Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel, anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
i presume a lot have been, have just booked for 9/1/2010 and have never been. reviews and tips would be much appreciated. have searched on here but cant find much real info
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of real info do you want? There's been STACKS posted on here about Kitzbuhel. What are you after?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wether i have made correct choice.....lol.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme, not for the w/c 9 Jan next year?? You are kidding, right?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
w/c starts 19th jan, Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1993/4 New Year. First ever ski trip. Phenomenal. Cried when I had to come home. snowHead

Party town then. Ski-ing was...well beginnery. Lots of walking to lifts and scrumming on ski busses. Might be different now. I would go back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitz sucks.

Rubbish slopes. Rubbish lifts. Rubbish skibuses.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get the feeling that Whitegold didn't like Kitzbuhel Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went in March 2008 and loved it. It's low so you might not always get snow at resort level (I didn't) but there's plenty of skiing further up. It's generally fairly easy. I'm a piste only bimbler and it suited me fine. In fact I only remember one black run that I really didn't like (I don't go anywhere near blacks in France). The town itself is a proper town; bustling and picturesque with friendly people and not over-priced. Accommodation near the Hahnenkamm bubble lift is best otherwise you'll be walking or bussing about but you can leave your equipment in the lockers at the base station (there's a charge for this of course). I'd definitely go back there, that's a good recommendation for a resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Kitz sucks.

Rubbish slopes. Rubbish lifts. Rubbish skibuses.

Now thats rubbish went last season and had a blast, good piste, good lifts cant comment on the buses didnt need to catch any, nice town with plenty of apres..............
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
over graded - i.e. runs marked as red are no more than a blue etc.

good for jagerbombs

covered recently in a thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1290658&highlight=londoner#1290658
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, whatever you do, ignore Whitegold rolling eyes
The people who tell you that there's no decent skiing in Kitz don't know what they are talking about. Sorry! There's a ton of pistes for all levels, and also a ton of really nice off piste as well. That especially applies now that they have connected up the Pass Thurn area with the main area in Kitz/Kirchberg.
I might not recommend it if getting adrenalin rushes in 'one bad move and you're dead' couloirs is what you are looking for. For everyone, else it has all you need. Next to the Arlberg, and possibly Serfaus, it's my favourite area in Austria.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK - I relent wink

Resort views here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=810898
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=319824
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1192835

And also the Feedback thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=323989#323989

I would highly recommend getting the Alpen lift pass that allows you to use the Ki-West gondola and access to the whole of the Ski Welt http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15532#1158832 , for just another 17 Euros for the week
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I actually agree is way overrated. It's not bad, but it's definitely not all that great, and it's way too expensive for this what you get. But I agree apres ski is good. But that's not something what is really important for me when going skiing Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, sorry, I'm confused, 9th or 19th? If latter did you realise that is the race week?

http://www.hahnenkamm.com/cms/en/race_live/news/?id=25&L=1
ski holidays
Even if it's 10days before first WC training, quite few courses are closed due this. I don't remember exact dates when courses around Streif closes, but normally it's at least week before racing week(end) starts.
snow report
Quote:

If latter did you realise that is the race week?

If so, a great time to go.
snow report
beequin wrote:
Quote:

If latter did you realise that is the race week?

If so, a great time to go somewhere else.

Indeed!
snow report
bertie bassett,

Why? I have been there twice at that time and found no real issues - with the bonus of seeing the racing first hand..
ski holidays
beequin, agree. Race week is really good. We've go that time every other year or so.
latest report
Indeed - provided the race course doesn't look like this of course Sad (Jan 07)

latest report
Snow record isn't great.
snow report
2007 wasn't good and the street party was a wash out. Needs surprisingly little snow to get the pistes open though.
snow conditions
e.g.,
Quote:
Needs surprisingly little snow to get the pistes open though

It' mostly grassland, so few rocks, so it doesn't take much to make it skiable. You quite often get little snow down in the valley but plenty of skiable stuff up on top. 2007 was a disaster just about everywhere, not just in Kitz. Forget 2007!
snow conditions
Must have been to Kitz half a dozen times & although the snow isn't always the best '07 was the only year we struggled to find anything to ski. Ended up in Westendorf for a couple of days thanks to the KiWest lift.

It didn't take much of a dump to get stuff open.

If there is no snow in Kitz its likely to be as bad in many places but Austria has a surprisingly good snow record if you consider the relatively low altitude of many resorts.

My worst experience of no snow (actually it was more like brown ice & high winds too) was in Morzine, which isn't the prettiest of places & has practically no night life. There are worse places than Kitz to get caught out!
snow report
IIRC, the snow depths at the time of that photo were 9 cms on the upper slopes. But with a bit of fresh snowfall towards the end of the week and depths of about 15cms, just about the whole area was opened up. It really doesn't take much coverage at all for it to be skiable snowHead
ski holidays
graeme, race week seems to start on 20th. We were there the week before the race week. All runs open except the track itself. Pubs were very quiet though, because everyone was going the next week. When are you going? If 9th, might be quiet time. If 19th then hold on to hat, I guess.
latest report
i am there from the 9th, i was aware of the world cup,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strange how memories fade - I don't remember the snow being so bad at the start of 2007 but no doubt it was. However, even then there was plenty of skiing around Kitzbühel higher up, so I was never short of skiing. Here is a picture from the Steinbergkogel, taken on 17.12.2006.

And I also skiied the Kitzbühel Ski Safari from Kirchberg to Pass Thurn and back on Christmas Day 2006 and was back at Pass Thurn on 7th January 2007. Here a view of the Panorama Alm above Pass Thurn.

ski holidays
@Cathy: January 07 was a real bad winter not only in Kitzbuehel but in the whole Alps. Let's hope that the 07 weather pattern will not repeat anytime soon. Of course, Kitzbuehel is at a rather low elevation but it gets lot of precipitation so if it's cold enough than you will be fine snowwise even at the valley floor. Due to man made snow I am pretty sure that you will be able to ski down to the valley even there is lack of snow in the valley itself.
ski holidays
espri, ah - the picture above was on a particularly nasty week after a severe storm when the heavy rain washed away what little snow was there, unfortunately just before the race weekend. You can just see a helicoper in that picture where they were ferrying snow in from a glacier nearby in a desperate attempt to cover the course.
snow conditions
cathy, you're right. It was a very bad year for snow. I remember them bringing in snow with trucks and helicopters for the race track. But it didn't help - the downhill and super-G were cancelled. However, we punters could still ski happily Very Happy
latest report
espri wrote:
Strange how memories fade - I don't remember the snow being so bad at the start of 2007 but no doubt it was.

It is more memorable for those of us who don't live there, and for whom our only week was badly affected Sad

If you have the whole season, then a few weeks isn't as noticable.

It was really only mid-January that was affected to the extent of many resorts having virtually no skiing. That did catch me that year, as I was in Neiderau for the worst week of it, but even then, skiing was available a 50 minute bus ride away in the Zillertal (we were skiing the Kaltenbach area all week).
ski holidays
For 2007 we were lucky to be there over Christmas when although there wasn't a lot of snow, it was very cold, so what there was stayed. We skied back to resort every day. Mid-Jan was the worst bit of that season, but 2007 was a bit of a disaster in lots of places.

Kitz on the whole is fun, very sociable, good extent and variety of pistes, and with the Alpen ski pass you can also ski at Westendorf/Soll/Ellmau etc.

We skied from Mittersill in the Kitz range this Jan too, and really enjoyed the higher, more remote skiing up there.

D
latest report
I was there last week, not much snow, lots of posh shops, some good pubs Smile
latest report
I'm going on Friday! Will be at the downhill on Saturday, keep an eye out for an Irish flag on Ski Sunday! I heard a rumour you can ski the downhill the following day if you have GS skis - anyone know is that true? Also plan to stay in St Johann, does anyone know is it possible to ski off-piste around Kitzbuhler Horn from St Johann to access the Kitz side of the mountain?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 18-01-10 11:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Peter Ross,

If you can report on snow conditions during yuour stay that would be great. I'm going there on the 27th for 4 days..

Ta Very Happy
latest report
Will do if I find free wifi over there, but looks like there's good cover looking at the webcams, there's currently 15cm in St Johann village so that's a good sign that they have good cover!
snow report
I am going there ot 24-th for a week and will report about the snow also Smile Prey for snow.
snow conditions
Peter Ross, yep, skiied there for a couple of days over Christmas and then there was reported as being only 5cm at village level. Perfectly groomed though, no grass showing through, you'd never jhave known there was such little depth.

Quote:

does anyone know is it possible to ski off-piste around Kitzbuhler Horn from St Johann to access the Kitz side of the mountain?
I'm sure it's possible but probably not practical.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy