Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes December Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone, this is my first post so be nice NehNeh

I'm currently in the process of organising a skiing holiday possibly to Tignes but I'm open to other suggestions.

I know the snow in Tignes is pretty reliable but if anyone who’s been in December could give me their opinion of it I would be grateful! The dates I was looking at going was the 13th to the 20th.

Right, so I’ve got a few questions about general things,

First off...Is it better to rent your own equipment online beforehand with the travel agent or wait until you get there so you can have a browse of the ski hire shops to get the best gear at the best prices and hope the exchange rate is better?

Or perhaps buy your own equipment and pay for carriage? I only manage to get onto the slopes about one week every year so I don’t think it’s worth it at the moment.

Same question with lessons really, I sometimes wonder if the travel companies rip you off.

One last question...Every year we tend to go for self catered because it seems cheaper, but after you add in the cost of the food the price obviously increases. So my question is, is it better value to go for a chalet or half board?

Cheers guys!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-07-09 14:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowrental.net is a good bet for equipment hire. I've been twice in december, first time it was patchy cover, grass coming through and a lot of the runs closed, and that was later than you're thinking of going. 2nd time it was excellent with almost everything open and the pistes were in really condition. You had to hike if you wanted powder though though it was there. I'd go later if possible though, your chances of good snow are much higher.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flippin'kipper welcome to Snowheads.

To answer your questions:-

1) I've been the last 2 years in December, first time 1st-8th Dec and there were great conditions then, second time was last year from 28th Nov-20th Dec. Both years there was knee deep powder (to the sides of the pistes as well, I didn't have to hike for it even early on in the month the second year) and plenty of coverage all over for the whole of the area to be open, last year was even better than the year before. However as rambotion, has mentioned, one of the times it was a bit poor by the sounds of it with bare patches and that although I don't think they have that too often from what I can gather. I think if you can go later then do so, but at the same time I think the week you're considering should be a good enough bet for good conditions. It would be my choice at that time of year anyway and as I've said I've had epic conditions both years I've been although it would be true to say the longer you can leave it the more chance of snowfall. Dec is usually pretty good though there.

2) Don't really know about hiring because I've not hired in ages now. If you are going once a year then not worth buying your own stuff at the mo IMO. My gut feeling is to hire the stuff when you get there unless your travel agent offers a reasonable discount to take advantage of.

3) Lessons, well there are plenty of threads on there if you do a search for recommendations of good ski schools in Tignes/Espace Killy. It depends on who the travel agents put you with too as they might have an agreement with a certain ski school (which may be cheaper as they might get a bulk discount), and there could be better ones to consider if you sort your own out in resort. They might cost you more but could be worth the extra. One ski school I can recommend who operate in that area are Mountain Masters, based in Val D'isere actually but they will go over to Tignes. Also have heard good reports about The Development Centre in Tignes.

4) Personally I think if you like plenty of food on holiday then a catered chalet works out better value than self catering does in Tignes. I find the half board hotels a bit more expensive than catered chalets and you get afternoon tea with chalet board too (although no evening meal one of the nights which gives you chance to go out for a meal that night). I'm a fan of catered chalets and always found they worked out cheaper because the food and drink is paid for in sterling before you start. The Pound has obviously strengthened in recent months which makes things better but at the mo I reckon catered gets you more for your money so to speak IMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We can offer you 7 nights catered accommodation at Les Melezes with breakfast, afternoon tea with homemade cakes and a three course dinner with free flowing wine for £169 for that week if of interest. We can do Geneva transfers at £25 per person each way.

PM me if you want more info...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi flipping kipper! if ur lookin for ski hire in tignes, then ski republic can work out really cheap because its 2 4 1 (depends how many there are of you of course)
the disadvantages of ski republics is that the shop isn't open all day if you need to take faulty kit back, and the standards aren't usually as high. There is a friendly shop called Snowpark, who are slightly more expensive but offer great service.
we offer a catered chalet in main tignes itself, just ask if you're interested. however if you're set on an apartment then try tignes.co.uk for ideas. self-catered apts can work out cheaper but depends where you shop. For example, taking a hire car and buying food in Bourg St Maurice before you arrive in Tignes would save you a lot of money on food.
ultimate snowsports provides british ski lessons but if you want snowboard lessons then try alliance
snow can be great at this time of year, but no guarantee. thats why prices are slighlty cheaper then!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied in Val d'Isere and Tignes the week before "Christmas Week" for the last several years. The pistes were always good and we have been off piste almost every day, although some years it was a bit thin! Last year there was masses of snow that week. So much snow that much of the resort was closed for 13/14/15 December.

Stewart and others have written some great reports on Tignes last winter, over a period longer than the ski season. See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43727
There are also some words about Val d'Isere, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34195 and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44593
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

First off...Is it better to rent your own equipment online beforehand with the travel agent or wait until you get there so you can have a browse of the ski hire shops to get the best gear at the best prices and hope the exchange rate is better?

Once you've decided you're going to keep going skiing, the one piece of equipment (well, 2pieces) you should have, is a pair of boots. (Maybe you already do) Rental boots do not compare to a properly fitted pair of your own. You will be more comfortable, and ski better.

Tignes in Dec sounds good, I might just try and organise something too!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Flippin'kipper

Bargain skis from here - Blizzard skis and bindings from £99:

http://skiwear4less.com/

I got Rossignol Bandits last season online from them for under £250 - saved a fortune. Skis came in a couple of days - excellent service. Bargain boots too (from £85!!) - but I've no experience of buying boots from them.

I see they have a shop in Tamworth - so what are you waiting for Toofy Grin ??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jumper, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flippin' Kipper,
I've just done 4 seasons in Tignes. The latest the links to Val D'Isere were opened was 10th Dec. By your dates the snow conditions for the last 2 seasons were superb, with some of the best powder of the season in both cases.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flippin' Kipper

Quote:

I sometimes wonder if the travel companies rip you off.

I think you already know the answer to that. Tour companies also often give you a hire shop a long way from your Chalet or Hotel.
Skiing once a year means hireing is fine.
Although i am sure like the rest of us snowHead you will get the bug and once a year just is just not enough. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rambotion, We are looking to go skiing this December 10th-14th. Do you have any availability?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="Joanne Mountainsun"]We can offer you 7 nights catered accommodation at Les Melezes with breakfast, afternoon tea with homemade cakes and a three course dinner with free flowing wine for £169 for that week if of interest. We can do Geneva transfers at £25 per person each way.

PM me if you want more info...[/quote

It's a great place to stay as well - ok so it's not the newest place, but if you're out on the mountain who cares about the room, but with good food (and plenty of it) a nice lounge, friendly staff and a fun bar what more do you want...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@charlotte25, welcome to snowheads...this thread is 6 years old and rambotion was making a suggestion not offering accommodation, but Mountainsun is still going strong; I suggest you give them a try
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy