Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do fatter skis have lift?

Poster: A snowHead
(164 x 210) / 90 = 382.666667 skiers are ghey. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, so it is the same kind of thing as i was imagening. The way you explain it (ie measured in mm) it's a bit of a crude indicator then, as a ski with a 10mm camber at 184 length to me has less bow than a ski with 10mm camber at say 150 length, but the measure of camber is the same (that's why i was thinking it would be measured in degress to the horizontal of the base as it goes tip to waist).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, Never mind, surely you must have copped for the odd big day in eurozone this season (there was enough of them).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
midgetbiker, I follow your logic but usually the same make/model of ski has the same camber (in mm) in every length. This would suggest that it would be easier to pressure the tips & tails of shorter lengths of the same ski however the ski's construction is tweaked in the longer lengths (stiffer) so that they effectively perform equally.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly wrote:

My current (winter coat) score of 230 on the left hand side plus 230 on the right hand side, now let me see, oh yes, = 460 Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, ha ha ha even relatively modest skis outscore you...mine are 396 per pr... who's gay now.. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'll check them out but I hope they are a departure from the old cluncky heavy Apache series...or at least more on the lines of the Coomba
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker, I agree - underfoot is the most important measurement for float in turning. On a straight run the camber in the ski should be flattened out purely by the skiers dead weight so the pressure will be spread along the length of the ski. But on a turn the pressure bends the ski and I reckon more of the pressure is in the middle and tip, then on the tail. So in a sense, average of 3 will measure cruising float, mid width will measure turning float! Is this getting complicated?

Thats why to Keep It Simple Stupid and make the maths easy I take just the mid width, and trust the ski designer to have shaped the rest of the ski accordingly.

So to avoid endless confusion since we now have two methods to work out Flotation Factor (let alone 2xtip+2xmid+tail/5)!! you need to distinguish the two eg:

FF1 - Underfoot dim only: Up to 150, piste only, 150 - 200, good for both on-off , 200+ mainly powder ski, 250+ fat fat

FF3 - Three dims average: Up to 180, piste only, 180 - 240, good for both on-off, 240 + mainly powder ski, 300+ fat fat

Spyderjon - very impressed by your double snowboards, do you have an air pilot's licence? Flipping 112 edges on piste may be a pissacake for you, but I wouldn't send a beginner out on those!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Then there are skis like the Redeemer with 5 dims. 138/142/128/132/128.

Hats of dickyb. Nice to see an easy basic comon sence approach.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah but... skis edges aren't straight from tip to waist and then from waist to tail.

For a better estimate of the effective width I suggest: (tip+waist+waist+tail)/4

This would weight (pun intended) the waist dimension relative to the others to compensate for the curves.

Edit
I've just had a shufty at PhysicsMan's spreadsheet. He uses length*(tip+(4*waist)+tail)/6 in his estimate of ski area. (Actually he divides by 60 to get the result in square centimetres)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
Edit
I've just had a shufty at PhysicsMan's spreadsheet. He uses length*(tip+(4*waist)+tail)/6 in his estimate of ski area. (Actually he divides by 60 to get the result in square centimetres)

mosha marc wrote:
For float, the width underfoot is waaaay more important than shovel and tail dims.

I'd reckon you'd have to factor them in, but only as a minor feature - say 20% compared to underfoot.

Damn, I'm good. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dickyb, but don't you think in the case of kiwi1's Redeemers we should be using a nice straightforward [([138x2]+[142x2]+[128x2]+132+128)/8]x(190/skierweight) to get a feel of how the ski might float with its tip/waist/tail combo? Twisted Evil
OR we could combine it with altis's suggestion of using PhysicsMan's formula and say [(138+142+[8x128]+132+128)/12]x(190/skierweight). Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, lucky guess rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker, or we wait for ski manufacturers to start advertising skis by surface area (ala water skis) as well as length?
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, then there would be nothing to post during summer time Twisted Evil
snow report
Mosha Marc
Quote:

Damn, I'm good.

Bof! You were out by 13%!
latest report
midgetbiker, Dont get me started. You could also factor in the Special Relativity effect - the faster you go, the shorter your ski gets.
Back to nice simple FF1 = 176 x 85 / 85 kg for me. I can tell the answer is 176 without a calculator.

And what's more........Wide tips and tails can be easily twisted. (Just grab one and try) So their effective pressure resistance is probably about the same as the torsionally stiffer mid section. So the mid section dim is all you really need!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-05-09 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Icelantic do, shows what they want you to do with their skis snowHead
ski holidays
dickyb, but that's no fun rolling eyes
ski holidays
JT, indeed. Per pair mine come out at 520.

Perhaps "someone" should sack up and finally buy the swallowtail tea tray.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:

Interesting. 1 board @ 380, would be 2 skis @ 190. 190, nice FF for a powder /all mountain ski. Seems to work for boards too.
Of course we skiers do have to remember to weight both skis and keep them tight. Make out like a board really... so does that make us ghey or fey?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 14-05-09 23:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'd been playing round with the title and wondered 'Do fatter skiers have lift?' Then I had a quick flick through what you have all been chatting about and wondered if you had considered the extra weight that a wider (overall larger) ski will possess in its own right, as well as the weight of the skier?
snow conditions
I don't really see how you can put a number on "float factor" with different shapes, rockers, flexes, sidecuts... I'm pretty sure those stupid Nordica Jah Loves would have the highest float factor, but it turns out they're pretty miserable in all departments even though they do have a 140mm waist.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:

By your thinking my Redeemers would be 128x190x2/100 = 486.4. snowboarders are gheyer Laughing rolling eyes Cool
snow report
Swirly wrote:

Surely will all that La grave experience you want a 2m swallow tail - and maybe some rax fins on the back wink
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
Swirly wrote:

By your thinking my Redeemers would be 128x190x2/100 = 486.4. snowboarders are gheyer Laughing rolling eyes Cool

hohoho! 190 x 128/100 = 243 per ski at your weight. Good, that fits the bill for dedicated powder.

Anyone tried Black Crows? getting good reports for allmountain.
latest report
altis wrote:
Mosha Marc
Quote:

Damn, I'm good.

Bof! You were out by 13%!

Nah, [tip+(4*waist)+tail] is [10%+80%+10%] of anyones 100% snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just don't tell midgetbiker OK!
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
I don't really see how you can put a number on "float factor" with different shapes, rockers, flexes, sidecuts... I'm pretty sure those stupid Nordica Jah Loves would have the highest float factor, but it turns out they're pretty miserable in all departments even though they do have a 140mm waist.

Still a good way to compare how a particular ski might suit people of different weights in terms of off piste performance. But I think it goes without saying that different skis of the same dimensions wouldn't all float the same way.
snow conditions
dickyb, BC's Navis is a fantastic ski - did a short write up on them a while ago. A touch heavy and likes a firm hand. Feels good in bumps, tight spaces and can still cut it on the piste.
snow report
uktrailmonster, Yes. Concrete skis tend to have less float.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy