiday, but the cost is limiting. I couldnt afford to do this every day. I usually just go for plat de jour for 10 - 15euros and a vin chaud.

Otherwise, it is lunch in the apartment or picnic for me. On a sunny day, it is lovely to stop at some beautiful spot with views and nibble on a picnic. I love french bread, baked fresh that morning, with some ham and cheese. I also take some chocolate or cake to eat, and some fruit, and a bottle of water. We tend to do this if we are travelling long distances and cannot get back to the apartment for lunch, or on sunny spring days when it is tempting to sit and bask in the sun.

On the days we spend closer to our apartment (I always try to book one close to the pistes) it makes sense to nip inside to cook a quick pasta or cheese toastie, and sit in the warm. A perfect solution on bad weather days when the links to far away areas might be closed and the weather makes me reluctant to sit on an exposed mountain.

Whichever option is chosen, lunch is always a sociable and enjoyable event.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carettam, perfect! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see lots of French mums and grandmas staying at their apartments and chalets in the mornings to prepare lunch for the family. Sometimes they go off skiing in the afternoon, sometimes not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have to admit we dont eat most days - just hot chocolates once or twice depending on conditions...............
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have lunched pretty much all the ways suggested on this board. Most recently tends to be a meall on or more commonly and more cheaply at the base of the mountain. Childre are given a set budget between 5 and 12€ per day depending on prevailing prices with which to eat.
Always self cater in the evening and tend to have one long splugy lunch per holiday when not a lot of skiing is done afterwards.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boys holidays it tends to be a meal - Spag Bol, chicken and chips, Tiroler Grostl plus large soft drink, €8 to €12. This will have been preceded by a good breakfast. However, most nights no evening meal other than maybe, but not usually, a hastily consumed burger. 4.30 pm is apres ski time, haven't got time to go eating. Family holidays, half board, so usually just soup and a drink.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy wrote:
On average about 12 Euro, but upto 17 Euro for Steak and Frites. Plus a beer.

Lunch is all part of my holiday

Me too minus the beer. Canteen style, something simple, warm and filling like pizza, spagbol, plat du jour, chips. Efficient service, don't won't to spend too long eating lunch.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A mountain Lunch is part of experience and has to be put in context of the overall cost. However with a new perspective at parity of £ to Euro I think some resorts in France are taking the p*** and need to join the recession. I am considering the packed lunch option for Courchevel as if it is a nice day finding a perch for a picnic with a view is a pleasure. In foul weather one needs a respite. Whatever the cost I am not going to forgo Onion soup at Solaise, Val D'isere, it was worth every cent, the bottled water was a rip-off considering the tap water is excellent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob wrote:
Whatever the cost I am not going to forgo Onion soup at Solaise, Val D'isere, it was worth every cent, the bottled water was a rip-off considering the tap water is excellent.

If that is the Ouillet I agree most heartily and would possibly add a quiche tartiflette and tarte!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont,

Quote:

Can't be chewed clarting about with picnics

Unlike Helen, we have found ourselves "clartin' about" with picnics on an increasingly regular basis in view of the eye watering/indefensible prices of snacks in France. A morning coffee break, soup for lunch (+ another cuppa) and a late pm coffee stop could have cost 2 of us over £250 in a week Shocked The new(ish) restaurant at the foot of Mont du Vallon (Meribel) was charging a mere £10 for 2 cups of tea - mind you, the tea bags were those nice little cloth things....

So we prefer to go DIY and put our hard earned dosh towards another ski trip.

Each to their own, however. But we had some great lunch spots last season with fantastic "window seats" in exclusive restaurants where you could otherwise expect to pay an arm and a leg for the view... wink
snow conditions
Cuppa soup in a flask, Cheese + ham baguette, pack of crisps, bottle of juice, bottle of water, cereal bar, choclate bar

in a backpack - thats my fuel for the day
snow conditions
Kaiser wrote:
How much do you want to pay for lunch?

No more than €200 per head....anything more would just be ridiculous.
snow report
Bergmeister, but I would be the one who ended up making the food every morning while everyone else was getting out of bed. I'm meant to be on holiday too. We'd never make it onto the pistes. Fortunately Serre Chevalier is not as expensive as Meribel, and I can get a lunch for the price of your cups of tea.
snow report
does anyone know how much you can expect to pay for food in st gervais cafe's/restaurants and supermarkets.,? thanks (:
ski holidays
Quote:

In quite a few places there are signs "no pic-nic even with drinks"

at the restaurant at the top of our mountain is a sign saying "consommation obligatoire sur la terasse". My son wondered if it was directed at honeymooners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy