Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you want to pay for lunch

Poster: A snowHead
BCjohnny, if you buy a drink, you can probably get away with eating your food. Picnic huts are there in the Alps though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BCjohnny wrote:
I guess as well it depends where you are.

In Canada, most places have a "den", often as part of the main chalet/restaurant where you can eat your own snap, in the warm. In fact most places seem ok about you using the restaurant tables, inside and out. As most of the locals seem to do.

John.

It does get on my tits a bit when huge family groups and, in particular, race clubs fill the lodge with massive picnic chests, drinks coolers etc then "save" about 10 tables for their rolling feast while punters that have shelled out for nosh in the lodge are left to scrape for odd seats around the fringes. Usually there's a formidable looking portly Mom sitting there with a paperback all day, glaring at anyone who might dare to try and sit there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
BCjohnny, if you buy a drink, you can probably get away with eating your food. Picnic huts are there in the Alps though.

In quite a few places there are signs "no pic-nic even with drinks" (e.g. the restauirant at the top of Tichot in Tignes). It annoys me but I can see why they say that. I just eat elsewhere, even on the days when I don't have a packed lunch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[So get an s/c apartment close to the piste and ski home for a bowl of soup or some bread and cheese?[/quote]

That's exactly what we do. Rented a ski in ski out apartment from a Snowhead last year and most of the time came back there. Worked out well as we have a vegetarian and a vegan to cater for! Soup and sandwich and a yogurt and then out again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="nbt(e.g. the restauirant at the top of Tichot in Tignes)[/quote]

(reputedly owned by the mayor!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are warm picnic rooms at all the midstations in Chamonix (salle hors-sac). I think a briefing on where you can eat your packed lunch is a good idea though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
//dbl

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 14-10-09 11:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
€5 for grillwurst mit pommes, €3 for strudel, €1.50 for a huge Fanta - substitute a toastie, schnitzel, chicken or tirolergrostl for the grillwurst depending on the day, and alternate between the apfel and topfen strudel and germknodel. Why pack sandwiches - you need 3500-4000 calories a day if you are a reasonably active skier, and two slices of limp Bimbo or a teeth-crunching roll with some waxy cheese just doesn't cut it wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kaiser, I'm told he, and his relatives, own quite a few. They seem to get permissions quite easily too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug wrote:
I think a briefing on where you can eat your packed lunch is a good idea though.

Might be worth a "sticky", in these lean times.

John.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We usually come back to the chalet where we'll have bread, cheese, saucisson, pate and the like, plus beer and coffee. We usually have to come back to pick my friends kids up from morning ski school anyway. In the afternoon we then go skiing with the kids - which used to mean an easy afternoon, but now doesn't as most of the kids can now ski anything the adults can.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Kaiser, I'm told he, and his relatives, own quite a few. They seem to get permissions quite easily too.

Coincidence? hmmm.....

Perhaps good picnic spots should be another thread to keep things clear?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ousekjarr wrote:
two slices of limp Bimbo or a teeth-crunching roll with some waxy cheese just doesn't cut it wink

Indeed it doesn't! Personally I like sweet, fresh goat cheese with honey and spinach leaves on sourdough bread. Incidentally this was the subject of Twitter debate recently with the best ideas here - the guide's Sandwich movie was genius I thought Smile

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=791
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCjohnny, could be! Good idea, I will add it to the chalet guide Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most days, soup and roll for whatever it costs.

Once in a blue moon I'll have a full sitdown job with beer
snow report
//dbl aargh!
snow conditions
I don't like eating much before exercise, so unless I'm tired and in need of a long break, a heavy lunch has no appeal whatsoever. I'd rather eat snacky things frequently than have a substantial lunch. Sandwiches are edible even when completely flattened by a heavy landing! The afternoon generally feels too short as it is, so wasting time in a restaurant unless I've had a really bad morning doesn't really appear. I liked bigger lunch when I had ski boots that didn't fit, or which had not quite bedded in (or when I was busy operating the imaginary toe brake!)
snow report
firebug wrote:
I think a briefing on where you can eat your packed lunch is a good idea though.

Before kids, we always used to take a picnic instead of using a cafe. But we never had trouble finding a suitable spot to eat - I thought that was what the chairlifts were for.

Lunch is for wimps who don't have the strength to ski from dawn to dusk. Even a toilet break is an unreasonable waste of potential skiing time!
latest report
Not stopping for lunch is for wimps who ski like a tart Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, The best located appartments are next to the lift AND a restaurant Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-10-09 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jonny Jones, I'm also a lift picnicker as long as it's not *too* cold & snowy Smile
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Not stopping for lunch is for wimps who ski like a tart Toofy Grin

Pomme or Myrtille? snowHead
snow report
I like a bit of variation. Usually more the Gulaschsuppe sort of thing, plus perhaps share a tart or strudel with someone. But just occasionally a more slap-up meal or the sandwiches (on the Tarrentaise Tour for example). The top end of the latter being once on our last day when a group of us in bright sunshine climbed a ridge in the 3 Valleys and sitting at the top before a long off-piste descent, ate smoked salmon sandwiches (and, I think, Mars bars) washed down with champagne.
latest report
When it was just me and skidaddy then a stop for a Croque Monsiuer or a crepe was fine. With a 3 year old and 5 year old in tow then a stop for a hot chocolate may happen but lunch is a baguette and cheese sat in the snow. On the one bad weather day we had last March, we sat in the boot of the car, parked next to the nursery slope in Sixt - ideal snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-10-09 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm another one in the back to apartment for lunch.

If nothing else the kids can take their ski stuff off - which makes it a lot easier for them to go to the loo.
ski holidays
Usually of the sandwich persuasion, sometimes bolstered with a barquette of chips between us. Maybe a 'proper' lunch if the weather is really horrible or late season and the weather is gorgeous but the snow has tipped over the edge to slushiness. Both happen so rarely that cost isn't really a consideration although value for money is.

One of the things I love about St Gervais is both the vast supply of restaurants (and toilets!) and the generous supply of salles hors sacs
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I am with you - the restaurant at the bottom of the blue in Radstadt soup and farmers salad or the Brandegg for rosti and donuts !
ski holidays
I like a nice sit down lunch, served to me (quickly). might be a pizza in Italy or chilli in Canada with a small beer, but I also like the "lunch of the holiday" which is a bigger affair. I wouldn't go back to the hotel at lunchtime, takes too long plus taking gear off/outting back on. I guess I happily spend around £10+ but it depends what for. I was horrified to casually add "I'll have fries with that" in Tignes to find I'd spent £4 on a bowl of cold skinny things that I only ate half of.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, if you paid £4 you were lucky, the Knife and Fork in Val Thornes were charging 7€ for a carton of chips in April. My 'cheap' croque and chips lunch was 15€ . I could have had much more in SC for less
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I know, it was just a shock at the time wink
ski holidays
It would be nice to have a choice of a picnic from a chalet or hotel - but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for us. As said above - not always easy to find a place to eat them.

On harder skiing holidays Pasta, or a salade composee is nice. But on other holidays fairly frequently we will have fairly big lunches. Rarely 3 courses unless the weather is bad Toofy Grin
snow report
LUNCH? What is that? Those hours in the middle of the day tend to be the quietest so I tend to ensure I ski them although there are certain exceptions, some already mentioned on here like the Villaroger challenge and a stop at La Ferme - now THAT is an exception!
snow conditions
LUNCH? What is that? Those hours in the middle of the day tend to be the quietest so I tend to ensure I ski them although there are certain exceptions, some already mentioned on here like the Villaroger challenge and a stop at La Ferme - now THAT is an exception!
snow conditions
Mouth, and if passing Le Chaudron in PC snowHead
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mouth, and if passing Le Chaudron in PC snowHead
NO that is for summers only.
snow conditions
Usually between €5-10 for me, either a panini or soup and a drink.

And it's called 'dinner' not 'lunch'! Laughing
ski holidays
Mouth, Trying telling that to Pete the Dentist Laughing
snow report
snowball wrote:
I like a bit of variation. Usually more the Gulaschsuppe sort of thing, plus perhaps share a tart or strudel with someone. But just occasionally a more slap-up meal or the sandwiches (on the Tarrentaise Tour for example). The top end of the latter being once on our last day when a group of us in bright sunshine climbed a ridge in the 3 Valleys and sitting at the top before a long off-piste descent, ate smoked salmon sandwiches (and, I think, Mars bars) washed down with champagne.

i know one guide who is quite proud of his sabrage skills using a ski rather than a sword Cool

i generally go with whatever the day permits. picnics are fine in a quiet spot with a good view; ideal is a plat du jour in a nice cosy hut tucked away from the madding crowd at the end of a nice off piste descent. the refuge du sarenne at Alpe d'Huez is a good for that
latest report
I definitely wouldn't bother with a picnic. I wouldn't want to carry it around all morning.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, that's why you eat it for lunch. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy