Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Transceiver?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a test gave my wife (non skiier) an F1 and told her to find the beacon. 15 mins later she was still wandering around the garden confused. Gave her my S1 (closed) and told her to find it. She opened it without prompting and discovered the hidden beeper withing 40 seconds

She had never seen or used a transciever before and is a complete technophobe. Anyone who says the S1 is complex to use has obviously never seen or used one. You open it and follow the arrow/circle, end of story. I have used a tracker in the past and would take an S1/pulse/dps anyday. Will be interesteing to see the tracker 2 but its gonna to hit the shops too late for this season

I have found another use for the S1, I tie an old Pipes unit to the jack russel when we go walking in strange places. Its quite good at tracking him when he gets the rabbit mist and runs off, even when he is running. F1 and tracker cant deal with moving targets
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is proving to be as unstraightforward (is that a word?) as I thought. Regular OP buddy will be buying the same unit, had narrowed it down to the Pulse and was ready to order 2 of them then got spooked by Facewests website saying it was complex and wavered towards Tracker for simplicity, now just plain unsure, need to do some more reading. Dont expect to use it in anger at Christmas but wanted to get some training in the snow with it then.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-10-09 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Pulse/S1/DPS are all very simple to use (the S1 more so), no worse than tracker. You dont have to go diving into the options and menus to use them. Having said that I found the S1 the simplest of the 3 (and the most intuitive). If you can use a mobile phone you can use ALL of them (the S1 has 2 buttons, tab and select)

Go to the relevent web siites and download the manuals and read, then you can make an informed choice on how easy they are to use

What did it for me was the S1's ability to visualise the locations, if there were a few of you tracking multiple burials, with the S1, you could be sending folks 20 m over that way to probe for target 2 while you zero in on target 1. None of the others give you a map of multiple locations. The visual Map of the S1 is far more intuitive than arrow and distance of the others.

I would be quite happy to give somebody with little experiance my S1 while I used an older unit, knowing they would at least find me (Wether they could dig me out in time is another matter!)

Spend the extra on a digital model you wont regret it. If you can afford to spend more time each year practicing than most folks do skiing then an older model will do fine. If you want to do the occasional practice and more skiing get a digital. In my opinion the searching and location is very easy using a digital, its the probing and digging you need the practice on
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went through this dilemma last year, spending ages reading reviews, a post or two on here.. went for the Ortovox - S1 in the end, fifty quid off with ski club swayed it.
Totally agree with rob@rar, I did the avalanche park many times last season (I know it isn't the real thing..but,) the S1 seemed to wipe the floor with everything else, often getting the 'casualty' within the first couple of probes.
Having said that, it is said that some of the others have a longer 'range', IMHO you need to decide if it's more important to locate someone quickly when within, say 30M, than get a beep when they are at 60M.

It's a dawdle to use in 'idiot' mode, but can still be used in analogue mode if you want a bit of a challenge.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy