Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mind over matter games

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
I confidently expect to be much better at skiing on one leg after the Fast 'n Easy camp in June. snowHead

It's a very safe bet. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex wrote:

So the original question really becomes: Why is it easier to balance on an edged ski when I'm going faster?

Easy. Because when going faster centrifugal force compensates for the lacking ability to angulate. And small changes in edge angle provide bigger returns in balance recovery.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, when you are in the Dome try skiing on just your outside foot when traversing across the slope. as you get more confidence see if you can do it while turning, then do it on your inside leg and then try to go very slow while on one leg... this progression can go on and on... try it on one leg only so that you are using both edges of only one ski... try doing any of the above without using poles, etc.etc......

There is loads you can do in a snowdome to really really improve your skiing. Take your time on each run rather than just blasting down. Each run is preciously short and as a game see how slow you can ski on one foot.

Sometimes in the dome i work with people on improving their powder skiing... sounds impossible but i guarantee you can make great strides in being able to tackle powder for instance in snowdome.

comprex, fastman beat me to it on the answer wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:

Sometimes in the dome i work with people on improving their powder skiing... sounds impossible but i guarantee you can make great strides in being able to tackle powder for instance in snowdome.

For instance you can go in the attached ski shop and contemplate what fat skis to buy wink.

More seriously - what substitute is there for 1 footed drills when for injury rehab purposes one doesn't want to expose a knee.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
......what substitute is there for 1 footed drills when for injury rehab purposes one doesn't want to expose a knee.

Ski on the other leg wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, what are you trying to develop in your skiing?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More bulletproof knees. wink

Overall I guess an ability to ski harder and faster in variable conditions or dodgier terrain. Some of this is fitness and conditioning but some is some fine tuning of the toolbox.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, you have me beat... how about just skiing harder and faster and try to see where it goes wrong and if there is a common theme to your spills...

how is the knee doing? maybe some more telemarking would be a good thing to get your fitness and balance improved??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I thought I might try out one or two things in the snowdome - thanks. How much I get to do depends on how crowded the slope gets - with approaching 150 folks there I suspect it might be a case everyone for themselves. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, in regards to balance training you're going to find that fore/aft training will put your knee at more risk than lateral (single foot) training. Getting aft is the biggest killer of knees. So while it sounds a bit contradictory, fore/aft training is also crucial for avoiding knee injury. You just have to avoid moving into extreme aft positions during that training. Once you have your fore/aft skills refined, you can safely move into developing your lateral skills in relative safety. From a centered fore/aft stance, with an extended leg, the knee experiences little stress/load when skiing on one foot. It's only when the the hips move aft that the knee really becomes exposed to damage. Your prior fore/aft training will protect you from that exposure. It will also protect you from that exposure when just skiing around the mountain on 2 feet.

Finally, lateral training is a knee saver too. If you can't angulate,,, can't get and keep your weight onto your outside foot,,, you're ending up too much loading a more severly flexed inside leg. Again, a flexed leg/knee is where trouble awaits. Make sense? Lateral training develops angulation skills. Angulation is the tool that makes it work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy