Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel, anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller, Ok, I want to get to the snowpark on the Kitz side and I always prefer snow travel to bus and lift travel even if it involves hiking, maybe I'll have to 'discover' a new skiroute.

Anyone know about skiing the downhill track the day after? I'd be surprise if it was allowed for safety reasons, although maybe they make it into a GS to slow people down?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Ross wrote:
I'm going on Friday! Will be at the downhill on Saturday, keep an eye out for an Irish flag on Ski Sunday! I heard a rumour you can ski the downhill the following day if you have GS skis - anyone know is that true? Also plan to stay in St Johann, does anyone know is it possible to ski off-piste around Kitzbuhler Horn from St Johann to access the Kitz side of the mountain?

I don't think it is possible, unless you hike a fair bit first and know where you are going. And snow cover is still a bit thin on steep or south facing areas, so you very likely would not be able to do it even if it was sometimes possible.

Incidentally, last week St Johann had the worst snow of anywhere I skied - most of the pistes were pretty hard, with ice in a fair few places.

Skiable, but hard work, particularly when compared with Kitzbuhel the day before and Leogang-Saalbach the day after.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, Thanks, snow in St Johann sounds super, hard and icey, means fast skiing, exciting! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, I believe that part of the course is opened to the masses immediately after the race. It's almost all a regular piste (a dull red road, mainly) with some shortish but (for me) very hairy itinerary bits. The start bit is not normally open, but I think that it might be immediately after the race. Rather you than me, mate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went Jan 2008 and went down the Hannenkam.It is part of a long red back to the town. About half way down we found the start cabin and thought it would be rude not to! I found it quickened rather rapidly with a reverse camber that was testing. I have never raced and probably never will but enjoyed the experience. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The 'hairy itinerary bits' weren't open when I was there, no snow at all just grass. The Familienabfahrt was kept open with artificial snow but it was very wet and heavy, so it was preferable to get the bubble lift back down at the end of the day.

However, standing at the edge of the Mausefalle was quite frightening enough for me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The international ski federation’s web site drily notes: “The first thought to leap into the mind of any skier is, `I did it. I’m still in one piece.’ Only after that will the competitor check his time and, if lucky, has reason to celebrate.”

Sums it up!

Good summary of the experience from US skier Scott Macartney here http://www.examiner.com/x-625-Olympics-Examiner~y2009m1d23-Kitzbuhel-Most-terrifying-downhill-on-World-Cup

I'm not sure will my twin tips be up to it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went in March 2008,enjoyed it, atmosphere in the town lovely, enough skiing to keep occupied for a week. Would I go back? Probably not, got the t-shirt now, slopes a way from the accommodation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its my favourite resort.
Been to a lot of resorts and just the combination of great skiing, great village, great atmosphere and great nightlife is something that I loved.
I have been twice now and hahnenkamm weekend is the time to go. Its superb.
I would recommend, if it snows overnight, to get the bus to Pass thurn first thing in the morning and ski the pistes over there as you will have the ski area pretty much to yourself.
However, if you are snowboarding (yea, I know its a skiing forum) back to kitzbuhel from pass thurn, be aware that there is a huge drag lift that you can't avoid.

Just noticed you have already been. Hope you had a great time, and hope this info helps anyone else going.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went once with the local ski club in the mid 80s. There was hardly any snow so it was completely pants. After that I vowed never to go anywhere again with a dubious snow record. Never experienced conditions that poor since.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross wrote:
I heard a rumour you can ski the downhill the following day if you have GS skis - anyone know is that true?

Don't be so bashful, Peter! You can ski the downhill on the Saturday too. Well, after the race. Austrian television used to show the punters sliding down the Steilhang at the end of their transmissions. That was usually a load of laughs! Actually, I haven't seen it for some years now, so maybe they do now shut off the course till the Sunday. Even then I don't know that I'd try it; weeks after the race the Streif is often still very icy.

Quote:
Also plan to stay in St Johann, does anyone know is it possible to ski off-piste around Kitzbuhler Horn from St Johann to access the Kitz side of the mountain?

There isn't really any skiing connection between St. Johann and the Kitzbühler Horn area. A lift is planned but that is still vaguely way off in the future. I guess you could work your way round to the Raintal (down the back of the Kitzbühler Horn) but that would be quite a tour (and avalanche prone at times).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were once told in Kitz that St. Johann wasn't classy enough to be linked with Kitz an that a link would never happen. Any proposal for a lift should have been made by now to beat the deadlines about environmetalism, think it was 2008. Thread somewhere here about that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri,
Quote:
Austrian television used to show the punters sliding down the Steilhang at the end of their transmissions. That was usually a load of laughs!
I must have been on Austrian television then! Believe me, I was not laughing at the time rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
e.g. wrote:
We were once told in Kitz that St. Johann wasn't classy enough to be linked with Kitz an that a link would never happen. Any proposal for a lift should have been made by now to beat the deadlines about environmetalism, think it was 2008. Thread somewhere here about that.

The local paper two or three weeks back did say that the connection is planned. But at least for next year they are putting all their money into other things (€12 million for an adventure park, maybe mountain biking, if I remember correctly).
snow report
Experienced Skier,but still loved it when I went a few years ago in a very poor season...beautiful place, lovely atmosphere and piste skiing still ok with 15cms of snow and a bit of mud at the bottom (Brixen)...Pass Thun?, was still ok even with poor cover....plan to go back
Forgot to add was there in Feb 2007...poor season...but was great to ski the ski Welt etc which are easily accesible Blush
snow conditions
Beautiful place, full of character.

Without a doubt I reckon Austria is far & away the best place to ski & Kitzbuhel is no exception. Plenty of ski-ing to be had, some fantastic on-piste restaurants and no shortage of apres-ski either - if downing Jaegermeister & dancing on the tables is your thing then head for the Londoner.....not everyone's cup of tea but we loved it!!!

Enjoy!!!
snow report
What are the must-do restuarants - on the mountain and in town?
snow report
On mountain, baerenbad is smashing, get a sofa by the fire Very Happy
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
On mountain, baerenbad is smashing, get a sofa by the fire Very Happy

Oooh yes - is that the one at the top of the long drag? We got snowed up there for a few hours when they shut all the lifts down. Fab place Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy