Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Poster: A snowHead
You're all mad, the lot of you Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I missed it! Can somebody steer me in the right direction?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roy Hockley, Take the motorway to Albertville, the dual carriageway to Moutiers and the RN 90 through Bourg St. Maurice to La Rosière.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
poo
first day back at work - missed it all - two locked threads...
Anyone cached it? Google has crawled but not cached it... Sad
And who is Mr L - Not Freddie P surely?

I don't think you missed much - looks like it was the old theme involving La Ros rolling eyes Mr L is traxvax
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, I had almost been missing him....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, you've got to be quick to catch him these days - it's the second time he's been deleted from this thread, that I know of....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, ah ha - Masque's old nemesis...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dont know who Mr L is but he left Masque in bad shape Madeye-Smiley and it was fun to read/know
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cyber kneecapping...........................if completely factual. Seemed honest enough.

John.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I think that proves the mods don't agree with Masque suggesting the whole thread be deleted and the OP banned.

We can be sure now they are not just ignoring the thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
This whole thread needs pulling.

My post was trimmed, I have no problem with that, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that I have any issues with Nixmap's OP at all on the contrary, I think it was fine, however the subsequent vitriol from one snowhead I did think was totally OTT and needed to be consigned to a cyberbin.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex heney wrote:

I should imagine they're paying fairly close attention Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
jbob wrote:
This whole thread needs pulling.

My post was trimmed, I have no problem with that, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that I have any issues with Nixmap's OP at all on the contrary, I think it was fine, however the subsequent vitriol from one snowhead I did think was totally OTT and needed to be consigned to a cyberbin.

IM VERY HO, both Masque and nixmap contributed positively to the thread. some contributions were perhaps a tad more colourful than others, but it was all good (and interesting) debate.

Only David L rained on the parade, so the mods made a good call.

(for a change) Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You stop reading a thread because it starts to seem a little 'same-old, same-old'... Then you quickly check in and it sounds like the Apocalypse was narrowly averted...

I always miss out on all of the fun... Sad Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
unless he has a quite extraordinary apartment he certainly couldn't rent it out for the cost of employing legions of proper cooks, child minders etc, especially as unless he was providing them with accommodation they'd have to be paid a living wage.

Pam you might be right. I was only doing quick mental arithmatic.
Say I employed a cook, cleaner and baby sitter for 20 an hour for 15 weekends for a whole standard day both days, That adds up to about 15k
Im guessing the apartment would rent for somewhere between 12k and 20k depending on terms. (actually I have no Idea)
THat puts us about even,but it is also overstaffing to the point of insanity.
Theres the weekends we dont turn up becuase we are staying in our friends places, going to a party in town, dont want to ski.
Holidays of course make up for that, in some sense, but in another sense not ... becuse everyone has more time.

Christmas is of course, is just hard work for anyone over 12 years old, but I think thats a global phenomenon, doesnt matter what you are doing or where you are. Dont blame me blame Santa.

I could instead have 8 cooks 8 cleaners and 8 babysittter all working for and hour each instead or variations on the theme.
Clearly that doesnt add up to a legion of 5000 people if you want to get technical but the point is made.

Alternatively I could staff it properly and end up with a tidy profit.

Trouble is, Im not sure exactly how many hours it would take to clean, other than how long it takes me and Mrs M to do the same thing.
Or how much baby sitting there is to do, I guess it depends on the snow / weather and if you wanted to take them skiing instead.
Last year of course, the powder was, simply too deep on many days for them to venture out, and the big snowfalls happend a lot on days we were there.
I would imagine its frustrating to the average snowhead babysitter to sit and watch a 50 year snow storm pass you by. especially so if you cant take turns.

It maybe the same this season, who knows. I hope it is.

And before you even ask.. with the kind of abusive behaviour are you really surprised that applicants choose not to enter the fray and remain private..
You think it me thats stopping them? or more likely the hectoring and likely endlessly pedantic cross examination they would recieve. (I dont mean you Pam, your comments have real merit, I just dont happen to agree with you)
Nix.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Well I think that proves the mods don't agree with Masque suggesting the whole thread be deleted and the OP banned.

Why do you even bother?!
ski holidays
No idea about Swiss law but under English law 'offer, acceptance and consideration' is needed for a legally binding contract and at the moment I am not sure there is any consideration, not even a peppercorn is being passed over as consideration. It would be interesting to see what kind of contractual arrangement this actually constitutes ? Employment for free rent?, lease of property for for free work ?
ski holidays
Even if there were a contract, and it were legally enforceable, who is going to enforce it, and how - and indeed why? Chances are the average snowbum isn't worth suing - his only asset being his skis; snowbum couldn't sue nixmap for anything much. If they don't get on, snowbum will leave job. Easy as!
snow report
rayscoops, tut tut, you know consideration doesnt have to be cash wink I feel like quoting Joan Rivers on the 'cost of a Gucci handbag' but ... better not!
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
No idea about Swiss law but under English law 'offer, acceptance and consideration' is needed for a legally binding contract and at the moment I am not sure there is any consideration,

There is clearly a "consideration" in the form of accommodation.

Almost all contracts will have the "consideration" in one direction being non-monetary. Some have that in both directions, which would be the case here.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Some have that in both directions, which would be the case here.

So I wonder what happens with things like home-exchange.com, I mean if you swap chalets for a month and nominally you come out better off, once you reduce everything to numbers. You think theres a tax liability? I mean theoretically theres an exchange of 'considerations' and someone may be nominally better off as a result, and therefore getting benefit.... or do you think the value if the exchange is deemed to be equal or of zero worth.

Acutally I was thinking about, doing a chalet swap on here, just for some variety during the season.
Sounds like fun.

Nix.
ski holidays
nixmap, barter makes a lot of sense when taxes are high.
ski holidays
laundryman, but will the Swiss Feds barter with nixmap for the payment of his fine for employing illegals wink
ski holidays
Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Cool Cool
snow report
Barter transactions are definitely taxable on the recipient.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM33325.htm

laundryman's observation makes it quite clear why.

Quote:
thinking of doing a chalet swap

Would you be taking your staff with you, or would the staff have to suffer some less perfect children than your own? Smile
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Would you be taking your staff with you

I dont know, Its only an idea, youd have to look at it on a case by case basis, and I certainly wouldnt do it without asking them first, as they are not exactly 'Staff' in the first place.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Would you be taking your staff with you?

Is nixmap a wizard as well now?
snow report
Quote:

So I wonder what happens with things like home-exchange.com

well that's a completely different thing, isn't it? It's no kind of working relationship. You live in my house for a while, I live in yours. But if you come and live in mine and have to be there when I ask, prepare my meals as requested, keep my house clean, tidy away after supper and baby sit when I pop down the pub for a drink, then you're an employee. The dividing line between someone acting as an employee and someone who is a "self employed contractor" is not easily defined, and depends on a range of tests - the answer to which has caught out more than one employer who thought he could dispense with the hassle of having employees. Not to mention the employees who thought they'd be better off dispensing with the tedium of having their pay taxed before they got it.

But that's in the UK. No idea about Switzerland.

nixmap, if your staff apartment would rent for £20K for the season, in a small resort, then it must be pretty ritzy. I think my son rented one in the middle of Val D'Isere for a season for £5k. It was very small, but two of them shared it and took in lodgers when they were feeling hard up. Rents in the low season (the bulk of the year in most resorts) are peanuts.

I think your calculations on staff costs are optimistic.

People doing end of let cleaning in apartments like ours, on a commercial basis, charge around 50 euros, which doesn't include any laundry or making up any beds. That's a 40 sq metre apartment. I think you would find any commercial agency would consider it a full day's workfor one person to pick up the fresh laundry, completely clean a whole chalet, strip the beds, put fresh linen on, and take the dirty stuff to the laundry. You'd also need to pay the laundry bill itself, of course.

It might take you or your wife only an hour to cook the supper, but you won't find anyone willing to come and be paid for one hour (about £12 an hour, it would be in UK) to cook your dinner. Any more than you could pay a cleaner to just come in for an hour.

I reckon that to have someone come in and do a thorough clean and change beds once a week, and have a cook for a few days a week would cost not much less than 300 a week. Maybe more if you used an agency. And it would leave you with a lot of time with no help there at all. Then you'd need to add baby sitting/baby minding costs on top.

Two people working from 5 pm - 11 pm Friday, 0730 - 2130 Saturday and Sunday and a couple of hours tidying up Monday morning have, at the less than handsome wage of £6 an hour, earned over £430

That should be more than enough labour to pay their rent before they even start working 7 day weeks in the school holidays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alex, Argenterre, but nothing is physically changing hands ? My reference to the peppercorn rent was deliberate in that consideration in that case was a 'peppercorn', I.e. Something physical of value was passed from one party to the other, in this case a service is being provided but no money or ownership of an item, even as small as a peppercorn is passing from one person to another. There is obviously an agreement of sorts, but whether it is specifically a 'contract' is unclear to me

But what do I know ....
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Alex, Argenterre, but nothing is physically changing hands ? My reference to the peppercorn rent was deliberate in that consideration in that case was a 'peppercorn', I.e. Something physical of value was passed from one party to the other, in this case a service is being provided but no money or ownership of an item, even as small as a peppercorn is passing from one person to another. There is obviously an agreement of sorts, but whether it is specifically a 'contract' is unclear to me

But what do I know ....

There is no need at all for anything physical to change hands.

You can contract for all sorts of services, where one party carries out a service for the other, with no physical element.

Or where the service carried out is physical (such as leaning) but still where nothing changes hands.

"Consideration" just means something which is valued by one or the other party.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Or where the service carried out is physical (such as leaning) but still where nothing changes hands.

Leaning? Confused the mind boggles. I mean I could imagine (vaguely) a physical service that might include squatting, kneeling or bending over, but leaning? Shocked

Im not surprised that nothing changes hands. Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:
well that's a completely different thing, isn't it?
I agree with you, but according to alex' post not.
Quote:
There is clearly a "consideration" in the form of accommodation. Almost all contracts will have the "consideration" in one direction being non-monetary. Some have that in both directions, which would be the case here.
Youll have to ask him.
pam w wrote:
if your staff apartment would rent for £20K for the season, in a small resort, then it must be pretty ritzy

£? no CHF and depends whether you do long term lets or weeklies for tourists or locals, but I am guessing, I know what my friends pay to stay in smaller apartments in flims and lenzerheide and im not a million miles out, for an slope location especially if the full facilites were available on weekdays. A lot of hassle though.
pam w wrote:

It might take you or your wife only an hour to cook the supper, but you won't find anyone willing to come and be paid for one hour (about £12 an hour, it would be in UK) to cook your dinner. Any more than you could pay a cleaner to just come in for an hour.
true but thats largely down to travelling and convenience which doesnt apply in my case. besides the one hour example was for 8 chefs! Besides Mrs M mostly doesnt cook, I do, as I used to work in a restaurant, and it rarely takes more than 40 minutes, unless its a dinner party for more than six people.
Quote:
I reckon that to have someone come in and do a thorough clean and change beds once a week,
goodness youd change sheets after sleeping in them for 2 days.. even the swiss arent that fastidious.
Quote:
have a cook for a few days a week would cost not much less than 300 a week.
Give me a break, I could go to a restaurant for that.

pam w wrote:
Two people working from 5 pm - 11 pm Friday.
, err doing what exactly?

pam w wrote:
0730 - 2130 Saturday and Sunday..
....right um saluting every member of the family as the come in and out? I must have given you a very grim view of my house hold. More like one stays home for the morning tidying up, while the other does the ski skool run on a door to door bus or skis, then ski's for about 2 hours then does the run back with kids either on skis or on the bus..
Unless its a real bluebird day, probably at least one of us has had enough by late lunch time .
In which case child minding is no longer an issue. and both are free to ski or help prepare supper. which I guess might take another hour each or so if they really want to make a meal of it.

Sunday theres a very light or no supper as we like to get back to ZH for a schoolday bedtime. Mostly we are gone by six so I guess theres plenty of time to get ready for the next weekend, assuming we havent trashed our own place.

You see Pam, heres what I dont get, If it really took a couple, 6 + 11 + 11 + 2 hours EACH every weekend to look after a weekend home thats not much of a weekend is it? I certainly dont do anything like that amount of work, when we are there alone, and nor does Mrs M.
Now, in other posts Im cited examples where chalet hosts for commercial TO's are able to ski everyday despite having to look after 8-14 holiday makers, who wont lift a finger when things get a bit hectic.
Whats more they dont earn 430 a week on average either.

Im unclear how can you reconcile that with the estimates you give above ?
latest report
nixmap wrote:
pam w wrote:
well that's a completely different thing, isn't it?
I agree with you, but according to alex' post not.

Not true.

It is indeed a completely different thing.

Which doesn't mean there is no contractual relationship, even then.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
"Consideration" just means something which is valued by one or the other party.

Actually Treitel defines consideration (in the context of Patterson J in T v T) as " (i) the thing ... is of some value ... and (ii) it moves ... (from the plantiff in the specific case)

alex_heney, you may be right in general but I do not think it is quite so clear cut, this arrangement may be a 'conditional promise' - Nixmap offers to provide free accom on the condition that certain ill-defined works are done, or even the promise to do certain works for the condition of free accom, or even and 'agreement in principle only' - free accom if you do certain works to be defined as the season passes by.

Thomas v Thomas adds a related twist to it all too as referenced above.!

Further nixmap seems to be offering accom for some kind of undefined consideration, so accepting an offer whereby the consideration is unclear or not defined also adds a twist, what actually is the consideration ? every weekend, some weekends, one family, two families? it is all so woolly ! for example an offer is not actually classed as being accepted whereby the consideration is for a variable price, or in this case, a variable/undefined work load. The offer does not seem to have been made (or will be made) on specific terms, which is a fundamental requirement for a contract,

a legally binding agreement - certainly, but an enforceable 'contract' ? may be not due to the lack of certainty/vagueness of the offer/acceptance process, especially as the actions of the acceptance are also the consideration, hence my doubt about the validity of the consideration in this.

It is a contractual mess imv Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

It is a contractual mess imv
A bit difficult to say, imv, when not a single person indulging in this speculation has seen the documentation. Laughing
snow report
Oh god, it's all gone legal again...

There's only one way to settle this. Nixmap, I'll have to come out and visit...then I can report back on how luxurious your pad is, how clean it is (will pack my white gloves!), what the food's like, and whether you keep your 'helper' chained up or not.

I can do last week in Feb or first week in March - which would suit you least well Madeye-Smiley
snow report
ChrisWo,
Quote:

Oh god, it's all gone legal again...
Hmm, sort of...
snow report
What about a gentlemen's agreement.
snow conditions
Hurtle, sorry, maybe there should've been a "pseudo-" in there!
snow conditions
ChrisWo, spot on! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy