Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for a resort with loads of cruisy blues

Poster: A snowHead
bobblehat, there are no UK package holidays to Les Saisies (that's one of its major charms wink ) so, no catered chalets ('cos that's just a British phenomenon) and the main hotel, the Calgary, is pretty expensive. There is a sort of "aparthotel" called Le Chardons Bleu, which might be rather cheaper, details at http://www.lechardonbleu.com/

Self catering is by far the most popular option but there are heaps of restaurants so you could pay someone else to cook, if you prefer, and it would be easy to find an apartment convenient to return at lunchtimes, which saves a heap of money. There is also a good range of food available in the local shops, including prepared dishes from the traiteur if you want to take life easy.

End January/early February is about as snowsure as it gets and will still be pretty quiet. Snow quality varies from year to year, like anywhere else, but you can be sure that, of the whole gamut of resorts around, including Flaine, Les Saisies will have as good snow as any, and a lot better than most. That's a really good time to visit. There are loads of apartments of all standards. If you want top quality with a pool etc, the Village des Lapons features in Erna Low's brochures (or did when I last looked). But they're expensive; there are loads of cheaper ones, equally convenient.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was hoping you could answer a question on mont basinne. someone mentioned an apartment that was on the blue slope and I was wondering what Mont Basinne was like. does it have anything to offer or is it easy to come down to les saises if you are not on skis?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo99, there are a number of blue slopes on Mont Bisanne, which has a range of slopes - from green to black, actually. If you could tell me the name of the apartment, I could probably answer your question. Our apartment is on one of the blue slopes (at Bisanne 1500) but that is away from the main village. It's an easy (and very pleasant) ski or a 10-15 minute drive. You'd probably be better off in the main village. The Les Saisies website has a lot of information, including some details about the location of apartment buildings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for answering pam, i was hoping you were on lol.
here it is http://www.skiamour.com/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we wil probably be hiring a car to take us from airport to apartments but dont realy intend driving whilst we are there. is there a place to leave skis and boots in the vilage near the lifts? and I take it you can ski to les saisis and all the places metnioed before?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am not really sure what is actually in Mont Basinne as far as facilities are concerned, i had just come across this apartment and it seemed to be what we were looking for. do you think we would be better of in les saisies? is there more to offer? is there any sledging, like organised sledging?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo99, I know that apartment very well, because I clean it on changeover days from time to time. Laughing Very nice apartment - exactly the same as ours. From the apartment building (which is in my photo above, in the upper row of chalets) you potter down a couple of hundred metres to the chairlift, up to the top of Mont Bisanne, and down into Les Saisies village. There's nowhere to leave skis in Bisanne 1500 but you wouldn't want to - because there's no point in renting a ski in/ski out apartme and then walking or driving down to the lift.

There is a ski hire shop right in the middle of LS village itself, by the ski school meeting place, top of the nursery slopes, middle of everything, where you can leave skis (if you hire from them) but frankly there's no need - most of the apartments are within a stone's throw of the piste. I think you might be better off in the main village - but it depends what you are looking for, really. And yes, we can put skis on outside the apartment and ski to the other end of the Espace Diamant. You don't need to use buses at all, though getting to the other end of the domaine and back in one day might be a bit of a stretch for second week skiers and does require confidence with some quite steep drag lifts. But I think you'll find more than enough skiing in Les Saisies, Crest Voland and the upper reaches of Notre Dame de Bellecombe, without going down into the Arly Valley.

Do you plan to take lessons?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so when you say the main village do you mean the main village of les saisies or the main village of mont basinne?

No we dont intend taking lessons, just want to potter on our own.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, There's no such village as "Mont Bisanne", it's a mountain. I mean the main village of Les Saisies, which is where most things are. There a little area called "Bisanne 1500", which is where that apartment is, but it's very small - just a few apartments and chalets, a ski hire shop, a tiny grocery shop (if it survives) and a couple of restaurants. We love being out in the country but it's not for everybody, and the village of LS is more central.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
The other resort I've been to which might suit you is Kitzbuhel.

Thinking of the areas in my "home patch", Kitzbühel would certainly be possible. If you're not desperate for nightlife, you could maybe consider staying at Pass Thurn (a small place on the road from Kitz to Mittersill). The runs up on the Resterhöhe are long pleasant blues. And, if you become more adventurous as the week progresses, you could work your way over to the Badbärenkogel and then Jochberg (with Kitzbühel on beyond).

Another good choice for intermediates is the Steinplatte (Waidring), though the area is more restricted for a whole week. Using the Schneewinkel lift pass, you could combine it with St. Johann and Fieberbrunn but that would mean bus travel on some days. Alternatively, you could perhaps stay on the Winklmoosalm on the German side, which only has easy runs (but linked to the Steinplatte). Staying in Reit im Winkl, the nearest town on the German side, would mean bus travel (although there should be a cable-car up for the last section rather than the bus transfer which has been necessary up till now).

Fieberbrunn itself might be a good choice too (and they are building a big new hotel right next to the lifts which should open next season).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i would add my vote for la rosiere went last week of the season lots of big blues - and reds too - if you get really good you can go miles
otherwise there are plenty of runs to keep you busy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i would add my vote for la rosiere went last week of the season lots of big blues - and reds too - if you get really good you can go miles
otherwise there are plenty of runs to keep you busy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Rosiere is not bad - but there are far more blue runs in the Espace Diamant. Les Saisies alone has almost as many blue runs as the entire Espace Bernadino (ie La Ros and La Thuile combined). And I think it's fair to say that it's difficult to do justice to La Thuile (the other side of the domaine) unless you are confident on red runs. La Rosiere does have some ski in/out accommodation, but not a vast choice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, we went to La Rosiere/La Thuile for the first time just before Easter - in my very humble opinion I found the reds on the Italian side to be very gentle excepting the one you need to go down to get there (and this is very wide without the traffic one would expect) and one other. In fact one of the blues had a rather steep bit which was taking people by surprise.
We have been offered the use of the ski in/ski out accomm (in Les Eucherts area) again and may well go back, but the skiing was (we found) a little boring on the French side and I'm no expert! I remember thinking that it would be a perfect place for 2/3 weekers.

I do like the sound of Les Saisies Very Happy As you may know, I love Les Gets but am getting increasingly less tolerant of how British it's getting Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd recommend Megeve. The town is a bit busier than St Gervais (and hosts the central lifts for the skiiing of the Mont Evasion area), has 5-6 shops at the bottom of the main lift that all offer lockers for skis and boots (so you can stroll there and back in whatever footwear you like). There are loads of easy runs, a lot of which are tree lined. If you go onto the Jaillet side you are even less likely to see people and the skiing itself is more picturesque (saw a deer crossing a run that we were about to descend this year) I went there in March and it was very quiet. You could often sit down at the side of a popular run to have a bite to eat and not have anyone pass you for a good 10-15 minutes. There is a sports hall that has a swimming pool, tennis courts and ice rink, and this year they had an offer from March onwards that included free use of ice skating and swimming with your lift pass (which I imagine they'll repeat).
snow conditions
Yes, Megeve has a lot going for it - it's a far more sophisticated resort, but will be more expensive than Les Saisies, generally speaking. And unless you are going to be taking full advantage of the range of gourmet dining and shopping available, you mightn't get full value from it. The resort is a good deal lower, too. There's less ski in/out self catering accommodation, though if you can store your skis and boots (provided the latter will be somewhere warm wink ) walking shouldn't be a big problem.
snow report
pam w, many thanks for the advice much appreciated. The lack of package deals is one of the main reasons that I want to go to les Saisies. I normally scout the net for accommodation and book it privately, then we drive down.
We did a package this year to Les Arcs basically because I couldn't better the club med deal at the time - but taking into account the time it took at the airport, transfers etc it was ridiculous and has put us off for life. Also the fact that the resort is traditional with a lack of british TO's has got to be a good omen in my book Laughing

Will be doing alot of research now and working even harder to persuade the other half away from Tignes, which will be hard !!!!!!
Then again its only and hour and half drive so could always pop over there for the day Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

its only and hour and half drive

That's what viaMichelin.com says, but I think they're wrong - unless you drive like a French postman it'll take rather longer. If you do it, don't go the viaMichelin way, via the Arly Valley. From Albertville, drive up towards Beaufort then straight up the mountainside from Villard sur Doron to Bisanne 1500, park the car (free) by the bottom of the chairlift (there's a pass office there) and go to LS over Mont Bisanne.

I'm a fan of the Espace Diamant (as you can tell wink ) but depending on what you're looking for, and used to, it might not be a great substitute for Tignes.
ski holidays
pam w, Hiya - If I'm reading your post right then you are thinking that I am meaning to stay in tignes and go over the LS for the day - I may not have explained myself very well but meant it the other way around Smile stay in LS and pop to Tignes for the day ... was using Google Directions for timing, which I admit is about half an hour out if our journey to Tignes the other year was anything to go by Laughing

I think I can safely say we both prefer the quieter traditional resort, when we were in Tignes we stayed in Les brevieres which we loved , in Chamonix Les Houches and in Arcs we stayed in 2000 which was ok but a bit of a concrete jungle and just didn't seem to work for us.

Being a slightly nervous skiier I love greens at the beginning of the week to get confidence and then wide easy cruisy blues to have some fun on - think LS will beat Tignes hands down on that factor alone looking at the piste map.

TBH never heard of Espace Diamant until this post and if I can persaude the other half then I think I may be a convert from what I have read and seen on their official site.
ski holidays
I'd never heard of Espace Diamant either and I thought I'd been to most major ski areas in the French Alps. Since joining snowHead s I realise this is not the case.
ski holidays
polo99,

La Plagne is good for long blues but quite busy and probably a bigger area than you need.

I actually prefer the smaller resorts of france, its a nice chilled family atmosphere. I totally agree with your OH that you do not want to get a bus to a gondala to get a lift before you all start skiing!! that seems to be austria all over.

I have been only been to one resort twice which is Risoul / Vars. Went there and knew that it was the perfect place for to take my kids for their first trip. I love the place and ski in/out, cheaper than the mega resorts, tree line runs.

For my kids second trip, we have booked Chamrousse so i cannot comment on it yet but snowtrex is VFM. been to a few of their resorts before and loved La Joue Du Lou/ devoluy for kids and one weekers.

France is way better for families.
latest report
queen bodecia, the Espace Diamant is hardly "major". But all the better for that! bobblehat, I hope you make it - it sounds just right for you. I've done several day trips from our place to the Espace Killy, when my son was working over there. Always enjoyed it, but always felt a trifle intimidated by the terrain (not by the pistes, which are fine, but by the bleakness of it all in poor weather) and by having so many really expert skiers around and was glad to be back home afterwards. Les Saisies is getting itself on the map but it still really helps to be able to speak a bit of French, and Brits are sufficiently unusual there to have some interesting conversations on chairlifts. Sometimes in French, sometimes in English, but what I REALLY like is being able to give directions, in French, to French skiers unfamiliar with the area, who are wondering what parts of the domain to visit. That makes me feel really cool!!! My knowledge of the pistes is better than my knowledge of French, but I cope. We've noticed more English voices on the pistes each year but still a tiny minority.
latest report
pam w,

Hi, have been following this thread with interest, how does cost of 'things' compare in LS to french mega resorts?
Such as grub on the mountain, a glass of vin chaud & a pint of beer. May seem a bit petty but with a family in tow these day time 'fuel' stops add up to a lot of cash. The terrain sounds ideal for the wife who I am trying to persuade back to the slopes after she had a bit of a dodgy week & lost confidence last seaon.
Thanks in advance
Mitch
ski holidays
Mitchell wrote:
The terrain sounds ideal for the wife who I am trying to persuade back to the slopes after she had a bit of a dodgy week & lost confidence last season.

I'd say your choice of ski school/instructor is far more important than choice of resort if you are trying to rebuild confidence.
ski holidays
pam w, I googled the piste map and it looks fantastic. My problem with the huge areas (3V, EK, PdS, Paradiski, etc.) is that I can't begin to cover half of them in a week which always leaves me feeling as if I've missed something. It's partly that and partly the accommodation situation that I've steered away from France in favour of Austria and Italy in the last 5 years and chosen resorts I can pretty much cover in a week. I guess it wouldn't be easy for me to find suitable accommodation (single low-mid cost catered hotel room) in Espace Diamant and anyway, I'm booked for La Thuile next season (as least that gives me an opportunity to ski over in to France, I feel I have neglected France as I last went in 2000).
latest report
Quote:

I'd say your choice of ski school/instructor is far more important than choice of resort if you are trying to rebuild confidence.

I'd agree 100% with that. You couldn't do better than lesson with Charlotte (easiski) though Les Deux Alpes would not normally spring to mind in that context. In Les Saisies the only sensible choice would be private lessons (and I could recommend an excellent instructor or two, but not really in the same class as Charlotte). Mitchell, I don't think your concern about costs is petty at all. Having an apartment close enough to go back there for lunch is the key money saver, to my mind. When we skied with the kids we never, ever, bought proper lunch on the mountain. They filled up on the chalet breakfast, had some muesli/Mars bars and made do till chalet tea. They had some "pocket money" for the week and if they chose to spend it on a plate of chips and a Coke, that was their choice. Nowadays with just two of us to pay for we treat ourselves to a modest lunch on the mountain about once a fortnight!

As a guide, vin chaud in Les Saisies varies between 2.80 and 3.20 depending on choice of establishment. queen bodecia, I think you're right about the difficulty of finding the right accommodation because it's a fairly relentlessly "family" oriented area. Sad
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Having an apartment close enough to go back there for lunch is the key money saver, to my mind.
Having done that for pretty much the first time this year, I absolutely agree.
ski holidays
pam w, I hope we make it too as I have been glued to researching it on the net and think it would be totally perfect for me!!
My french isn't too bad so should be ok with the lack of english voices Laughing
Mr bobblehat has not always been a fan of the french until this season when the English were in the minority in Club Med at Les Arcs when he actually said " they're ok I actually quite like them !!! " I nearly fell off my chair and could have injured myself for the rest of the week Laughing

I prefer off the beaten track type places so seally want to go there before it becomes too well known.

Once I have done some delving into accommodation I may pm you to find out what the location is really like - hope that is ok ??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well Pam W I think I might just go for Les Saisies, it does seem to suit the bill perfect. My only reservations is that I was persuaded by the "hype" of Niederau built up on another forum and even though I had seen the piste map and knew it was small, I just hadnt realised how small and how limiting it was. But lessons were learned and it was good for some reasons. Ideal for my children learning to ski and the prices werent too bad in resort.

So I did think I had made my mind up with Belle Plagne, then I thought hey maybe Chamrousse, but I really think that I have made my mind up for Les Saisies. We havent been to France before and our French only stretches as far as bonjour and je m'apelle Polo99! so I am hoping we wont struggle too much, on saying that we didnt do much conversing with the locals in Austria.

Ok so there is me and hubby and 2 kids age 9 & 10, ideally looking for a 2 bedroomed apartment for approx 500 euro a week that is very close to the slopes.

We will be hiring a car from the airport but was just wondering which is the closest airport to it? What is there to do in Les Saisies during the evening ie swimming pools. We can go anytime but we dont want to go during school holidays. when is the best time to go? we didnt really want to go too early in January because I dont want it to be too cold for the kids, I was thinking more of March. I wanted to avoid end of Feb for school hols then I think French schools have their hols a week after. What is snow record like for about mid March? or maybe early Feb? what do you think? have you noticed when the slopes are the quietest? also what are the opening and closing times for the lifts? are they mainly drag lifts or chair lift, if they are chair lift are they mainly 4 man? or 2 man?

sorry for so many questions
latest report
polo99, your questions about the lifts are all answered on the various websites, including the Les Saisies website and the Espace Diament website. The piste map also distinguishes between draglifts (teleski) and chairlifts (telesiege). Most of the chairs are 4 man, but there are a couple of 6 man chairs, at least one 2 man chair, and one (at least) 3 man. To get round all the blue runs in the Espace Diamant you need to be happy to cope with some quite long, and quite steep, draglifts but within Les Saisies itself the only fierce drag serves a couple of red runs and a black run. It's easily avoided and clearly signposted as difficult before you commit yourself to going down there.

The French school hols are over 4 weeks - the last three in Feb and the first in March. Mid March is ideal from the point of view of weather (decently longer days) but mid/end January is quieter and cheaper. If you are going to go DIY and book your own apartment you will find that none of the French letting agencies start thinking about next winter for another few months. The Les Saisies website has links to a range of accommodation - you'd need to look in around July. For 500 euros you might struggle to find a central two-bedroom apartment - certainly you won't get a high-spec development with a pool, for that price. YOu can look in the Erna Low catalogue to get an idea of prices for some of the fancier apartments around, but you should be able to find something for the family, very close to the slopes, out of school hols. The apartments called "Grand Mont" might be a good bet - a few different buildings, but all very central, and not grand, so very affordable.

There is nothing much to do in the evenings, frankly. Swimming pool if you rent in a development with a pool, or in the 3* Hotel, but not otherwise. There's a floodlit piste in the centre, a few evenings a week. There are plenty of restaurants and bars, but it's a family resort and very quiet after 10pm. There is rumoured to be a night club somewhere, but I've never been there. One of the bars has live music some evenings. Mostly people eat, have a drink or two, then go to bed early! The lifts open at 9 am all season but the closing times get a bit later as the season wears on and the nights are lighter. Between 4.15 and 5.15, depending on the lift and time of year - much like other resorts.

You need to be a bit independent to go somewhere like Les Saisies. There's a very good tourist office, where the girls are very helpful and speak English. People in the village are improving their English, with more Anglophone visitors but typical visitors are eithe French, Belgian, or Dutch and so they all speak French! It's not a place where you march in somewhere and speak English and assume people will understand you. In most restaurants staff will be able to take orders in English providing you speak slowly and are prepared not to be 100% understood all the time. The lift pass office in the middle of town will generally be able to cope with carefully-spoken English, but some of the outlying ones not - this is not "Brit tourist territory", but a resort which is still overwhelmingly Francophone - which is one reason why we like it! If you fancy France, but would like somewhere more accustomed to British visitors, and where just about everybody you deal with speaks English, you'd be better off in one of the resorts on the British tour operators lists - Flaine, for example, or Alpe D'Huez, where there are plenty of gentle slopes.

Outside school hols you will have no problem with crowded slopes, or lifts. Middle/late January it's pretty deserted,especially once away from the resort centre. There are loads of ski hire places.

The nearest airport is strictly speaking Chambery but Geneva is often more practical - around 1.5 - 2 hours depending on the state of the roads and there are very frequent flights to Geneva. You'd need to have snowchains (and ideally snowtyres too) but in practice the roads are kept in good state and chains are only required after fresh snowfall (which, of course, you always hope to have!).
snow report
Hi
I have been doing some more research and I am torn between leogang and les saisies. But after looking into apartments further, I have been looking at the area of notre dame bellecombe. Circumstances have now changed and my brother and sister in law are thinking about coming with their 2 kids (3&9). They will definitley need ski school so I am just a bit worried about the lack of English that has been pointed out. Does this apply to ski school? also do you think notre dame is a better place to stay? are there more self catering accomodation with access to more lifts on doorstep to get us 1 weekers going?
thanks in advance
snow report
There is a snowhead, Nads, who has apartments in Leogang, as mentioned, for example, in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1180604&highlight=leogang#1180604.
latest report
Quote:

They will definitley need ski school so I am just a bit worried about the lack of English that has been pointed out. Does this apply to ski school? also do you think notre dame is a better place to stay? are there more self catering accomodation with access to more lifts on doorstep to get us 1 weekers going?

English wouldn't be a problem for private lessons, but it would for groups - even if the instructor speaks English, if you are just one or two anglophones in a French group (which would be likely) it might be a bit difficult. But private lessons are probably better anyway, and are very reasonably priced.

Les Saisies would be a better place for very early skiers than Notre Dame de Bellecombe - there are enormous numbers of self catering places right near the lifts, the slopes are more gentle and the snow record is better. Also, the main Les Saisies village has everything within easy reach of everywhere else - very useful for meeting kids from ski school, meeting friends for lunch etc. N D de B (which is charming, and has some terrific skiing) is more complicated, with three different levels. I don't know Leogang, so can't say how it would compare, but looking at the piste map, it's quite a hike to get out of the fairly limited local area. Of the three areas, Les Saisies would give you a lot more lifts and easy blues "on your doorstep".

If your friends are first timers it might be worth looking at a TO package - there's a chance you might find yourself spending a lot of time organising their holiday, and helping them, otherwise.
snow report
hold that thought about Leogang. I have just been put off by the fact that you have to take a 13 min cable car ride up the mountain. It would therefore be imperative to have an apartment opposite the cable car which also leads more questions with what the queues are gonna be like because everyone will be going there. I would prefer going somewher there are a few different ways you can get onto different lifts that will take you up to the peak without everyone queueing for the same thing.
ski holidays
thanks for your replies. Pam I did have a look at les saisies apartments but they seemed to be really small and quite costly, that is why i started looking at other areas. I really dont fancy the kids having to sleep on a sofa bed or having to keep making up a bed that we will be spending most of our time living around. Also it is difficult to tell from the apartments description how far they are away from the ski lift.

I think with broth and sis in law what i have said is to book a private tutor for the 4 of them including the 3 year old. if the 3 year old doesnt like it then they will take it in turns on alternate days to look after him. ie monday brother looks after and sis skis, tues sis looks after him and brother skis. do you have any idea how much private tuition is?

I still really fancy les saisies but like I say the accomodation cost is really off putting for value for money. but i am still looking lol

thanks
ski holidays
From my experience most resorts will have some cruisy blue but the one to beat in my book is Valmorel

Ifyouski classified it as

Beginner: 72%
Intermediate: 18%
Expert: 10%

Neilson's verdict is

Beginners Skiing Excellent
Intermediate Skiing Very Good
Advanced Skiing Good

The above are major skiing TO information. The following are my own experience

(1) It is the only skiing resort where the largest green runs are to be found. Most skiing resorts are dominated by the red runs. Valorel is dominated by the blue and green runs. If you are a beginner you are in the majority here.

(2) My longest video recording by following the back of the wife is over 7 minutes. It took place in a green run in Valmorel. I was holding a camera, with the video mode on, skiing behind the wife all the way along the green run Le Soleil from top of Rocher Blanc lift to St Francis Long Champ. If I could hold a camera and ski 7 minutes that should tell how cruisy the piste run was.

(3) Valmorel has 152km piste. That is same size as Tignes without Val D, La Rosiere+La Thuile combined or Zermatt without Cervinia.

(4) It is very long. The domain ski end to end points from Valmrel to St Francis and back took us the whole day. St Francis Long Champ is a big resort in its own right. It is the second last stop from Valmorel. St Francis is true end of the ski run from Valmorel.

Where is Valmorel? It is in the same Tarentaise valley of Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thoren, Les Menuires, La Plagne, Les Arcs, La Rosiere, Ste Foy, Tignes and Val D'Isere where 1600km piste is to be found.

Valorel is the first skiing resort in that valley and near the road juction to Val Thoren of the 3 Vallees.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 8-06-09 12:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
polo99, the Les Saisies website has links to the ski schools, with all the tuition prices set out. At the moment they won't have their prices for next season - the resort is pretty well closed until the school holidays - but this year's prices will give you a good idea; they won't go up much.

I'm really not too sure what you mean by saying the apartments are all small. Some are small, some are big - but the big ones are more expensive, naturally. What, precisely, are you looking for? (ie, do you want a couple of 2 bedroom apartments?). I agree it's much nicer not to have anyone sleeping in the sitting room if possible but of course a bigger apartment will generally cost you more.

as for location, many of the accommodation sites have maps of the station so you can identify location - e.g. at http://www.lessaisies-alm.net/plandelastation.php

you can also search for apartments in terms of the number of beds they offer (if you want two bedrooms you'll need to search for 6/7 beds, obviously). And you can find out how close they are to lifts - though anything in the centre of Les Saisies will be pretty close to lifts, actually, certainly easy walking distance.

However, French agencies will only be starting on rentals for next winter in the next few months - right now they're busy with summer rentals. As just one of many examples (which you can link to from the les saisies website) look at http://www.grand-mont.com/us/index.htm

If you look at the map link there, it will show you very clearly where all the different apartment blocks are. I'm really not too sure why you're having such problems getting to grips with the layout of the station - have you searched through these websites?

As for price, I am pretty sure that you will find accommodation in Les Saisies is cheaper, overall, than in the big French stations but of course, at current exchange rates, nowhere in euroland is exactly cheap! Can you give me an example of the "small and expensive" ones you've found - then perhaps I'll be able to explain why. Also, remind me when you are going. If it's school holidays, then everywhere is going to be expensive.

I would also reiterate what I said earlier, that Les Saisies is not a good destination for people who speak no French. You don't need to be fluent, by any means (I'm certainly not) but a "holiday level" ability, and a willingness to "have a go" is really useful. One of my visitors failed to book a table for dinner because he didn't have the wit even to hold four fingers up to indicate the number of people and write "1930" on a bit of paper. rolling eyes That was in Bisanne 1500 though - in the main village the restaurants will have someone who speaks a bit of English. But you do need to make an effort to keep it simple, and speak more slowly and carefully; when people march round the village speaking rapidly in the kind of English they'd use in Marks and Spencers in Milton Keynes they get nowhere.

I'd say if you don't speak enough French to puzzle your way round the accommodation websites which don't have an English version, you won't be too happy in Les Saisies. It's well off the beaten UK tourist track!
snow report
polo99, Based on your need for an excellent ski school with good spoken English, the best we have come across especially for young children is Prosneige in Val Thorens. Although a large resort there are some lovely 'easy' runs as well as more difficult areas for you as you progress in your lessons with Prosneige. Very Happy
A search of snowHeads brings up others reccomending Prosneige especially for children as well.
http://www.prosneige.fr/en/
snow conditions
thanks for your replies. I am not really sure what qualifies as a children's resort or what makes it so. As said, we dont tend to do anything at night time and will only be skiing through the day. It would be nice to do some night sledging but not too bothered whether it is kid friendly (or what that means). the main criteria for us is

1. must have lots of easy runs. we could probably manage the odd red but dont want anything too taxing. was totally put off by last years holiday to Niederau.
2. must be able to book apaprtment close or on ski slope, or at least be able to leave skis and boots at bottom of ski run.
3. we do not want to have to get a ski bus anywhere
4. would like to link up with other areas, really for variety more than anything else.
5. somewhere that has nice scenery, although not too bothered, as long as it doesnt feel like we are skiing on the moon.
6. dont really want anywhere there is a risk of skiing over the edge of a mountain. - i forgot to ask that about the diamant area.
7. we will not be taking ski lessons so can pretty much keep ourselves to ourselves only need to ask for the ski passes. (althogh if brother and sister and law go it will definitly throw a curve ball and we may need to rethink) I think if they go we might leave les saisies till the year after so they at least have 1 week under their belt.
Pam I will try and give you a link to the ones i come across that were a bit pricey for what they were.
ski holidays
polo99, NO.5) Discounts Val Thorens Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy