Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pound gaining on the Euro - V slowly

Poster: A snowHead
This brings back memories or a farmer friend who was buying a new combine, on €500,000 he was gutted when the rate dropped from 1.73 to 1.68 over the interval between pressing the go button for the order and arranging the money transfer... it brings misty eyed tears of yesteryear! I think he's now thinking of selling it back to the continent second hand (or he ought to be...)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
Ya but it won't go back to 1.4-1.5 because the pound was grossly overvalued at the time....

Doesn't really matter what the value of the pound is.
Due to the sheer size of the EU it's more to do with what the value of the Euro is as the pound will float with all the other dosh from around the world against this.
It’s deff going to get dragged down by the PIGGS anyway but this will be compounded by Germany being buggered as it appears to be, so you never know we may see 1.4
Basic fact is the EU was a stupid idea, as it will never work from an economic stand point (the world is full of countries waiting to join the PIGGS and for some reason the EU wants to invite em in - V Strange) but fron my personal outlook its great coz I can work all over.

Whether the EU as a political body was a good idea can be debated for both sides; but to say that Eurozone was a stupid idea is absolutely ridiculous. How is a free-trade pact a stupid idea? Seeing as we're on about finance I can only assume you are talking about Eurozone. And it obviously is working from an economic stand point.. beacuse even though some of its members economics aren't holding up too well, they seem to be coping better than great old (poor) britain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmaah wrote:
Whether the EU as a political body was a good idea can be debated for both sides; but to say that Eurozone was a stupid idea is absolutely ridiculous. How is a free-trade pact a stupid idea? Seeing as we're on about finance I can only assume you are talking about Eurozone. And it obviously is working from an economic stand point.. beacuse even though some of its members economics aren't holding up too well, they seem to be coping better than great old (poor) britain.

Ok can I just point another “fact”, I know sod all about economics (I teach skiing and guide stuff around the world and also do a bit of supply teaching in applied physics) so everything I say may be total boll ocks. But like most men who are well into their Clarkson period and moving rapidly towards their Meldrew, I have an opinion.

I am old enough to remember that the EEC was meant to be just a free trade zone. Now this seems to be a good idea (to me). But then you have 2 things that spoiled the whole thing.

1st you had to have people to run the new EEC and as in Europe it is political parties that run each country, they sent their own people along to run it. Hey presto you have politicians running the whole show. What does this mean? Well to me it means that the Empire Building mentality came in (as that is just the nature of politics) "very" quicky, and this, inevitably, meant increasing the size of the EEC. But as most of the reliable economies had already been invited, other countries whose economies simply weren’t up to the job were allowed in – with very obvious befits to the new members. The obvious outcome of this (well not obvious to politicians apparently) was that money started flowing from certain parts of the EU (stopped being the EEC by now) to other bits. The rich paying to jack up the poor. No European countries’ economies can keep paying out to run another country. So, IMO the EU just isn’t financially viable.

2nd was that everything was ticking alone nicely, whilst the world was in a bear market but as soon as the going gets tuff, the normal nationalistic tendency of protectionism steps in. The rich counties take steps to keep their own population “in the manner to which they have become accustomed” and this leads to splits in EU. There is no way IMO that the EU was ever going to cope with a down turn, as we have now. Whilst most of the richer countries could probably ride out the storm, the continued political desire to prop up the poor countries (that are poor for a reason BTW) will inevitably drag down the whole show.

So, the sum result of this is that the UK, with a banking and service based economy was hit hard and fast when the (banking) downturn started. But this will I think (eventually) be seen as just a slight blip when compared, medium term, to the EU’s desperate, and ultimately futile attempts to shore up an artificial pan-country economy. So the Pound dives first, the Euro just sinks slowly very quickly dropping below the Pound. This doesn’t mean that the Pound is raising, it just mean the Euro is dropping lower.

QED, my beer in Mallorca in the summer may cost more but my beer in Italy next year will be back to normal.

OMG – I know I shouldn't do this (as very simple to dis-prove in a few months), but here you go. I recon 1.25 by the end of the end of the year. If it doesn’t stay there it won’t matter as it only needs to b at this rate this for a split second as we have an option to purchase a forward at 1.25 on 1.5 million Euros.

Here endith the 1st lesson according to me which, as I said may be a complete load of cr*p. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
add to this the fact that the EU has acted way to slow to try and help the EU economy compared to the UK, then 1.25 seems quite conservative. The UK will be out of this a long time before the EU.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davejsy wrote:
The UK will be out of this a long time before the EU.

sometime around 2030-2035 according to newsnight last night.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good job the currency traders don't appear to watch newsnight then
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, all your points can scale up to the global economy or scale down to each end of [insert mid-length motorway or trunk road here]. In the short term the poor are perceived to sponge off the rich, but if in the long term the povery gap narrows then everyone benefits. On a local scale crime is reduced and the burden of benefits is relieved. On a European scale, the risk of war and political oppression are reduced. All worthy end goals which serve capitalist and social democrat the same.

Edit: text got lost on first two attempts

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-05-09 12:27; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyph, take a read of this as food for thought...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/False-Dawn-Delusions-Global-Capitalism/dp/1862075301?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blimey, red 27, looks heavy going. Have you read it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph wrote:
In the short term the poor are perceived to sponge off the rich, but if in the long term the poverty gap narrows then everyone benefits.

Will never happen. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer

andyph wrote:
On a local scale crime is reduced and the burden of benefits is relieved.

No, you get a different type of crime

andyph wrote:
On a European scale, the risk of war and political oppression are reduced.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Was there really a risk of war anyway or was this just a trite and glib remark by some politicians trying to justify their role by citing past wars.

andyph wrote:
All worthy end goals which serve capitalist and social democrat the same.

Not really. The people who gain the most from capitalism are those higher up the pecking order and the ones that benefit (and shout for the most) from so called social democracy are those that contribute the least - OMG
wink
Basically IMO capitalism and social democracy are mutually incompatible. One system works and one doesn't, well it never has, in the long term, for the whole of previous human history. So what do you think we are going to end up with ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go for it, Wayne.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Liberal democracy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, I think your first post got its bulls and bears mixed up, however your point about the EU structure not being able to handle a big down turn is very valid.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:
Wayne, I think your first post got its bulls and bears mixed up, however your point about the EU structure not being able to handle a big down turn is very valid.

Like I said, I know sod all about this stuff so most probably wrong anyway Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lets delete this thread and talk about skiing
ski holidays
andyph, it is... but for something written 10 years ago it's impressive. The basic message is that our rush to an american style free-market has screwed society for ever and there's no going back! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
andyph, it is... but for something written 10 years ago it's impressive. The basic message is that our rush to an american style free-market has screwed society for ever and there's no going back! Crying or Very sad
Each step is taken by the individual, don't rely on the politicians to set your path.

Floating free anarchy!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
andyph, c. Wolfie Smith of the Tooting Popular Front - am i right?
ski holidays
red 27, Power to the People! So long as they're wearing a nice suit and tie! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Up to 1.153, hasn't been that high since December. Let's hope the improvement continues.
ski holidays
Now at 1.16, slow but sure rise. Up 10% on where it was a couple of months ago.
latest report
Switzerland just gone into recession apparently. Presumably that will mean a bit of extra Franc value for our precious Sterling as well.

Excellent, Smithers.
snow report
Wayne wrote:
Basically IMO capitalism and social democracy are mutually incompatible. One system works and one doesn't, well it never has, in the long term, for the whole of previous human history. So what do you think we are going to end up with ?

You would need to define what you mean by both terms and elaborate.
snow conditions
Today Sterling fell against the Euro & Dollar.
latest report
stanton, thought you might be on this thread, watching, waiting.... Laughing
snow report
red 27 wrote:
stanton, thought you might be on this thread, watching, waiting.... Laughing

Down again today

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/11/13/one_month.stm
snow conditions
stanton,
Quote:

Down again today

No it's not - back above 1.14 after a low point below 1.13.
ski holidays
If Gordon Brown resigns the pound will be back to €1.40!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big (untrue) roumour yesterday that some yank bank had dumped 5billion into $
That and waiting to see if that idiot chancellor would get what he deservers. Last night the yanks and the Japanese dumped £'s when they thought Brown was on the way out - not that he is any good just the any form of political instability is seen as bad.

The risk aversion seen for the past 3 months is still there but not as much, so some people are now prepared to take "small" risks (with the money we lent them) and sell $'s for £'s - the € is doing sod all so gets dumped as no poss. of profit taking. Which, at the end of the day is what currency traders are interested in

£ will go back up again in next few days -

1.2 soon, after which, who knows
snow report
I would not worry about Gordon. Keep an eye on the US

http://youtube.com/v/YDD03avqv2A

http://youtube.com/v/2EnUuM4xXBA
snow report
85p Very Happy 1.176 getting there Very Happy
latest report
This is quite telling!
snow report
Oh splendid Very Happy
snow conditions
I remember last autumn lots of folk going on about how the sky wa going to fall in and the UK was a basket case.....well looks as though the worst maybe over and we are about to pull out of the down turn, I feel slightly vindicated Laughing
latest report
Now over 1.18€ to the £, highest since about last November. That 5.5€ pint is now a bargain at £4.66.
latest report
I reckon it will stabalize at around 1.20-1.25 mark
snow report
1.18761 now

15% up this year so "if" it keeps going at the same rate £1 = €1.35 by the end of the year ?

But who knows Puzzled
latest report
Run on Sterling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/5844648/IMF-warns-pound-could-be-at-risk-from-uncertainty.html
ski holidays
Sterling has begun its nose dive against the Dollar & Euro.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=agQDSjTtg_jI

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-08-09 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton, oh my God! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy