Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower DIN setting for indoors?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon wrote:
Indoor slopes are generally a type 1 environment, with type 2 for gates or bumps.
Not sure I'd agree with that. I ski on dry slopes with a heel at 10 toe at 9, which is about half down from what I ski on a mountain - which is pretty much the 3+ setting. I used to ski about a DIN lower than that but skis would come off if I did anything wrong - they were just a bit too marginal for safety and confidence.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski with mine the same on dry slope (racing) as I do on the mountain - tried turning them down a bit and if I tipped a gate with the ski then it just came straight off - resulting in many unflattering pics of me sliding down slopes face first Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
Indoor slopes are generally a type 1 environment, with type 2 for gates or bumps.
Not sure I'd agree with that. I ski on dry slopes with a heel at 10 toe at 9, which is about half down from what I ski on a mountain - which is pretty much the 3+ setting. I used to ski about a DIN lower than that but skis would come off if I did anything wrong - they were just a bit too marginal for safety and confidence.

First, dry slopes are very different to Indoor slopes, in that dry sloeps are very much more "grippy" than any snow surface.

And second, AIUI, you race a lot on dry slopes, which doesn't really fall under "generally" anyhow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry, should have qualified my post with the fact that I also leave them the same on the indoor snow (which was actually the point of the op Embarassed ). And in the post quoted, spyderjon did say 1 generally with 2 for gates or bumps, GrahamN and myself merely indicated we would think still 3+ for gates, seems relevant response.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vivski, I would agree with 3+ for gates too, if only so that you don't come out of them when you start.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
First, dry slopes are very different to Indoor slopes, in that dry sloeps are very much more "grippy" than any snow surface.

Yes dry slopes are different to indoor, but are fairly similar in pitch length and width - and that restricted area is what would cause you to keep speeds down, and maybe go for a lower DIN. But to say that dry is more grippy than any snow surface just tells me you've not done much on dry (or indoor) - quite the reverse applies: edge hold/grip is way worse on dry than indoor snow, but there is more running friction so you go a bit slower. And yes, once you get anywhere close to taking a gate (as cited by spyderjon) at any kind of speed (dry, indoor or outdoor) you want to be pretty much at 3+.
snow report
 monster77
monster77
spyderjon wrote:

I would hope that most instructors are above type 2 even on artificial slopes be they dendex or snow, indoor or out. A good dynamic skier can get huge forces going through a ski no matter where they are skiing. Your once a week per season holiday skier may never reach type 3.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
i wound mine down 2 points last night and promptly came out, being the first instructor to fall at the dome!! not great in front of 50 colleagues on your first night .

And very entertaining it was too! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
i wound mine down 2 points last night and promptly came out, being the first instructor to fall at the dome!! not great in front of 50 colleagues on your first night Toofy Grin

Nothing like making a great first impression, except yours was a 6'3'' crater half way down the slope. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Yes dry slopes are different to indoor, but are fairly similar in pitch length and width - and that restricted area is what would cause you to keep speeds down, and maybe go for a lower DIN. But to say that dry is more grippy than any snow surface just tells me you've not done much on dry (or indoor) - quite the reverse applies: edge hold/grip is way worse on dry than indoor snow, but there is more running friction so you go a bit slower. And yes, once you get anywhere close to taking a gate (as cited by spyderjon) at any kind of speed (dry, indoor or outdoor) you want to be pretty much at 3+.

I didn't mean edge hold, perhaps "grippy" was the wrong term to use. I meant that there is more resistance to sliding/skidding. So at a given speed, if you are skidding the turns, there will be more sideways force on the ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, please give me some credit.... 6' 4" crater Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, err, being less "grippy" there's less resistance on dry so less sideways force...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
alex_heney, err, being less "grippy" there's less resistance on dry so less sideways force...

If it were less grippy, that would be true.

My experience, while fairly limited, is very much otherwise.

As is that of everybody else I have ever spoken to on the subject. The first thing you notice when skiing on snow after having skiied on dry slopes is how much more easily you slide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh you stupid argumentative tosser. If you had the faintest idea what tosh you're talking you'd shut up. "So at a given speed, if you are skidding the turns," then you shouldn't be anywhere near a gate - which is where this diversion started. There's no reason why you shouldn't have a 3+ setting on either a dry or indoors slope - probably more reason as there's bu%%er all other than gates and bumps to make a limited space interesting. Fine, turn them down if you expect to be doing nothing other that nursemaiding newbies. My experience is that it's way easier to get sideways grip on indoor snow than on a dry slope, you can easily go faster, and you get ruts too. So if skiing for yourself then there's not much reason to turn them down. I don't when I ski in snowdomes, neither does rjs (who's probably done the most indoor skiing of all of us) and the skis come off when they need to. So stop being a prick and do the rest of us a favour. rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy