Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Poster: A snowHead
Masque,
Quote:

proper debate

In my book, that includes not calling people names. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
James the Last wrote:
......I cannot speak for the Swiss. However, the UK tax authorities do not see accommodation where the employee is required to live on site (otherwise than when the employee is a Director of the employing Company) as a benefit in kind. Employees earning less than £9,600 pa are not taxed on their benefits. If you're going to rant at Nixmap, at least get some fact behind your rant.

A manager of licensed premises living rent free as part of his job would not be seen as having a benefit in kind, according to advice I took from an accountant a little while back. But then, the primary purpose of the manager's job was not to have free accommodation (specific case and circumstances, not saying this would apply generally). I am not so sure how the HMRC would see a barter scam, where the main aim for one of the parties was to receive free accommodation. Do you know?

Addressing your point, for a housekeeper (which is what OP seeks) accommodation would be for the better performance of tasks, so would be exempt in the UK.

(Provided the recipient is not a Director (or shadow director) of the Company providing accommodation (nor in a situation where he would treated as though he would be director of a company, despite not being a director, and there being no company).)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/senew/se11346.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe it's best to remind ourselves what nixmap posted

nixmap wrote:
....We would like to find a chalet helper/ chalet couple to look after it (and us) for the winter season, not just as house keepers.......

..you work on weekends.....

..... We would expect you to do regular household chores, cooking, cleaning, occasional child minding (ages 5 and 8 ) , ski teaching, and other helpful activities.....

Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster.

So rather more than a house keeper. Child minder also (the mind boggles) and ski teacher Shocked

James the Last, read your own link The HMRC rules apply to employees, ie those in paid work, and for the better performance of the duties of that paid work. But nixmap is not paying wages - so the accommodation itself becomes payment in an effort to evade taxation - and, probably, the laws concerning child minding and ski instruction. So the accommodation effectively becomes a wage in itself, effectively a benefit in kind. On the face of it, this still looks like a criminal deal.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-08-09 14:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, It's the balance; Do I elicit a response from the OP, or draw attention to the thread? . . . It's brought you and others here to consider the issues wink Profanity has its place in our lexicon, the hard part is trying to learn where that is Embarassed

alex_heney, it didn't take a lot of research to discover Swiss attitudes and requirements towards childcare; Very Shocked expensive and closely regulated. nixmap's OP was very specific in declaring that childcare was part of the deal . . . but he neglected to include a requirement from the applicant to have suitable x-border qualifications. That is an intent to deceive . . . . and as far as I've been able to ascertain is a criminal act. Though not an absolute as there's a small grey envelope within nixmap's residential status in Switzerland.

My ranting on this OP is not directed to nixmap's transgressions of Swiss or UK laws and regulations but to the demonstrable abuse of this community. People are always going to try to 'Beat he System', the question is; Should that be tolerated here?

The thing challenging nixmap's probity is his behaviour here. I'm sure we would welcome the opportunity to make an informed decision about our qualifications to service nixmap's recognizably, rigorous, requirements (sic). He's welcome to join the debate and fill in the glaring holes in his published motivation. If he does, I'll commit to avoiding the expletives and we can move his advert into position where we may make an informed choice to apply or not . . . I look forward to his future contributions.

The alternative would be to inform the authorities. One that should be considered.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

rigorous, requirements

they're not rigorous at all, that's the problem. They're uncommonly vague though demonstrably not requirements which would leave the incumbent free to ski for 5 days a week through the season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, reading between the lines wink I'm sure they are "recognisably" rigorous, requirements . . . you only have too look at his description of the chef's abilities. It's hardly likely that you're not going to need to meet the same for the rest of the duties . . . He's a proper fusspot . . . someone in the financial sector wink

When you wander through the interweb Mr M turns up all over the winter ski and summer trekking sites, here's one of his classics:
Quote:
We are a British family of 4 living in Switzerland, we have a private traditional chalet in the heart of the alps, that we use on the weekends and swiss school holidays.

We would like to find some like minded people (ideally a couple) to help us look after it (and us) for the summer, not just as house keepers but people who love the mountains as well. Naturally during the week, theres not much to do apart from enjoy the environment.

If you are interested in finding out more send me a message or reply in the forum. Im happy to answer questions that you might have.

This is not a job offer or a commercial venture. (emphasis mine)

Yeah, right rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

rigorous, requirements

they're not rigorous at all, that's the problem. They're uncommonly vague though demonstrably not requirements which would leave the incumbent free to ski for 5 days a week through the season.

They are not rigorous as honestly we dont know which weekends we will be there or not. As last season was exceptional, it was more than less. I have no idea what this season will bring. A more detailed discussion, is of course available to applicants.

As far as demonstrable workload pam W, I still dont get it. Mrs M and I between us without help, can and do perform all of these tasks, we dont have more than 2 days in which to do it, further more we both still manage to get out skiing on most days. The difference being is that we dont then get 5 days off during the week for R & R.

There has never been any indication that we are expecting more that we would normally do for ourselves anyway.

There is a huge difference between living with and helping out the same family on weekends and holidays, and a job working in a commercial chalet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
expensive and closely regulated.

So when I go to the gemieinde and get the list of 'approved' baby sitters, ranging from 10 chf to 20chf an hour, depending on mostly on whether they are 14 or 18. Thats what you call expensive, and closely regulated is it?

If Mrs M decides that our neighbours 14 year old can look after our kids, while we go and play some tennis or go out for dinner, in return for some pocket money, thats a criminal act is it?

Well guilty as charged I guess.
Laughing

On second thoughts maybe its worth a try, its at least as good a ploy as Ive ever had, to get her to wear handcuffs anyhow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, Utter nonsense! But good for a laugh anyway. Completely irrelevant of course, as this isn't happening in the UK, but if it were, you'd be miles off.

Have you ever heard of an au pair? Very similar arrangements.

Housekeeper/Nanny/gardener/snow clearer, whatever. For the better performance of duties, and indeed customary.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:

It's the balance; Do I elicit a response from the OP, or draw attention to the thread? . . . It's brought you and others here to consider the issues

I take the point, and in a way it's worked (in that this thread now reflects your concerns). However, one might argue that you could have had the same effect without resorting to the name-calling. Possibly the force of the argument attracts more people to read your message, but it also distracts significantly from the message...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nixmap wrote:

So when I go to the gemieinde and get the list of 'approved' baby sitters, ranging from 10 chf to 20chf an hour, depending on mostly on whether they are 14 or 18. Thats what you call expensive, and closely regulated is it?

I'd guess there was a difference between occasional 'baby-sitting' and regular (and effectively contracted) child care. Don't know what the law (swiss or UK) has to say on the matter, but I suspect the Gemeinde/Polizei would be minded to overlook the former but much less so the latter.

And I don't know what your local ski school would have to say about you advertising for a part-time "ski teacher"

As for all the things you're looking for an applicant to do, it's difficult to tell exactly how much effort is involved and whether the arrangement is formal or not. Some people will read your ad and imagine a quick once-over with a hoover every friday and a bit of cooking, combined with occasional baby-sitting and skiing with the kids. Others will see it as being a part-time chalet host, nanny and instructor every weekend and for several weeks of the year. Given that you have a vested interest in making the job seem attractive, I'm not sure we can trust your opinion of the workload (though I guess you don't want to over-sell it, as then the lucky winner would just leave when it all gets too much).

Really the easiest way to solve this particular argument would be to get last year's 'helper' to report back... Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 6-08-09 15:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nixmap, I can't be bothered to skip breakfast for this but just a few notes until I have more time:

1: have we got past the point in recognising that this a JOB(S)?
2: you specifically advertised for childminding services . . . not for a babysitter . . . which is both professionally regulated and expensive in Switzerland . . . so now you're changing the goalposts?
3: in your other ads throughout the webisphere you claim only 4-5 days free and since your shack is fairly large and plush (or is that an assumption too far?) I'll make a comment based on experience of caring for a large property, it will take a long day to clean and prep it properly for the weekend. Add to that the shopping requirements and food prep. That Friday's going to be a bitch and I doubt that Monday morning will be clear as your serfs tidy up after your departure.
4: have you acquired the prior authority required by the Swiss authorities and your Canton to employ a non-Swiss national housekeeper (required for temporary staff too)?
5: and have you the mandatory insurances already?
6: of course you will be adding some additional benefits for your indentured staff to compensate for the mandatory increased work value for their working on Sundays and holidays?

7: then there's the costs to your applicants:

Transportation to and from
Season's ski insurance
Season's lift pass (though on another forum you've said that is negotiable)
Liability insurance (just in case you're even cheaper than even I believe you are) And can they even get liability insurance if they're working below the radar? . . . that also is (as far as my deplorable kermit can determine) a criminal offence on their part in Switzerland.

That's enough to be going on with apart from the observation that anyone who creates such a skilled pleonastic yet vacuous advert and followup posts is hardly likely to accept lax standards in other parts of his or her life.

You're just cheap cheatin' scum nixmap and I hope your applicants are reading this and come armed with questions rather than just desires.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, you are stepping over the line:

Calling someone a "chap cheatin' scum"?

For feks sake....going to far.

Take a deep breath....and let it lie. Enough already.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, If I recall I've labelled nixmap as

Clever
Venal
Predatory
c**t
sociopath
disingenuous
tw@t
a grinning pimp

There''s so much more wink and "cheap cheatin' scum" is hardly the least Shocked

It's not that nixmap is trying to screw the Swiss authorities . . . it's that he's here trying to screw us Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleeps 8-10 depending how freindly you are. plush? Um, no, we are still working on that.

I'll make a comment based on experience of caring for a large property, it will take a long day to clean and prep it properly for the weekend. Add to that the shopping requirements and food prep. That Friday's going to be a bitch and I doubt that Monday morning will be clear as your serfs tidy up after your departure.

Well we manage it, and have a fairly good time skiing as well, of course our guest are also our friends so they are generally helpful (some more than others), often we help each other out with cooking, washing up, and child minding. I hope we dont get arrested for that!

Sometimes they ask me to teach their kids how to ski, which seems a better deal than being stuck in the chalet on a nice day, so I take a 'Ski Lesson'. Im not a qualified ski instructor, but like many of you, I've been doing it since childhood, so everybody seems to get something out of it and the ski school dont seem to think this is unusual.

Incidentally we do all this without being there all Friday or Monday.

Quote:
You're just cheap cheatin' scum and I hope your applicants are reading this and come armed with questions rather than just desires.

Most of them do. Some just read the applicants FAQ. In anycase, they seem pretty smart.
snow report
James the Last wrote:
achilles, Utter nonsense! But good for a laugh anyway. Completely irrelevant of course, as this isn't happening in the UK, but if it were, you'd be miles off.

Have you ever heard of an au pair? Very similar arrangements.

Housekeeper/Nanny/gardener/snow clearer, whatever. For the better performance of duties, and indeed customary.

Puzzled

Can't see what on earth this has to do with au pairs. They are a very specific case. Cribbing form Wikipedia, I see that in Switzerland, they a female (Swiss don't have to do PC) and under 30. They also have to stay for a minimum of one year and a maximum of 18 months, and in Zurich and Geneva they have to attend language classes in some Cantons and the employers have to cough up fpr some of the classes/. They are also usually paid a monthly salary .of between ChF 600 -750 Swiss francs after all compulsory deductions for tax and health insurance have been made.

So the au pairs have to be employed, paid a reasonable salary and pay local taxes. Under those circumstances, I can see that au pair accommodation is requirement of already taxed employment, and so not liable to further taxation. Same applies for housekeepers, nannies or gardeners who require their accommodation for paid employment.

Has zilch to do with nixmap's case, where the accommodation itself is the payment.
snow report
nixmap, Whatever you achieve in looking after your shed is relevant to the tasks required from your indentured . . . and hardly likely to be commercially sensitive or needing to be hidden from your applicants. Put it in the ad.

Friends? . . . that would be your applicants?: . . . OFFS! . . . in a narrow band of circumstance the applicant may well be of your social reference. But why would you expect your friends to scrub the skidmarks off your bowl?

Equivocation? Ur Pwnd rolling eyes

Do Au pairs receive a stipend in addition to their living expenses?
ski holidays
I have in my time shopped, cooked, done the washing, child minding, cleaning, etc etc for a family, or even a family plus visitors, for long periods of time - as have most women. It's very hard work, and just has to be fitted into the time available. Which means you do several things at a time, you cut heaps of corners, you don't always produce terribly good meals and you turn a blind eye to the mess. And the people you are catering/cleaning for have to put up with you dashing around doing it under their feet. And you often ask them - nicely of course - to peel some potatos, hoover the floor, take a sponge round the bathroom and wash up. You put off the "deep cleaning" jobs till after the weekend. That's family life. But if we try to get anyone else - an outside paid anyone else - to do the job for us, then it's a whole different ball game. If you pay child-minders, they don't cook. If you pay a cleaner, they don't look after the kids, or cook. Even a full-time housekeeper wouldn't (like yer average mother looking after family and visitors) expect to work a 14 - 15 hour day. Two effective people could get it all done nicely, and without help, but they'd have had to spend some time preparing - including shopping, which can take some hours if you're in a slightly remote spot in the Alps in Winter - and clearing up on a Monday. And that's when the family is just there weekends. In school holidays they will be there 24/7 for an unspecified length of time.

Quote:

why would you expect your friends to scrub the skidmarks off your bowl?

Masque, I'd expect my friends to scrub their own skidmarks off the bowl, that's for sure. I'm sure nixmap does his, too. wink
snow report
Masque wrote:
shed

you are just all over the place on this, Im beginning to think you will just say anything antagonistic. Maybe you should just relax about it. Im not sure you are doing yourself any favours, and Im not sure that other snowheads are in need of your 'assistance'.

Masque wrote:
Put it in the ad

If I put everything in the original post, you'd all have nothing to moan about all summer. However could I rely on you to bump the thread. Happy

Masque wrote:
Friends? . . . that would be your applicants?: . . . OFFS! . . . in a narrow band of circumstance the applicant may well be of your social reference.

You know thats most revealing, that you think that friends can only be of the same social reference. Most certainly I would be expecting to become close friends with a couple who shared a great deal of time with us.
You seem to be looking at this from a disgruntled 'serf' in a permanent state of challenge with his feudal lord. Honestly it sounds like a monty python sktech.

Nixmap:
Anyone want a cheap ski season?
Masque:
Help! help! Im being repressed.

Masque wrote:
But why would you expect your friends to scrub the skidmarks off your bowl?

You leave that for others? That really is quite foul.
I dont recall, but however much you said you paid your partner to live with you - I dont think its enough.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-08-09 19:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have in my time shopped, cooked, done the washing, child minding, cleaning, etc etc for a family, or even a family plus visitors, for long periods of time - as have most women. It's very hard work, and just has to be fitted into the time available. Which means you do several things at a time, you cut heaps of corners, you don't always produce terribly good meals and you turn a blind eye to the mess. And the people you are catering/cleaning for have to put up with you dashing around doing it under their feet. And you often ask them - nicely of course - to peel some potatos, hoover the floor, take a sponge round the bathroom and wash up. You put off the "deep cleaning" jobs till after the weekend. That's family life. But if we try to get anyone else - an outside paid anyone else - to do the job for us, then it's a whole different ball game. If you pay child-minders, they don't cook. If you pay a cleaner, they don't look after the kids, or cook. Even a full-time housekeeper wouldn't (like yer average mother looking after family and visitors) expect to work a 14 - 15 hour day. Two effective people could get it all done nicely, and without help, including some child-minding, but they'd have had to spend some time preparing - including shopping, which can take some hours if you're in a slightly remote spot in the Alps in Winter - and clearing up on a Monday. And that's when the family is just there weekends. In school holidays they will be there 24/7 for an unspecified length of time. For one person it would be a slog, frankly, needing more time in the week to do some advance cooking etc

Quote:

why would you expect your friends to scrub the skidmarks off your bowl?

Masque, I'd expect my friends to scrub their own skidmarks off the bowl, that's for sure. I'm sure nixmap does his, too. wink In 7 seasons of looking after people in our place in France I don't think I have ever had to clean any one else's skidmarks. What sort of company do you keep? On the other hand, I have spent many hours shopping and lugging stuff, sometimes having to get chains on and off twice in the process. Cleaning bathrooms takes no time. It's not clear when nixmap expects his chaps to do the shopping - or maybe the family plan and shop for all the meals on their way to the chalet on a Friday?

And yes, au pairs get paid and often have use of a car, etc etc. And I think they are not supposed to work for more than 4 hours a day.
latest report
Masque wrote:
.....Do Au pairs receive a stipend in addition to their living expenses?

Yes. See my post above.
snow conditions
9 pages and this carp is still going on Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
CEM, indeed - and it a great joy to return from an internet free 12 days and find it still going...

however Masque, grumpy old git that he (like me) is - makes some good points wrapped up in exuberant rhetoric. This really sounds like a job, and if I were involved in any ski-teaching or childcare arrangements on anything more than an infrequent and ad hoc basis, I would want to make sure my liability insurance and relationships with local authorities were appropriate.

However "god made sheep to be shawn" - and just as US ski resorts are full of ski heroes with no medical cover - there will be some muppet out there who will take this rather iffy-sounding job. But full marks to Nixmap for the chutzpah and Masque for the responses which make this thread "snowHeads gold". If it all goes Pete Tong there is now an audit trail on the internet.
latest report
pam w wrote:
often have use of a car, etc etc.

You might be surprised that many had their own car, and were more worried about the parking situation, The need for chains , accessibility to other resorts, etc etc.

Its a different kind of person applying, not really what youd expect from the 'Au pair' demographic.
snow report
Of course it is not the "Au pair" demographic. You are looking for a ski bum! Nothing wrong with being a ski bum, I would love to do it if I could park the business!
snow report
nixmap, we're approaching 10 pages and all you can do is take faux offence at my calling your shack a 'shed' and playing semantics with 'friend' rolling eyes

If that's all you can offer after all the opportunities to be forthright about what you're offering, then it's time for me to ask that you be barred from this site. I will lay out the basis for this in a later post.

Time to put away the toys Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Masque is behaving like a spoilt petulant brat, and has overstepped the marks of what is acceptable on a public forum. We are all adults here, but the endless stream of abuse (all repeated in his 16.36 post for good measure) goes beyond what is acceptable, polite or reasonable.

OP is offering to subsidise a ski bum's season, for goodness sake.

Perhaps we should ask that Masque be barred from this site. If it's a choice between Nixmap and Masque for the high jump, then I'd be pushing Masque.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
....Perhaps we should ask that Masque be barred from this site. If it's a choice between Nixmap and Masque for the high jump, then I'd be pushing Masque.

Masque has always struck me as honest - mouthy maybe, but honest. I haven't gained that impression of nixmap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, I disagree - and not just because the poor sod had to share a week in the same room as me once. Note the way Nixmap really has not properly answered the points about Tax status, whether this is a job or not, legality of childcare etc.

If this forum were always a quite polite place it would be terribly tedious. The poetry of Masques invective is also quite beautiful. He also has experience - I recall - of taking legal action in countries in Europe other than the UK.
ski holidays
I'm not sure we can assess honesty. We can assess conviviality and charm, which is completely lacking in Masque in this thread.

However, I very much hope that no member of this forum may call for and achieve the banishment of another. People are free to leave fora if they don't like the environment, but I've never heard of somebody being expelled because a single member didn't like him!
latest report
Masque wrote:

If that's all you can offer after all the opportunities to be forthright about what you're offering, then it's time for me to ask that you be barred from this site. I will lay out the basis for this in a later post.

You have no basis for that.

In fact on the evidence of this thread, there would be more basis for banning you (although I do not believe there to be anywhere near sufficient even for that).
snow report
Everyone who has ever posted in this thread should be banned.

Oh.
snow report
paulio wrote:
Everyone who has ever posted in this thread should be banned.

Oh.

That really made me laugh, something rotten.

Maybe the thread should be killed so we can all cool off till 2012

After all applications are closed anyway for this season anyhow.
snow conditions
Quote:

The poetry of Masques invective is also quite beautiful.

wow stoatsbrother. Your holiday has certainly done you good - ready to see the world in a whole new light!
snow report
pam w wrote:
And you often ask them - nicely of course - to peel some potatos, hoover the floor, take a sponge round the bathroom and wash up.

Not that big an ask in our case if things get hectic, as we are not guests.
pam w wrote:
The family plan and shop for all the meals on their way to the chalet on a Friday?

Good question, this is the more likely option, shopping is better in town anyway. .
There is also a full chest freezer with goodness knows what in it. (No Masque, not bits of previous incumbents wink)

pam w wrote:
But if we try to get anyone else - an outside paid anyone else - to do the job for us, then it's a whole different ball game.
If you pay child-minders, they don't cook. If you pay a cleaner, they don't look after the kids, or cook.

Maybe your mistake is paying them.
All of the shortlisted applicants (between them) are qualifed ski instructors - and have professional cooking experience- and most have some professional caring experience, i.e. nurse, teacher, nursery work.
Maybe you should make a post in here.
If you want I could ask, to pass some runners up details on to you privately, with permission of course.

Of course your place sounds a lot busier than mine, and you may not be able to spare a seperate appartment, which does stop you getting under each others feet.
snow report
Quote:

Maybe your mistake is paying them

eh? I don't pay anybody. Where'd you get that idea from? I don't have a cleaner in the UK, and in France I get paid for cleaning other people's apartments.

I was making a more general point about the "financial worth" of the work done by an ordinary housewife/mother in an ordinary day - in response to your point that you and your wife could do everything yourselves in a weekend AND get out skiing. Well of course you can, that's what almost everybody who rents an apartment for a holiday or has their own place, does routinely. But in general, if you pay other people to do the work of a housewife/mother, you end up paying quite a lot. Plenty of households have a cleaner AND a nanny, for example though these days only the impossibly rich would have a cook as well.
latest report
James the Last, If I'm throwing bricks into the midden I have to expect some splashback Confused

Sorry for the tardy return; Long roads, no wifi and desert sunsets lend themselves to quiet contemplation over long neglected oeuvre along with the accompanying burropiss of industrialised american brewing Evil or Very Mad

It's not that often I climb onto a high horse and manage to stay in saddle, then even rarer that I can maintain such a high state of dudgeon. I've taken the opportunity of the last few days to reconsider my position . . . and I'm even more convinced that nixmap is the night-litter of a discarded condom polluting this wee playground and should be barred from posting his spam on this forum.

So let's take it from the top:

1: This is the second year of him doing this, including the Summer season. A quick Google takes us to many skiing and trekking forums where this advert has been placed. This is not a 'one-off', it is a planned and carefully placed strategy . . . for good or ill has, at this point, yet to be determined.

2: This is an offer of remuneration as a 'benefit in kind' to requested services. Whilst 'quid pro quo' has always had a place in our society, anything beyond a short term and simple arrangement has clearly throughout Europe, been defined as illegal. Whilst the tax liabilities are seemingly defined by the state of the tax assessor's haemorrhoids . . . it's even worse to try to apply civil law to these arrangements. Particularly if one of the participants is . . . best to be described as. "less than honourable" . . . not that nixmap has yet to be defined as such but his desire to promote such an arrangement and his reticence to define it doesn't bode well to his 'honourable' status.

But let's make it simple:
Quote:
Being able to work in Switzerland is subject to the principle "You can't take up a job unless you have a permit!" For you to be granted a permit, the following conditions must be satisfied during the transitional period:
National priority: the employer must provide evidence that he/she has not found another employee (i.e. a Swiss national or a foreign employee who is already integrated into the Swiss labour market) to fill this vacancy.
Check on pay and working conditions: for the protection of employees, these conditions will be checked when a permit is granted; they must be in line with the practice prevailing both locally and in the industry.

Do I first have to find a job in Switzerland, or can I immigrate before? In other words: do I need an affirmation from the immigration authorities?

EU/EFTA nationals may enter Switzerland for job-hunting purposes.
No permit is required for a period of up to three months. If they have not found a job after this time, a short-term residence permit (L permit) will be granted for another three months' job-hunting.

3: There are five areas of expertise/service required as advertised for bynixmap;

a) Housekeeping: Strictly regulated for non-Swiss nationals and requiring prior approvals by the Swiss authorities and local Cantons (see above).
b) Chef: It can hardly be called cooking given the "dinner party standard", 'our guests" and that it's to include a major culinary festive occasion (again see above)
c) Handyman: Just read the adverts and I suppose that going from clearing a swiss sewer to fixing a kid's toy could lead to some entertaining projectile vomiting Twisted Evil
d) Childminding: No, not nixmap's newly introduced babysitting but his original "Childminding". Highly regulated and expensive. (see above rolling eyes )
e) Ski instruction: The Swiss seem to be a little lax on this so I invite ski teaching professionals to comment on the situation . . . particularly their liabilities.

4: Looking at the numerous Swiss and ex-pat employment websites, I find that this seems to be representative:
Quote:
A: Generally speaking, it is very difficult to get a job in Switzerland and it is especially difficult and cumbersome to get a working permit. For more information and online job searching, see for example www.jobpilot.ch, www.jobs.ch, www.jobscout.ch etc. Please check also with the Federal Office for Migration
. Whilst it's very simple to, as nixmap says to sort a temporary (less than a year) visitors visa, it's a different ballgame altogether as a casual employee.

Then here's the proportionality of the remuneration. Switzerland does not have a minimum wage but a good chef in Switzerland is not cheap and neither is childminding. A good handyman does ok as does a housekeeper and a housekeeper often has accommodation as integral with their package . . . and not as just the package.

nixmap's offer would be possibly be equitable and fair (might even squeak through Swiss laws) if it were just to clean and prep his shed for his royal presence but he's demanding a value added that he's clearly not prepared to pay for and at the same time attempting to finagle Swiss law by avoiding his obligations as an employer in Switzerland. If it were otherwise we would have far more information to balance against our abilities in replying to his ad.
Then there're the liability issues, the first of which is nixmap's employer status . . . one that he's clearly not keen to accept in the wording of his advert. So where does that leave the applicant? Well unless they're willing to take up personal liability insurance for every activity they undertake in nixmap's shed . . . they're (rearrange the following in whatever sequence they like). . . creek, paddle, without, up, poop rolling eyes

nixmap has come here with the first and seemingly only intent to garner cheap and on his part, ill informed applicants to a job that leaves those applicants not just liable to prosecution under Swiss laws and vulnerable to action by nixmap himself for any perceived losses . . but also to action by the applicant's professional bodies should they become aware of their working illegally.

I don't care that for lack of any evidence other than his obscuration some think he should be given a benefit of doubt. That is a superficial thought and one he's clearly and carefully cultivated. I call his contribution to this forum dangerous to its members and one that in the short, median and long term is detrimental to this community.

edit 4 crappy grammar.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 9-08-09 20:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
hey Masque, you may well be on the right track and nixmap is trying to get a slave or a couple of slaves for the winter but why does it seem to be a personal crusade of yours to give him grief?

if i was 18 or so i'd be tempted to got for the "position" and hope for the best with regard my cleaning and cooking skills!
snow conditions
Roger C, I suspect Masque is right on all counts here - and given that this is a de facto job advert - even if nixmap continues to dodge answering the question about whether it is a job - at the very least he should be paying admin to run it...

The fact that some people have decided to apply for this doesn't make it any more legal or sensible - and I don't think snowHeads should be facilitating the process.

On the other hand it is almost the only interesting thread in an otherwise boring time on sH. Confused

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 9-08-09 20:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Roger C, because occasionally you can't ignore an abuse just 'cos it's not aimed at yourself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy