Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice for a terrified beginner!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

My boyfriend is mad on skiing and really wants me to learn, i think that it is really sweet that he wants me to learn so we have something to do together but i am really scared of trying it!

I honestly hate the idea of being stuck on skis falling over constantly, looking stupid and being left behind by a group of 7 yr olds that will look pros next to me!!

I'm 25 and know that i'l get there and not want to do it for those reasons but i know i should probably try.

Any advice?

Leaisha
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Leaisha,

Welcome to Snowheads. My advice would be to try a taster lesson first at one of the Snowdomes in the UK or even a Dry Slope. It will at least give you an idea of what it's all about. If you enjoy it...take some more lessons and then you can decide if it's for you.

Skiing is all about having fun....and it's very addictive.

Good luck Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing's easy, and fun.

You won't fall over as often as you think, and when you do it doesn't really hurt. Any time you spend on the floor will, by and large, be spent giggling.

It's not as cold as you think. You'll complain that you're too hot, I guarantee.

You don't need to have the balance of an Olympic gymnast, despite what you might assume.

You might look a bit stupid, so best get over that part. We all did though.

At 25 you'll pick it up in no time, so long as you take a good attitude with you.

Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Leaisha, if you book lessons you will be in a group with other adults, not kids. You won't look 'stupid', you'll look like a beginner skier - everyone has been through that stage, and you'll see plenty of other people at the same level.

Advice:
- do NOT, under ANY circumstances, let your boyfriend teach you to ski.
- go for group lessons rather then individual tuition, so that you have likeminded people to practice with
- go with an English ski school if possible
- go later in the season (March onwards) when the sun is out and the weather warmer
- stop being a wuss Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I taught my girlfriend to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio wrote:

and you are still together Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads! It's been said above, but I'll re-iterate it anyway.

My first bit of advice would be, don't be terrified! Skiing is something that gives immense pleasure to those who do it, and while there are certainly nerves involved you get to go at your own pace and if you think something is too difficult for you, don't do it.

As regards learning, I would always advocate doing a full week of group lessons in your first week. That way you'll be learning with people who are of the same ability as you so you won't feel like you're getting left behind, and certainly no-one will be laughing at you as they'll all be in the same boat. From my experience (though I haven't had lessons for a while) young kids tend to have their own separate lessons so you should be in a group of adults, probably up to 8 people, so you'll get to meet some like-minded people and improve together throughout the week. A group of lessons will typically be 3 hours a day, say from 9 to 12. Then you can lunch and spend the afternoon with your boyfriend on the slopes; just make sure that for the earlier parts of the week you don't push it too hard in terms of what you can achieve, learning to ski is about gradually building confidence over steeper slopes as well as improving your technique.

25 is not old to start learning; the people I always go with didn't start until then and we all go once or twice every year. Try it, don't worry about it, and you'll love it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wot the Lizzard sed....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM wrote:
paulio wrote:

and you are still together Laughing Laughing

If we weren't, you'd have just made me cry.

Yes we are, and it went really well. Day 3 I convinced her to have a proper lesson and the instructor who took her out for a 2 hour lesson expecting a 3rd day snowplougher just shook her head and said 'she's excellent'.

Day 4: first black run. No probs.

Smile

Mind you I also tried to teach her to drive. That was less successful...

I'm larking about here. Although every word of that is true, there's no substitute for proper lessons. We got away with it somehow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi and welcome to snowHead

You won't be in with 7 year olds if you decide to learn to ski. You will be in with lots of other equally terrified adults. You will make friends, laugh your pants off, and discover a whole new enviroment - sun, beautiful fresh clean air....AND the sense of achievement is fantastic.

It is totally addictive. I was utterly rubbish for my first week and a bit, and I was 28 when I started.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple more things:

Pick a resort where the easy runs are low down, and pick lodgings that don't need a long walk of a morning. A long walk in ski boots, carrying skis, is offputting enough once you've earned your stripes, but can be an absolute deal-breaker for a beginner.

One thing I remember really clearly, is thinking that snowploughing (the first technique you'll be taught) looks stupid and is hard work - whilst everyone you can see is gracefully scooting around with parallel skis - and seems to almost not make sense. Other half had the same experience - "why are teaching me this? it's wrong..." It is for a reason, and is only for the first couple of days. Don't be put off by it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hiya

The first thing I would say is that you should try it - skiing is a wonderful sport, great scenery, great fun and addictive!! I would say start off in the Uk at a dry slope with a private instructor. It is much easier to get your feet and balance on skis if you are on an artificial slope, on snow the skis slide around a lot more. You will also have to exagerate the movements more on artificial slopes which will make it easier once you get on some snow. I would say that very quickly you will be able to master the basic ability to stop and to turn and your confidence will really grow. Once you can make good snow plough turns then you should go to one of the indoor snowdomes and have a few lessons on snow itself. Now you should be ready for your skiing holiday. I agree with many of the above comments, you will not look stupid and your MUST take lessons. You will be in a group of adults all of whom will be at the same level as yourself - you will all have loads of fun and you should make good progress quickly. The one thing that I say to everybody learning to ski is to keep having lessons... learn to ski correctly!! Most people get just past the snow plough and then think they can do it and don't need any more lessons!! You end up teaching yourself (which is impossible) and will only ski incorrectly with regards to how you place your weight and body position. This has two effects - you will not improve and you will struggle on steeper slopes so your confidence will suffer. If you keep having lessons, I would say 2 -3 mornings on each ski holiday you will not pick up bad habbits, you will improve and your confidence will be high. I have been skiing for many years and now ski over 100 days a season and I still have lessons every week or two - This means I avoid picking up bad habbits and I improve!! I can tell you that the better you ski the more fun and pleasure you will get from it. And remember it is one of the few sports that you can do whilst also having a drink or two... Good luck and have fun!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leaisha, first of all, welcome to snowHeads!

Secondly, in an odd twist, I agree with everything that Lizzard has said.

Having kids in your group, picking it up like a duck to water, wouldn't be fun... Luckily, the kids will be in a different group, and you will be grouped with other like-minded, probably quite nervous, first-time skiers. There will be a lot of laughing - believe me when I say that it will be with each other, not at each other - you'll all be in the same boat. That's the best thing about learning in a group environment, you'll have support from each other.

If you go outside of the main holidays, it should be quieter, which is always nice, especially when you're concentrating on your skiing. The group sizes are also likely to be slightly smaller (around 6ish, rather than 8ish).

Try and persuade your boyfriend to choose a resort that has good beginner terrain (this makes a very big difference) and also good non-skiing activities/restaurants - so if you have a bad day (unlikely, but they happen occassionally), you'll have something else to fall back onto in the evening so that it won't feel wasted.

I also agree with those that recommend a session at an indoor slope in the UK as a taster. It will be so nice on your first day on holiday just to know how a ski slides on the snow.

I hope you go ahead with it. It'll be the best thing you've ever done.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leaisha, as others have said, I'd suggest having a go in one of the indoor snowdomes if you're near one. It will really help you to get used to standing on slippery stuff with two long planks stuck to your feet. Plus you will get some good instruction to start with. If you are near Hemel Hempstead, they have a new indoor snowcentre (where snowHeads has a monthly ski get-together). Have a look at the Inside/Out instruction http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ offered by 2 snowHeads - rob@rar & skimottaret. I really can't recommend their instruction highly enough. Of course other instructors and snowcentres are also available wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon wrote:
....... It'll be the best thing you've ever done.

Now that's a fact!
snow report
Leaisha, Hi, I was well past 25, when I started and by no means the oldest in the group,Lizzard is right go for group lessons, its great to share the learning experience.
ski holidays
Oh dear - I must have been 38 when I started Sad . Wish I were that now .....
snow report
My advice is go for it! I was new to skiing last winter, but am so glad I decided to have a go.

I had a basics/taster session at an indoor slow slope in the UK before going away. Then a couple of private tuition sessions on the trip itself. It is amazing how quickly you improve with proper tuition. Don't worry about looking stupid, falling over etc! Everyone was a beginner at some stage and you'll be wearing to much clobber for anyone to know who you are anyway! Very Happy

Sam
latest report
Leaisha, I was mid 40's when I started and to make matters worse I chose a snowboard and the company of my 18 year old son and his mates . . . don't think you could make many more mistakes than that Twisted Evil and I'm still completely hooked . . . and not just on pain killers Madeye-Smiley
Go with above and get your basic skills in a UK fridge and RELAX! it's addictive, energetic and enormous fun.
ski holidays
Leaisha, my wife learnt to ski this year at the tender age of 41 - very nervous at first but absolutely loved it. And don't worry about the bruised hips and shins, a couple of ibuprofen and some drinks in the evening and you won't feel a thing Very Happy
snow report
Leaisha, first welcome to snowheads, secondly before you go to a resort get to your nearest snowdome or artificial slope and at least have a taster lesson, better yet learn the basics there, then if you go on holiday together there is less likelyhood of you being stuck with teh complete beginers and far more likelyhood of you enjoying yourself.

Don't worry about being shown up by the 7 year olds, everyone except instructors and ski racers are shown up by 7 year olds, they have no fear so they will do things that the rest of us will wimp out on Laughing
snow conditions
Age certainly shouldn't be an issue. I started when I was 37 and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I'm sure you'll pick it up just fine and be addicted to your annual week (or more) on the snow before you know it. Just like the rest of us snowHead

I agree with the advice on dry-slope / snowdome lessons. I had 4 dry slope lessons before my first week, so I'd already got the snowplough bit out of the way before getting to the resort. Also, snow seems easy after a dry slope!
ski holidays
Leaisha, welcome to snowHead !. Whether you fall in love with skiing depends on your character etc upon which none of us are able to comment. However, if your BF loves skiing then there is nothing you can do that will ever dissuade him from doing it, so you'd better figure out how to enjoy these holidays in the mountains. Very Happy

Listen to Lizzard, especially the bit about
Quote:

- do NOT, under ANY circumstances, let your boyfriend teach you to ski.
even if he is an instructor! In fact, unless you are exceptionally talented, do not anticipate skiing with him at all until you've had at least 4-5 lessons. It will put too much pressure on you and he will try to help and encourage you and you'll fall over and it will be his fault for choosing a slope that's too steep and why did you come on this stupid holiday... yes, we've all been there. Embarassed

If he wants to you accompany him in the future and one day ski with him, insist on a week's group lessons, meet him for lunch and have a great time in the evenings, and enjoy yourself, and you'll have something to look forward to together. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-09-09 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Leaisha, welcome and I can only echo what's already been said - be prepared for an expensive addiction!

(actually it's not too bad until you have littl'uns... then you have to start thinking about creche, ski-school for them, nanny service as they get older, family rooms, etc, etc... Wink)
ski holidays
Leaisha, No 1: Get some really tight pants that show off your bum. You will get much better service from the ski instructor (especially at Hemel Hempstead snodome.)
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, was that what you found? wink
snow report
cathy, oh yes, spyderman took one look at my arse and immediatley palmed me off onto his best and most handsome instructor (oviously not skimottaret or rob@rar Laughing )
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
spyderman took one look at my arse and immediatley palmed me off onto his best and most handsome instructor

He did what to you, onto whom?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leaisha, what Lizzard said - and if something like this comes up next season, try to get on it. easiski is as good as instruction gets for recreational skiers, IMV.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 10-09-09 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
andyph, aren't you over-egging the "don't spend any of your holiday together" pudding just a tad? Skiing with my other half in her 'newborn foal with rickets' days of skiing was some of the best laughs we've ever had. I did shout at her once, I admit, but that was in order to prevent her launching over the edge of a cliff.
snow conditions
Your OH is obviously made of sterner stuff than mine, paulio. If Leaisha really is terrified then no point having unrealistic expectations. Forewarned is forearmed. Easy come easy go. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'll stop now.
ski holidays
Leaisha, welcome to snowHead s
Firstly, may I commend you on your first ever posting producing a great thread Laughing Laughing Laughing
I can only echo many of the comments above. I started skiing at 27, and my sister-in-law started as a very nervous skier at about 47 - she has made great progress with easiski in les Deux Alpes.
From her experience, however, I would echo andyph's comment about being slightly wary of being dragged off by your BF to a slope which you are not yet ready for.

Be prepared to find out that starting skiing was the best thing you ever did and wondering how it is possible that other people survive without Confused
ski holidays
Thanks guys. But my main worry is that i will really really hate it, the thought of being made to it actually makes me cry! I dont like sports and im not outdoorsy at all. I can imagine being stuck on a mountain or snowdome crying my eyes out and getting stroppy with everyone and somehow dont think my boyfriend who has been skiing for years will appreciate this one, i think its bad that i would go with the wrong attitude.

But i want to do this for him.
He wants us to go to a snowdome near where we live so i can have lessons but in his head is already planning weekends away in france skiing together...

Has anyone else had this experience?

Leaisha
latest report
Leaisha, I've seen a lot of people learn to ski, and have taught a few beginners. Very, very few of those have hated it so much that they end up in tears and refuse to do it any more. The majority either like it or love it. My advice would be to have an open mind and give it a try, I'd guess you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're a nervous beginner the choice of ski school is likely to be a major factor in how much you enjoy it. You might want to ask on this forum for recommendations for a good ski school/instructor.
snow report
Go to a snowdome and soon before it gets too busy. Maybe go with a mate who fancies it rather than your boyfriend so you can try it out with no pressure.

Don't do it or stick with it if you really don't like it just to please him - it will make you both miserable on holidays, better to have separate hols if that's the case or develop a liking for spas and walks in the snow, ice rallying, drag snomobiling etc.
latest report
Don't start (because of what people have said here) by assuming that it will feel natural the first day, and then be put of because it feels really awkward. Those who don't take to it give up in the first 2 or 3 days. If you survive that far I guarantee you'll be hooked - probably for life. I've never been a sporty person but I love it, and because I've done it a lot I've got good at it as well. Very Happy

And yes, lessons in a a snow dome are a good idea. That way when you go out to the mountains you won't have to spend most of the holiday down by the village on the nursery slopes. A big part of the pleasure is being up the mountain with those fantastic views, travelling around on skis.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-09-09 17:30; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Leaisha, I echo rob@rar's comment. With the right instructor you should feel secure to try things out without feeling under pressure. Never been instructed by Rob, but I have skied with him - and I reckon he'd have the right personality - he is a real gentleman (even if we do disagree on politics wink ). If you live near Hemel, it might be worth PMing him to discuss whether a private lesson would be suitable for you to get you started.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 10-09-09 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Leaisha, welcome to snowheads.

I put off going skiing for many years for exactly the reasons that you have been talking about. I wasn't at all sporty or outdoorsy either and was reluctant to spend £££ going on a holiday I was worried I would hate. Then by chance I ended up working in Switzerland for a few months in the winter. Some friends came out to visit for the weekend and I took the opportunity to go with them to a ski resort nearby, and booked a private lesson for a day on the nursery slope. I was absolutely terrible but by the end of the day was keen enough to agree to meet him the next day to try a real piste. I was really really nervous but managed to get down most of it on my skis and that was enough for the weekend.

However, it gave me the confidence to book a week's skiing trip later in the season. I went to Andorra and had a week's lessons in a group with other near-beginners and a good English instructor. I fell over A LOT but it's absolutely true that most of my time on the floor was spent giggling. And since then I haven't looked back. I'm not great but I really enjoy it and have gone skiing twice a year ever since. Most of my friends have found it hilarious that I actually have a vaguely sporting interest. (Although not as hilarious as the fact that since I met my husband I have started going camping - skiing is much better than camping...)

I think that it is worth going to a snowdome and getting a feel for it. You'll probably find that it's not nearly as scary as you thought it would be and will start planning weekends away in France yourself. Good luck! Very Happy
snow conditions
Leaisha, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

As others have said, you'll either love it or hate it - I've had many beginners in groups I've organised over the years, but can think of only one person who really didn't take to skiing. However, she loved everything else about the alpine experience and so still came on the holidays for years afterwards, but just didn't ski.

My most memorable convert is a very good friend who - like you - wasn't at all sporty or outdoorsy, and is probably the 'coldest' person I know (has the heating on in July etc). She only joined us as she had just gone through a traumatic divorce and really wanted to get away, but had huge doubts about whether she'd actually ski. On her first day in ski school, she was a nervous wreck but decided to go for it and give it her best shot. Seven years on and she has her own skis and boots, gets away at least once a year, and when she moved to Spain, chose an area within a couple of hour's drive to skiable mountains! She absolutely loves it, but would tell you that she felt sick for the first couple of days whilst getting to grips with it.

My now husband had never skied before he met me, but went along with it for me. He did learn to ski and enjoyed it, but even now, isn't that bothered about actually skiing - he likes the mountain atmosphere, clean air, lovely views, and knows all there is to know about sitting in al fresco cafes, with his book, iPod and cup of coffee!

If you don't try you'll never know and if you DO try and really hate it, you can at least say you gave it your best shot Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

It will put too much pressure on you and he will try to help and encourage you and you'll fall over and it will be his fault for choosing a slope that's too steep and why did you come on this stupid holiday... yes, we've all been there

I'd strongly agree with that - and with most of what's been written above. It is VERY difficult for an experienced and confident skier to "see" a slope from the point of view of a first timer The great strength of good instructors is to choose the terrain - and then set a good line down the slope, to keep you within your comfort zone. I've done a fair bit of this with beginners now, and am not bad at it - but I can ski most of the season; it would be very frustrating for someone on holiday just for a week.

My daughter in law tried skiing for the first time about 10 years ago, in small group lessons with a very good ski school (BASS in Les Gets). Sh was very nervous, especially of having to go up lifts. She got on well, and was beginning to relax and enjoy it. Then on the afternoon of day 3 (I think it was) my son skied with her a bit in the afternoon - actually on the same slope she'd been with the instructor, quite happily. But without him to follow she got a bit quicker than was sensible (albeit still very slow) and had a fall which twisted her knee badly enough that she was cas-evacced home, had operations, etc etc and has never skied since. She's trying again this coming Christmas. Fingers crossed.

However, I can quite see that having some time together is of the essence of a holiday with your BF. One suggestion - provided he has never been on a snowboard - is that he should have a go at it, and maybe have a lesson or two the first couple of days, then muck about together on the nursery slopes in the afternoon. He will then see "easy" slopes and lifts with a whole new set of perceptions (as someone who is a fairly competent skier but started snowboarding about the time I drew my old age pension, I can absolutely guarantee that this is the case, even though your young BF will enjoy a far steeper learning curve than I've done).

I would agree with the idea of a lesson at Hemel - but if possible leave the BF behind. Maybe arrange it yourself and surprise him.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy