Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

small, family friendly, pretty, snowsure in Dec not fussed about extent - any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this has been done to death ... I've searched on here but seem to be going around in circles and, at this rate, I'll be looking at a 2010 holiday (if we're lucky)...

I'd love to hear any recommendations for resorts and/or hotels if anyone can help me plan a family ski holiday.

Here's my wishlist:

*good snowrecord for late Dec
*pretty (will have grandparents who'll be more interested in charm & nice cafes than anything else!)
*preferably smaller village rather than larger purpose built
*good skischool/play area in village rather than a hike up the mountain for ease
*good for beginners is a priority so really not fussed about intermediate or harder runs just some nice easy wide runs
*pref within 2 hours of an airport (poss longer if switzerland - say up to 3 hrs if it's a train transfer)
*family friendly hotel

We're really flexible on where we go although I'm thinking France/Switzerland/Austria. I wonder if there's anywhere in Italy I should be thinking about? I really liked the sound of Austria poss serfaus, or obergurgle although I've just had a quick look at flights and there seems to be limited availability to Austria the week before Christmas. But we're open to ideas if anyone has any?

Thanks for any help you can give

Tor
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tor, firstly welcome to snowHead

You will get a lot of advice here - sometimes contradictory but everyone is being helpful!

In terms of resorts I can only offer Vallandry - it is linked to Les Arcs so plenty of skiing. Is also a small village which is very much geared around families, with a good sledging area and also a creche and a nursery slope. at top of lift there is a huge area which is used, can either take the lift down or there is a green all the way back.

We've been there over the last 5 years at Xmas and always had snow

WIll admit is more geared to chalets or self-catered apartments though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Boris

Many thanks for the suggestion - I'm off to find out more about Vallandry now. I've only ever skiied BIG ski areas when we used to go as a group pre-children so I feel as though I'm starting from scratch here.

thanks again

Tor
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tor, welcome to Snowheads. When do you want to go? You're looking at snow record for late December but flights for before Christmas? This makes a big difference because of when resorts open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tor, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

If you're talking about the week before Christmas, and grandparents looking for charm and nice cafes then I think Austria or Switzerland would be best for you. Just a couple of suggestions:
In Austria you may care to consider Zell am See, beautiful lakeside setting, has a traditional Xmas Market in the weeks before Xmas, plenty of Konditorei (Cake & coffee shops). Nice blue runs on the Schmittenhohe, and if snow conditions are poor you have the insurance of glacier skiing at nearby Kaprun.
In Switzerland you could try Saas Fee, a car free village, with nursery slopes in the village, but again with the insurance of glacier snow at the top of the ski area.

Others will doubtless have other suggestions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
starting point http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/www-accueil-389-HIVER-UK-PEISEY_VALLANDRY.html

Les Arcs and the link to La Plagne will give you a pretty big ski area.

How old are the kids?

We've used the creche (Tom Thumb/Pouce) for our youngest their and would recommend it. Also the Ski Schools New Generation and Darentasia offer good lessons for youngsters - there is also of course ESF.

IN terms of oldie worldie there is the walk or lift down to the original town of Peisey which is very nice. We've been with grandparents and they like it

For a view from my perspective there is always http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51593
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Pam - we're looking to go around the 23rd for the week, which is why I'm trying to arrange it myself as the packages all seem to be Sun-Sun.

Tor
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, and thanks for your help too. Is there a way to post replies to the actual reply? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here...

I think I ruled out Zell am See as it's low and for somereason I have it in my mind it's more of a town than a village but perhaps I need to re-visit it? The market sounds fun though although I really want to try to avoid hoofing to other resorts for snow if I can, hence why I'm thinking we need to go higher.

Off to have another look at Saas Fee - I think I may have been put off it as I read here it can be very sunless and stark but surely the village must get some sun??

thanks again

Tor

Alastair Pink wrote:
tor, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

If you're talking about the week before Christmas, and grandparents looking for charm and nice cafes then I think Austria or Switzerland would be best for you. Just a couple of suggestions:
In Austria you may care to consider Zell am See, beautiful lakeside setting, has a traditional Xmas Market in the weeks before Xmas, plenty of Konditorei (Cake & coffee shops). Nice blue runs on the Schmittenhohe, and if snow conditions are poor you have the insurance of glacier skiing at nearby Kaprun.
In Switzerland you could try Saas Fee, a car free village, with nursery slopes in the village, but again with the insurance of glacier snow at the top of the ski area.

Others will doubtless have other suggestions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi again and thanks for the links - your blog/diary made for great reading and your children looks so happy (even on the grass!) Mine are 5 & 3 but we're not relying on childcare as Grandma will be in tow and my husband will be around to help out too - this is not going to be a high mileage ski holiday but more being in the snow (hopefully) with some skiing thrown in and the chance for the littlies to learn ...

I think we'll definitely fly - driving with the children would be a breeze but 10 hours in the car with my Mother has the potential to sever relationships and make for a shabby start to the week rolling eyes

Off to see about hotels there.

thanks again -accueil-389-HIVER-UK-PEISEY_VALLANDRY.html

Les Arcs and the link to La Plagne will give you a pretty big ski area.

How old are the kids?

We've used the creche (Tom Thumb/Pouce) for our youngest their and would recommend it. Also the Ski Schools New Generation and Darentasia offer good lessons for youngsters - there is also of course ESF.

IN terms of oldie worldie there is the walk or lift down to the original town of Peisey which is very nice. We've been with grandparents and they like it

For a view from my perspective there is always http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51593[/quote]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tor, just a word of warning - you will find it practically impossible to get accommodation for a week from the 23rd December. Sometimes in low season you can get midweek bookings, but not normally till the hotels have given up on getting full weeks. But at Christmas? I think you'd be very, very, lucky.

Sorry. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Really? I didn't realise all the hotels ran Sat - Sat too! Maybe I should just give up now Sad

pam w wrote:
tor, just a word of warning - you will find it practically impossible to get accommodation for a week from the 23rd December. Sometimes in low season you can get midweek bookings, but not normally till the hotels have given up on getting full weeks. But at Christmas? I think you'd be very, very, lucky.

Sorry. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tor, No, don't give up. You just need to change your dates! I don't know Austria well, but in France resort hotels are pretty well all Sat/Sat even in low season. If you identified some likely resorts you could email their tourist offices.

Your requirement for a pretty village are at odds with the requirement for good resort level snow at Christmas and skiing on the doorstep. Pretty villages tend to be quite low down - could be good snow, but not guaranteed.

You never know - I may be wrong about the booking business - somebody might come up with a hotel in a pretty and snowsure Austrian village which will let you book mid-week/midweek.

Fingers crossed - but I think you ought to look into the alternatives.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks again - I really like the sound of Serfaus, but it seems v expensive albeit the euro isn't helping. Switzerland may seem better value if the franc is dropping though.

tor

pam w wrote:
tor, No, don't give up. You just need to change your dates! I don't know Austria well, but in France resort hotels are pretty well all Sat/Sat even in low season. If you identified some likely resorts you could email their tourist offices.

Your requirement for a pretty village are at odds with the requirement for good resort level snow at Christmas and skiing on the doorstep. Pretty villages tend to be quite low down - could be good snow, but not guaranteed.

You never know - I may be wrong about the booking business - somebody might come up with a hotel in a pretty and snowsure Austrian village which will let you book mid-week/midweek.

Fingers crossed - but I think you ought to look into the alternatives.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tor, If you want to reply to a specific poster, just click on their name in bold at the LHS of their post, and the quick reply box will open with their name at the start of the text entry field. Madeye-Smiley
If you're looking for accomodation for particular dates in Austria (or some parts of Switzerland and Italy), the site www.tiscover.com is useful.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tor, I would say with your thought of Obergurgl you couldn't go far wrong. It's high and snow sure, a pretty village and good for a family. It's also a lot cheaper than France. We went there last year for a family holiday and had a great time.

We are going again this year. last year we went via Innsbruck but its a lot more expensive this year so we are going via Munich.

Do you want a Hotel or self catering?
ski holidays
voila - thanks for that and the tiscover link!

Tor

Alastair Pink,
snow report
Lech is reasonably high, pretty and has a good chance of snow. Expensive though. What about other villages in the Vorarlberg, can anyone comment?

Zermatt is pretty and will definitely have some snow on the glacier. I don't know about skischool in the village but as far as I remember access to ski slopes is easier in Lech.

Bad Gastein maybe? (i've only been there for a day)

Corvara in the Dolomites should have some easy skiing and it looks nice, too. (plus superb scenery). December snow record...don't know.
ski holidays
tor, You've got it now, although it's usual to add your text after (rather than in front of) the name of the person you're replying to! NehNeh wink Very Happy
latest report
Alastair Pink,

Little Angel how's that
snow report
horizon,

Thank you for your ideas - I'll go and swot up on Bad Gastein, Lech & Corvara. I have a feeling Zermatt is going to be too big as opposed to villagey and for some reason I have it in my mind that it's steep for beginners. I hadn't considered Italy but maybe I should - it's probably fair to say the food may be more appealing if nothing else ...

Tor
ski holidays
David Clough,

Hi David and thanks for your Obergurgle input. I'd rather find a hotel but, at this point, I'm beginning to think we need to keep our options open as we're looking to go mid-week (23 ish Dec). Can you suggest anywhere?

Did you travel with children and can you recommend ski-schools?

Off ot look at skyscanner for Munich flights

many thanks

Tor
snow report
tor,

Galtur fits quite a bit of the description, you will have to fly via Innsbruck to get the short transfer bit.
Couple of caveats, It can be very cold for young children at this time of the year and the ski area is a short bus trip away from the main village. Nice little place though.

Vent sounds like it would fit the bill from the description of a friend who has been, I have not. Likewise Heligenblut.
latest report
We did a holiday with granny once - and what made it for her was being able to take a short walk from the apartment to the ski area, and sit with a coffee and cake, watching the 4 year old with other little ones on the nursery slope. She then took the short walk back and prepared lunch for us all (we were all in ski lessons). Then I did the evening meals. What was also brilliant was that the apartment complex had an open air hot spa swimming pool in the grounds - grandma enjoyed that too, once she got used to the fact that some of those misty figures seen through the steam in the changing room were not just nude, but also male.

That was in St Oswald, which is now lift-linked to Bad Kleinkirchheim (Austria) but wasn't then, if I remember rightly. I didn't like BKK at all - big and sprawly - but St Oswald was quite sweet. A very small ski area but we were beginners and it was fine.

With kids, I think being close enough to the accommodation to get back easily for lunch is really important - meet up, swap arrangements for the afternoon, etc etc.

Les Saisies actually fits the bill very well - but there's no prospect whatsoever of finding accommodation from 23 December. If you really want to go somewhere for those dates then you'd probably need to book an apartment for both the Christmas and New Year weeks - and that would cost an arm and a leg. Even if there are still any available for the New Year week - places are pretty full already.
snow conditions
tor, Serfaus would be a great place for the ages your kids are at but as you correctly state - a bit pricey to stay there and on a par with Lech/Oberlech for example for price. I've just booked Kappl which looks like a mini Serfaus and a lot cheaper. Just along the road from Ischgl. If you're looking to go midweek then I think you can rule out the vast majority of major resorts hotels as they will be looking for Sat to Sat bookings that week. Look at Gerlos too if you're thinking of flying into Munich
snow conditions
tor, you could do worse than research La Rosiere, it's family friendly, has the Petit Montgard accolade, small and not over developed, there are good kids facilities, a very good creche , Les Galopins. In fact it's Ski Espirt's most popular resort for families. There are good beginners slopes, fantastic views of the Haute Tarentaise and terrific value compared to the mega ski stations nearby. There aren't many hotels in the village, it's mainly chalets but even at peak periods it doesn't get too busy. Most importantly it's very snow sure, the resort is usually always open by the 2nd week of December and it's regularly in the top 5 french resorts for snow cover. You can get more information at www.larosierenet.net and for an idea of typical chalets have a look at www.morealps.com you'll also find some great photos of the area.
ski holidays
tor, I would recommend Bad Hofgastein rather than Bad Gastein looking at your wish list. Lovely village with plenty to do, better for Grandparents, great spa for them and kids, more beginner friendly slopes above the town ... I think it would really tick all the boxes.

Give me a shout if you want any tips - there's not much I don't know about the valley. snowHead snowHead

Kersh
ski holidays
boabski,

thanks so much for your suggestion - I'll go and look it up and come back to you if I may!

tor
latest report
boabski,

thanks so much for your suggestion - I'll go and look it up and come back to you if I may!

tor
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon, Zermatt's nursery slopes are in the mountains, not the village, so Grandma would need a lift pass to watch them. On the other hand, its a small town, doesn't feel much bigger than a village, and I can vouch for the tea shops!

Zurs and Lech both would fit the bill, Zurs is gorgeous, and the kids slopes are walkable from anywhere, and Lech has a lot for non-skiers to look at.

Klosters, near Davos would be my vote though-they have 2 kids slopes in town, and a whole kids mountain (Madrisa) a bus ride away. For little ones taking the first steps though, the ones in town would be great, and Granny could walk there and have a look. The town is gorgeous, the ski schools are great, theres lots for non skiers to look at, and its only 1 hour 30 mins from Zurich.
snow report
David L,

La Rosiere sounds great - I'll go and look at those links - thanks so much for the kind suggestion. Can I come back to you for more info if needbe?

tor
snow conditions
Quote:

Zurs and Lech both would fit the bill, Zurs is gorgeous

Puzzled Whilst Zurs is full of 4 and 5 star hotels I would never stay there (unless I was some mega rich person who wanted away from it all, which I'm not wink )- pretty bleak in my opinion, totally spoiled by the road too.
snow conditions
tor, boabski,
I would be a littel cautious about Kappl in December, it has many good points but for non skiing grandparents it has a major drawback of being near the bottom of a fairly steep sided valley. In December it will see virtually no sun and could be quite gloomy.
snow conditions
Kuhtai, very small family resort just 30 km from Innbruck, village set at 2000 m with skiing up to 3000m, learners area at resort level, two separate mountains either side of the valley so you can follow the sun, mainly easy runs http://www.schneegarantie.at/index.php?id=53&L=1 http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinations/austria/k__252_htai/zz3_k__252_htai_accommodation.html

yes - ...........................................................................good snowrecord for late Dec
Yes - no concrete towers - ............................................pretty (will have grandparents who'll be more interested in charm & nice cafes than anything else!)
yes - .......................................................................... preferably smaller village rather than larger purpose built
Yes - with free lift - .......................................................good skischool/play area in village rather than a hike up the mountain for ease
Yes(ish) - easy and very wide 22 km reds and 7 km blues .....good for beginners is a priority so really not fussed about intermediate or harder runs just some nice easy wide runs
Yes - 30 minutes from airport .........................................*pref within 2 hours of an airport (poss longer if switzerland - say up to 3 hrs if it's a train transfer)
Yes - lots of wellness facilities .......................................*family friendly hotel
ski holidays
boabski, I personally am not a fan of Zurs, but having worked there with skischool, a lot of people with families loved it, with the skating on the pond and the small village feel. I came to the conclusion that I am too much of a ski bum/waster, and place too much value on apres ski and a lot of people around to properly appreciate Zurs' charm! Its certainly pretty though...

Although as I said, Klosters would be my vote (actually, Klosters is almost always my vote, unless I go with Zermatt!!)
snow conditions
T Bar,

thanks for the Kappl tip off - my Mother definitely does not need any other black clouds hanging over her at the mo ...

tor
ski holidays
swisssnowbunny,

hi and thanks too for your input - given the utter lack of apres ski planned, Zurs does sound v positive!

tor
latest report
rayscoops,

thanks for the Kuhtai suggestion - that definitely sounds as though it's worth a look Smile
latest report
tor, there's lots of info about La Rosiere on here, much of it unbiased wink
snow report
Lou,

thanks Lou - La Rosiere does sound good but, having looked at the tourist office website, I think we'll struggle to find a hotel - let alone one that will do a mid-week booking over Christmas...

tor
ski holidays
Quote:

let alone one that will do a mid-week booking over Christmas..

tor, you are really going to have to rethink that plan. Given that you'd be eating into two peak weeks - particularly the New Year week - your chances are vanishingly small. Can you not change your dates? Then you'd have a good chance in many of the suitable resorts mentioned above.

If the dates are absolutely set in stone your best bet will be to find a hotel in a valley town somewhere (such as Sallanches, an easy drive from Geneva airport from which you could drive to a variety of different ski areas. But the atmosphere just wouldn't be the same.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy