Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding on the flat--------WTF?

Poster: A snowHead
Alright then boarding types, here's my question. If skiers can stand or slide gently on flats without a thought, what's the equivalent for ye of the single plank?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Walking.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara,
no problem
we can arrange to hook up

funniest time i had was this year in bulgaria,a skier using his poles like a madman on the flat and i came sailing past him!!
got it on video somewhere
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyph. Not quite sure what you're asking.

You can travel incredibly slowly on a board, until you stop. You see dozens of boarders every day on the slopes eeking out every last ounce of momentum, trying to find some gradient. And then they stop.

You can stand still on a board on the flat, on a slope, waiting for a drag, if you've got good balance. It's just often too much like hard work, so you sit, or hit your knees so you can look upslope waiting for those damn skiers to catch up.

But anybody who thinks they're going to ride a board, totally flat, on tracked out piste, or better still coming up to the lift lines, all day, is going to eat a lot of snow. It doesn't happen everytime you do it, not maybe once in five or six times, maybe more, but you will catch an edge.

The confusion here maybe that some people think others are saying it's not possible. It is. It's just the wiser heads are saying do yourself a favour and hold a slight edge.

Riding flat is for powder, slush, completely fresh softish groomers (especially when there's an inch or two of fresh fallen after they've been flattened), restaurant tables and people who don't listen.

John.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BCjohnny, dont forget rocks, stretches of road, large ponds and mud can also be ridden flat. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It doesn't happen everytime you do it, not maybe once in five or six times, maybe more, but you will catch an edge.

BCjohnny, You're so very wrong!!! it did happen everytime for me Sad

nigel b, Sounds cool, I was actually thinkin of boarding but on second thoughts I wouldnt want to inflict that on you! The Ahorn's not a slow flat, its flippin fast and narrow (for me on a board) poling will certainly not be required! thats why it scares the poop out of me. Only saving grace is the little bar at the end of the flat as a reward!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, I guess it's your shoulders coming around then with a bit of weight back thrown in for good measure. Is it always your toe edge?
When I lose the plot occasionally and try and learn skiing I go better sideways, going forwards facing forwards feels un-natural.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny luv plums, It could be for many reasons, the fact it was my second day and i was making it up as i went along may factor slightly!

got a few pointers from this thread so will apply these next time and pray u boarding scum aren't trying to kill me off!!!!

Quote:

I go better sideways, going forwards facing forwards feels un-natural

lots of boarders say this, how un-natural can it be? I always picture blokes in massive baggy pants walking round like crabs Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't happen everytime you do it, not maybe once in five or six times, maybe more, but you will catch an edge.

BCjohnny, You're so very wrong!!! it did happen everytime for me Sad

As JLP says.

If your technique is slack or you're not riding loose enough (too rigid), all odds are shortened.

JLP Laughing . Yep, though no proper roads, just the odd carpark.........

John.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right you guys have been making some outrageous comments that my technique must be wrong. So I threw this video together to prove you all wrong!!

http://youtube.com/v/xuvJxbx48Fw

On the off-chance u guys can pick any tiny faults im open to suggestions!

p.s. this Red is steeper than it looks!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got some tips for you matey,

You need to bend your knees a little more and stay more centred, because your weight is too far back when you are trying to initiate the turn you are having to swing your upper body to get the back to flick round. That'll work for the mean time on blues and reds but you'll struggle to keep control in more tricky conditions, you seem confident enough but you could do with allowing your board to run downhill more, speed is your friend Smile
I'd recommend seeing if you can pick up a couple of refresher sessions at a dome and spend a little time working on your foot-pedalling technique for edge changing.
Going back to the original question i'd say that when you are riding flat, you should look to have a strong centred stance with enough movement in your knees to soak up any changes in terrain, it's about practice and confidence.

Just to say, i think you are brave to post video of yourself riding for others to comment on, i find video analysis sessions horrible personally.

edit - just noticed it says on youtube that it's only your second day, so you're doing well!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you look too rigid
as said above bend your knees more
flicking the back out can cause you to get groin strain
looking good for only your second day tho
a few of us are at hemel saturday night if you want to pop down

after a while the invisible hand rail your using will disappear
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gotta be honest asking for technique tips might take a while....

Hemel Sounds cool, might be able to do that actually, what time you guys heading over. was thinking of goin for a ski during the day while the missus is working there so maybe could go a bit later...

Can teach u guys that wicked starting trick if u think ur good enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, your entire basis for turning is based upon rotation of the upper body and sliding the back end of the board around, which is what most of us do/did when we were learning. Your shoulder alignment should be more along the line of the board so try to un-cock your rear arm (try holding it behind your back maybe) because this is pulling your rear shoulder forward and making you slide the board around on your heel turns (this was a big problem for me when I was learning too Sad ) I would suggest you buy the McNab snowboarding book to help you understand the dynamics of how a board can be turned by applying pressure to the edges of the board rather than rotation of the upper body.

As said above bend you legs more which will give you a firmer edge in the snow, and try to change from edge to edge without sliding the board inbetween the edge change - it is when you are sliding the board (to change from edge to edge) that you are likely to catch an edge

That said, you are doing really well and look confident and enjoying your self, so keep it up Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, You're bending at the waist with far too much upper-body movement and repeatedly putting pressure into your rear foot by being afraid of the slope. Got a feeling that you're stiffening your ankles and trying to control the board with just you feet and not 'using' the stiffness in your boots and bindings to transfer the body's inertia into the board. Get somewhere with a shallower fall line and learn how little movement you need to control your plank.

Falling on yer ass when coming to a halt or standing still is not a part of snowboarding . . . This thread is getting pathetic Evil or Very Mad
snow report
dulcamara, first of all, you are/were doing very well for your second day of riding in that video. like most learners, it looks as though you're scared of falling over, which in itself will probably make you fall over cos you appear to slightly stiffen your body when initiating a turn. (you've gotta remember that everyone falls over when learning to snowboard, and it will feel like you're falling over a lot more than others may have done when they learnt, but it's par for the course.)

all i can suggest is that you relax into the turn more and use foot pedalling, maybe placing your hands on your knees as you turn to
a.) give you something else to concentrate on, instead of over-concentrating on the turn itself;
b.) help you bend your knees more so you lower your centre of gravity and balance easier

this will also help when riding on the flat, as you use foot pedalling of varying pressures depending on the conditions of the surface.

Masque, are you briefly back? or were you just bored of the skiers?
snow conditions
Cheers guys,

I am actually taking notes for the next time I feel like a bit of pain and have another go, I understand I should get on a shallower slope, did that but didnt film it as it was pretty boring (and I wasnt concentrating on technique at the time). This is the old technique of: "if you can do it down an old Downhill run the blues will be easy"

Quote:

Falling on yer ass when coming to a halt or standing still is not a part of snowboarding . . . This thread is getting pathetic

Masque, I ski with lots of good/very good boarders and even they sometimes ungracefully land on their backside when stopping... I just figured it was the done thing, something I had to learn?
ski holidays
Wow, great vid.

And here's me thinking I was talking to someone who could snowboard. Must have missed the "second day of riding" bit.

Joking aside, and with the greatest respect, what you need is about two months on the snow, punctuated with some decent tuition, if it's not coming naturally (or to polish up what's there).

Not be asking the finer points of running flat.

The analyses given are all spot on, and I too gotta give you credit for putting the clip up, but snowboarding is not just about technique. It's also about slope time, confidence, bottle, determination. More slope time, con..............

Good luck. John.
snow report
I'm a long way from an expert, in fact I'm still a whisker away from an intermediate.

But I think that looks alright for day 2 Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Not be asking the finer points of running flat.

BCjohnny, I totally understand that, but thats the bit that really puts me off boarding a bit (gotta remember if i get hurt boarding I cant teach and thats my season blown), the rest is fine and like you say will come with time etc. Got lots of good advice from this thread. If any of it makes that bit easier It'll be the most helpful forum topic i ever read
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
But I think that looks alright for day 2 Smile

Looks not too shabby for a second day boarder.

dulcamara. I got the impression, by the way you were almost debating the advice, that you were further along the curve. My mistake.

One of the most obvious things (amongst many) that you see beginners get wrong is, on a gentle slope, they skim along pretty flat, flicking the snow with one edge then the other. 'Till one catches.

At your stage, try to keep on one edge or other as much as you can.

Good luck with the progression (frustration, pain, tiredness, freezing wetness........................) wink .

John.
snow report
you should give your mate a smack for his encouragement.

Bend knees more, straighten back, relax. Remember as a boarder you own the mountain, the mountain next to that and even the car park. Strut around like it Smile

Stop waving around with your back hand, this is flailing around to compensate for the leaning over the toes stance you have, which will be fixed by straightening up. Put your hands in your trouser pockets and try and board, you'll soon see how out of balance you are there.
snow report
Your pants are nowhere near baggy enough Wink In all seriousness I reckon you could put your bindings a bit further apart, measure from the base of your boot to the top of your knee and then have that distance between the centre of your bindings.

Like others have said bend at the knees not the waiist. Don't lean back, your body should be at 90 degrees to the slope (the steeper the slope the more you lean forward), the natural inclination is to lean back hoping it will slow you down, all that does is pull the front half of your edges out of the snow, making your board impossible to control. Don't try and initiate turns with your upper body, your shoulders should stay mostly in line with your board. Oh and loose legs, think of them like shock absorbers.

There's a really good BASI 2-DVD instruction set which will give you some drills to get it right.

If that's day 2 then you've got the skills to progress for sure Smile
ski holidays
dulcamara, we will probably be there about 6ish
sessions start at 8pm
snow report
if you have trouble on the steep do what I do, penguin stylee Smile

http://youtube.com/v/skA-wHKDUA4
snow report
Jonny luv plums, haha i love it, I always thought that was just boarders being rubbish, i didnt realise it was a genuine technique snowHead

nigel b, I'll ask the boss, if she says its ok i'll be there (or if shes working so i dont have to risk getting punched)

so i have to get to just below BASI 2 standard (anwaeter level) by the end of this season....its on!
snow report
Jonny luv plums, Ha, funny.
latest report
nigel b, Gonna head down to Hemel tonight for 7 ish, gonna do an hour of skiing then hour of boarding, will be wearing a bright blue jacket and lime green pants say hi if you see me.. PEACE
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, i probably wont make it now
ive got my horrible weekend headache at the moment
snow report
Lucky escape then, just found out the slope is shut tonight for a race
snow conditions
I think people hate the flats because its tiring to do right.

You need your knees extra bent and your front leg bent most, putting a big percentage of your weight on the front foot. The board will still twitch around a bit and this spooks lots of low hours riders but you can let it move around and it will 'flag' out behind your front foot, as Masque says, if your weight is on your front foot.

If you are on a long flat, going into switch will give your normal front leg a rest for a few minutes but the act of going into switch will cost you some speed and if you are down to walking pace its already to late to make the swap. Going onto edges often means you may not make the next incline as by riding an edge you will be going across the slope, further reducing your gradient and so slowing you down more.

There are some other cheats you can do to rest your front leg. On narrow paths the snow is rarely flat and will slope up slightly at each side. You can ride an edge on the sides of the path and equalise your foot pressure for a rest.

It normally all goes wrong when your front leg is on fire and you straighten up to give it a rest, which will put more weight on your back foot. Tripping over an edge is then only seconds away.

I have no qualms about calling ahead to skiers on tight tracks, letting them know that I need to pass a droit ou a gauche, on the right or left. Speed is your friend and having to slow down to the pace of a skier who is gently meandering from side to side can make it all much more tiring and may even result in you skating to finish the flat.
snow report
dulcamara, this is what it looks like on a very flat run in bansko
watch the skier!

http://youtube.com/v/_bFu1q2ptD0
snow report
nigel b wrote:
watch the skier!

The one in the schuss position but who does nice non carving speed killing turns? Laughing
ski holidays
Other than all the good advice you've seen on technique your only other solution is practice.

You've got to force yourself to do the flat runs. On my early boarding trips I used to hate the flats, and indeed on my first week I was constantly catching edges and wiping out on flatter gradients especially if it was rock hard pack. I was black and blue from bruises.
On my next trip I went to Vallandry and I used to force myself to do the long winding cat track green from the top of the vallandry chair all the way back down to Vallandry a couple of times a day. Likewise on my next trip to Tignes at the end of every day I would make myself do the long flat narrow green track all the way back down to Les Breviere, and if the crappy 2 man chair was still running I'd go up and do it again.

Force yourself to do a couple of long flat runs a day and it'll soon become second nature.

Riding switch is the same - the temptation is to avoid doing it as you can ride so much better when using your normal foot forward, but you have to froce yourself to do it if you want to learn and progess.
snow conditions
2 face plants on Tuesday on the flat answered in full technicolour the question I asked on page 1, 5th post Crying or Very sad Skullie

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54634#1315637
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, it probably answered the question, but perhaps generated a few more questions to follow wink
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
One of the most obvious things (amongst many) that you see beginners get wrong is, on a gentle slope, they skim along pretty flat, flicking the snow with one edge then the other. 'Till one catches.

TFC, not an instructor, but this, and keeping your downhill edge out of the snow when traversing (faceplant/slam city), is worth any attention you give it.

Quote:
Good luck with the progression (frustration, pain, tiredness, freezing wetness........................) wink

Welcome to the club wink .

John.
ski holidays
Riding flat on flat is like cycling no handed. It's unstable, but you learn to feel the slightest deviation and correct it without thinking. These days the only time I come close to catching an edge doing this is whilst taking my gloves off to answer the phone, turn behind me, wave to someone, and then forgetting I'm meant to be using the force to reach out with my senses... and oops, almost, phew. Shocked

You ride the board flat without worrying about pressure, because you're always ready to apply it. You then end up riding centred rather than on the leading leg, and can even weight toward the rear leg. The faster you go the less laid back and cavalier you can afford to be.

With a nice flexible board (not my bag), whilst gently sliding down a flat you can switch between forward and backwards as easy as changing edge, and even rotate continuously (until you get dizzy).

Naturally, all the this is dependent upon the condition of the ground.
ski holidays
crosbie, flat and slow, yes you can feel and sense the twitches and compensate accordingly, when the speed picks up a bit there is less reaction time and it is then i tend to get on bit of an edge Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I would suggest you buy the McNab snowboarding book

yes, that's really good - I found the BASI beginner one with Becci Malthouse very helpful too, though dulcamara is probably way beyond that stage by now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy