Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exclusive ski operator goes into administration.

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Descent were ATOL bonded - so if you booked their chalet WITH flights then you were protected. If you booked your chalet without flights then you weren't, hence Prince Andrew lost £30k. Now airlines carry no financial bonding - they do not hold ATOL licences - this is the madness. So people who book direcly with the airlines have no protection but if you book your airline seat through an agency then usually you will be covered. Credit cards can protect but often that is if your flight cost more than £100.00 plus taxes. Some credit cards carry no protection or limited levels. Now the protection only covers the cost of that element of the holiday and not of other elements that are directly linked, so if your airline goes it wont cover the hotel, car hire, transfers, lift passes etc. Also it will only cover the price you paid for your flight and not for the increase in alternative travel arrangements. True, it is small in the grand scheme of things but not if you are one of those caught out - imagine your one and only family ski trip going up in smoke at the last minute for half term? This year plenty of private owners and smaller concerns will be disapering so the need for bonding is even greater. what if you hotelier does pop? It's worth checking out and keeping your eye on these things.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Morrissey, very unfortunate for the people who were affected by those companies stopping trading, but in the grand scheme of things I think that's still a very small number of people compared to the overall ski market? Wouldn't The Ski Company and Descent have been ABTA bonded? Wouldn't XL and Swiss Air have had ATOL protection?

ATOL protection protects you when you buy the airline tickets through a third party, normally as part of a package. It doesn't protect you when you buy directly from the airline.

Quote:

What protection do you get for things like airline bookings when you pay by credit card? Amex always seem to make a big tada about their level of consumer protection for various purchases although I don't think I've ever read the small print.

By law, for all credit card transactions where the total cost of purchase is between £100 and £30,000, the credit card supplier is jointly liable with the retailer, so if the retailer fails to fulfill the contract (due to going bust, or for most other reasons), then you should get a full refund from your CC issuer (IF the total purchase cost is between those limits).

Some CC issuers provide better protection than that in that they will reimburse you where the purchase price was lower than £100, or they will provide travel insurance that would get you home in the case of the operator going bust while you were abroad. I don't know Amex policy in this regard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More info regardinf ATOL if any wants it
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1080&pagetype=90

It's worth noting that in most cases you're not covered by this scheme unless your trip includes flights within the cost of the trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worth flagging up that it's not just flight inclusive packages that ought to be protected - the press seems to have got the wrong end of the stick on this a lot recently. Without wanting to bore fellow snowHead s into a coma the Package Travel Regs (1992) are the bit of relevant legislation:

"Within Regulation 2 a ‘Package’ means a pre-arranged combination of at least two components. When they are sold or offered for sale they must be done so at an all-inclusive price, and when the contract is for more than 24 hours or has overnight accommodation, has either:

* Transport;
* Accommodation;
* A ‘tourist service’ not ‘ancillary to transport or accommodation’ and accounting for a significant proportion of the package’"

Transport can include an airport transfer or a ferry crossing. A "tourist service" is a bit more tricky to pin down....

Effectively if you think someone is offering you a "package" you ought to be looking for some kind of financial protection. This might be ABTA, ABTOT or AITO bonding but it could equally be a (properly run) trust account. From an entirely personal perspective I can't quite see how the likes of Descent can legitimately body swerve this requirement - but I may be missing something!

Now I'll get back in my box!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ctskifam, Descent didn't offer flights or transfers, as far as I know.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty sure they didn't offer inclusive transfers as a matter of course, but they were able to arrange them for guests. Add in ski guides, catering, drink and hot and cold running resort drivers and wouldn't you think it would constitute a package? I'm not going to get into the whole "What is a package, what isn't a package?" debate as it will give me horrific flashbacks to one of my previous incarnations in the travel industry; it has also taxed brighter legal minds than mine for many years. However, I reckon the majority of consumers would see the kind of holiday offered as a package and would anticpate a level of financial protection.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ATOL only covers tours that include a flight as part of the package.

Note (just found out) that one of the major TO's has just cancelled their flights to Italy (for the whole season) so watch out for this. Self drive is "not" covered by ATOL

On a personal note (for what it's worth) I would always book with a bonded TO
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But self-drive is (generally) covered by your insurance. I.e. if you're sick, have to cancel etc you get your money back. Likewise if you break down, you have breakdown cover.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cost of crossing is pretty low compared to flights for a family, and when Speedferries went tits up last year, other operators offered discounted crossings to those affected.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
But self-drive is (generally) covered by your insurance. I.e. if you're sick, have to cancel etc you get your money back. Likewise if you break down, you have breakdown cover.

Had to hunker down in Brides les Bains overnight once, when the road to Val D'Isere and Tignes was shut due to avalanche risk. The travel insurance covered public transport failure, but not the road being barred to my car. Unlucky.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, just another point as Sky Europe went bustthis week and again no financial protection - see here for passengers affected
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morrissey, this is your link.

Could you edit yours out of your post, 'cos it screws up formatting.

Thanks.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ctskifam, I think admin has been remided before to be careful that the eosb isnt a package Confused wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, its a mare and no mistake.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:
Morrissey, this is your link.

Could you edit yours out of your post, 'cos it screws up formatting.

Thanks.
Toofy Grin

Mmm, it appears big bro has done it for me - have no idea on how to do what you have just done. Any tips?
snow report
Morrissey, like this:

Code:
Click [url=www.google.com]here[/url] for google.

which gives:

Click here for google.
snow report
laundryman, cheers Laughing
snow report
Which major TO has cancelled italian flights?
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Which major TO has cancelled italian flights?
Rocketski I believe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy