Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know what a Tyrol ski instructor license is?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Title says it all really. I've been offered a job, but I have no idea what this license is or how I get it. When I asked, he sent me to a German website!

Any help would be amazing...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a licence that allows you to teach peeps to ski in Tyrol.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
northy014, Welcome to snowHead, I'm sure someone hugely more helpful will be along shortly...... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks anyway lol...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't, but if you post the link, I will have a look at the German website for you - probably tomorrow though as my internet at home is not working, so someone else might be able to help quicker.

D
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much, I'm perfectly happy to wait! He said to check on snowsporttirol.com, for times and dates. I think that's just a home page though, unfortunately! I wish I could speak German, so I could tell you where on the website to look. Of course, if I could do that, I wouldn't need you help... I'm sure it can't be hard to find though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Translation
try this link
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, OMG that is a god-awful translation tool! It is truly abysmal. But thankfully people use better resources for important stuff!

northy014, If you copy and paste what you need translating we can give it a go - I'm a professional German-English translator and can do a gist copy quite quickly.

wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, well in a nutshell, it looks like the Snowsport Tirol are an organisation who basically train instructors to teach in the Tirol. They run a bunch of different instructor courses, and from what I can gather, from each of them, you get a certificate from the Tirol government which then allows you to go and teach on-piste in a ski school.

It doesn't say anything about instructors from other countries getting endorsements to from their current qualifications, so it looks like you have to do this. There are courses at a whole load of places, and the costs vary but start below EUR1,000. For example the ski instructor course in Pitztal in November costs EUR558 including the certificate.

I am assuming that if you tried to get a job in a ski school they would ask for this certificate.

There is also no indication that you can just turn up and do an exam without doing the course, although it links to Snowsport Austria where there is a page that suggests you can do this, so it's a bit confusing.

I think your best bet would be to email them, as you will need to be sure that you have the right paperwork at the right time, in the right place.

I don't think I've been very helpful really, but hope I've been able to shed some light. I don't know if any of the instructors on here teach in the Tirol so there might not be a lot of people able to help, which is why I think contacting the Snowsporttirol people might be the best bet.

Sorry!

D

PS I seem to remember someone posted on here last year about a course where you got this certificate and also got a crash course in German, all rolled into I think a 3 week course. May be worth looking up...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You need this quali (or one of the other austrian equivalents, ie salzburg, Carinthia, Voralberg) to teach in Austria. The course is taught in German, and you're expected to be able to teach in German when you finish it. There is also a written paper on skiing in German. However, if you're a good skier the coaches are likely to help you out if your language is poor. You can't do the exam until you've taken the course, which is about 10 days long. If you fail you can re-do the exam without the course.

Which ski school have you got an offer from?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
northy014

http://www.peakleaders.com/instructor_courses/St-Anton/10

Try the above link, they do a 6 week course in St Anton which qualifies you as an Austrian Instructor (on snow)
level 1. I understand that taught German classes form part of the syllabus

Also, look at my posting on "Austrian Anwarter Ski Instructor Qualification" (not sure how to paste the link) on the
Bend Ze Knees forum posted on Sunday 7th June 09 where there are lots of informative replies

Hope this helps
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, I gave you the wrong information, the Peak Leaders course is 4 weeks long and not 6 weeks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alright, thanks for all your help guys! It's a bit of a pain, this language requirement thing. I dunno if I can commit so much money when there's a chance I might just fail because I'm not good enough at German! I was never very good at languages, unfortunately. I thought my BASI qual was supposed to work in Austria, how annoying.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northy014, if it isn't a silly question, how did you think you could work in Austria without speaking even enough German to read the info on a website? Can you imagine someone trying to teach in, say, Hemel Hempstead and only being able to speak, say, Polish?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my 10 pence goes in...

Did my anwaerter in Tirol, so have the thing ur looking at. The exam is fine, they basically tell you like 20 lists of words to learn then test you on them. The issue is you need to be able to understand the week of lectures in order to know which lists and at least get the basics. I spoke a bit of german when i did mine and worked my bum off for it (didnt really need to but was scared of failing) i also made a few friends on the course who helped out. These guys are right, they will almost certainly give you a little hand if they know your germans not great. (the skiing bit is super easy). we also had a group of foreigners in which the teacher used basic/clear german (the clear bits important).
My girlfriend is teaching in Austria on the BASI qualification it is acceptable, so this is purely a skischool choice.

If you would like any other information feel free to PM me and i'll do my best to help
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, there are lots of ski instructors working in Germany who speak little if any German.

northy014,

From memory I think the Tirol has slightly different rules to other parts of Austria. I suggest you contact that the BASI office, they may be able to explain what the position is for a BASI instructor to work there.
latest report
dulcamara, if you have any notes on what words you need to know specific to skiing i would be grateful snowHead

northy014, what BASI level do you hold? i think if L2 you can teach up to 28 days, over that you need the language test as mentioned and local status. each region in Austria is different on National level teachers Staatlicher (ISTD) can teach independently anywhere. very similar to the Aosta valley in italy.
snow report
skimottaret, I should do I'll see what i've got knocking about. Reading the "learn English" section of the course from right to left was a life saver so i'll see if that's still in one piece. Though my lady friend is teaching all season on a BASI level 2 along with a load other instructors.

beanie1, there are loads of BASI instructors in Tirol. The issue, especially now theres less business is they have millions of applications from only english speaking instructors when what they need is bilingual ones, i guess the ski school are just using this to prove you could teach in german.... (or they just dont respect the Brit skiers)

Remember in Austria, especially Tirol the ski schools are all privately owned and given a lot more freedom to make their own decisions. I am fairly sure this is a skischool decision. Though if you really want to know the official stance you can fire an email (in english) to the TSLV (Tiroler Skilehrer Verband) and they will should be able to sort you out. maybe if they endorse your qualification you could relay this to the ski school and see what they say????
latest report
Interesting contrast between France and Austria. The language qualifications for Brits teaching in France don't seem to be taxing - one BASS instructor told me he went in for his "oral exam", was told (in French) to sit down and when he did, the guy told him he'd passed. But I can't imagine there are "loads" of non French speaking Brits teaching in France - if this is a regular thing in the Tirol and elsewhere there must be loads of Anglophone punters. Are there not some smaller resorts in Austria where all ski groups are being taught in German? There are certainly plenty of French ones where lessons are invariably in French.
latest report
It is interesting pam w, the thing about France is that the rules are pretty clear, you can't teach independently unless you are ISTD, you can work as an ISIA or (even) a L2 but you have to have passed Test Technique and IIRC even then you only have a certain number of years to get to ISTD. You also have the advantage of having one main French ski school in the ESF so same/very similar rules are the norm across all resorts.

In Austria the system may seem much more open but in reality there appear to loads of 'little' rules that are applied on whim by schools that are local and/or regional. I know people who have worked over there with no problem on a BASI L1 qualification although they shouldn't have given the qualification is a non-mountain one, and others who have had a hell of a time getting through the 'rules' when they have a L2 qualification. It seems to be a matter of whatever suits the local situation, unless of course you want to open say a Brit ski school, then of course you'll find the 'rules' will make it rather impossible to be based in resort - contrast that with France where some resorts have numerous Brit ski schools!

It's so much easier in Scotland ... when there's snow Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
I would hope that instructors would be able to speak the local language to some extent. You may be teaching in English but what if one of them has an accident ? I have had to deal with several injuries over the last few years and found that the pisteurs didn't speak any English.
snow report
Quote:

the 'rules' will make it rather impossible to be based in resort

Hmm. Although people moan about France being bureaucratic - which it is - bureaucracy isn't always a dirty word, if it means that rules are a bit more consistent and transparent, and that there is a process to challenge ndividuals or institutions who don't apply them fairly. I didn't realise that there were no Brit schools in Austrian resorts - or that there were so many apparently very lowly-qualified British instructors there. When I took ski school in Austria it was with a (very good) Austrian instructor who spoke exceptionally good idiomatic English. The Brit instructors I've encountered in France (quite a lot of them) have all been super well-qualified. Most of them have spoken French, too - if only because they live there, and who wants to live in a country where you can't talk to people?

I don't see how it is showing "respect" to British visitors to give them a lowly qualified instructor.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your help guys.

PamW, with regards to your first point, there are plenty of ski schools around the world (in non english speaking countries obviously) that don't require any (or very little) native language capability. For example, I have a couple of leads for jobs in Switzerland that only require me to speak very limited French. I don't have a problem with learning the language, I'm no idiot, the issue I had was completing the Anwarter qualification in an entirely different language. I just did BASI II and I can tell you I found that hard enough as it is!!

The French instructors I have had in France may have been extremely well qualified, but they were often supremely disinterested. My BASI trainers were a real eye opener to how good instructors could be!

rjs - you make a good point, but as I say, it's not that I have a problem learning German, and not much would be needed to call the pisteurs, describe the injury, severity and location, it's that I can't afford to commit a thousand euros when I won't be able to speak enough to pass.
ski holidays
Dont bother learning the language and deal with British holiday makers! The problem is as rjs, said, God forbid there is an accident and you need to converse with a local to help either you or your clients out of the mire! Level II allows you to do what exactly?

No doubt you will try and market yourself for the English speaking clientele! This may limit your working opportunities though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy