Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dogs on lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Can you take dogs on chairlifts/bubbles/etc in france and Switzerland? is there a charge?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maddogkate, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead No idea, I'm afraid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maddogkate,
I have seen ti done but no idea if there are different rules for different resorts or if they charge. ( I doubt it though)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maddogkate, welcome. Must be okay in France. I sat next to a right munter in Tignes last year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maddogkate, welcome. Have shared a bubble with a lady and her dog in France but no idea if he had to have a 'forfait' Very Happy

Much as I love dogs, not sure about a chairlift Shocked
Unless the dog was one of those little things you could put in your pocket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
one of the pisteurs in Les Saisies had a dog which seemed to just race around after him - there aren't any gondolas and he was much too big to go in a pocket. He must have been the fittest dog in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually just reminded me that have seen an ESF instructor who always had her black lab with her in Les Gets, often running at the side of the piste in the deep snow rather than on it - so yes, very fit doggie Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maddogkate, we can take our dog in the cable car at Serre Chevalier, but they aren't usually allowed on the chairlifts unless they can be carried. Not sure about the gondolas. Don't think thay are allowed on the pistes either, unless they are avalanche/search and rescue dogs. Some dogs up the mountain belonging to restaurateurs, but they probably come up in the snow mobile.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saw an German Shepherd riding a chairlift by himself once, in Courchevel. Think he belonged to a pisteur because I often saw him near the top station. Cool dog, always used to wear a red bandana around his neck, and didn't have the safety bar down on the chairlift Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maddogkate, I've been skiing at Zermatt with Jeff from otp.co.uk and his dog is legendary in Zermatt and travels on the lifts with him. Rocky's the name. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The ski-school in Breckenridge has a dog who sometimes rides the chairlifts there. My kids were convinced he was real - even when he served them hot chocolate from his kennel - but I have my doubts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The dog from the Chancel Refuge at La Grave will ski down with you then load himself back onto the gondola at P1 which involves climbing halfway up a pylon, change gondola & P2 then run back down to his hut. But they do things a bit differently there.

ARDA dogs will ride chairlifts quite happily.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This reminds me of something I saw many years ago in Wengen, there the hotel at Wengeneralp used to own a St Bernard, everyday it would walk from the hotel down to Wengeneralp station on its own, it would then get on one of the trains going down to Wengen where it would get off, it would then make a brief walk arround the village before going to the newsagent kiosk where they would give it the papers, it then got back on a train and went back up to wengeneralp.

Having said that I have seen dogs on the trains in the area since and even pulling people on sleds and on skis, but I'm not sure of the rules.

Try PM'ing Chris Brookes about dogs in Switzerland as I know he takes his out to Murren with him
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Saw an German Shepherd riding a chairlift by himself once, in Courchevel. Think he belonged to a pisteur because I often saw him near the top station. Cool dog, always used to wear a red bandana around his neck, and didn't have the safety bar down on the chairlift Smile

That is, as you say, very cool. snowHead
Skied all the way down the 5km Marvel green run in Morillon last year with an unknown black dog. We parted company near the bottom and when I got the chairlift up he was busy running back up the line of the lift. One very fit dog.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Skied all the way down the 5km Marvel green run in Morillon last year with an unknown black dog

What skis was the dog using?
latest report
I can't imagine random punter being allowed to take unknown dog onto the lifts/pistes anywhere, but it probably depends on resort. In 2Alpes you can take a dog on the Venosc lift down to the valley both winter and summer, and they can travel in any of the gondolas in the summer.
latest report
jonm wrote:
Quote:

Skied all the way down the 5km Marvel green run in Morillon last year with an unknown black dog

K9 ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
jonm wrote:
Quote:

K9 ? Toofy Grin

That's truly awful. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geepee, Laughing
snow report
fatbob, we've seen that dog doing some of the lake couloirs.

Apparently a few years back there was another dog there. It would rock up in the carpark and get on the lift all the way up to P3 from where it would make its way down sliding on its front. Obviously the normal routes were it bit tame as it decided to up the ante a bit and one day slid down the Y-couloir: hardcore!

I saw someone using a dog lift at resort Q too:

snow conditions
maddogkate, given your username could I enquire if you are asking for yourself?
latest report
I've seen dogs in Canada with a season pass complete with picture!
snow conditions
In my experience in France there's double standards (quel surprise!!)

During the winter - Pisteurs, restaurant workers, lifties, etc etc can take their dogs on the lifts jo public can't.

During the summer - everyone can on chairs too!!

As for the "morillon black dog" if it's the one I think it is it belongs to jonny one tooth who has the restaurant off the top of the marvel during the winter and under the l'airon chair duing the summer and often follows skiers during the winter and mountain bikers during teh summer!!
ski holidays
I took my Dad's dog on a lift in Val. He loved it..... last run of the day coming down la face.... dog slid down most of the way!
snow report
marcellus wrote:
As for the "morillon black dog" if it's the one I think it is it belongs to jonny one tooth who has the restaurant off the top of the marvel during the winter and under the l'airon chair duing the summer and often follows skiers during the winter and mountain bikers during teh summer!!

Could well be! Quite small? I think he joined us about the level of the restaurant and dog and I quickly left the others in our group. Near the bottom he was a bit tired so lay down and I stopped with him too - a friend caught up and whistled as he went past, and the dog set off again! I thought he was lost and was busy looking for someone, but he did seem to know where he was going.
ski holidays
sounds like it... the other day I was up there on our bike and he followed us all the way home....... didn't help that my dog was there too so the three of us had a riot.... got home loaded it into the truck and drove back up to take him home!!
latest report
I'd love to have seen that - you surrounded by two small satellites bombing down the hill... Smile

How is your dog, by the way? Last I heard (towards the end of last season - haven't been here for a while) you had to take him/her to be looked at?
latest report
Fortunately they couldn't keep up on teh downhil bits and were quite happy to have a breather on the flat bits and stop at every stream!!

......she's fine now just... no idea what was wrong with her guess she ate something!

we're moving round your way next week to Morillon!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morillon!? Just down the road! Kate and I are out over Christmas / New Year and again in March - methinks a beer or two may be in order. I won't hijack the thread, but what brought on the move? Hope it all goes well.
latest report
Don't need to live in resort for work anymore, can have a 5 bedroomed farmhouse for the same money as a "holiday apartment" and have all our furniture out of storage

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 23-09-09 20:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy