Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying into Switzerland - Supplying advance info

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked some return flights into GVA from Newcastle, mid March, with Easyjet. There is a big warning on my booking:

Quote:
URGENT! You cannot fly without providing this information
One or more destinations in your booking require you to provide travel document information in order to comply with local security laws.

FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL RESULT IN YOU NOT BEING ALLOWED TO TAKE YOUR FLIGHT

Has anyone come accross this or do EJ think Geneva is on Spain?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep Jet 2 ask for the same passport info
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We also had to provide passport info for our holiday to Italy next Feb.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, it's standard for EasyJet. Also had to do this, IIRC, flying Ryanair to Londonderry recently ie not even out of the UK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a slight problem with my EJ bookings - I have been asked for this passport information and given it for some flights I booked recently so no problem. However, I made a booking under two different flight references a couple of months ago for flights in December so I thought I'd check them out as I didn't remember having to give this info at the time of booking. I've looked them up under 'my booking' it gives me the option to add the information on one booking but not on the other??? So I hope they let us fly or that the option to add the info will appear in a few weeks time! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loatie, Frosty the Snowman, It totally depends upon specific destination .. not just country. E.G.Sleazy and BA both require for Nice but no other French gateway (afaik) ....

Aviation Security obviously very safe in aviation hands wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, pretty standard now
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, My flight bookings were all for the same route - either gatwick - geneva or the return geneva - gatwick Puzzled Very confusing, but having looked at my bookings again, it seems like there is a difference depending on the leg of the journey. My gatwick - geneva bookings require the passport information but the geneva - gatwick bookings don't. I think this fits in with what you were saying but I just didn't expect the rules to be different for outward/return journeys to the same place Puzzled

I also wonder if anyone will be caught out by this in as much as if, like me they made bookings well in advance (and afaik before this passport info was a requirement) and have no real need to look at the details again on line before they fly, will they realise this new info may be needed. Maybe EJ will send a reminder nearer the time of the date of the flights......... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
e borders

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/eborders/howebordersworks/

The ultimate aim is to know who is leaving / arriving the UK.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 29-08-09 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre,
Quote:

E.G.Sleazy and BA both require for Nice but no other French gateway (afaik) ....
Just booked an EJ Toulouse flight - they required it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never had to do this for a European flight. Is it a very new rule?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
Never had to do this for a European flight. Is it a very new rule?

Easyjet have required this for flights to Spain, for the last couple of years at least. We have flights to GVA for January, and haven't been asked for the details, as yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, Perhaps EZ have started all destinations ?? No idea.

beanie1, 4-5 months ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have always felt slightly protective over my passport details, but in the years I've owned one I've been amazed at the times I've been made to part with them and/or the actual passport (which makes me real jittery). The worst was in a Med Cruise over to the middle East and stopping in on Israel and Egypt I think we had to provide our passports to authorities that boarded the boat when in the ports and they actually kept the passports!!! I thought this was well out of order - I didn't think anyone had a right to separate a British national from their passport, but I thought it best to go along with every one else and hand it over in that sort of country with officials toting automatic rifles requesting it. We got them back, but that was after the visit and there I was in a foreign country with no passport. Shocked This was many years ago I should add.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agenterre wrote:
Hurtle, Perhaps EZ have started all destinations ?? No idea.

Did a couple of trips Lyon to LGW (and back) last season with EZY - had to do this for both flights much comments of 'oh fudge' when I was sitting in nice warm bar with laptop and credit card in hand, when I had to leave laptop, grab coat, walk home find passport and come back to complete booking..
snow conditions
Aer Lingus are not requiring it at the moment! No doubt it will change soon.
latest report
Roy Hockley, Into Nice ex-LGW they have . `The requirement 'seems' to be destination specific. I'm interested to see that EZ appear to have just implemented it unilaterally . Anyone any proof of BA in France other than Nice ?? Just being an anorak !! (I would also advise that my BA-friends suggest it is NCE and MRS only... but they are usually wrong!)
snow report
e borders

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/eborders/howebordersworks/

snow report
Ah, the only European flight I've done in last 4/5 months was Rome and they didn't ask for it.

Megamum, worst place that ever happened to us was on a sleeper train whilst backpacking in Morocco! We were not at all happy, and I'm still not sure if it's something they're required to do - doesn't seem necessary to me.
snow conditions
Megamum, I found that annoying also. Many hotels Europe would keep the passport for a good 1/2 hour or so during check-in before they send it back to my room. I now make a point of NOT turning it over during check-in! wink

Contrast that with most N.A. hotels where they don't ask for any sort of id at all. Never mind KEEPING my passport! Shocked
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
e borders

Nah it's all designed to keep the citizens oppressed (and on a database) in the name of preventing terrorists. In reality it'll be as much use at preventing trevorists as a chocolate fireguard.

We will collect the biographical information contained in the section of a passport that can be read by machine. We will also collect details of the service on which a passenger is travelling, for example the flight number. This information is sometimes known as advance passenger information. We will also collect other passenger information, for example details of reservations and payment. The information will be kept for no more than 10 years

No doubt in a couple of years time they'll be flogging the data to dodgy marketeers for £2.50 a go (see the DVLA selling our data to cowboy 'parking enforcement cos') - just imagine the data mining you could do on a copy of that db: -

Regular trips abroad between December and April
Often of 1 week duration but sometimes shorter
Frequently fly to from GVA / LYS / ZRH / SZG
Less frequent trips in the summer months
Often in France for a week towards the end of April

= A snowHead
snow conditions
bertie bassett, yeah, but the funny thing is how well managed the civil service would have to get to actually make use of it. I had a lost passport incident a few years ago and when I asked the passport agency how long it would take this apparently important information to reach the border controls and our EU friends, they said at least 4 months if ever.

Idiots.
snow report
What happens if you don't supply advance passenger information? I've forgotten to do this before and it has made zero difference to anything.
snow conditions
Quote:

I didn't think anyone had a right to separate a British national from their passport

well if you refused to part with it, they could probably have deported you and your passport straight back to the UK. We were required to leave the entire family's passports in Ethiopia in around 1980 - before being bussed into Addis to sit out an 8- 10 hour delay in our onward flight to Nairobi. We could have stayed in the airport for the time, instead, and hung onto our passports. However Ethiopian Airways took us to a perfectly pleasant hotel, with a big family bedroom with four single beds, and gave us an most interesting meal. You can imagine what my 2 and 4 year old sons thought of an Ethiopian buffet lunch! We got our passports back on returning to the airport, and when the flight finally left the Ethiopian captain and his deputy carried our two snotty, sleeping, little lads over to the aircraft for us. Nice service.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't think anyone had a right to separate a British national from their passport

well if you refused to part with it, they could probably have deported you and your passport straight back to the UK.

Which is why I don't argue, but I still don't feel comfortable when in a foreign country deliberately deprived of it, whilst someone else has it you can't get home!!

Glad you got good service in Ethiopia though Very Happy
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
What happens if you don't supply advance passenger information? I've forgotten to do this before and it has made zero difference to anything.

It is likely to make more difference in the near future. Airlines are starting to mutter phrases such as "deny boarding" if API is not supplied in advance of travel day.
I know that last time I arrived in GVA, at the border control now set up in the airport for non Schengen arrivals, access was very slow as passport details were being typed into a database and checked against some sort of record.
latest report
I suppose what is most ironic - and might indeed be better for a new thread, rather a thread hijack here - is that despite all these controls, imposed one would guess, to stem the flow of illegal immigrants still you seem to here reports every month or so that point at the continued influx of illegals into this country. I don't think anyone would mind all these imposed controls if someone could point at them working and therefore something that the country, and therefore somewhere down the line our pockets actually benefitted from.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy