Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Coaching (lev 2) Hintertux - July 28

Poster: A snowHead
FastMan wrote:
Here's a thought, guys and gals. From what I gather, it seems BASI is going to a skills based teaching model? If that's the case, then a request for a candidate to execute, on the spot, a new skill blend (with no heads up on what's coming) is a very good way to test the extent and adaptability of the skills base the instructor owns.

Would you recommend that the entire assessment for that course, which in itself is an essential part of a wide ranging teaching qualification comprising several week-long assessment modules, be determined by a pass/fail situation on that one drill which they had never seen before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, In point of fact the WhitePass or inclination/angulation is on Fastman's DVDs. Laughing Junior T Bar (aged 12 IIRC) was doing it here 2 years ago with me, and I regularly do it with my higher level students. I don't want to get involved in any row about this, I agree that advance info about the course is a good thing, OTOH Level 2 coach has been talked about on here as a race coach qualification so as a second level it's not unreasonable to assume a certain knowledge about race training or skill based exercises.

Wayne, congratulations.

BTW the goalposts were constantly changing in my day too. Mostly though there was a discrepancy between what they said they wanted and what they actually passed/failed peeps on. I will elaborate if required.

skimottaret, I had the impression that LT was sympathising.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
FastMan wrote:
Here's a thought, guys and gals. From what I gather, it seems BASI is going to a skills based teaching model? If that's the case, then a request for a candidate to execute, on the spot, a new skill blend (with no heads up on what's coming) is a very good way to test the extent and adaptability of the skills base the instructor owns.

Would you recommend that the entire assessment for that course, which in itself is an essential part of a wide ranging teaching qualification comprising several week-long assessment modules, be determined by a pass/fail situation on that one drill which they had never seen before?

Rob, how someone performs on the fly, executing a skill blend they might not be familiar with, tells me heaps about the quality of their existing skill base. Whether or not a particular lack of base demands a "fail" depends on the minimum skill level the certification process designers deem appropriate. I'm not going to second guess where that minimum threshold level should be,,, that's up to the organization leaders.

What message I will promote strongly, though, is the importance of the idea of skill building. If instructors pursued it with vigor, regardless of what a specific test required or didn't, they'd be able to boot the ball through the goal posts everytime, no matter how many times the test writers tried to move the posts. Reach that point, and you've reached true expert skiing,,, the same place we're trying to lead our student to.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FastMan wrote:
What message I will promote strongly, though, is the importance of the idea of skill building.

I have no argument with that, but I know a bit about assessing performance and it's not good practice to have wide ranging qualifications decided, on a pass or fail basis, on one assessment criterion for which there is no clear guidance on what the criterion will be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
fatbob, In point of fact the WhitePass or inclination/angulation is on Fastman's DVDs. Laughing

"WhitePass,,,, or inclination/angulation." Exactly, Easiski!!! Inclination and angulation are precisely the skill areas White Pass Leans focus on and require for proper execution. It's all about honing the balance management skills. That's not just a racing thing,,, it's what all skiers who hope to reach their potential need to do. White Pass leans is a higher level drill that will benefit all skiers if introduced at the proper time.

Little Tiger, it was Steve Mahre. Funny story. Back in the late 80's I was teaching a class at Copper Mtn., Colorado. We were working on White Pass leans, and I was telling the story of it's origin. As I was talking I noticed my classes attention being pulled away from me. I turned around to see Steve Mahre skiing by us in his amazing world class form. "Yep, kids, that's the guy who invented it"! It's as relevant a drill today as it was back then.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 5-08-09 23:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
FastMan wrote:
What message I will promote strongly, though, is the importance of the idea of skill building.

I have no argument with that

That's great, Rob. Then please help me spread the word!

As far as the rest of it, it's internal politics that I'm not going to stick my nose in. I just want to help people learn to ski, and I'm going about doing that in the most widespread, productive way I can. My skill building DVD's are being shipped to recreational skiers all around the world, and they're also being used pervasively by instructors to acquire new levels of certification, and pass whatever test their countries governing body tosses at them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastMan wrote:
how someone performs on the fly, executing a skill blend they might not be familiar with, tells me heaps about the quality of their existing skill base. Whether or not a particular lack of base demands a "fail" depends on the minimum skill level the certification process designers deem appropriate.

I say again . . . the whole group passed, including those non-racers (like me) who had never heard of some of the drills.
This has nothing to do with politics (I personally think BASI is generally an OK set up) it's just to do with assessment on unspecified criteria, but (again) the whole group passed so this is evidently not the normal gripe by someone who failed a course seeking self justification.

There were other, extremely serious, problems with the course which I haven’t mentioned.
Such as;
At dinner on Tuesday the raspberry ice cream was replaced by a yucky chocolate blend.
In the bar, the G & T's were made with an inferior T
After being pointed at and dead-eyed all week by some trainee Austrian ski instructors I am expecting hate e mails for the rest of my life.
Etc

Oh the dead-eye thing
I got into the (empty) lift on Tues evening. As the doors closed I noticed that someone had left behind an “extremely” smelly one. Gut turning would not be too far fetched. The sort of silent-but-deadly that no-one ever owns up to.
Too late to get out as the doors had closed. So, trying to hold my breath (I was only going to 2nd floor) up I went. Yep, you guessed it, the doors opened at the 1st floor and 2 young Austrian girls stepped in and immediately got the full effect? What the hell is “it’s wasn’t me” in German?
When I got out, even before the doors closed, I could hear them wretching loudly and laughing.
In this case (unusually) it really wasn’t me Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, they still haven't sorted out the ice cream problem? That's really shocking! I shall withhold part of my membership fees until cast iron guarantees are put in place.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, Laughing Laughing

Interesting debate... I have sympathies with both rob@rar, and Fastmans, point of views...

Rob is knowledgable about how to set up testing criteria and Fastman rightly says if you have a good toolbox of skills you should be able to cope with the unknown and that that is the acid test of true skiing ability. I dont think it is unfair to throw unusual drills at students to see how they get on, but it is unfair to get hit with having to pass X of Y drillls that must be performed to a certain standard if you havent been told that this is part of the exam process.

I think the problem is that on the BASI instruction courses, unlike the canadian or American ones, it is very much a continual assessment as opposed to a pass/fail exam day. But sounds as though Sean L's influence and CSCF heritage is creeping into the coaching courses and they are becoming more of a mixed bag of training and pass fail assessment. Most mixed bag solutions cause difficulty

BASI trainers seem to prize versatility and adaptability during training weeks. I have seen lots of very good skiers who couldnt make changes to their skiing come unstuck and struggle. As they are training instructors who must be able to demonstrate lots of different skills (and forms) being hit with the unusual to see how they cope is a good thing IMO...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:

BASI trainers seem to prize versatility and adaptability during training weeks. I have seen lots of very good skiers who couldnt make changes to their skiing come unstuck and struggle. As they are training instructors who must be able to demonstrate lots of different skills (and forms) being hit with the unusual to see how they cope is a good thing IMO...

That's great to hear, skimottaret, that your trainers prize versatility and adaptability. It's so important, as a coach/instrutor to have those attributes in the tool box.

Here's one example of why it's so important. I've been coaching over 30 years, and you'd think after all that time I'd have all my teaching tricks figured out, but I still to this day devise new drills on the spot to overcome learning challenges that individual students present me with. When you invent new drills on the spot you need to be able to demonstrate them on the spot. If you don't have the full foundation skill package firmly in your grasp, and the ability to blend those skills in any manner you choose, spontaneous drill creation is a part of your coaching abilities that is just not possible.

BTW, I had one of those need driven creative moments at the Fast & Easy camp last month. Came up with a new drill to help a student overcome a overly narrow stance, which transformed into a non tipped inside ski when the feet were separated. The drill is a real winner that has the potential to help almost all skiers looking to take their carving to a place beyond flat run rail turning. It promotes inside hip drive, counter creation, long leg / short leg, inside knee tip, and parallel shins and edge angles, all in one shot. It will be finding a home into my regular teaching repertoire. Now I just need to name it.

Hmmmmm. Having written out all those attributes, a name just sprung to mind. How about,,,,,,,,,,,,, THE KITCHEN SINK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastMan, Yeah - I invented one for LT once - beggared if I can remember what it was though - did the trick IIRC. Seriously though, the ability to invent new exercises to help a particular student with a particular problem is essential IMV.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, yep I've been the inspiration for more than a few new specialty drills Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey Wayne, great meeting you out in Hintertux and as I said at the time congrats Very Happy

I managed to pull in a pass on the L2 so I guess it's ISIA modules next for me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, congratulations.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, well done! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar, easiski, thanks very much Very Happy
snow conditions
roga, well done mate
Did the hat ever come off ?

Do you know if shaun passed as well - have texted him but no reply
snow report
roga, well done!
snow report
Wayne, thanks Very Happy

Not sure about Shaun I'm afraid.

beanie1, thanks appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Did the hat ever come off ?

It did, occasionally ... you'll find evidence on Facebook ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy