Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice for a terrified beginner!!

Poster: A snowHead
JimW wrote:
achilles,

When a man says something and there is no woman to hear it, is he still wrong? wink

Ah. I see you understand. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks guys.

I think i should give it ago (i think) i still dont really fancy a ski holiday it has to be said that thought still makes me feel rather nervous (and not the good sort of nervous) but i know this would make my bf happy.

Perphaps at a ski dome type place here.

This isnt about me its about doing it for him, and i think thats a reasonable compromise.

?

Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Leaisha, I think almost every possible line of thought has been thrashed in this thread. If you are not up for the holiday you are not up for it. Different things make different people nervous - it's just the way it is. That said, experience can remove nerves and you can come to little harm with a sympathetic instructor (our own rob@rar springs to mind) in a snowdome. Good luck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Leaisha, as you've had 4 pages (that's about 160 posts) of sound advice (Masque aside wink ) please do us the grace of keeping us up to date with your progress. It won't just make your BF happy (actually, probably more like elated), I am sure we all will get a kick out of each stumbling sliding step you make. Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
... and you'll love it! Look forward to hearing about the holiday, and well done for coming on snowHeads to find out about it too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

well done for coming on snowHeads to find out about it too.

yes - good move. But what prompted you to do that?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leaisha, when you have a lesson make sure you tell your instructor how nervous you are, to ensure the lesson is tailored towards your needs and you aren't pushed too hard too soon. Having a private lesson would also ensure your instructors focus is 100% on you, with the bonus of nobody else there watching you learn, if this is something that would be offputting for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyph, WTF! I asked a ? that may have been relevant and some people, not the OP, have got their panties spiked in their blow-hole. I saw that Leaisha has an ethnic login name and wondered if she was being influenced by the perception that ours is a leisure sport dominated by one social grouping . . . well two if the pricks on sticks actually considered us boarders as being human.
It's a great relief that Leaisha is just worried about her own abilities to cope with the physical needs of our sport; One that she is better prepared for than many of us lardarses.

Leaisha, For all the crap about getting sweaty and falling down, don't forget that this is a holiday, make sure the booger takes you somewhere where the snow covered mountain is NOT the only recreational activity, The environment alone is worth the trip, the mountains are ineffably beautiful and you don't need to be falling down them to love being there, especially if there's a spa nearby

Welcome to slushNuts, and to me being an insensitive prick . . . at least for some of these idiots rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Leaisha, we all only have one chance at life. Don't waste any opportunities. The essence of learning to ski, is reflected in one's atitude to life. If you try, and if you succeed at sking, the outcome is a lifelong love of a beautiful sport.

I have skiied for 40 years, and was a ski instructor for 4 years in Austria. I initially gave my GF, later, my wife, some lessons. She then went into classes with another instructor. Now, we ski together, side by side, and she is skiing perfection.

Give away your hang-ups. The whole of life is a learning opportunity.

Go for it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave Mac wrote:
Give away your hang-ups. The whole of life is a learning opportunity.

Go for it.

Wise words, true indeed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Leaisha, if you book lessons you will be in a group with other adults, not kids. You won't look 'stupid', you'll look like a beginner skier - everyone has been through that stage, and you'll see plenty of other people at the same level.

Advice:
- do NOT, under ANY circumstances, let your boyfriend teach you to ski.
- go for group lessons rather then individual tuition, so that you have likeminded people to practice with
- go with an English ski school if possible
- go later in the season (March onwards) when the sun is out and the weather warmer
- stop being a wuss Laughing

everyone is beginner in something, if was everyone ashamed of appearing as a beginner, people wont learn anything... Smile Few ski lessons and you can ski on a prepared slopes, even on the steep ones ! Smile Its just about feeling and noone is telling you that you have to go freeride or something dangerous... on a prepared ski slope its almost impossible to fall by your own fault Smile and if you fall its nothing horrible, you just take your stuff back together, one ski there, the second one over there, etc. Smile However, its still about fun and i think that thats the coolest thing about skiing...
eg, i am skiing since child, not a proffesional, not so fan of a freeride, i just like nice icy slopes, where i know what i could expect, so i can ski on the edge... Definitely try skiing and dont be ashamed of looking as a "dumbass", when you fall down, bcs, it could be fun too, believe... If you fall and you will be ok, it will look as a fun for you too...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, I know where you were coming from.

Leaisha, my sis only started skiing two years ago and she was really nervous but she loved it to bits. She took it really slowly, so much so that for her second holiday she booked back into the beginners class again and pretended she had never skied before Laughing Just take your time and dont push yourself for the sake of your OH. You are trying and he must respect that. I really hope that all of your anxieties melt away the moment you get to the mountains - mine do. Terrified of lifts but I would say one of my favourite places to be is sat on a chairlift looking out at the mountains, cleanest, freshest air you will ever smell and glittering snow beneath you. Go for it - think positive and good luck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, SOH failure? No harm intended.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyph, sorry, a bit frazzled at the min with last minute clear-up, and I take the subject of racism very seriously, even more so now that I'll be in the States full-time and most of that time in the South . . . not a good place for agnostic Obama voting, lefty like me. Spawn o'Masque has instructions to let you know when I get shot Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nuff said, Masque. If you're going to live in the South, just make sure you know the difference between a Dirty Martini and a Dirty Sanchez. Shocked Very Happy
latest report
Leaisha, If you do decide to give it bash all that I would ask is that during the time you do your lessons or snowdome sessions you do so with as an open mind as possible, open yourself to the possibility that despite your clear misgivings you might actually enjoy it. I think if you try it with idea that you won't enjoy it and you will fail you might just as well save your money.

In terms of gear if you do try a snowdome you don't even need to splurge on gear - most of what you will need can be hired at a reasonable rate, and in the equipment section here our very own stalwart of the economy Masque has written a bit about budget gear on the slopes (it's a 'sticky' IIRC). If you go to a resort you may find that you beg, borrow or steal a lot of what you need and there is always TXMAXX, Lidl and Aldi where you will get servicable stuff - use the snowheads search function there is loads on those stores and budget gear.

Now please re-read first paragraph again LOL
ski holidays
Oh well, I guess that the OP did pretty much lay herself open to being patronised.
snow report
andyph,
Quote:

Leaisha, as you've had 4 pages (that's about 160 posts) of sound advice

Nail on head. Cannot believe this is still going on....
snow conditions
Have you been yet Leaisha ??????
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:

Are we sharing the same woman? The current SO was still threatening to fly home into day 3!! Now, 5 weeks skiing on and she loves it - bangs on about the next trip more than I ever did! Mind you, still get the strops on at least one day....never heard ranting on a mountain like it Shocked

Very Happy my gf said it was like i had taken her on holiday showdown Smile but once she got into it there was no looking back, she even wants to make the first week of our honeymoon skiing how good is that Smile
snow conditions
I showed this to my Girlfriend as we're going on our first ever skiing holiday together (with my family) - as in she's never been before and is terrified, similar to that of Leisha.

We're going to Alpine Snowsports Aldershot tonight 'cause I've booked her a private lesson around 7:30pm.

I'm very excited... I believe the word is "Stoked" (?) because I've not been on skis for a season and a half and she will get a proper lesson! I hope it brings her confidence up. (I'm gonna get her some more nearer the time too)

Private lessons are the way to go about it I think, as many others have said.

My GF found this helpful I think although she did not like the comments about not skiing together at all - kinda seems to defeat the object of going on a skiing holiday together! She's made me promise not to try to teach her though... Twisted Evil
snow report
Mr.Si, if you want to spend slope time together, you should think of trying boarding - puts you both at the same level and means you won't be hauling her down slopes she finds to steep because you'll be of the same opinion.
latest report
I almost did think about doing that too... it might be something i'm open to.
ski holidays
Leaisha, Achilles mentioned it before but Butterfly and I are going to do another 'nervous week' this year which will be 20/21 March week, and possibly the week before (but Butterfly won't be there the week before). Have you looked at last year's thread? I don't have time to read all 5 pages here I'm afraid.

You should not fall over much if you have normal balance when learning - if you fall a lot your teacher is doing something wrong. If you have balance issues normally then clearly it's another matter. The main thing is to learn with a group who don't want to rush on too fast. Slow and easy is the way to go if you're frightened. Most groups tend to push people too fast and don't consolidate what they've learned so far sufficiently. Having said this you also need to practise a bit, and should ask your teacher where and what to practise and don't let your BF persuade you otherwise. Very Happy You might surprise yourseld. Very Happy
latest report
Leaisha,
Here is the thread about the trip I organised in March this year and which we will be repeating next March. I am just about to start a thread on it as we have now agreed the date. I have also sent you a PM (Private Message) - access it by clicking on the link under the main SnowHeads logo at the top of the page.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40861&highlight=
snow report
I had a great read through this! It's a pity I didn't think to come onto a forum before I tried my hand at skiing!!!! They are great for advice. I went to Arinsal in Andorra and it was loads of fun bar the odd mishaps. The apres ski was great and as there was a group of us we made the most of our time there. We also went over for Paddy's Day so needless to say we were all done up for the occasion Smile
I have to say it didn't turn out to be half as bad as I expected. Yes I fell down tons but so did everyone else in the class so I wasn't on my own. By the second last day I even managed to ski down to where the shops and ski hire place which gave me a great sense of achievement! Mind you on my last day I tried my hand at it and completely forgot how to stop/ steer and from about 3 minutes before I was anywhere near anyone I was shouting 'Sorry, Sorry, Sorry' in adavance Smile
Noone got hurt though and we all had a great laugh about it. If you can laugh at yourself why does it matter who else laughs???? Laughing

Like all others I say defo go and don't worry too much. You'll be taught by people who know what they're doing and you'll be able to go at your own pace so no worries. Speaking from experience even falling isn't as bad as it seems!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy