Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pound gaining on the Euro - V slowly

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops, I am however interested in it... i have this crappy little app that tracks the euro rate and i always check for shifts when various news stories come out... hoping to see a beer in a French ski resort back under £4! I live in hope! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Standee wrote:
Currently at 1.17 with my bank, trigger point for transactions is 1.25, should hit that by Thursday next week.

Maybe not. The UK is already involved in bailing out Ireland. Next in the queue will be Portugal ....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Noticeable upswing in the last couple of days... £4 beer, here I come!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MoodyFFS wrote:
Noticeable upswing in the last couple of days... £4 beer, here I come!

I just had to check the pound hadn't divebombed, £4 beer is not something to be celebrating Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andytb, seriously it was €6 for a pint (not even a proper pint) in Morzine last year.... Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My broker is still recommending hedging Euro buys over the next few months. Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are your thoughts as to the next 7 days? I want to load my Euro card.

Is it best to do it asap or wait a few more days?

I know this is extreme crystal ball gazing but consider it a challenge Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, trend definitely seems up... but it depends a little on how much you are loading...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Much will depend on Portugal's bond sale and the news coming out of Portugal and Spain's banks.

Off a cent from 1.199 to 1.190 today but may well recover this before the day is out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MoodyFFS, good point, I'm thinking of the low 100's so overall a odd cent here or there wont make a massive difference.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11895623
latest report
 brian
brian
Could somebody please do something about the Swiss Franc? £1 = 1.47 CHF Shocked Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, tough to see the CHF weakening while the Euro continues to implode
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, I know its pretty unbelievable, 1.46 now...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As the Scottish pound is maintaining parity with sterling, Scotland is looking rather good.
snow report
Not the proper place for this but the FTSE just broke 6000, how long has that been?
ski holidays
Almost 3 years, maybe I can start looking at pensions statements again without getting upset Crying or Very sad
latest report
tiffin, not if you look at mine you can't. Effin' disasterous year - the retirement age keeps moving tantalisingly out of reach.
snow conditions
JimW,
quite agree......6000 cos punters eye of the ball at xmas and big boys move in for undervalued stock-then we all get excited and start buying and lo and behold in jan the chaps will take their profit and we will we back to 5500..doh!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
pension statements...... rolling eyes
snow report
northantsred, Whats one of them?
snow conditions
BOING!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/default.stm
ski holidays
Jeez, nearly 2% on the day!!

The wheels have fallen off the German economy and the rest of Europe barely has an economy so the Eurozone no longer looks a safe haven for investment. Germany aside, Eurozone is a gnat's away from being back in recession.

Despite the talk, I don't see UK rates rising much, if at all, provided inflation stays below 4%. Inflation is the easiest way of paying off government borrowing. Above 4% will be ringing alarm bells and 5% would be disastrous.

ETA - its 1% as I was looking at the two day movement rolling eyes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-01-11 18:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
1 point fecking 2!

Never thought I'd be so happy to see the rate which we chose as the very, very pessimistic figure on which to base our business plans 3 and a half years ago!
snow conditions
Swiss Franc the safe haven? Should have bought some this week.
snow report
Whats going on with the Euro?

££ takes a beating most of last week, all around doom and gloom in Greece Portugal etc but no gains for Sterling

Im off to the beach in two weeks and was hoping for a mini revival but nothing doing Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sweet Smile hadn't noticed that. time to make those international purchases that i've been putting off for too long Smile
latest report
hedley, because there seems little prospect of interest rate rise in UK and despite issues in greece, club med and ireland, the german and french economies are doing okay, better than UK. So basically overall I guess euro zone looks economically stronger than the UK and if greece defaults the UK is not isolated from the impact. Well that's my uninformed take on matters.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hedley wrote:
Whats going on with the Euro?

This seems to be one of those times when the whole population can see some things that are blindingly obvious but politicians simply won’t act upon it.

The obvious points being:
1 We live on an island
2 We import more than we export
3 A low value pound increase the cost of living due to point 2 (but reduces interest payment in other currencies)
4 Politicians are self serving, self righteous, short sighted and as a rule not that bright
5 The pound is undervalued against the Euro. This is obvious to everyone, for the reasons stated in point 4

6 Your ski trip(s) is/are going to cost more
snow report
Wayne, when will you be starting up your 'ski Scotland' trips ?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Wayne, when will you be starting up your 'ski Scotland' trips ?

Never, coz, as even though it is sometimes possible to sort of ski in Scotland, and you could do this whilst on holiday, it’s not really possible for most (non ruggid) families to have a ski holiday in Scotland – if you get my meaning.

I spend more time than most in the Scottish hills (I was working on Nevis last Saturday), and to put it bluntly the weather simply is not conducive with being able to forward plan a ski trip with enough certainty to make running tours practicable.

The weather is no-ones fault, it just is. It’s one of the few things about Scotland that even Would-Be-President-Salmond (see point 4 above wink ) can’t blame the English for. No use complaining about it, just have to accept that in certain parts of the world the mountains are, most of the time during the winter, simply cold, windy, icy and horrid.

EDIT>
PS, in case anyones interested. It was snowing on Nevis summit at 3am on Sunday (June 25th) morning
latest report
Can't believe that with everything that is happening in the Eurozone at the moment and Cameron's statement that we will not be involved in any Greek bail out, the best travellers rate I can get is 1.095 and that is by loading up one of those pre-paid cards.

Just show's what a mess our economy is in, if the £ is not gaining on the € in the current climate.

Wayne, We do export alot of technology, it's not something you can touch but it is a big export market. We then import it back as finished goods from a cheaper manufacturing base. The cost of importing however has gone through the roof, 40' containers from China (port to port) have gone from around £900 3 years ago to over £3000 now. Doesn't have any significant impact on a £500 Iphone, but on large item's (i.e. anything that takes up alot of space on a container such as furniture) it does and manufacturing in the UK is now more viable.

I am of course presuming that consumers start spending again before manufacturers go bump.
snow report
Wayne wrote:

5 The pound is undervalued against the Euro. This is obvious to everyone, for the reasons stated in point 4

Arguably it's a policy of this government and the Bank of England to keep the value of the £ low as it increases the viability of our exporters and ultimately reduces the debt burden
latest report
stevew wrote:
Arguably it's a policy of this government and the Bank of England to keep the value of the £ low as it increases the viability of our exporters and ultimately reduces the debt burden

Yeah I heard some daft politicianS saying this as well.

But.... As we import more than we export, it’s a fatuous self serving argument; which is what you’d expect from Westminster.

It’s so simple that even someone who has never had to earn a living doing a real job – like call-me-dave – should be able to understand, but obviously not.
snow report
Quote:
Yeah I heard some daft politicians saying this as well. But.... As we import more than we export,

A low £ does a few things...

1) It makes our goods cheaper to export. Exporting goods means that more money is coming into the UK economy, relative to money going out. This in turn helps the UK economy. For the economy to bounce back stronger the gap between what we import and export needs to be reduced.

2) A low £ also reduces the (relative) value of the UK overseas debt.

3) A low £ boosts the UK tourist industry. More Europeans visit and more Brits 'stay at home' spending their money here.

For sure, the current low value of the 'British peso' is frustrating for holidaymakers.
But it is not necessarily a bad thing for longer term economic recovery.

As long as interest rates stay low then my guess is that the value of the £ will also stay low ? So probably for a few years.... The £ will eventually bounce back against the Euro (whose problems are only becoming apparent now), but if I had to guess it will take time - maybe 3+ years.
ski holidays
The low £ also protects UK manufacturers against imports from the Eurozone. My guess is the government, through the so-called independent Monetary Policy Committee, will seek to keep it low against the Euro for at least 18 months. It's working for the company I work for. Of course if you're a TO you may have a different perspective.
ski holidays
I am not sure that Uk has had a say in the value of Sterling for the last 10 or 20 years, not much propping it up or selling it off in the way it used to happen
ski holidays
rayscoops, it can influence the exchange rate by setting the BofE interest rate.
snow conditions
achilles, well yes, but the BoE administers that independently of the Government Little Angel
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
achilles, well yes, but the BoE administers that independently of the Government Little Angel

Exactly. Haggis Trap put the case I was trying to make far more succinctly than I could - thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy