Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for a resort with loads of cruisy blues

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

My hubby and 2 kids are looking for a resort that offers wide cruisy runs, that are good for confidence building, We all have a weeks skiing under our belt and at a push could take on a red run, but we are mainly looking for cruising and not challenging. We dont really need much apres ski, maybe somewhere we can take the kids tobogganing or swimming during the evening. Not intending on going to any pubs. We hope to go self catering and would prefer somewhere that was ski in ski out, although not essentail as long as there is a ski/boot locker at the bottom of slopes so we dont have to do much walking in our ski boots. or carry skis anywhere as me and hubby end up having to hump kids skis too!

We are thinking about going in March and taking kids out of school. we are looking for a large ski resort that links up with other areas. We went to Niederau last year for our first holiday and found it too small and a bit too challenging and not enough cruisy runs. so we know what we dont want.

Some suggestions that I have had are Flaine and Belle Plagne. The only thing that worries me is the cost of food and drink in France and also whether the runs will be much the same as there are no trees? correct me if i am wrong. Would consider something similar in Austria but not really sure what i was looking for. Was considering Soll but hubby does not want to have to get a ski bus to the gondola, he wants the lifts to be within a few mins or ski in ski out.

Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia? Only skied it on a day from Zermatt - but I think it might meet your needs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Passo Tonale, Italy. High, Snow Sure, Cheap, some fantastic easy blues. Now linked to tree lined Ponte di Legno. Alot of door step ski.

Soll would also be good though, the lack of doorstep skiing is not a prob.

France is a total rip off, on your 2nd week you don't need the mega resorts of France anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99, Selva might well suit you, depending on which accommodation.

There are plenty of decent blues, plus not too difficult reds. And a lot (but not all) of the accommodation is close to the lifts.

I'm not sure what the availability of Self Catering is there though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

France is a total rip off, on your 2nd week you don't need the mega resorts of France anyway.

The OP didn't say they wanted a mega resort, just something a bit bigger than Niederau (which I don't know but gather it's very small indeed).

You might like to consider a small French resort such as Les Saisies, where there is plenty of confidence-building skiing and any number of apartments - for all budgets - which are just a couple of yards from the slopes and a range of restaurants and bars. Quite reasonable prices. No public swimming pool, but three of the more upmarket apartment developments have their own. Toboganning and evening floodlit skiing are available.

Les Saisies does "link up with other areas" with 185kms of skiing in all throughout the Espace Diament. The blue runs in Les Saisies are mostly wide and fairly easy. There are some blue runs in the wider area which would be a bit challenging for all but the boldest second week skiers but I think that's true of any ski area. There are not many tree-lined runs in Les Saisies but there are some very nice runs in Crest Voland and the Arly Valley (linked) below the tree line which are useful on days when the visibility is poor, or it's cold and windy. In March, after the first week (which is still French half term holidays) the slopes would be quiet and lift queues a rarity.

I'm sure there are many resorts in Austria which would also fit the bill, and there are certainly others in France - it's just not too helpful to make sweeping statements dismissing the whole of a country on the experience of a handful of resorts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

French non-mega resorts:

Chamrousse
Villard de Lans
Alpe de Grand Serre
Le Corbier
Montgenevre
Crest Voland
Notre Dame de Bellecombe
Cauterets
St Lary
Vars

............. I could go on but I really haven't got all day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of choice in Austria and Italy. I have been to Passo Tonale mentioned by a previous poster. It's definitely an easy 'cruisy' resort and most of the accommodation is hotel-based (no need to shop, cook and clean!) and within minutes of the lifts. The only downside really is that it's a small resort and there's not much else to do other than ski. Some of the larger hotels have pools/leisure complexes.

The other resort I've been to which might suit you is Kitzbuhel. You'd need accommodation up by the Hahnenkamm to avoid having to use the bus, but there are equipment lockers at the base station so you don't have to carry all your gear around. There are loads of easy cruisy runs and there's a link to Ski Welt too if you buy the extended lift pass. It's a sizeable and very picturesque town with lots to do off the slopes, but still very easy on a budget and again, mostly hotel accommodation.

As for France, it's a long time since I've been as it's very hard to find what I want accommodation-wise, but plenty of suggestions here. One thing I would say is unless you are prepared to shop and cook for yourselves, it might be cheaper to opt for chalet or hotel accommodation than to stay in a self-catering apartment and eat out every night.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo99, Morillon may be a good choice - there are plenty of wide cruising runs, certainly enough for your experience, but also a great 6km run (Marvel) which goes through trees, bends and turns and is a green all the way (I think parts of it would be a blue in other resorts) - our children loved Marvel, and the rest of the area, as did we more experienced skiers. There is a Jam Park (bumps and hills - great fun!). It's part of the Grand Massif, so you'd also have the option of skiing Samoens and Les Carroz amongst other areas, on one pass, and easily from any of the start points.

Several Pyrenees resorts such as Cauterets, Les Angles and Font Romeu may also be good - cheaper than the Alps, smaller area, great snow record. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Chamrousse
Villard de Lans
Alpe de Grand Serre
Le Corbier
Montgenevre
Crest Voland
Notre Dame de Bellecombe
Cauterets
St Lary
Vars

Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Crest Voland are both part of the linked "Espace Diamant" area which also includes Les Saisies and Praz sur Arly. LS is the most snow-sure centre to be based in, with easy access to the whole area - also probably has more ski in/out accomm in the midst of the easiest skiing. the skiing in ND de B is superb, but more challenging and much of it probably a bit stiff for a second weeker. Skiing wise Crest Voland would suit you very well, but it's less central for exploring the area and also has less of a village centre - it's charming, but a bit strung-out.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Would consider something similar in Austria but not really sure what i was looking for. Was considering Soll but hubby does not want to have to get a ski bus to the gondola, he wants the lifts to be within a few mins or ski in ski out.

Would definitely recommend Austria. Achingly beautiful resorts and so friendly with it. Went to the Amade region (massive ski area with 25 resorts, 860km of immaculately groomed pistes ...all on one pass - terrific value). Not well known like the Tirol region (St Anton, Kitzbuhel etc) and all the better for it.
Alpendorf is not a massive ski resort but the runs are great and you can ski on to wagrain and then Flachau (world cup destination) without needing to take off your skis or board.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want plenty of cruisey blues and self catering, then Tignes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't have thought a second week family is going to be able to do justice to Tignes. And it can be quite an intimidating environment - loads of really good skiers and boarders and often pretty busy pistes, even out of school holidays. Can be very bleak in less than good weather. And not noted for its tree skiing. I think there are a lot of better options for the OP.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Belle Plagne would be perfect as would Chamrousse. Both are proper ski in ski out resorts with plenty of blue runs .
Chamrousse would be cheaper and more French. I have done both with young children.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belle Plagne is definitily a resort on my short list, as is Chamrousse. I had also shortlisted Leogang but not sure if you can ski to saalbach and how difficult the run is to it. Is it an easy type resort. So firstly let me say thanks for all your replies and in response to those I have done a little bit of research and come up with the following. please correct me if i am wrong. and advice welcome..

Stevekirby I hadnt really considered Tignes as I wanted somewher that had some tree lined skiing and had heard that it was a bit like skiingon the moon. not sure how true that is though.

vman checked out alpendorf but there seem to be too many red runs and the main run to the vilage looks like a red. not sure if it would suit what we were looking for

achilles. checked cervinia piste map and again there doesnt seem to be too many blues or look like it links up to the hotels below very well

johnboy passo tonale - i couldnt find a decent piste map for passo, but I think it might better suit intermediate types rather than us beginners

alex - i really like the look of selva. do you think it is possible to ski back to the village (proably gardena) down the red? are they easy reds? is there realy a blue run that goes through the village?

Pamw - I think Les saises looks too small a resort, with limited amount of blue runs and also there doesnt seem to look like too much ski in ski out. how far are sc accomodation from easy slopes?

anniepen - morillon - I have already researched this and have heard that if the weather is not goo links up to flaine would be closed I also heard that the snow reports are better with better skiing in flaine
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo99 wrote:
I had also shortlisted Leogang but not sure if you can ski to saalbach and how difficult the run is to it.
You can indeed, and on from there to Hinterglemm, across the valley to the other side, back along to Saalbach, back across and up to the top of Leogang/Saalbach and back home to Leogang. Very Happy It's a nice circuit with several options to cut bits off it to save time or miss bits out entirely.
The long blue from the top back down to Leogang looks especially good for beginners/improvers. The run down in the opposite direction to Saalbach is a bit more fiddly and might include some red sections (from memory).
snow report
polo99 wrote:
anniepen - morillon - I have already researched this and have heard that if the weather is not goo links up to flaine would be closed I also heard that the snow reports are better with better skiing in flaine

For a group with just a couple of weeks skiing, I wouldn't let the possibility of not being able to get to Flaine, put you off. There is plenty of skiing of the type you are looking for, across the other linked resorts. The snow record across the Grand Massif, is pretty good, and 'better skiing in Flaine' - depends what you are looking for, but for what would appear to be your needs, not sure Flaine would be 'better' Puzzled

Good luck with the research - it's definitely the right thing to do, rather than, as we often hear on here "I've booked such and such and wonder if it's suitable" - you've got it the right way round Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I think Les saises looks too small a resort, with limited amount of blue runs and also there doesnt seem to look like too much ski in ski out. how far are sc accomodation from easy slopes?

Not too sure how you reached that conclusion. Have you seen a piste map? http://www.espacediamant.com/fr/espace-diamant-domaine.asp A more cogent criticism of the area is that there are far too many blue runs and not enough really challenging skiing. The town is certainly quite small, but that means that the large majority of the accommodation is very close to the slopes - our apartment is approximately 40 metres from the piste. And although the town is small the ski area isn't - I would be seriously impressed by any second week skier who could ski all the green, blue or easier red runs in the Espace Diamant in a week.
The photo on the right shows the main village from one of the gentle wide blue slopes on Mont Bisanne. The vast majority of the accommodation in the village gives very easy access to that area. The top left picture shows Mont Bisanne from the bottom. The top right is our apartment development from the chair lift. It's in a "satellite" and very quiet - I would not recommend it for a family that is looking for evening entertainment because there isn't any, which is the way we like it.
wink
latest report
Thanks for the photos pam. Can you ski from les saises to Mont Rond or Mont Lachat or are they only connectable by bus? If they are connectable by ski lifts are they skiable ie blues or greens or at a push we could do reds, but dont like them too much, too hairy! lol saying that after skiing Red 23 in Niederau, it was like skiing a black!

Annie I will definitly look into it again. Grand massif has definiitly come up a few times. I made the mistake last year of booking Niederau and dont intend making the mistake again. it was just too small. In all there were only 3 runs at the bottom of the gondola and 3 runs at the top of the gondola and it became a little bit boring. but saying that, the fact that i knew where the kids were nearly all the time was a definite plus. We learned a lot from our last holiday. Also we learned that we will never ski during school holidays! lol

Fenlandskier - can this all be done in one day? do you know how close accomodation in Leogang is to lifts?
snow report
Quote:

Can you ski from les saises to Mont Rond or Mont Lachat or are they only connectable by bus?

The entire Espace Diamant is skiable from Les Saisies. From 50 metres from my chalet I can ski every run in the area without taking my skis off (providing I don't want to go to bed, or eat, for a few days). Crest Voland (Mont Lachat) is reached either down a long and very beautiful green track (requires a bit of poling/skating at the beginning) or down a not-too-tricky Red. Mont Rond is reachable entirely on straightforward blue/green runs too. But even within Les Saisies itself there are 23 blue pistes...
snow report
polo99, off the top of my head - La Rosiere - we were there for the first time just before Easter. There seemed to be lots of cruisy blues and more on the La Thuile side, with easy reds too. I remember thinking that it would be a good place to learn and build confidence.

I see you mention that France has no trees Puzzled Well there aren't that many in La Rosiere but there are other places already mentioned above ie Morillon or Les Carroz.

We stayed here, a few mins out of the main village, but ski in/out even at Easter

http://www.ernalow.co.uk/accommodation-overview.aspx?qs=productid_e_73505
(we didn't go with Erna Low, but had page handy)
Should meet most of your requirements.
ski holidays
polo99 wrote:

alex - i really like the look of selva. do you think it is possible to ski back to the village (proably gardena) down the red? are they easy reds? is there realy a blue run that goes through the village?

Quite a lot of the reds are easy, yes, although I'm notr sure about teh one into the village itself.

There are actually several linked villages, with runs back to all of them.

I must admit, I haven't actually stayed in Selva myself, I stayed in Campitello which is the next village around anti-clockwise. But you can very easily ski between the two, using almost entirely blues, and I did so several times. I just though Selva was better than Campitello for the type of short access to the slopes you are looking for.
snow report
Get some decent lessons.
snow report
Another vote for Cervinia.
ski holidays
I was disappointed with Cervinia. The ski area is not great and you really need the wind/snow shield on the chair lifts. Main runs are more red than blue. I think that somewhere in the Grand Massif would be better, and I enjoyed St. Gervais, plenty of blue there.
ski holidays
La Plagne might be worth a look.
snow report
welshskier wrote:
I think that somewhere in the Grand Massif would be better, and I enjoyed St. Gervais, plenty of blue there.

I really like St Gervais as a town (been in the summer) and have had lots of very happy clients ski there - planning to go myself in January Very Happy - but I don't think the OP will find much ski in/out choice, which does seem a major requirement. Puzzled
latest report
definetly cervina. cruisy blues all the way!
snow conditions
As 2nd week skiers I'd still be looking at smaller resorts or at least places where the tour operators don't go en masse - like Les Saisies for example, where I would have thought that 185km was ample. There seems little value (to me at least) in paying premium lift pass prices for somewhere like La Plagne when with the best will in the world you can only hope to use a fraction of the terrain and of course the less well known, the less crowded the slopes, the shorter the queues, the lower prices are in general etc etc. though of course you have to take the risk as to 'what colour blue a blue is etc unless someone on here can give you the low down.

But in terms of where we've had particularly successful holidays (or more!) in recent years. (All French I'm afraid and all 'farly' mainstream)

Morillon, though better known would also not be a bad choice. probably better than Flaine as a family destination. The Les Esserts (1100) bit has a fair bit of ski in/out accommodation and as Anniepen, says, I wouldn't be in the least bit worried about the Flaine link. We spent half term there over 3 years when "The flying Bogee" who can 'ski a bit' was 6 - 9 and only went over to Flaine once or twice and you can get the Massif pass and extend it for a day or two in Flaine if you really want to.

Difficult for me to be objective about St Gervais, having just spent 5 months there and loved every minute. (really much change my 'location' now we're back in the UK!) It certainly doesn't qualify as small with 450km of slopes on the Mont Evasion pass (including Les Contamines for which sensibly a car is useful) It would definitely tick the boxes in terms of what you say you're looking for as regards the skiing - there's a lot of it, but challenge is certainly something you seek out rather than are served up on a plate. Anniepen, is right there isn't a massive selection of ski in/out accommodation, some at Le Bettex, but even then you have to be very careful as even there, more is ski in rather than ski out. But there are some apartments right at the base of the main gondola. Le Panorama and Chatelain spring to mind. You can hire skis and boots and leave them overnight with these guys -http://www.skiloc.com/uk/index.asp which sorts out the walking in ski boots/carrying skis problems

In March, if this year is anything to go by it is also gloriously free of crowds. Indeed, even at half term it had 'half the volume' of traffic that Flaine was 'enjoying' in the same week and if accommodation is well picked, the ski bus is almost more convenient as not.

We stayed in this apartment http://www.homelidays.com/saint-gervais/appartement182131fr1.htm It is English owned and the ski bus stops opposite and drops you back outside the building front door. May be a bit big for your needs though - which makes a change in French ski apartments!

Downside is that sledging slopes and swimming pools are in pretty short supply.

Another thought might be Le Grand Bornand. (Le Chinaillon) Smallish, but doesn't sound as small as Niederau, very pretty, very French, very friendly and a couple of years ago at least, very cheap, with the option of tacking on Le Clusaz if more miles are desired. Overall, slightly more challenging for a 2nd weeker than the other two if I remember correctly.

Basically there is loads out there fits the bill but I wouldn't be seduced by bigger/better known or even higher is necessarily always better.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
annie that certainly looks like a lovely apartment and if it wasnt a bus ride away it could even be a consideration. hubby has stipulated that he does not want to have to get a bus to the slopes. it doesnt have to be ski in ski out as long as there is a place at the gondola to leave our skis and boots.

On my shortlist at the minute I have Leogang, Saalbach, Belle Plagne, morillon, chamrousse, selva and les saises. I will also have another look at St Gervais. time to make a database I think! lol how sad!
ski holidays
polo99, Re: place at the gondola for skis/boots - There is at St Gervais mid-station! Hop on the bus (from this apartment - there are others which are a short walk) to the gondola, in normal shoes/boots, and pick up your equipment! Voila! The first morning is the only one you'll need to wear boots on the way out, and there is a ski hire shop very close to the gondola - another column on your spreadsheet, methinks Very Happy
ski holidays
polo99, I would echo everything that pam w has said about Les Saisies. I learnt to ski there and covered a lot of the area in that first week, including the red that she mentioned as an alternative access to Crest Voland as well as the long green that winds through the trees and is very beautiful. It's a lovely resort, very french, charming and friendly and I itch to get back there one day. Very Happy

edit: Oh and although this was 5 years ago, so things may have changed but I recall it being very reasonable too, lift pass and eating out etc (euro notwithstanding)
ski holidays
polo99,
A couple of points. One is that although I have not been to Niederau my wife has and I have seen the piste map as well. It really is exceptionally small by alpine ski resort standards. You do not need a large resort to get an awful lot more skiing than Niederau can offer. Lots of resorts that are not considered big will give plenty of variety of piste and views for someon on their second week. Very large ski areas like La Plagne and even Grand Massif if you get a full area pass can be quite intimidating in your second week. If you dion't know the type of reds that you may end up on.

A second point is that although March is generally very reliable time for snow in some years ac ombination of less snow and warm March weather mean that in some resorts lower runs can suffer badly and occasionally close. It is often worth waitung to see where has good conditions as inless you are going in the first week or one week is the pre Easter week it is usually straightforward to get somewhere late on.

Another suggestion if you want a good sized area is Montgenevre which has lots of cruisy runs nice blues a medium sized area of it's own and the possibility if you feel like it of very extensive furthur skiing in Italy. A lot of the acccomodation is close to lifts and some you can ski too I believe, it is also reasonably priced.
ski holidays
Quote:

it doesnt have to be ski in ski out as long as there is a place at the gondola to leave our skis and boots.

If you are going to leave boots anywhere I'd make sure it was in a heated room....

I can understand that for some people leaving skis up the mountain might be a good idea, but I'd have to see the place where you leave boots as cold and wet in the morning is one of skiing's worst crimes IMV...
snow conditions
Montgenevre, La Rosiere or Risoul are places I've been that would suit a 2nd week family holiday.
snow conditions
JT, at both Kitzbuhel last season and Courmayeur this season the storage at the lift stations had heated boot lockers. I'm finding I prefer this to ski in/ski out accommodation. It's quite nice to have a bit of a wander in comfortable boots at the beginning and end of each day and usually means the walk back to accommodation is punctuated with a few bar stops. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

If you are going to leave boots anywhere I'd make sure it was in a heated room...

seconded. If you don't have to carry skis, and are wearing ordinary shoes, carrying a boot bag over the shoulder is no hardship. People who leave their boots in cars overnight are mad!
latest report
Quote:

usually means the walk back to accommodation is punctuated with a few bar stops.

Laughing are you ever late for dinner?
snow report
Quote:

usually means the walk back to accommodation is punctuated with a few bar stops.

Laughing are you ever late for dinner?
snow report
pam w, Just want to say thank you for bringing Les Saisies to my attention.
As very new to skiing I always tend to go for the larger well known resorts ie Tignes which I loved but didn't really see anything of and Les Arcs which again for someone my standard -2 weeks skiing was a complete waste.
I had never heard of les Saisies until you mentioned it on here and it looks ideal - a traditional village rather than a concrete jungle and more than enough to keep me happy for a week on some nice cruisy blues and boost my confidence Laughing

Just two questions .... Can you recommend any hotels / catered chalets in the area ?? I have been checking out the net and all I can find is mainly self catering apartments or over priced "luxury hotels"
Is self catering the most popluar option - not adverse to that just like to have someone else do the cooking ..... then again i suppose i could make mr bobblehat do that Laughing

Is the resort as really as snow sure as the websites suggest ? We would probably be going late jan early feb

Any advice or tips you can give will be very much appreciated as would definately like to visit next season, otherwise it will be back to tignes
snow conditions
bobblehat wrote:
Is the resort as really as snow sure as the websites suggest ? We would probably be going late jan early feb

It's really pretty good: you'd be very unlucky not to have full coverage at that time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy