Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Coaching (lev 2) Hintertux - July 28

Poster: A snowHead
Any going (apart from me).

If you are send me a PM and we could share car from airport.

See ya

W

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-07-09 8:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, no I'm not, but I'll be very interested to hear how you get on. Lots of reports please Wink .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah no worries - just done the ISIA lev 1 coach (finished today in big fridge in manchester) passed.

That big fridge thingy - been past it a million times and never been in. Actually not bad.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, Well done and best of luck with L2.
Hintertux is lookin good this summer. Have you seen the recent trip report? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1259307&highlight=hintertux#1259307

I'm gonna do both next season lookin forward to it.

How did you rate the snow in that fridge? I've never been but they are not all so good. The new one in Hemel is top class feels like been outside.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know how to compare it to Hemel as not been in a big fridge before.
Seemed ok to me but not the sort of place I would go just for fun.
Shops are nice and costa just open brand new big cafe (opened today).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, Actually starting to look into it now I will let you know if I shall be attending
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did this course last summer, so if anyone would like any info about it then just ask.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was looking at the course only today Wayne, but unfortunately the timing doesn't work for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaserStock,

Yeah I do ( I REALLY do). I put that on the course de-brief about the lev 1. As this seems to be a cut-n-paste course there is virtually no information available about what we're meant to gen up on before we go. If you go on a tech then you know you need to sort out your skiing, on a teach you study to big book, but on these canadian things, nothing. V strage. I have PM'ed you with a e mail if you have anything - or you could put it here for anyone else to see (that may be best)

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes13,

I am off to innsbruck (think that's how it spelt). So if you want to share car let me know. Am going our couple days early to practice flee jumping drills
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, There are some key drills that you must be able to do and lots get unstuck on... practice the following and if you have access to a dome do a lot of slow one leg stuff wink Good luck you will enjoy it

Jumping drills over and under poles, One ski drills, Cloud burst, White pass, Swedish turns, Charlestons
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret,

Cheers for that
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, have they changed the content again? Personally I think compulsory drills are a silly method of assessment, not all drills work for all people. I just couldn't get that one ski falling leaf! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, yeah mainly as when we did it it was only 5 days and now is 7 overall... the extra days is mainly stuff from the APM module and drills are graded pass fail and is where most people come unstuck according to someone i know who failed recently...

RG does like his slow speed one legged drills wink on my tech there was a lot of emphasis on very high speed transitions like white pass, cloud bursts and various stance widths during GS turns. Andi mentioned a lot of this came from the Coaches course content.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, can't find any pm from you!

Basically, when I did the course I had no info on it at all and not really much idea what it was going to entail. It might even have been the first L2 that they ran.

When I did it the course basically consisted of 4 drills ,which you worked up to with a series of easier drills, and a GS race. The format is 1 point for each drill/race with a maximum of 5 points available. You need four to pass.

Drills (to be done on GS skis)

1 leg - ski on one leg on an easy red with no ski on the other foot. Turns need to be rhythmical and controlled. Drill needs to be shown on both legs.

Stopping - skiing into an area marked off with brushes at a decent speed and stopping within the brushes. This got quite difficult as the snow was scrubbed back to the glacial ice.

Jumping over poles - ski straight down a hill jumping over GS poles that are led in the snow. There are 5 of these with a bridge to duck under in the middle as well. Touching the poles with your body/poles/skis constitutes a fail.

Crossover drill - not sure what this entails as we couldn't do it due to bad weather.

With the drills you do get a few opportunities to get each point.

Race

Timed GS race - You need to be within 10% of the time set by the opener.

I thought the standard was much higher than the level 1, imo on a par with the isia tech course. Course was quite hard work as well, we ended up walking up and down to do the drills, mainly because the weather was to bad to find the lift/way back to the course.

Don't take the above as gospel because for all I know it might have changed.

Good luck with it anyway!
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
beanie1, yeah mainly as when we did it it was only 5 days and now is 7 overall...

Eh, what? On the BASI website the only one listed is still 4 days. Is it going to change again?

Unless it's changed over the last few months, AIUI there is a progression of drills for each of 4 key areas: fore-aft balance/alignment, lateral balance, crossover drills & rotational separation, and timing/coordination. They culminate in the satisfactory performance of certain key drills for each of these 4 areas which together with the performance of a satisfactory GS Demo determine a pass or fail. There're also elements on course setting, biomechanics, equipment preparation/tuning and performance analysis.

I hope to do it in the autumn or over the next season.
snow report
LaserStock, skimottaret, what's a Swedish turn Puzzled
snow conditions
A Swedish turn is a turn where you have your inside tip on the snow and the outside ski tail on the snow as you turn. Imagine a cross between a tip turn and a tail turn if you will. Quite difficult to do and practically impossible if you are not centred over your skis.

Not sure how clear this description is, let me know if you need more info.
snow report
slikedges, sorry it is a bit confusing isnt it... when i did it there were only 3 levels with the L1 being all that was needed for ISIA and the course which only ran a few times was a mix of the Entry Level CSCF and parts of the old APM which it replaced.

Now the L1 is 3 days and is stand alone the L2 is 4 days and contains the APM drills as LaserStock, outlines and the other bits you mention.

The pole jumping one sounds to be quite tough...
snow report
LaserStock, i can only do em in traverse, definately one to practice along with charlestons slikedges, NehNeh
snow conditions
skimottaret, Personally, I found the stopping one to be the toughest, but my edges weren't great and after the practices and then the actual test, it meant just short of 20 people doing about 10-15 runs each. With the base on top of the glacier not being massive in September, though we did get about a foot of powder snowHead , it meant that we were down to the glacial ice pretty quickly.

Got to say it took me a while but I can do them now, used to teach them quite regularly. Does take a bit of re-learning at the start of each season though.
snow report
O.....H...............M.....Y...............G.....O.....D
Puzzled Crying or Very sad Puzzled Crying or Very sad Puzzled Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Wayne, someone I did my Mountain Safety with in March failed her L2 Coach at Hintertux in May and she was a decent skier. I think they've upped the ante a bit on this one! I'm doing the L1 in a couple of weeks (indoors) and will be practising the drills pretty hard before I have a go at L2.
ski holidays
LaserStock, will have a go next time I'm on snow Toofy Grin Do you swap at transition or are you allowed to put 'em down over phase 0?
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
I just couldn't get that one ski falling leaf! Evil or Very Mad

Now I have just the thing for that Wink Twisted Evil
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
I just couldn't get that one ski falling leaf! Evil or Very Mad

Now I have just the thing for that Wink Twisted Evil
snow report
I'm going to Munich next Friday AM then will drive over to Hintertux. If anyone want to share a car, send me a PM
Going couple days early to have a bit of a ski for a laugh (got permission from Mrs Wayne)
snow conditions
Wayne, good luck with the course!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, good luck.
snow report
beanie1, RPF,
cheers
Have copied all the stuff of this about the stuff you need to do and think I can do it BUT maybe not good enough, maybe can, who knows.
ski holidays
Wayne, good luck. That's one I need to do next season at some point, so a full report would be useful Smile
snow report
Wayne, yep, best of luck to you, you sound properly up for it, and I too will be interested in hearing about how it goes! snowHead
latest report
Best of luck Wayne, will be out from the Sunday doing the L2 course so maybe see you around snowHead
ski holidays
roga,
si nessun problema, ci vediamo settimana prossima

and if you're not who I think you are then
roga,
yeah no worries, see ya next week
ski holidays
^ I'm not sure who you think I am so can't clarify that but I don't speak Italian if that helps ... I can use Google translation though Toofy Grin
snow report
My son, an occassional poster here Skidog, will be there at the same time for his BASI 2.
Stefan is his real name, kick him out of the bar if you see him there and tell him to get back to the studies.
Smile
snow conditions
Wayne, enjoy
http://youtube.com/v/qFB66xANk1A&NR=1

I think some of the drills mentioned above are in this video. Not sure which is which skimottaret or rob@rar might be able to tell us more Puzzled .

I'll be waiting for a quiet time at a snowdome to try them Shocked
latest report
roga wrote:
I can use Google translation though Toofy Grin

perché è tutto "settimana prossima" Puzzled
latest report
RPF, :10 he goes into an Ollie with his tips raised (a Nollie is with tails raised)

:20 not sure perhaps he refers to as Novegians (we use that term for pole planting with both pole tips on the same side)
:25 i would call that a hopping charleston
:29 Swedish turns
:47 Fast Charlestons

He is very good at these demos, the swiss and austrians use these as pass fail drills for instructors to demonstrate "forms"
ski holidays
skimottaret, Thanks for that. I doubt I'll be putting my first attempts up on youtube. It could be a good fun trying to do some of those (but not the night before the assessment).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy