Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

True costs of driving to the Alps.....

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my request for info on cheaper family holidays, what prices/factors are people using for driving to the Alps?

Seeing as ski carriage and bag charges seem to be increasing I am trying to work out which would be best for us from Leeds.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The viamichelin link I gave you will give you the cost of your journey in fuel and tolls in France. I budget £270 for fuel and tolls but it usually comes in a bit less (as long as I can stop my speed creeping up in the last 150 miles or so Smile). You'd be looking at fuel down to Folkestone if you go by tunnel and about £160 return fare (or £40 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers if you have any).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get an estimate of the cost of driving through France here:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html

It gives you a route and prices for tolls and fuel.

Eg. Calais to Moutiers is 931km, takes about 79 litres of petrol in a Megane costing 103 euros plus 66.10 euros for the Peage - each way!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A little light reading on the subject Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1062789&highlight=driving+alps#1062789
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=788863&highlight=driving+alps#788863
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=318623&highlight=driving+alps#318623
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=202256&highlight=boggart#202256
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54576

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-07-10 13:35; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The true cost is higher than just crossings, fuel and tolls. Factor in Insurance (poss including breakdown cover), chains, depreciaton, tyres, oil, servicing, parking, etc etc. if you drive 2000 miles in a week then that is one sixth of an car's average annual mileage, possibly one sixth of one a set of tyres and one sixth of a service cost etc etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Still much more enjoyable than flying to the alps from East Midlands Airport with EasyJet this coming season wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, no difference in my insurance costs, and my breakdown cover include europe at no extra cost. It still works out cheaper for us as we would have to add on the cost of kennelling the dog for 7 or 8 weeks a year too if we chose to fly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, it would add to my insurance costs, though I am not sure by how much. And as FTS points out, there are other costs to factor in. I'm thinking of driving across to the EOSB - but realise the costs will be more than fuel, ferry fees and road tolls.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, We have found Norfolk Line to be a cheaper crossing than other ferries, from Dover - Dunkerque. Just 1hr 40 mins or so and a very efficient service Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman's point is important - the wear and tear and servicing etc. is certainly a significant factor. Though I get a lot more than 12K miles from a set of tyres - even snow tyres. wink wink But the cost of hiring a car somewhere like Geneva is creeping up - and any other means of transfer to resort is likely to be fairly expensive, too. All in all a lot depends on your own feelings about driving versus public transport - and on your own experiences. People talk blithely of getting down to the Alps in 10 hours from Calais, including stops. Maybe they've not done it in bad weather..... fog can (or at least should) see you getting off the autoroute at the next exit, and we've had snow slowing us down significantly as far north as Paris. Equally, you can have a smooth trip on a plane, or encounter all sorts of hassle factors - including airports closed because of snow, at either end.

Depends on your idea of a good time - would you prefer to sit for hours in a crowded airport with a good book, or struggle with frostbitten fingers in foot of slushy snow, trying to fit an unfamiliar set of snowchains?

We do five return trips to the Alps by car every year - because we are going for significant periods (I wouldn't normally consider driving for a week, unless the alternative was hyper-expensive air fares) and usually have quite a bit to carry. We told ourselves that having our own apartment would mean not having to cart stuff back and for. We were wrong...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah sorry I forgot to include the extras, most of them are one offs tho. You'll need a warning triangle, spare set of bulbs, a reflective vest (make sure you keep this *IN* the car in France, not in the boot), a GB sticker, headlamp deflectors and a set of chains. It costs us £10 extra on our insurance for a green card and annual breakdown cover (which we have anyway).

You should get 40,000+ miles out of a set of tyres so it's 1/20th of the cost of your boots (unless you have a Dukes of Hazzard driving style like Frosty appears to, 12,000 miles out of a set indeed! Wink)

Service costs, a lot of new cars have a 12month/20,000 miles service interval, if you aren't doing 20,000 miles in a year you have to get it serviced after 12 months anyway so it's no cost. If you are doing 20K a year then it's 1/10th not 1/6th

If you have to factor in the cost of oil on a 2K trip I'd go so far as to suggest your car might not be up to the job.

I don't know what parking Frosty is on about, I haven't paid parking on a trip so far (maybe I've just been lucky with the destinations I've visited).

So in short there are some extra costs but in comparison to trying to get flights for 2 adults and 2 children in the school holidays I'm happy not to count them and consider them negligible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TotallyBoard wrote:
...You should get 40,000+ miles out of a set of tyres ...

I don't. I wonder how many do.

[edit to add on]

Quote:
I don't know what parking Frosty is on about, I haven't paid parking on a trip so far (maybe I've just been lucky with the destinations I've visited).

Nor have I - but I remember a trip when I very much began to wish I had. Heavy snowfalls at La Daille meant that every night for a week the authorities needed the car park cleared so that they could run the snow ploughs through - and it was a real pain. On top of that, Clearing the car when it was time to depart was a major exercise (I was solo in the car). Despite digging around everywhere I thought was necessary, I found I had ripped the mudflaps off the car when I got home. At least I had left the snow chains on, it would have added further grief to the departure otherwise. It was one reason why, up til now, I have not taken the car out to the Alps again. Oh, I forgot to add that when driving out the road from Moutier onward was blocked - so I had to hole up over night.

[/edit]

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 9-09-09 14:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
TotallyBoard wrote:
...You should get 40,000+ miles out of a set of tyres ...

I don't. I wonder how many do.

Me neither 12-20k max............
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I sincerely hope I can get 30k out of mine, because that's when the lease co get's it back Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TotallyBoard, excellent, your figures look spot on snowHead . Glad that your breakdown cover is Europwide, really pleased that you get over 40,000 out of a set of tyres, chuffed that you hardly ever need to service your car, change your oil, or pay for parking. Good on ya.
snow report
My car is on 80,000km and it's 3rd set of summer tyres, although I've currently got it on it's 1st set of M+S. Factoring in the cost of 1/6 of an oil change, 1/6 of a drain plug and half a spark plug is nuts. I think the portion of a service cost that could be attributed to the wear and tear of a single 2000mile journey is basically pocket money and probably less than a return bus fare to your nearest airport.
snow conditions
Not sure I'd want to drive at February half term again although I have in the past when I could set out on the Friday. On the other hand I quite enjoy driving at Easter when the weather is a little more reliable and it's not so much of a rush. I can also pile all the bedding, skis and all the other gubbins in the car. Cheap it isn't though, we always have 1 overnight each way too.
ski holidays
I'm with TotallyBoard on this. I have nearly 61k miles on the clock and have replaced only one tyre so far. I never reach my annual service mileage and my insurance covers me for 60 days in Europe. However, I can't see driving ever being economic for only the two of us.
ski holidays
altis, I'm curious. What car - and what tyres?
ski holidays
andy, The title of the thread asks for the true cost. Part of my job involves working out the precise running cost of of a vehicle.
The AA car running costs table will show an average car's doing 14-22,000 miles per year will have annual standing costs of approx £3843.00 and running costs of 21.4 pence per mile.... but as you say, just pocket money.
latest report
This is all really interesting. For me, door-to-door to somewhere nearish Geneva is probably exactly the same by air or by road. Looks like 2 passengers by car is more or less a break-even point, and 3 passengers starts to look like a profit.

Never done it before, but am thinking of upgrading the gas-sucking 2-door noisy hatchbastard to a big comfy air conditioned sofa of a thing in the near future, so might look attractive this season or next or the one after...
snow report
Quote:

Cheap it isn't though, we always have 1 overnight each way too.

and you might need to do so, even when not planned - the weather can upset everything. For us, driving is a no-brainer, given horrendous hire costs now, but it's not often going to be cheaper for a week, except at half term (not that I've ever been skiing at half term yet, nor ever intend to.....). I've not thought for a long time about how many miles we get out of a set of tyres. (I find it best not to tot up the cost of motoring, or skiing). The ones we've replaced on this car were because of damage (OH drove into kerbs on two occasions and faulty tracking, not repaired after an accident, caused bad damage too - paid for by insurance company after lots of irate correspondence about their negligence). Two of the four snow tyres need replacing now - they're legal, but not good enough for snow. But they've done three winters, including two return trips from the UK to the Alps, and are left on from Dec - April. The vehicle has done 64,000 miles in 3.5 years but we've not spent a lot on tyres. We drive them considerately, keep them properly inflated and have the tracking checked when we swap from winter/summer tyres (a season in the Alps, with some rough surfaces, chains etc can upset the tracking).

My dad always used to reckon to change his car when it needed a new set of tyres - was probably nearer 40,000 miles than 12. He was sadly deluded, in my view - but like most drivers who pay for "new" cars (and those who reckon it's cheap to drive to the Alps) he was blinkered about depreciation. Our last car was passed on to one of the offspring (at just below book price wink with 140K on the clock. Continued to cause no problem at all (Toyota).
snow report
achilles wrote:
altis, I'm curious. What car - and what tyres?

Daihatsu Hijet LPG with Michelin X 155R12C - tiny!!!
snow conditions
not been mentioned yet but if you're looking for cheaper family holidays, then some Austrian resorts are well within driving distance, can be cheaper than France and very few toll charges
snow report
Part of the disagreement above is a failure to distinguish between the marginal costs of driving to the Alps and the full costs of doing so. The full costs have to calculated as FtS is doing - most of the posts above are looking at marginal costs.
snow conditions
andy wrote:
......probably less than a return bus fare to your nearest airport.

Return train fare to EMA booked in advance - £13.90 with senior rail card. Return bus fare Grenoble to Les deux Alpes - about €26.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I don't suppose you any web links sites giving typical running costs inc. depreciation & servicing, by model ? I used to have one, but can't find it. I recall at the time my car worked out at about 50p a mile all in. Stuff like EVO VI's were something like £2.50 a mile Shocked
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/running_costs/index.html is a good place to start.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've a company car which negates some of the marginal costs but adds some others in. I have to have green card and a certificate giving permission to take car abroad. Company also insists I have breakdown cover which includes repatriation of car if necessary which usually means AA or RAC.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Part of the disagreement above is a failure to distinguish between the marginal costs of driving to the Alps and the full costs of doing so. The full costs have to calculated as FtS is doing - most of the posts above are looking at marginal costs.

Isn't that sort of the same thing as when one calculates a self-catered holiday total spend and includes the eating and the drinking.

After all, I'd do that anyway - on holiday or not - so it's not really part of the holiday cost. Or is it?
snow report
paulio, You wouldn't normally travel 2000 miles in a week.
snow conditions
paulio, except that for every journey of a car, you could say you'd have the car anyway. The only way to work out the cost is the full cost, IMV. Even if you are determined to stick to 'marginal cost' you get into a mess defining it. For example you are exposing your car to extra risk compared to leaving it in your garage back hoe - so you are more likely to have an insurance claim. And of course you are adding to wear, servicing costs, and depreciation.
ski holidays
chances are, if you're driving, you won't have the wear and tear on your luggage as you would when flying, don't forget that in your micro costings
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, don't get chippy mate I know for a fact that it is a heap cheaper for me and my family to drive is all I'm saying. Wink

I don't get 40K out of each tyre (the drive tyres wear out quicker than the freewheeling ones as I'm sure you're aware). A good set of hard tyres not driven like a maniac gives me an average of about 40K for a set (that's not 40K a corner).

I get my car serviced every 12 months as per the manufacturers warranty requirements and despite driving to the Alps twice a year have yet to do more than the 20K that would require an earlier service (so as far as I'm concerned that makes the trip to France free as far as servicing is required because I would be paying for the very same service on the very same day anyway).

As my car is only a couple of years old it doesn't really use much oil, I probably have to top it up every 4 months and it's never more than half the dipstick measurement.

I do pay for parking when I go shopping in town etc, but have not encountered any charges in a resort when on a trip.

Do you really think it would be more economical for me to fly 2 adults and 2 kids and then either hire a car or sort out transfers? If you can find me flights and car hire for less than my driving costs I'll rip your arm off for it, it ain't gonna happen tho Smile
latest report
paulio,
Quote:

Isn't that sort of the same thing as when one calculates a self-catered holiday total spend and includes the eating and the drinking.

After all, I'd do that anyway - on holiday or not - so it's not really part of the holiday cost. Or is it?

I think you have to be comparing like withl ike. I never deduct the price of food I would eat at home from a catered holiday.
latest report
masmith, I won't. The suitcase I was using on holiday this summer is 25 years old - and has flown many miles. I reckon the cost of luggage damage can reasonably taken as nil.
snow report
Don't forget to add in the €0.50 per person to take a pee at the Autobahn/Autoroute services (or €0.30 if you go thru Belgium en route to Austria). Although in many German ones you get a voucher back to spend in the coffee shop (thereby ensuring you'll need to stop for another pee). Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-09-09 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

I won't. The suitcase I was using on holiday this summer is 25 years old - and has flown many miles. I reckon the cost of luggage damage can reasonably taken as nil.

Maybe, airlines have twice lost luggage of mine going skiing, the insurance has never covered the cost to me.
snow conditions
It all has to be looked at in the round considering depreciation on all parts (not just tyres) and the actual travel costs. Blockages as noted above can happen or delays when on a plane as well, so it shouldn't be taken into consideration. There is likely to be more of a benefit in cost though overall in the school holidays because of that natural hike in prices.

Incidently, the one huge advantage of a car whilst being away (subject to poor conditions causing problems such as those encountered by achilles, above) is that you can visit totally different areas. We have a habit of stopping off in one low resort like Brides Les Bains, do a day in Meribel, etc then continue the next day to another resort before finally driving to our intended resort. Makes for a great holiday and exciting snow time.
ski holidays
masmith, you also have to cost in the increased risk that someone will slip a kilo of heroin into your suitcase whilst at an airport, for which the bail might be tens of thousands.

Those Easyjet flights you got for £75 don't look so cheap now do they?

I actually reckon given that I live by the sea that my car depreciates more whilst parked, rusting, under a torrent of seagull offerings than it does during a nice engine clearing blast up 500 miles of motorway.

As for 'risk of insurance' and all that, see suitcase analogy above. You can't cost based on 'potential', only on actual spend.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy