Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Poster: A snowHead
Well the snows finally melted, and everyones gone home. Now we have all summer to decide plans for ski season 2010.

If you like the idea of living in a chalet and skiing all season, but dont like the idea of working a six days a week, you might find this offer interesting.

We are a british family of 4 living in switzerland, we have a private chalet that we use on the weekends and swiss school holidays.

We would like to find a chalet helper/ chalet couple to look after it (and us) for the winter season, not just as house keepers but people who love to ski as well.

What that means is you work on weekends then get to ski or do your own thing for the other 5 days of the week of the week.

Typically we would arrive most weekends on a friday night, and leave Sunday evening. We would expect you to do regular household chores, cooking, cleaning, occasional child minding (ages 5 and 8 ) , ski teaching, and other helpful activities ensuring a stress free weekend. In return you get a whole week to do what you like. (Ski).

Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster.

The chalet is in a well known resort in central Switzerland. Local Skiing (70 km sq) is literaly 50 yards from your door. Other famous ski areas such as Engleberg, Wengen, Grindlewald, Murren , Gstaad, Andermatt,Adelboden are within easy reach.

Accomodation is inside the chalet in a fully segregated 2.5 room appartment.
and at your disposal. During the week of course you can use the full facilities of the chalet when it is empty.

We would like to hear from genuine applicants, preferably a couple, naturally you should be capable of doing all tasks above without difficulty, or attitude.

What you do in your own time is up to you of course,

Last year I got a lot of stick in this forum for the 2009 season post(
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43976
), and some said that it was posted too late for any serious applicants.

Well this time, its probably too early. but here goes. I hope this time you play nice..

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-06-09 14:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So how much time DID last year's people spend (1) waiting on you hand and foot (2) babysitting rather than skiing?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome back - I 'm sure all of those that gave you stick would be interested in knowing how last year's arrangements worked out - are you posting it on TGR for the international pimps and coke barons to reply again? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps you could get last year's people to post here and give you a reference. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap, I was only thinking/asking about you and your proposition, a couple of weeks ago. As you are back on here, perhaps it went well? Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nixmap, If you throw in two season passes me and my good lady would be very happy to do it Very Happy .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd love to hear from last year's incumbent, I found the whole thing fascinating last year. Very Happy

As Anniepen says, presumably it worked out pretty well if you're after the same arrangement again, nixmap?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmmmm..... I wonder how much it would cost to subcontract a couple of cute Polish housemaids to share the apartment with? . . . I sense a cunning plan Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last wrote:
So how much time DID last year's people spend (1) waiting on you hand and foot (2) babysitting rather than skiing?

1) Basically as described, February sportsferien was a bit frantic, the chalet was full for 2 weeks solid.
and there was so much snow (2 falls of over a meter), that the kids couldnt really ski every day.
I guess that was pretty frustrating to what that amont of snow come down only to watch others take advantage.
But like it or not that was always part of the deal.

Christmas, was equally frantic but it always is, wherever you are.

I think the only real annoyance was having to clear the path to the chalet, when there was so much snow. Smile

Chopping kindling was not a favourite task either.
Of course it was much better after being given private lessons on how to handle my chopper.

I kind of got the feeling that by the end of the season, cabin fever began to set in, which wasnt entirely unexpected, and exactly why we would really recommend a couple.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-06-09 14:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NomadicBoo wrote:
nixmap, If you throw in two season passes me and my good lady would be very happy to do it Very Happy .

If you you are really interested, and exactly the right applicants (michelin guide chef, level 3 ski instructors, qualified teacher, profesional massuese/fitness/wellness instructor and maintenance handyman)

We might meet you half way Toofy Grin

Seriously send me a private message with a little more info, and we can talk about it.

Nix.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nixmap, welcome back. I liked last years thread, hope you get sorted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

by the end of the season, cabin fever began to set in

Cabin fever? I thought this was a SKIING post!? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap, It is cool you worked it all out last year. Was it someone that saw it on snowHeads? If so I would like some commission Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Followed last year's thread and looking forward to seeing the same comments all over again! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a very good deal - after all, you'd expect to pay in some way.
latest report
nixmap, Good luck.

I am surprised by all the negative comments.
snow report
Oh... if only snowHead
latest report
Latchigo, to understand the reason behind the negative comments I think you'd need to have followed last year's thread, and in particular the difficulty in persuading nixmap that the deal he was offering was definitely NOT "ski all week" (a proposition proven by his report above, and the fact that it appears that for around 4 weeks of the season, at least, it was a pretty full time job).

A positive reference from the previous employee(s) would be the best way of getting hold of the right kind of person for next season.

A lot of chalets were pretty empty last season - because of the recession. My son had a (very well) paid position and a free 3V lift pass and had oodles of time to ski; in fact he looked forward to the times when the owners were in residence, first because he liked them, but second because cooking great food for them gave him a challenge.
snow conditions
..and so it begins again. Well, it's a long time until November, and we've got to talk about something Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
Latchigo, to understand the reason behind the negative comments I think you'd need to have followed last year's thread, and in particular the difficulty in persuading nixmap that the deal he was offering was definitely NOT "ski all week"

Well this year everyone seems to be positive with one single exception Sad

I don't know when or what I said to attract the curse of the chalet witch, but I guess Im saddled with it.
Theres just no pleasing some people.

Anyway good to hear from you all (including Pam W) , I had no idea the thread would be remembered so well.

Any way a picture is worth a thousand words, heres a pretty one to put you all in the mood.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/17269

Nix.
Smile
snow report
Entertaining thread, that last one! I think it could be a good deal for the right person, e.g. child-friendly remote worker. Nixmap, I can think of some people who might be interested if the chalet has wifi. Shall I point them here to contact you?
ski holidays
Sure be my guest, thats what the thread is for , other than primarily so pam can bait me.
ski holidays
But does it have le weefee? or is it das wifi for you? They would need it for work.
latest report
nixmap,
I think the use of the phrases "chalet witch" and "pam can bait me" are a tad inflammatory. The points made by her are factual and realistic. You have given no references for next season's aspiring chalet hosts to check and it is very clear that your Friday to Sunday advertisement involved substantially greater commitments than those on which you based your offer. A pretty photo of a standard alpine chalet doesn't absolve you of patronising comments. You owe pam w, an apology and prospective employees a little more small print.
Aneira
ski holidays
Aneira, in fairness both first time round and this time nix stated that school holidays and having house guests may involve more than just the weekends.
snow report
Oh sorry I didnt see that,
I use a mobile USB stick, costs me about 50 chf a month, for about 1500kbps?
I think its limited for 2.5gb a month. certainly fast enough for me.

I dont use a fixed line phone there, doesnt seem much point at the moment. Its wired obviously, but i think ASDL is out of reach or some such techno babble so all in all USB mobile works out better all round.

Not fussed making this available on a casual basis within reason, when im not around,

Not sure this is enough for remote working and its kinda not casual, but there are lots of differnt packages which i guess somone with a remote work deal can choose from.
snow conditions
Quote:

it was much better after being given private lessons on how to handle my chopper

Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it was much better after being given private lessons on how to handle my chopper

Laughing

It's all in the wrist action. Chopping wood that is.

John.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCjohnny, who said anything about anyone having wood?
latest report
arv wrote:

Having wood, in one form or another, is definitely a pre-requisite for chopping to take place................

John.
snow report
arv wrote:

Kindling is small pieces of wood. The main chalet heating is wood fired kacheloffen.

Unfortunatly my chopper was to large for the task in hand. Cool

Nix.
So I had to get a new one from the store.
snow report
Aneira wrote:
nixmap,
are a tad inflammatory.
Aneira

I think you best have a look at the thread history, before you leap to anyones defences.
Genuine applicants, can get as specific as they like when the make a serious application,
This is after just a post after all, not an job advert.

Lively debate, or I quote "sarky comments" from "REWs" seem to be par for the course and part of the design.

Thats ok, as its wholly more entertaining than a 2 x 4 cm advert in the times.
Further to that, its considerably more informative.

You should have seen the sister thread on TGR last year. !!!

Nix.
snow conditions
This sounds very good..and the chalet looks a picture. I also don't get the negativity here...

Obviously there are always downsides to these types of things as nobody ideally wants to work in a ski resort...but we met a guy who did this sort of thing for a client in Verbier and it sounded as good a way to make your way in a ski resort for a season as it gets...
Assuming that you need to do some sort of work ...that is..

Sounds great, IMV..

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 5-06-09 7:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yeah I didn't get the negative posts last year, and probably the ones that will come this year.
So nixmap tried to present a positive outlook on the deal offered....Doesn't anyone do that?

Anyone with half a brain will work out the possible downsides when they speak to the OP... His initial post isn't a contract, it's an advert to catch someone's attention.

Some people do get on their high horses easily... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Kruisler, here here (or is that hear hear? - any way you get the message).
ski holidays
You are working for your accommodation. Whether that equates to around £10-12 an hour (as someone worked out last year, I think) , or £5-6 an hour, depends on how many hours you actually end up working. Seems a reasonable question to ask, and to answer. The job seems to have required, last season, several weeks of fairly non-stop work (probably a good bit more than an 8 hour day). To continue to suggest that the incumbent would be able to ski 5 days a week is disingenous, to put it no more strongly. That would be the absolute maximum and during a good few weeks you might not be able to ski much, at all. And you would need significant private means - to pay for your ski pass, gear, drinks, food, etc. for the whole season. So you couldn't be a hard up student, that's for sure.

I certainly don't require any apology, but neither do I accept that to try to tease out just exactly how much work is involved here is nit-picking or "getting at" anybody. Nor are the posts suggesting that last year's person might be able to provide a "reference" negative or unreasonable.
snow conditions
pam w, So basically you don't want the gig, right? And you are going to do your very best to seed enough seeds of doubt that no-one else wants it either. I bet you're a riot at parties wink
ski holidays
not seeds of doubt, , Guvnor, but perfectly reasonable questions. Just because I don't plan to go to La Rosiere next season won't stop me giving my views about it to anyone who is enquiring about it, either. Nobody's forcing you to read any of it. What on earth would be the point of this thread (or most others) if people weren't giving their views? The OP is not objecting - he says he's enjoying the discussion and it keeps the thread alive. Why so sensitive?
snow report
pam w,
Are you some sort of inspector for a government department related to labour laws and practices...or some watchdog of some sort?

At worst the OP is guilty of embellishing the position a little bit.. so bl00dy what! His was an informal post about some deal he offers, not some professional advert for paid work. You seem to be assuming people are idiots and don't know what is what. People interested can call him and figure out by themselves what it's all about.

Why do other people, ones that are clearly not interested in the deal, have to denigrate what's on offer without being themselves fully aware of all that is entailled.

The whole "reference/last year's person" point that you and Aneira are making is a ridiculous one.... even in the professional world, I have yet to meet one single prospective employer providing applicants with list and contact information (or even just a statement) of the advertised position previous incumbent (if that person has left)..that is unless the applicant actually asked for it... So why on earth should nixmap do this here????

None of the negative comments have had any sort of usefulness..
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Just because I don't plan to go to La Rosiere next season won't stop me giving my views about it to anyone who is enquiring about it, either. Nobody's forcing you to read any of it. What on earth would be the point of this thread (or most others) if people weren't giving their views?

rolling eyes
The good age old argument:it's on an internet forum so it requires an opinion to be expressed...

No it doesn't..

The OP never asked for comments on the deal offered, or his lifestyle...He asked people interested by said deal to make contact...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy