Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pound gaining on the Euro - V slowly

Poster: A snowHead
Shock, horror, gasp, currency rates fluctuate !!! rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm?

Quote:
The pound slid to $1.6453 as of 1:37 p.m. in London, from $1.6478 yesterday and traded at $1.6392 earlier, the lowest level this month.

So it fell $0.0025. I appreciate that English is not your native language, but if you think that is a 'nose dive' you might want to look up references to English idiom. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
None of this would of mattered if we had joined the euro at the same time as everyone else! If we joined back in 1999, €5.50 might have not have seem as being expensive as it acutally is for a Pint!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, you really are a cheery wee soul aren't you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
stanton, you really are a cheery wee soul aren't you

I am just giving a heads up for you guys to exchange money now (like right now) at a good rate before Sterling sinks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, Oooo! You are luverly!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveg481 wrote:
None of this would of mattered if we had joined the euro at the same time as everyone else! If we joined back in 1999, €5.50 might have not have seem as being expensive as it acutally is for a Pint!

Hey.. I pay ~€2.60 for a pint. €3.00 if you're pushing it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The euro begins its nose-dive against the pound. wink rolling eyes

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyph, the Euro might have a little bounce back given this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8198766.stm

France and Germany out of recession. Eurozone still in recession, but that's two big hitters performing well for the currency.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today the pound dropped to 6-week lows against the US dollar and 10-week lows against the euro

Oh Dear Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite liking the Chf atm.... don't care about the Euro unless I head into Italy

Anyway..could be a whole new ballgame in 2010
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, excellent news. The low price of the £ has created business for my employer, and so helped keeping me working.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hate being right.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, I hate being left.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, I love the way economists and financial analysts claim to be right .... not difficult when they havent actually forecast anything specific in the first place.
snow report
achilles, paulio, I just hate being late for dinner. Confused

Agenterre, I think the cliche is 20/20 hindsight.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
The low price of the £ has created business for my employer, and so helped keeping me working.

but it's killing the european ski market for UK tourists
But, hey ho, I get paid in euros when in italy so the beer will cost the same whatever it does
latest report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 30-09-09 0:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Some charge what the market won't stand. There seems to be a calculation in place in a number of bars and restaurants along the lines of:

"Right, last year I had a hundred punters a night buying an average two beers at 5 Euros a pop. This season I can expect 75 buying an average of one and a half so clearly I need to charge 9 Euros a time."

Crazy fools.... Unfortunately some will only cotton on to the folly of this approach when they have one deranged rich loner sitting at their bar and realise that the odds of extracting 1,000 Euros out of even him for a demi are looking poor.
latest report
1.137 atm! Looks certain to be staying around the 1.10-1.20 mark for the forseeable future..
snow conditions
Anyone read the report in the Telegraph today? Even for a Eurosceptic and anti-foreigner paper like that this makes shocking reading for those in receipt of monies in the UK and having to spend their hard-earned pennies in Europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/6207852/Pound-will-fall-to-parity-with-euro.html

My UK pension has now lost over a third of its value since this time last year, plus my bloody bank is charging me more for the pleasure of using any ATM.

And people ask why I still work - I've no bloody choice! At least my salary here amounts to a wee bit more. But hey-ho when I can afford a trip back to Blighty at least I'll get more for my money (not!)

Sue Sad
snow report
Samerberg Sue, not much option but to grin and bear it. Less lunches on the mountain again next winter though, particularly if we have our sons with us.
snow conditions
Quote:

I am just giving a heads up for you guys to exchange money now (like right now) at a good rate before Sterling sinks

Stanton was right. Not hindsight, either.
ski holidays
Who knows what it will do. Since it stared in 95, the Euro has been all over the place.

*These are not the tourists’ rates; they are the rates that have been on offer to bulk buyers at .5% below interbank.
Figures are minus 1, so 1.5 is shown as .5, etc.
ski holidays
US dollar rate not too bad though... better than last season - if worse than the season before.

One of the weeks I have booked in Europe this winter is half-board, and I suspect that the S6BB will be too. In fact one of the places we are staying in the US is half-board with an upfront statement of how much they will charge in lieu of service charge/tips. Not sure I would rush to book a European skiing holiday which was not half-board, and I suspect there will be a lot of people buying drinks in and admiring the view from their balcony this season
ski holidays

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 30-09-09 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Who knows what it will do. Since it stared in 95, the Euro has been all over the place.
[img]http://www.snowMedia

"fog in channel, continent cut off"

I think you mean the pound has been all over the place.

1:1 would be really bad, it would mean tourist getting something around 95c, still with the Bank of England effectively printing money I guess something has to give. It is going to cause some problems on the bond market though I would have thought and feed through to domestic inflation. At that point the bank may have no option but to raise interest rates which will screw all the people who were relying on low interest rates to pay their mortgage.

I'm told that all that stops the pound going down the sh1tter today is the markets have priced in a Tory win for this autumn/next year and figure Cameroon will implement the tough medecine needed to at least stabilize the economy. If I were David Cameron I would be thinking of taking a job abroad somewhere, the guy would have to be mad to take over the country in its current state.
snow report
I still wouldn't rule out data from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain having the ability to drag the Euro down a bit over the next 9 months ... although that may just be wishfull thinking!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ctskifam, Hopefully before Xmas wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, anything snowHead s can do en masse to shift the global economic balance? Let's not underestimate our influence Madeye-Smiley
snow report
ctskifam wrote:
I still wouldn't rule out data from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain having the ability to drag the Euro down a bit over the next 9 months ... although that may just be wishfull thinking!

Hope not. The present exchange rate has been good for business, and for the stock market (and so my investments, and a lot of sH pension plans). OK, for 3 specific weeks in the winter I might be self-intersted enough to hope for a Euro drop. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Since it stared in 95, the Euro has been all over the place

well since it actually existed in coin and paper form, and started being used, in 2002 the general trend has been very strong against the pound.
snow report
achilles, good enough that skiers are happy to pay 30% more for their winter holiday than 3 or 4 years ago...?

I don't buy the argument that it is good for business (obviously from a position of huge bias as I run a business where 60%+ of my outgoings are in Euros). If global investors saw the UK and it's constituent businesses as a good investment the currency would be stronger. Yes the markets are looking a bit better - but still on the basis of low numbers of trades and there is a lot of volatility/instability.

Hopefully a low pound will spark some investment in the UK and it's remaining exporters will prosper but I'm not holding my breath. What may change that is if interest rates go up - which will cause all kinds of grief in the short term but may not be a bad thing longer term.

However, more than anything I just want to get on with running a ski company and not have to think about it! I may go and have a lie down now .... or just stop following this thread! Very Happy
ski holidays
achilles, make that 3 months in winter and I might agree with you! wink
ski holidays
ctskifam, 30% more on ski holidays is niff naff compared to having job security and good stock market levels. Though unemployment has been bad, it would have been worse with a high pound. Your business may not being doing so well out of the exchange rate - but the company that employs me is - and judging by the stock market, the level is good for UK plc, too (though I have been wondering about trading volume).
latest report
achilles, without wanting to tempt fate we have done well over the last few seasons (partly because my pessimistic view of where the currency could go has proved about right!) but I think a lot of businesses in all kinds of sectors are still struggling - and a lot of people have very real worries about their job security. The stock market is only just beginning to nudge the levels of 12 months ago (which I think was at the time the lowest point since mid 2005).

Maybe it would be fairer to say that if the currency was sitting at around 1.25/1 it would show that the economy was viewed globally as being stronger - rather than it being a desireable thing in itself.
latest report
RE. Low Sterling. Investors would be looking for Sterling to remain low for years to consider investing in the UK. Fluctuations by 20-30-50% % every 3-6-12 months is no good for long term investing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/6213418/Sterling-falls-against-dollar-and-euro-after-BoE-report-highlights-UKs-economic-imbalances.html
ski holidays
stanton, we have benefited by sterling not being so much a reserve currency as it was. And it looks like Merv is trying to keep the £ down. Good for him.

ctskifam, of course there is a lot of worry still out there. But there would be despair if the £ was high just so skiers could have cheap holidays.
latest report
achilles, completely agree - I'm not quite that blinkered. £ was (with the benefit of hindsight) clearly overvalued prior to "Le Crunch". I do think that if the UK economy was in better shape it would be sitting higher though.

That's not to say there aren't advantages to it being low @ the mo - although I remain of the opinion that these are being overstated by some commentators. I'm not really that bothered by where it sits, as long as it does sit there for a bit, it's the fluctuations and unpredictability that are the pain in the butt.
snow conditions
ctskifam wrote:
.....it's the fluctuations and unpredictability that are the pain in the butt.

Agreed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy