Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower DIN setting for indoors?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone reduce their DIN setting when skiing indoors? I haven't given it much thought before as I haven't skied that much in snowdomes. Beginning to wonder if I should reduce my bindings from the 9 I normally ski on?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On first thought , why would you? Are the kinds of fall you might encounter going to be different in the sense of the forces involved. What made you wonder?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ccl, much lower speeds involved when indoors, therefore less forces can be applied to the bindings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I take the point about lower speeds, but from the perspective of a blanket suggestion that DIN should be lower indoors because of this I suppose it depends on how good a skier you actually are. Now I might agree that I could be going faster outdoors than I am liable to do inside, but that wouldn't have been the case 18 mths ago. Also, when you are on the piste on a DIN of 9 there must be loads of times when you are going no faster than you would in a snowdome - particularly if you are instructing a beginner - if you followed your suggestion it would suggest that it would be a good idea to back off your bindings in that situation too, do you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
Also, when you are on the piste on a DIN of 9 there must be loads of times when you are going no faster than you would in a snowdome - particularly if you are instructing a beginner - if you followed your suggestion it would suggest that it would be a good idea to back off your bindings in that situation too, do you?

No, but mainly because it seems like a lot of hassle to be constantly changing DIN settings. I have my DIN settings up 1 or 1.5 above the charts because I found I was occasionally getting released when I didn't want to (mainly when skiing quickly). Maybe I should pull them down to where the chart puts me?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, You are an instructor, why would you want to fall over ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, You are an instructor, why would you want to fall over ?

I rarely want to, but sometimes I do Wink

Will be free skiing and doing a bit of training from time to time, so more likely to fall over then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not something I'd really think about, but it's a reasonable thought - the big thing for me in the situation is there's literally no penalty for falling unlike a real mountain, so you can run your dins as low as you possibly can so you have a lot more chance of releasing on slow twisting falls.

Megamum - the difference is you can't go for a freeski or ski anything challenging in a snowdome - doing it on a mountain runs the risk you'll accidentally go for a run without putting your DIN back to normal, where releasing is really bad, and lose a ski/potentially hurt yourself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, have you had the binding release tested to make sure that when they are set to 9 they release at 9? I only set mine at 7 never had a pre release. (May be once but it all happend so fast I dont know if the ski released before or after impact). I am skiing faster and better over the last 3 trips so I might look at increasing it a little now (there may be a too many chips factor involved in the need to increase it too Shocked ).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RPF, yes, some of my skis been put on a testing rig and calibrated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I wouldn't have thought so if you're happy with how they're set now. I'd have thought the time you're most likely to fall indoors is when you're doing gate training, and you wouldn't want to reduce them for that anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thinking about it some more, if you're only +1.5 over recommended then perhaps it's not worth cranking them down, especially if you're doing stuff like gate training (didn't even know you could do that indoors!). I have my dins a fair bit higher these days after some rough prereleases in close enough no-fall zones, so I'd definitely ease back off but if you're not too high up then there's probably not much point.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ski around DIN 9... and wouldn't want that setting goofing around in a dome. That said, one of my skis was dragged off at DIN 7 just by hitting a hard patch at MK... Shocked Shocked

I think I needed to get my set-up checked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Does anyone reduce their DIN setting when skiing indoors? I haven't given it much thought before as I haven't skied that much in snowdomes. Beginning to wonder if I should reduce my bindings from the 9 I normally ski on?

I'd say it's probably a good idea, other than being a pain. I'd prefer them to come off if need be, and the speed indoors will be lower. Like you I've upped my setting a little over time following the occasional pre release, but those circumstances \ conditions are unlikely to occur indoors.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never thought about it before, but I think it's a good idea. If you never pre-release at DIN 9 when hammering it outside, it ain't going to happen indoors. I'd try going down to 7 and see if they fall off. Nothing to lose.
snow conditions
not sure if it is a good idea... I did this on the dry slope and came out a couple times when skiing backwards and it was "interesting" going on one ski backwards.... I would think you will be doing a fair amount of backwards ploughs so i personally would leave em as is.

I keep em on the same as outdoors and never had a ski come off at MK (have fallen a few times though!! )

you could make a case for lowering em in the gates when starting out though...
ski holidays
rob@rar, I lower them by 1. I reckon that indoors I have a lesser risk of pre-release because I apply lesser forces to the skis.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Will you be skiing for yourself, or teaching others ? If yourself, I'd leave them where they are, 'cos that way you won't forget to change them back. If you are teaching (much) slower skiers, then set them lower - or set aside a pair specially for that. I used to change my DIN when I taught beginners on plastic, which worked until I forgot to set them back up again for race training Embarassed Broken and dislocated thumb ... Mind you 9 seems high - what's your shoe size and weight ?
snow report
ski wrote:
rob@rar, Will you be skiing for yourself, or teaching others ? If yourself, I'd leave them where they are, 'cos that way you won't forget to change them back. If you are teaching (much) slower skiers, then set them lower - or set aside a pair specially for that. I used to change my DIN when I taught beginners on plastic, which worked until I forgot to set them back up again for race training Embarassed Broken and dislocated thumb ... Mind you 9 seems high - what's your shoe size and weight ?

The chart says 7.5 or 8 and I've popped out a two or three times when I didn't want to, so I've cranked them up half a point at a time until it seems about right. Boot sole length is about 295mm and weight is around 77kg.

It will be a mixture of training for myself and a bit of teaching. I hope to have different skis for different activities.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
not sure if it is a good idea... I did this on the dry slope and came out a couple times when skiing backwards and it was "interesting" going on one ski backwards.... I would think you will be doing a fair amount of backwards ploughs so i personally would leave em as is.

I ski on snow with my own ski's set to 7.5 or 8 (330mm \ 80kg), but back in the UK on plastic I usually set the slope ski's off the rack to 5.5 or so. I've never reset my own ski's for the fridge, but probably will in future.
latest report
Quote:

literally no penalty for falling unlike a real mountain

losing face with the class? wink
latest report
No shame in falling - I tell my kids it's a sign someone's trying hard Smile I had a 4 year old that wouldn't stop bragging that "Dave fell five times and I only fell once!" for a solid month... in my defense I was pretty heavily concussed Little Angel
snow report
rob@rar, I ski with mine set on DIN 8 all of the time. 1.83m & 90KG 303mm sole. I do use Look Turntable Bindings though, which have a lot more elasticity than most other bindings. I've never had issues with pre-release. DIN 9 for you does sound a bit heavy to me.
latest report
Comparing DINs in general feels like a bad idea to me... though I do ski my Salomons 2 higher than my Looks, which is interesting.
ski holidays
what difference does the boot length have on the DIN setting...
snow report
I'm still not seeing any difference. The lower speeds in a snowdome are no different from lower speeds on a mountain. If the forces are insufficient to release you at low speed then you don't need to be released because the forces aren't enough to do you damage. Indoors or outdoors, that seems to me to apply. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, your bindings are set to release under certain forces which would cause you grief if you didn't come out. It's the way you fall that creates the forces not whether you are indoors or outdoors. For many years I have skied hard on an off piste, taught beginners, wandered down blue runs enjoying the sunshine, practised and taught on the dry slope on the same DIN setting and to date (hope this is not tempting providence) have always come out when needed and never come out when not. It has actually never crossed my mind to change the settings.
snow conditions
ccl, think of adjusting DIN as adjusting your release to retention with regards to pressure through the ski. You can adjust the window to being biased towards retaining, or releasing, or a happy medium. If you push it, you'll get to the point where your retention window needs to be high enough due to forces generated that you lose some release allowance in the lower end.

So, the conclusion is that in a snowdome when you're much less likely to be pushing it so hard that you need to take extra rentention in lieu of releasing at lower torque/energy, so a lower DIN is a better idea (I'm not going to ski at DIN 13 ever in a snowdome!). Admittedly, +-1 din for indoors to outdoors is splitting hairs a little.
ski holidays
I've seen (and suffered) very low speed falls where a ski has not released yet knee damage has occured. High speed/energy falls on the other hand seem to result in very little injury even when skis do not release. If I'm jumping off things and hitting steep ground at speed then I like to have my bindings set to just above 8 as at 7.5 I pop out a couple of times a day. But on most indoor slopes there would be no need to go so high as the result of a premature release isn't likely to send you hurtling downwards at a rate of knots... why take the risk. Especially if you are trying new tricks/skills and will probably fall more than in the mountains.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:

I ski off 8 on my piste skis and 9.5/8 9 (front / back) on my all mountain skis. Indoors I've always skied off 5.

I agree with Scarpa - low speed falls are a bug and, indoors, I'd prefer to pre-release than suffer a low speed fall given the maximum speed you can reach on a 150-160m, fairly crowded run.
snow conditions
Scarpa, maybe I've just been lucky as I've had slow rolling falls in powder on my old SG skis with the DIN on the Salomon 997s set to 15 (lowest it'd go) and they've always released. I repeated the exercise on my GS skis last Easter in powder with the bindings (different pair) on 12. I don't think I've ever had a pre-release or non-release with any of my Salomon bindings. Having said that I've had bad performance from Marker and Atomic bindings in the past, with frequent failures to release and also scary pre-releases even when screwed up above 10 so I tend to try to stick with Salomon.
latest report
bertie bassett,
Quote:

what difference does the boot length have on the DIN setting...

Pivotal force - longer feet = lower DIN
snow report
Most embarassed to fall at MK at DIN 7...and in my defence the ski just detached whilst in a straight line. Laughing Apart from a few blushes, I'd rather it that way round.
The speeds in a dome don't compare IMV so slower speeds mean a lower DIN for me.
The worst falls tend to be slow anyway....so I'd take the DIN down to allow for this..even if it be someone skiing under your ski..and I have had that before...
you really don't want to be racked up then....
snow conditions
I guess i should crank down my SL skis for tonights foray into Hemel (i just looked and they are at 12)

FlyingStantoni, really 5??? i would think you would come out just leaning for and aft at your, erh, gentlemenly proportions
snow report
Mine are 6.5 and the skis i use for gate training on plastic (which i've not done in a while!) 7.5
snow report
If you usually ski with your skier type of 3 (or even 3+) you might want to think about changing skier type to 2 and using the resulting DIN. You are not going to be doing 'type 3' skiing in a snow dome!

If you are already using the DIN setting for type 2 I would not lower it otherwise you may suffer pre-releases and crash.
snow conditions
 monster77
monster77
I guess it is a personal choice wether to lower the DIN setting. The ski/Boot technicians at the snowcentre use the standard DIN chart when setting customer bindings, as do all the UK slopes. So that is the same as for the mountain environment as indoor or outdoor artificial. If the Binding manufacturers are happy to keep the same settings one assumes that it is OK.

Me, well I have mine wound down by 1 notch for the indoor stuff. Very Happy
snow report
monster77, they wouldn't be using the plus 3 top level for really aggressive skiers though would they. In fact no hire shop would ever set DINS at this level, unless they personally knew the customer did in fact ski like that.
latest report
monster77 wrote:
.....If the Binding manufacturers are happy to keep the same settings one assumes that it is OK.....

It's got nothing to do with the binding manufacturers. The slope staff have to use the std charts as there aren't any others. As narc says it's about selecting the correct skier type/environment. Indoor slopes are generally a type 1 environment, with type 2 for gates or bumps.
snow report
i wound mine down 2 points last night and promptly came out, being the first instructor to fall at the dome!! not great in front of 50 colleagues on your first night Toofy Grin mine will be going back to normal settings. the snow at Hemel is very grippy and you can rip just as hard a turn as you can in the mountains unlike MK which is much more "sugary"...
ski holidays
skimottaret, Very Happy Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy