Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you want to pay for lunch

Poster: A snowHead
and what is in it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
€4 - Gulaschsuppe - A rich beef based soup (generally) served with bread -
€1.50 a medium beer or coke
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On average about 12 Euro, but upto 17 Euro for Steak and Frites. Plus a beer.

Lunch is all part of my holiday
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone else do the sandwich/picnic thing out there? I usually carry baguette, ham/saucisson and cheese, plus a drink and choccy bar, maybe crisps, seems to do me fine and I can either eat on the go, or stop at a place with a good view, if I don't eat it then at worst I have wasted a couple of Euros I may have drunk anyway!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaiser, I am with johnboy here. Lunch is a social thing, part of the holiday, a chance to sit and chew the fat over the antics of the morning and the plans for the afternoon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
€1.50 a medium beer or coke

Absolutely! Substitute Tiroler Grostl on alternate days wink , probably about €6 snowHead

I never do the picnic thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaiser, I did last year in March and it was great. Spring skiing, sitting out for a picnic at the top of Flaine looking across at Mont Blanc. We took the sort of things you mention plus a bottle of rosé, stick the wine in the snow to chill, form chairs out of the snow and have a very pleasant lunch chatting about the day and making plans.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
17 euros for lunch? You're having a giraffe. between 2 people, that's 200 quid in a week. That's halfway towards another ski holiday.

Sandwiches for me thanks (yes, made from the breakfast buffet if available), might share a bowl of chips with Mrs NBT if it's not four bloody quid a bowl. If it's a powder day then a couple of mouthfuls of sandwiches grabbed on each lift ride, thanks very much. I go to ski, not sit around, I can sit around in the office and I'm not paying £100 quid a day to sit on my back bottom when there's snow and I'm capable of skiing it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, as you get older lunch becomes another word for REST Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with johnboy on this, I like having lunch in a mountain restaurant so I do spend about that on lunch but accept it as part of the cost before I go. It should be a bit cheaper though! I also avoid self service places like the plague, the food never seems to be much cop and you seem to pay the same as you would anywhere else
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, I'm no spring chicken. Went to volleyball training last night and realised I've been playing since before some of the other lads were born Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kaiser wrote:
Does anyone else do the sandwich/picnic thing out there? I usually carry baguette, ham/saucisson and cheese, plus a drink and choccy bar, maybe crisps, seems to do me fine and I can either eat on the go, or stop at a place with a good view, if I don't eat it then at worst I have wasted a couple of Euros I may have drunk anyway!

I tend to graze on the fly now, too. Couple of rolls, trail bar, banana, still drink.............

I find any kind of substantive lunch just wrecks the afternoon. I'll stop a couple of times for ten minutes or so and grab a drink, sometimes a beer. Sometimes a choc, if it's cold, but that's about it.

It's not even predominantly a money issue either. After lunch just becomes a washout. God knows how I'd be if I'd scoffed a steak.............. Madeye-Smiley

I can easily understand how to alot of people eating well is part and parcel of the whole. Just not mine.

John.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny, and you some sum it up well in your last sentence.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, but I think I find myself with those who if they have a large lunch unfailingly find themselves saying afterwards, shall we just ski home and start on the G&Ts, so if I want to ski I snack! Then pig out in the evening to line the stomach before a decent tour of the local establishments! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
12 EUR - Plat du jour. brekky at 7, skiing by 9, starving by 1
ski holidays
Usually look at up to €10 for lunch, occasionally more. For me it tends to be something like groestl or lieberkase, though the Stoecklalm in Soell does a very nice rotisserie chicken that has to be sampled at least once in a trip. Lunch is definitely part of the overall experience for us, though we try to eat either late or early in order to get the benefit of the clearer lunchtime slopes.
snow report
We don't 'usually' do anything, we vary it from day to day, and from holiday to holiday, depending on who we are with, what the weather/snow is like, how much skiing we want to do and sometimes what our financial situation is. So we do anything from picnic to gulasch to groestl to salad etc. depending on a number of factors. Not much of a creature of habit in that respect really. Having said that I can't imagine spending more than about EUR12 on lunch, just because the resorts we have been to don't seem to have those meals of higher prices on the menu.

D
latest report
I'm in the johnboy camp too.
snow report
When doing my season I tended not to eat lunch unless I had friends come out for their weeks holiday - you did get very good however at finding the restaurants that did free water. Saving 3 euro a day by not buying a coke or similar does actually provide you with some more beer tokens for later in the evening...
snow report
Not to mention the mental list of free loos!
ski holidays
What would be the point in skiing over from La Rosiere to La Thuile if not to go to the Rascard for a spot of lunch?

Or indeed skiing the entire Aiguille Rouge, if not the recharge the old batteries with a quick half in the ferme?

As mentioned above, for me it is my holiday, and I shall leave the evangalism to the 'real skiers' rolling eyes

Laughing
ski holidays
When you have a family of five, the cost of lunch is significant - dropping £70 per day makes a big bill for the week, but it's very difficult to avoid in the major Alpine resorts. Compared with the overall cost of a skiing holiday, it might not be that big a sum. But, for me, the irritatation of having little choice but to pay a huge amount for something that's often really quite mediocre means that I'm often more than a little grumpy over lunch.
snow conditions
Usually between 5-15 euros depending on where we stop. French Onion soup is 5€ , =Entrecote frites is 15€ . In between pasta, salade montagnards, etc etc. Can't be chewed clarting about with picnics in the morning, I can barely manage breakfast. Rather eat in at night than skimp on lunch.
ski holidays
I do like a nice lunch on the mountain, and I'd probably do it more if most of the mountain restaurants in Chamonix weren't so substandard.
Sandwiches 80% of the time now, sometimes a toastie, and occasionally a nice lunch at the Refuge du Lognan or the Cremerie du Glacier (Grands montets) the train station at vallorcine or the Vieilles Luges in Les Houches.
ski holidays
We also have the option of an early start, and a late lunch which we will do back at the apartment. Sometimes we stop early to take the dog for a long walk.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
When you have a family of five, the cost of lunch is significant - dropping £70 per day makes a big bill for the week, but it's very difficult to avoid in the major Alpine resorts. Compared with the overall cost of a skiing holiday, it might not be that big a sum. But, for me, the irritatation of having little choice but to pay a huge amount for something that's often really quite mediocre means that I'm often more than a little grumpy over lunch.

So get an s/c apartment close to the piste and ski home for a bowl of soup or some bread and cheese?
ski holidays
on any sunny day i rather take a sandwich and sit on a rock with a great view. OH likes to make sushi for us to take us, (obviously it's bit more of a faff but he seems to enjoy making it!!) perfect food for skiing, light but full of energy.

on a snowy day though you can't beat getting indoors for a hot soup so maybe spend about 8euros. But sometimes, maybe last day or someones birthday you have to have a long boozy lunch -as long as it's not a powder day Very Happy
ski holidays
Dr Che, mmmmmmmmm stoecklalm chicken. Best cure ever, have to be quick though it's usually gone by 12.30pm. Have been in the queue a few times when they've run out - what a horrible experience. Yes, in relation to post, lunch on the mountain is part and parcel of my holiday but this year we will be forced to try the 'picnic' option due to severe lack of funds - so we'll see how we get on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones wrote:

So if you stayed in a chalet and the hosts offered you a picnic lunch for €5 you may be interested? (Subtle as a bus!)
snow report
I'm happy to have a sandwich and at Easter I usually make them and take them with me now. £10 for a few frozen chips and a couple of frankfurters last year at Tignes put me off restaurants.
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:

So get an s/c apartment close to the piste and ski home for a bowl of soup or some bread and cheese?
Or for the same price, stay out and have great value food in the Ski Amade (Austria)
snow conditions
I think the packed lunch from the chalet is a really good idea - I've heard of quite a few places doing it. I would definitely offer it if we were catered. If you're researching, I'd like a nice sandwich, some nuts & raisins or similar and a small choccy bar or cake. Maybe a slice of cheese?

For the last couple of holidays we've had in a big group, one person (who is a naturally early riser) has been 'responsable de breakfast pain et croissant', and one other has been Sandwich Man and provided the lunches for everyone. These two don't ever have to cook in the evenings. Works a treat!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-10-09 10:15; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
When the weather is warmer in March we will probably think about taking a picnic on a couple of occasions, but it is usually too cold at New Year to do that, and sometimes where to sit and eat it is a problem. I believe that they are opening a picnic hut in the Chantemerle sector this winter, so perhaps we will check that out.
latest report
firebug wrote:
I think the packed lunch from the chalet is a really good idea - I've heard of quite a few places doing it. I would definitely offer it if we were catered. If you're researching, I'd like a nice sandwich, some nuts & raisins or similar and a small choccy bar or cake. Maybe a slice of cheese?

You spotted it! Yes I am researching and desired menu would certainly be taken into consideration.

And Frosty the Snowman that is why I am going to offer this solution for those who prefer to ski Tignes. snowHead
snow report
Ah yes weather. I can't recall many days when a picnic would be suitable. Once the sweat starts to cool then temperature can become a big issue.
snow conditions
plat du jour generally does me nicely when i want a longer sit down break, and i always have at least one long blow out lunch with a nice bottle when on hols with the missus...
ski holidays
I'd like everything, made fresh but delivered quickly for under 5 euro if you're doing market research. More seriously though its not absolute price but more the overall value of the package - I've paid high amounts for ponderous and downright wrong waiter service where party members have ended up walking out before the food arrived because it was cutting in so much into skiing time, while have enjoyed fresh soup at stop & go mountain huts served efficiently with a smile. Needless to say I prefer the latter.

Kaiser I'm sure you'd have some takers for your picnic but remember brownbagging isn't provided for generously in the alps (unlikely N America where groups take huge ice chests & flasks etc into the lodge) & "picnic inderdit" signs are everywhere. Restaurants are often the only pleces to sit and shelter.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

For a moment I thought you were Clive Sinclair
ski holidays
I guess as well it depends where you are.

In Canada, most places have a "den", often as part of the main chalet/restaurant where you can eat your own snap, in the warm. In fact most places seem ok about you using the restaurant tables, inside and out. As most of the locals seem to do.

It may be the same in the Alps, as I've not been much lately. But all I seem to remember are signs everywhere sayin "no picnic". Which I guess is fair enough, if it's your livelihood.

John.
snow report
Edit: Double post rolling eyes

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 14-10-09 10:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy