Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

small, family friendly, pretty, snowsure in Dec not fussed about extent - any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tor, no problem, you can PM me but the Toursit Office are very helpful and they have a central booking facility. You might not find a hotel though as there aren't too many hotels, however just out of the village is the Hotel Belverdere, which is a Logis de France, they have a mini-bus to take their guest up to the village or down to the nearest chair-lift.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tor, Yes we went with our kids 8 & 10 years. We used the main Ski school in the town which was very good. Lift passes and ski hire is free for young kids.

We stay at the Broser apartments - http://www.broser.cc/english/index_start.php they are very clean and in good condition. They over look the ski school which you see from your window. Looking at their web site, they allow any day arrival, though you'd obvioulsy have to check your date.

We stayed in the self catering apartments (Spar near by) though they also do B&B. No idea what that is like though.

Google the Obergurgl tourist board web site for general info. If you need anymore please ask.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*good snowrecord for late Dec
*pretty (will have grandparents who'll be more interested in charm & nice cafes than anything else!)
*preferably smaller village rather than larger purpose built
*good skischool/play area in village rather than a hike up the mountain for ease
*good for beginners is a priority so really not fussed about intermediate or harder runs just some nice easy wide runs
*pref within 2 hours of an airport (poss longer if switzerland - say up to 3 hrs if it's a train transfer)
*family friendly hotel

Montgenevre fits your bill

Snowsure in December, for the past 4 christmas's there has been adequate to phenomenal snow.
A mixture of traditional centre and chalets and modern appartment blocks.
Smaller than the usual French resorts.
Good skischool and lots of blues to progress onto after mastering the greens and nursery area. Also a good intermediate area.
1 hour 15 mins from Turin airport.
I've always stayed in appartments there, so I'm not too sure of good hotels. But there are lots of hotels with a walk across a quiet road to the lifts.
A few I know of, but don't know much about are:
http://www.sportchaletmontgenevre.com
http://www.hotellechaletblanc.com
http://www.hotelalpiscottia.com
http://www.hotel-montgenevre.com

http://www.montgenevre.com/hotels_hiver.html?&L=4
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really don't want to sound like a cracked record here, but have posters taken on board that the OP's request includes a stay of one week from 23 December ? That's going to be by far the most difficult criterion to meet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I too dont think he will get it! I would not split those weeks and dont know if anyone else would either! They are very busy weeks and apartments would get close to 3k for those weeks!

Hope he can find a hotel, probably last minute is his best chance but even that is a tall order! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tor, from your requirements, you've pretty-much defined Sainte Foy! Small, great for beginners, good ski school, family friendly, beautiful resort (all stone/wood chalets, no high-rise at all). Check out www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OP, We did exactly what you described last Xmas, with grandparents, at Klosters in Switzerland. It was perfect.

No reason why hotels there can't accomodate a stay starting 23 Dec as long as they have availability. We stayed at the Silvretta Park from the Sat before Xmas, the grandparents came out via train from Zurich a couple days later and stayed at a different hotel, the Hotel Chesa Grischuna for 5 nights and we all left on the same day. They were also able to send their bags ahead from the UK and had them delivered to Klosters on the day they arrived.

Madrisa was perfect for my nearly 6yo beginner. It was a wonderful Xmas. Klosters is such a lovely village its hard to imagine having a bad experience there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Tor,

At the risk of pushing a friends place, try La Clusaz...although not the highest they have had snow for the weeks you're looking for for the last six years I know of.....plus they do mid week to mid week...Have a look at their website Karibuni, all their current stuff is under skiweekender. You never know it might just be what you're looking for.

Hope it helps, cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am surprised no one has mentioned Murren yet. Quiet, quaint and compact, at 1650m.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tor,

Meant to add that the 1 hour transfer from Geneva is included in the price along with ski pass.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tor, La Clusaz is very nice - but I suspect that it might not meet the criterion of slopes in the village right near your accommodation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definately somewhere in Italy you should be thinking about - Dolomites, great for all party members!! Lots to do for everyone! Brimming with charm, beauty, delicious food, great pistes, massive ski area....

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn Sunday-Sunday rather than mid-week but good transfers provided from Venice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the responses to the original question are infuriating. They miss the point and are therefore just not useful.

why is anyone mentioning glaciers in relation to a family wanting a good snow record resort. IRRELEVANT

why is anyone mentioning LES CLUSAZ if they want to be sure of good snow

why is anyone mentioning Saas Fee if they don't want a long transfer.

There are 1 or 2 resorts which fit the bill.

Filzmoos in Austria ticks all boxes as the grandparents can drop down the hill for shops and charm.

Montegenevre has all points requested.

Hogwash about not getting anything for 23rd. I have done some checks and whilst it may limit choice it is all still available.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bramhall,

Mentioned LA CLUSAZ as for the last six years there has been good snow and for a family it's a good resort, surely more choice is a good thing?

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Hogwash about not getting anything for 23rd. I have done some checks and whilst it may limit choice it is all still available.

What's all still available?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy