Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me an exam/instructory ski

Poster: A snowHead
(edited the topic from "Why do ski companies only list a radius at one size?")

Eg, I'm trying to find out the Head iSupershape Magnum's radius/dims at 177. Head won't tell me. Why's that?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-01-10 3:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, They are being lazy, other companies list the radius for all sizes.

Why do you care anyway ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, because anything with a radius of less than 30m is for weenies of course. DaveC can carve slalom turns on any radius ski Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, who have you asked at Head? I can PM you the contact details for their ski chap in the UK, if that would help?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First it was line prophet 90s, then AC30's and now supershapes... the skis you are considering seem to be going on a diet and getting skinnier and skinner.

the heads are 14.7 radius BTW, i know cause i have a pair and they should work out fine for your exams wink good luck!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, skimottaret confided in me at HH his regret at not being able to test skis like the Redeemer wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, i did fancy a go at the orange Ones in a 180 the 89 width 19 M rad seems a nice ski to me for what i like to do and everyone was skiing them quite well and comfortably indoors, the black ones looked like they scared the s**t out of everyone in the dome and were uncontrollable but i do fancy a sneaky go at em this winter Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, If you were thinking around 89mm, then Elan had a demo pr of 888's that were a good all mounting ski.. A lot more carvier than my Gladiators..not that I care that much about that sort of thing...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
First it was line prophet 90s, then AC30's and now supershapes... the skis you are considering seem to be going on a diet and getting skinnier and skinner.

the heads are 14.7 radius BTW, i know cause i have a pair and they should work out fine for your exams wink good luck!!

Yeah, turns out you knew exactly what I'm looking for/at NehNeh I'm back working in IT for now... so procrastinating with a pen and paper browsing the net for skis Very Happy

I didn't ask anyone at Head, I just assumed this kind of info would be on their website or retailers websites, but they all seem to just list "13.5m @ 170cm" - er, thanks. In the past I've noticed a few do it, backcountry.com are usually their saving grace listing all dims and sizes, but they don't do SuperShapes.

Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:
I teach everything but lessons that I know are going to be geared to offpiste on Fischer RX9s btw, and did my CSIA2 on them. I like them, but they're a bit floppy, shaped like a javelin (110mm tip, 70mm waist, 10x tail), and larger radius (18m at 175, iirc). On my last exam week we had concrete pow, boilerplate, mank on boilerplate, slush and deep slush - I had literally no forgiveness from my skis in any of these conditions, and skiing pow on them isn't that flattering or fun.

What I'm doing is doing is consolidating my quiver down to 3 skis so I'm not screwed hopping hemispheres, and to focus my attentions - 4 is just too many, 3 is a push anyway. So, park skis for messing around (more of a NZ ski), lhasa pows for freeskiing (probably less of a NZ ski!), and the best possible exam ski for the majority of my time so I can really learn it inside out.

Ideally looking for: 175-180, 15m~ radius, stiff but not too stiff for low level demo skiing, big-ish shovel. May as well post my shortlist so far from my notepad so I can find it again rather than bin it with work notes...
Dynastar Contact 4x4 (122-75-106) 178cm, 16m
Dynastar Contact Limited (122-72-102) 172cm, 15m
Head Magnum (121-71-107) 170cm, 13.5 or 177cm, 14.7m
Fischer Progressor (not looked up yet)

Yep, I get bored at work Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah only listing radius at one length is really annoying and was a real hassle when i was looking at skis for BASI exams who now have a minimum radius requirement on ISIA / ISTD tech exams.

if the CSIA doesnt have any rules i would go for either the magnums in a 177 or the contact 12's ( i heard poor things about the progressors) the ac30s are really stiff and have a lot of camber and grip so you have to work them quite hard and in SL turns can be draining.

I started off using magnums on my exams but broke em after a few days and then went to my AC30s. Feedback i got was that my long radius turns were much better when on the volkls but i found the magnums best overall (including off piste) and would use them

you might also want to consider Harts if you are in NA... also look real hard at Rossi 9 series they seem to be the BASI trainer favourites at the moment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think a good variable snow/bump ski is potentially a better focus than a ski that complements short radius turns... any thoughts?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You gotta ask yourself what compliments your weak points... An examiner will be much more pickly on piste performance than on Variables. for me the final decision was on which ski performed best in bumps which was by far my weakest area and i liked the magnums best for bumps.

how about ...

Movement Spark 183 121/82/110 R18
Stockli stormrider Off road XL 174 111/75/102 R18.5
Atomic nomad crimson Ti 18m at 176 126 - 86 114

Whitedot Ones??
or one of the head monster series ??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My big problem is I'm gonna have to buy cheap without testing, pro deal or out of season deal, hence all the internet wibbling... I'm thinking that bumps is what might trip me up - it's defininitely what I feel like I'll have to spend the most time on, and given I'm planning on testing in Fernie there's not going to be many days of perfect groomers anyway. Having a good idea of shape is one thing, but the flex pattern on anything I like the look of is a total unknown. I was thinking Magfire 12 esque, until I realised that in my length range they're 20m~ radius, which really isn't going to do me any favours. Ironically with my reputuation for defending fat skis to the death, there's no way I'll ski twins or anything out of the standard norm on exams. I have enough to stack against me being young, english and predominantly a kids instructor...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, if its bumps i would recommend the magnums as a great all round ski. If you are looking for a cheap there is a slightly used pair up for sale here wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52755&highlight=
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
DaveC, if its bumps i would recommend the magnums as a great all round ski. If you are looking for a cheap there is a slightly used pair up for sale here wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52755&highlight=

I have no idea what the pro-form price was, but I'm poor at the mo Sad Contract isn't very long, just enough to get me ticking over to get back out for winter as things go. Let me know if or when you're open to lowball offers tho.. Definitely sounds like they fit the bill.
snow report
A few are listing TR's for various lengths, but my question is, why is there a dispute about proper calculation of TR?
snow report
skimottaret, this all rather brings me back to my point about BASI restricting radius for what are reasonably high level exams. I can't see the French doing that. Mad, mad, mad world.

DaveC, I suspect that the reason that most manufacturers don't publish radii for all lengths is that it's only of importance to FIS racers and err, BASI instructors. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's of interest to some ski geeks, but it is (in and of itself) almost completely information-less to the average skier.

Just to qualify that, I bet I could put the average (well, you define it!) skier on two pairs of different skis of identical radius and they'll feel massively different and I know one skier who you could put on two pairs of skis of massively different radius and she wouldn't know the difference. (Said skier in question, not TOH BTW, is a strong off and on piste recreational skier, but limited in ski feed back to "I like these" and "I don't really like these")
ski holidays
Still not actually bought anything... anyone have any thoughts now we're back in winter? snowHead
snow report
DaveC, no, but for future ref http://www.freeride.co.uk/gear/skis/2010/head/isupershape-magnum.html
ski holidays
DaveC, i am picking up a pair of 2010 magnums today, like em so much i got a new pair and sold my old ones to a mate....

why not just demo a few now your in resort?
snow report
skimottaret, don't forget Gary has a login here now Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Timberwolf, i just sharpened his new ones (my old ones) last night but he did his back in and been off work for a week so may not be using em soon Crying or Very sad
latest report
skimottaret, that's rubbish news, give him my regards.
snow conditions
skimottaret, to be honest a 177 Magnum is top of my list - unfortunately I have no idea where to find one in Canada for non-MSRP, and not seen any in Fernie to demo. Considering paying $30 to give the Dynastar 4x4's in 172/178 a crack for a morning...
snow conditions
DaveC, it has been a while but a whole load of the folks in Banff were on the Contact 10s, I assume it is the same as the 4x4? Also look in to the Nordica HotRods, I have/had (dead-ish now) the Modifieds and they were ideal but a few seasons old now (one of the L4s from Panorama said they were his favourite skis of all time - he was on Magnums) Wink
ski holidays
DaveC, does this help? http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-magnum-skis
ski holidays
little tiger, yeah that's a pretty comprehensive search it seems - thanks! Doesn't seem to turn up any 177s under $750 though, which is a bit unfortunate. Really, really can't spend that much on skis - I spent the christmas period laid up with an ankle injury so I'm already pushing my slightly pathetic ski school wage just to pay rent Sad

I spent the day on some 165 RX8s - really enjoyed it, once I got past the feeling that someone had put me on snowblades. Skied a whole bunch of conditions from ice to powder and all between and they felt really nimble, a bit wobbly at speed but I'll put that down to overpowering the length - definitely enjoyed the shorter radius though.
latest report
DaveC, I am just about to embark on looking at skis as I am just about to do a 10 week ski instructors course where I plan to get my BASI lvl1 and CASI lvl1 in one fell swoop NehNeh. I was originally going to buy a pair of twin tips (planned on hitting up the snow parks ALOT), but reading your posts have made me think twice....are there certain skis that are prohibited from examinations? And are there a type of ski that would suit me better (im 5 ft 7, about 66 KGs, dunno if that helps)?

The reason i am asking you is that it seems like you have a lot of knowledge/experience in this area compared to me and well, have already done the examinations NehNeh

Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Miles, for your CSIA1 (and probably BASI 1) you can do it on snowblades, I'd assume. I'd guess ski choice is 10-15% of the issue for me, and this is for the (ex-)ISIA standard exam. Basically, not worth worrying about too much Smile
ski holidays
Ok, so twin tips will be fine? Wouldn't be a stupid choice on my behalf haha?
snow conditions
Yeah, absolutely fine.
latest report
My son's just been told that his twin tips (Scott Neos) are unacceptable for CSIA 2 - so he and a fair few others on the course have bought Dynastar Contact 4x4s on the strong recommendation of the coaches. FWIW.
ski holidays
Miles, not sure about CSIA, but twin tips (and snow blades, ha ha!) are pretty much the only ski BASI frown upon these days (now the radius rules have gone). When I did my exams half the group and the trainer were on twin tips, back in the day... (actually only 7 years ago).

I can see that if you want to spend a lot of your season in the park you'll want twin tips, but it's expensive to get two sets. You could just consider hiring for the exams.
snow report
Miles, BASI L1 you can ski on what you like, but L2 as beanie1, says it's pretty frowned on. For a start you're not going to be able to do the type of skiing that they're looking for on twin tips, so they're going to make things hard for yourself.
Twin Tips are pretty anti-social, a lot of the time you'll be skiing in close formation behind the trainer, so you'll be giving whoever is skiing behind you a constant face shot. How to make friends and influence people, Eh?
latest report
Plus twin tips make it more difficult for the examiner to see exactly what your skis are doing from behind.
snow report
Ok, as twin tips aren't necessarily needed for the snow park (just do multiples of 360 ha!), I spose it would be wise to invest in a pair that will benefit my skiing examinations. But then the lvl 1's are so easily passed... decisions!! I need more money Sad. If you guys were in a similar situation, what would you do? Rent the twin tips when you want to try tricks and stuff for the weekends? Makes more sense i spose.
ski holidays
Miles, something like K2 extremes (or public enemies) are a good compromise - if you want to go the instructor route asap and really push your skiing technically, I'd say go for the skinny carvers. If you want versatility and a bit more of an all-rounder, wider twins. Personally, I'd go for the twins every time and if you want to go for a level 2 in the future, invest in some skinny skis.
snow conditions
Miles, If you're so good you'll breeze the exams, and there are no official rules, just buy what you really want, what will suit your type of skiing.
snow report
beanie1, :S I dunno if i will breeze the exams as I am not THAT sure of my ability. To be honest, i would say i am a novice, but i would hope i pass my exam Very Happy.

But yeah, i might take the advice of buy what I want this time round, then if i do find I wish to pursue my instructorship, then I will invest in some skis that suit examinations better.

Cheers for the help guys, greatly appreciate it!! And sorry DaveC I couldn't recomment you a ski haha NehNeh.
snow report
On the Austrian Anwarter (equiv BASI 2) the trainers didn't mind what we skied on. People passed on race skis, park skis, my mate passed with a pair of Seths, all mountain skis - as long as you can ski how your supposed to, it'll be fine. Especially for level 1. In fact, if there's one type not to get it's race skis - too stiff for teaching beginners at low speeds.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy