Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski olympic cancel coach service

Poster: A snowHead
I have just received a letter from Ski Olympic informing my party of 4 that they will not be running the coach service this year due to lack of bookings and the value of the Euro to the pound. Our booking was made some time ago and we are well paid up. We now have to transfer to a flight and only ski for 6 days, or make our own way (for a £100 discount and we still get the 8 days). If we are not happy we can cancel our booking for a full refund, and they are offering us £25 each as a good will gesture if we stay with them.

has anybody else received the same? there is no way we will settle for 6 days and flights, which leaves us with a £500 budget to get 4 adults to Tignes (is this possible?) or cancel and find a different TO. Another problem is that they are sunday - sunday, so they are not aligned with the Eurostar direct which seems the most obvious choice (but is still £219 per person without transfers!).

Obviously we are all massively disappointed and we have a load of research to do to find the best solution. I have always rated ski olympic as a good TO, i hope this is not the beginning of the end...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
with a decent MPG car and cheap early booking on crossing + well planned route to avoid toll charges you might just do it.

3hrs driving each should get you there

Dont forget parking charges if you use the main carparks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jameswylie, what a shame. Sad We used their coach service in the past - it was excellent. I agree with daehwons that with 4 adults, driving is probably the best bet if you want to get 8 days skiing. You can put the £100 from Ski Olympic towards the petrol!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
as they said - drive

say £100 for the crossing,
at worst 3 tanks of fuel = £180,
tolls = c.74 euro x 2 = £140 (or thereabouts)
snowchain hire - £30
Car Parking - (free in Les brevieres)

All in all about £450 - ignores cost of overnight stays as working on the 4 adults principle you don't need to stop.

ok so some people on here will moan about depreciation wear 'n' tear etc, but what's the point in having a car if you're not going to drive it - even better if you can use a company car that helps!! Plus you don't have to worry about baggage limits and get 8 days skiing!!

Taking a coach (from London I assume) strikes me as nearly as horrible as the over-night Eurostar.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, this brings back happy memories.

Our first half dozen or so ski holidays were by coach with Ski Olympic. They used two coaches, one down each side of the country, and, if you had a big enough party, they would come to you. We used to get on at Knutsford services which are very handy for us. On one occasion it was Bernard himself who came to collect us in his Land Rover. The two coaches would meet up at South Mimms and some would swap depending on which resort they were heading. Then we would settle down for the night and wake up in resort.

I would have suggested the Snowtrain but, sadly, that's been another casualty of the recession. Four people travelling sounds like the perfect number to consider driving but this has to be less comfortable than a coach.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At 30 - 50p per mile, a 1300-mile roundtrip in a car to the Alps from the UK costs around £650 - 900, including petrol wearandtear, tolls, boat etc.

Perhaps try Eurolines coaches.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, here we go again.

jameswylie, if you want to find the true cost of driving to the Alps then try and make some sense out of this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54576
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the comments & advice people. The coach was great, much better than the snowtrain. Watch some DVD's, eat, fall asleep and wake up in moutiers. The main issue with driving is that the car is pretty uncomfortable and cramped for the overnight run. Personally I don't mind but others are not too happy about it.

What has really annoyed me and my group, is that they decided to take our booking on the basis of an 8 day ski holiday for a certain price with transport. And then waited until the season was approaching to see if it was feasible. We are now in the position that we won't get what we booked without a significant time / cash investment, so we have to spend the next few days finding transport or a different holiday. In short, we either except their offer (none of which works for us) or go elsewhere.

We'll probably just vote with our feet and find another TO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jameswylie, Tell Ski Olympic your walking unless they throw another £50 a head at you, if they do you have £700 to properly cover the cost of driving, if they don't then cancel as that's your current plan anyway (if your not bluffing you are always strong in a negotiation).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker wrote:
jameswylie, Tell Ski Olympic your walking unless they throw another £50 a head at you, if they do you have £700 to properly cover the cost of driving, if they don't then cancel as that's your current plan anyway (if your not bluffing you are always strong in a negotiation).

Agreed - Tell us when you want to go so we can help with suggestions. Random ideas not knowing dates as below

a 5 minute internet browse would do flights EZY LGW to LYS (arriving 09:15) on a saturday morning - cost £62 each = £248 including 20kg of luggage (but no ski equipment)

Ford focus or similar thru Holiday Autos = £250

Tolls - was 14.80 last season, now probably 16 - so lets assume £30
Fuel - assume one tank of gas - £60
Chains - Hire, assume £40
Parking - free in les brevs, lean on olympic to provide parking (if available at the chalet)

So for around £600 you should be in resort for late-lunch, quick change and an afternoon warming up on the slopes. For the return take the last flight out of lyon and you can ski upto about 2pm saturday pm.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Taking a coach (from London I assume) strikes me as nearly as horrible as the over-night Eurostar.

I's equally horrible but a whole heap cheaper! And it's certainly less horrible than a charter flight to the western USA. You can get out now and then, and you don't get jet-lagged.

Good coaches are also - as the OP points out - more comfortable than many cars.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I were you jameswylie, I'd just take this on the chin and fly this year. At least that'll save all the bother of finding another holiday. In reality your 8 days skiing is probably only the normal 6 plus two half days - especially all the way up at Tignes. Also consider that'll you pay for two days less on your lift pass. Next year things will be more normal and you can probably go back to what you like.

I think you need to cut Ski Olympic some slack. Things are hard this year - and probably hardest for those skiers likely to be attracted to coach travel. If there aren't the punters to fill, or nearly fill, a coach then the TO simply cannot afford to run it. They have offered you an option - even if it is an inconvenient one. So your holiday has been changed outside your control. Diddums. Imagine what it's like for the coach drivers who are probably soon to lose their jobs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This might be of onterest

http://www.skiweekends.com/pages/common/skiweekends_nl.aspx?pg=1007&type=1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jameswylie, Olympic are a great company. Certainly not the beginning of the end. You wouldn't expect them to run with a loss making venture and they are doing what all good companies will do to survive this resession, they are looking at their business structure and adapting accordingly. £ vs € and low take up means off it goes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jameswylie, you can still go by train. and within your budget.
Forget the RailEurope Snowtrain (slow, expensive and uncomfortable) and the Eurostar Ski Train (a bit faster, even more expensive, and very uncomfortable) and book it yourself.
Eurostar return, if you book early enough (I book a microsecond after midnight on the first permitted booking day), is £59.50.
The Saturday night train out of Gare Austerlitz is cheaper (and less busy?) than the Friday train: £32.50 for single journey in 6 bedded couchette or £18.50 if you are happy with a reclining seat. (http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=948)

So, if you took the reclining seat option, you could get to Moutier for less than £100 per person return.
And, plenty dosh left over for a night out at Mrs Miggins Pie Shop. snowHead

P.S. At some point you always get someone moaning about the transfer from Gare du Nord to Gare Austerlitz. These comments are usually from people who have never attempted the trip. And who presumably manage to haul all their stuff from the car park to the airport to the check-in without too much trouble. The journey across Paris is no more difficult and much more fun.
latest report
jameswylie, I agree with Jonpim, The transfer from Gare du nord to Austerlitz is only about four stations on the metro, & you can buy a carnet of metro tickets at St Pancras before you travel, to save finding the right change for the ticket machines at the station in Paris. Good luck Smile
snow report
jameswylie Do try and come back to Tignes, we'll miss you!

I have had a chat with some other people in the same boat and there is another coach operator who goes to Tignes but the coach starts in the West Country, as soon as I have a reply I will post it.
snow report
Thanks again for all the help, Kaiser - the coach sounds great, if you can get the operator details i would be most grateful. I don't mind how we get there but others in the party are not keen on cars or trains. Smile
ski holidays
Small hitch, they run Sat to Sat as well, so if Ski Olympic cannot accomodate you on the Saturday evening it won't work, I guess it really depends on the dates. The company is called Hucksters http://www.hucksterslodge.com/general/travel-information.php

I shall look into Mark Warner as I know some of their chalets were Sunday changeover, but I don't know of any coach service they offered. The other thing would be to see if the coach service that Ski Olympic chartered were interested in operating on their own initiative? I shall keep digging...
latest report
Agreed, sleeper train from London to Tignes is a great option. Especially if you're still looking to get 8 days on the mountain.

Although you'll have to book soon or be lucky with the prices to get the tickets with your budget.

SkiBusUK offer travel to the French Alps from £100 return and have plenty of coaches heading to Tignes.

Coaches departing London Victoria at 3pm on Friday afternoons.

Take a look at www.skibusuk.com for latest deals.

Hope it all works out for you!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 12-10-09 2:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tignes Spirit, Any bright ideas on how to accomodate people on the Saturday night in resort if they took the Friday transfer?
snow conditions
jameswylie wrote:
We now have to transfer to a flight and only ski for 6 days, or make our own way (for a £100 discount and we still get the 8 days).

Hi Kaiser - Sorry, little bit confused what's been booked and what Ski Olympic have offered you guys. I was under the impression that if you made it out to Tignes the accommodation was sorted for you all.

Depending on numbers we could look at helping out, if the odd night was needed. However this would work out expensive unless left to the last minute, which obviously isn't ideal.

It would also depend on dates. If it's during the busy period it would be almost impossible, however if it was during low season it would be alot easier.

In the low season there are also a number of Hotels throughout Tignes that would take bookings for the odd night especially if there were a few of you.

Sorry not to be of more help.
latest report
Kaiser wrote:
Small hitch, they run Sat to Sat as well, so if Ski Olympic cannot accomodate you on the Saturday evening it won't work, I guess it really depends on the dates. The company is called Hucksters http://www.hucksterslodge.com/general/travel-information.php

I shall look into Mark Warner as I know some of their chalets were Sunday changeover, but I don't know of any coach service they offered. The other thing would be to see if the coach service that Ski Olympic chartered were interested in operating on their own initiative? I shall keep digging...

I am booked with MW for Tignes and to my knowledge it is flight only Sun-Sun with BMI
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy