Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Twin Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Further to my K2 Seth post, i need to now put a short list together for a pair of twin tip, genuine all mountain skis that will perform well in powder.
These are for my 15yo son. He's 5'8", 10.5 stone. He can ski anything and has had lots of training.

K2 PE's and Seth Vicious are on the list. Thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SPAM ALERT:
179cm High Society FR (semi twin)
180cm Whitedot The One (full twin)
180cm Storm Strike (full twin)

or PM kiwi1 & see if he has any 179cm Icelantic Pilgrims left as he was selling some off at sub trade prices.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski, Scott Crusade but i'm not sure if it is a semi or full twin tip. spyderjon, will know.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Line prophet/blend
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Mollerski, skiied a serious number of brands and twins in the last few years and there's a few all-mtn twins that stand out for me. A lot of the brands that are less well know make some serious skis for good skiiers with better warranty and construction than the leading brands...dont know if this is a concideration you might have considered? I'm 5'11", 80kg and ride a lot of park and pow, a lot of the newer and fatter skis ride really well on piste and are very quick edge to edge, a serious consideration if you are looking for a nimble ski to ride in the park and jib the piste and pow. Some of the best out there were for me the Icelantic Nomad 181, Line Blend, WhiteDot One (if you like carving), Liberty Hazmat, Dynastar Big Trouble and if you like 'em big the Line Sir Francis Bacon. Heard good things about ON3P skis, Praxis, Now although I'm an Ok skiier I don't like 'em too stiff and the ski's I really didnt rate we're ....

pretty much any of the Scott stuff....just too average!
K2 Seth, again pretty mediocre, no zing in them!
Salomon....absolute shite, shite build, shite quality, shite design, shite construction, full of shite gimmicks

ahh, I'm going off on one again, sorry!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
movement gladiator (favourite ski ever) or maybe the movement kamasutra (based on your son's size, but he's still growing so go for the glads). get them while you can though as both seem to be discontinued from this season. generally fairly stiff skis so not everyone's cuppa but if he's a strong charging skier then he may do (i like the stiffness due to my weight, not ability rolling eyes )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've a pair of gladiators available, but to be honest I'd say they may be too big for your lad this season: I'm 5'9" and 11st and I find them a bit stiff, so until he grows a bit they may be too much for him. PM me if you are interested though
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Movement offerings. I noticed Hazmats cheap on Ebay, i thought that they were park skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski, Hazmats are (were?) the all-mountain ski of Liberty - their park ski now being the Phil Larose Pro Model (was the Stealth, and for some the SB).

They now make the Liberty Helix and Double Helix; the Helix in either a 176 or especially a 187 is well worth a look for an all mountain ski if you're looking at skis like the Nomads.
Go Helix rather than Hazmat if you're going Liberty, there are loads of Helix models at very low prices on Fleabay too.

Get your Son to demo (or borrow) a set of the Helix if possible, they might suit and are a better option for your needs than the Hazmat imo.

/one thing though, the Helix doesn't sport rocker - it's a comparatively traditional flat ski - so it's a matter of preference I suppose for powder / off-piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a pair of Red 176 Helix in Plymouth (Only 60m from me). Any suggestions on which bindings would suit? Thanks again. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Armada El Ray?
Volkl Karma?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski, Karmas might suit him nicely I think there are 2 few pairs for sale on the forum at the right price. Aparantly they are quite stiff. I never used them but they are regarded as a good all mountain ski and there are some good reviews on the forum too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski, Karma is no longer in production, in fact was discontinued coming up to 2 years ago, so don't expect to pay a lot for them. They are pretty stiff, but have a racing base, so will go like rockets.

Armada El Ray, I've never really heard much about, It has been out a couple of years, but has never really been seen as a wow ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If he's a ripper, Prophet 90s. Not a particularly jibby ski, needs to push it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The line 90 & karma are quite similar, the seth is a little softer and it's noticeable on piste (who wants to ski on piste anyway!) but it is more of a powder ski, he will manage any ski's mentioned here i'd imagine, but as to which is best, only he can say...
snow conditions
There are lots of 1 & 2 year old dumonts knocking about ebay brand new with bindings fro about €300! Great ski and if its good enough for him.

Love line's stuff but from what I hear the build quality is not to good

K2 Would be very high on my list of twin tips if I was buying always here such good things about the punisher and public enemy I honestly dont think I have ever heard a bad review.

Fall line also seem to be singing the praises of the atomic park stuff this year??
snow conditions
buckers, the Armada El Ray was a BIG hit a few years ago - i.e. a fair whack of podium slots in the X-Games, and the ski of choice for a load of sponsored pro-skiiers at that time.

I have no idea what (if anything) they've done to update it since. It was seen as a 'jack of all' ski, much like the ARV. I suppose it's been superceeded a bit by the success of the ARV, and so faded out from view. Maybe the market just preferred the dimensions of the ARV???

On the upside that means you can probably pick some up for a low price - not bad for a fun ski to thrash around a mountain on... Very Happy

Ordhan, where have you heard that Line's build quality is not too good? - I had thought they were supposed to be fairly robust. Sad
ski holidays
From a few people in Canada last year in 3 resorts when discussing twin tips! Somthing to do with the bases and edges wearing quickly. But I am no expert in this.
latest report
Mine have done 90 days with copious tuning, and don't show it. Bases aren't that quick, definitely not race stock, but I haven't had any first hand experience of quality issues, or heard anything the people I know with Line skis. Given they're essentially the same as K2/Volkl now, I'd imagine their QC falls under the same heading too. Not that that's a great thing, but just saying.
snow conditions
Liberty SB 170cm? Puzzled
latest report
Mollerski, Early version of the hazmat, but more park than all mountain. It measures very short. Sandwich construction so better than liberty's earlier efforts which were cap and fell apart. If you want a cheap liberty then the 176cm helix from sound skis on ebay, they have a best offer on it. seems to get lots of good reviews, i have purchased some to replace my kehuas which are 177, the helix is more than 1cm shorter.
ski holidays
carroz wrote:
Mollerski, Early version of the hazmat, but more park than all mountain. It measures very short. Sandwich construction so better than liberty's earlier efforts which were cap and fell apart.

Thanks. I'll srike that one off. wink
snow report
carroz wrote:
Mollerski, Early version of the hazmat, but more park than all mountain. It measures very short. Sandwich construction so better than liberty's earlier efforts which were cap and fell apart.

Thanks. I'll strike that one off. wink
snow report
Ordhan, I have a pair of made in Canuckistan Lines that are still going strong 5 years down the line despite my not inconsiderable abuse - seen plenty of people still thrashing Karhu Jaks of a similar vintage too. Possibly an early made in China limited problem.
snow report
The Bandit B3s have done me well in snow parks, off-piste and even the EOSB slalom Cool
snow conditions
Atomic nomad Blackeye Ti
http://www.onthesnow.com/gear/ski_reviews/a/10/#
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Atomic nomad Blackeye Ti

Thanks, but not twin tip.
snow conditions
fr0sty wrote:
buckers, the Armada El Ray was a BIG hit a few years ago - i.e. a fair whack of podium slots in the X-Games, and the ski of choice for a load of sponsored pro-skiiers at that time.

Really, I always saw the Armada Pro's riding either the Pipe Cleaner or the ARV, never the El Ray. As it was really an all mountain ski, it was surpassed by others when it came to the park.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Ordham "There are lots of 1 & 2 year old dumonts knocking about ebay brand new with bindings fro about €300! Great ski and if its good enough for him."

Don't tell me you actually think Dumont rides the same ski you'll buy in a shop...even K2 has a punter and a factory Obsethed!
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
DB wrote:
Atomic nomad Blackeye Ti

Thanks, but not twin tip.

The Atomic Snoop (Snoop daddy pre 2009) might be worth a look it's a light ski and at his size/weight would probably be better on a not too wide (sub 95mm) or heavy/stiff ski esp. in the powder.

Sport Conrad might have something that suits .....
http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=42
snow conditions
I can't wait to be reunited with my ARVs, lent them to a friend looking at some Black Crows last year and he was convinced by the Armadas. They make you a better skier. Very Happy
latest report
It's looking like new '08 Liberty Helix 176 with Salo Z10 bindings. What's the verdict?
snow report
Mollerski, the Z10's aren't great - 3 screw toe piece & loadsa plastic. Your son's light weight compensates but if he's doing any hucking or jibbing I'd recommend something a bit beefier.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Mollerski, the Z10's aren't great - 3 screw toe piece & loadsa plastic. Your son's light weight compensates but if he's doing any hucking or jibbing I'd recommend something a bit beefier.

Thanks Jon, which wide binding would do a better job?
ski holidays
Mollerski, go for a non rail design (ie seperate toe & heel pieces that are directly mounted to the flat ski) which has a reasonable metal content, a 4 screw toe piece & no riser plates. Don't know what din setting your son uses but I would have thought a 4-12 din binding would be fine. The following would be good: Marker Griffon, Rossi Axial 120 (same as the Look PX12), Head Mojo 12, Vist 311 or 412. Don't forget to specify the correct brake width.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
It's looking like new '08 Liberty Helix 176 with Salo Z10 bindings. What's the verdict?

Some opinions here ....

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104633

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/68880/review-liberty-helix-08-09
snow conditions
Sorry, one another q. ARV v Helix w'dya reckon? Puzzled
latest report
Whoops! Double post. Embarassed
snow report
.... but isn't the Helix a powder ski and not all mountain ski? I'd expect the helix to give him great float offpiste at the expense of piste performance. 105mm is really wide for someone of your sons dimensions unless it's a dedicated powder ski. The ARV is more of an all mountain ski. As I said before a ski with a waist width of ca 85-95mm would suit your son better if he's looking for an all-mountain ski. e.g.

Liberty Hazmat
Head Mojo 94
4FRNT MSP
Armada ARV

Powder skis and skier size ....
http://www.epicski.com/wiki/powder-skis-and-skier-size
snow conditions
All sorted today. Liberty Hazmats 171 with Head LD12 bindings. Cheers to Sound Skis, Plymouth. Cheers for the SH input. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy