Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do fatter skis have lift?

Poster: A snowHead
A post on another thread got me thinking about how to initiate the traditional summer long physics spat.

Anyone got any ideas on an equation for ski suface area, velocity ,gradient, snow density & skier mass to "prove" what the optimum ski width & length is in powder?

For the more advanced paper we will move onto rocker, limb length, tip profile and optimum penetration into snow pack.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sure i saw something on gapic "proving" that a 60kg lady only needed x mm underfoot to get as much float as her 90kg hubby with y under foot
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
... got me thinking about how to initiate the traditional summer long physics spat.

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guys, just a quick one here.....I am looking to buy some new skis on budget and was wondering if Rossignol Scratch Sprayer BC 170 would suit someone like me. I am 6ft 1 and weigh 95kg. Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am an advanced skier but this is my first purchase Blush
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sweats, don't know what advanced really means...but if you can ski well, then 95kgs and 6ft or so means you should be looking at a 185, so head height ...and another 5cms on that if a TT.

So, without really knowing that ski...then I'd say 170 is waaaay too short, IMO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:

Anyone got any ideas on an equation for ski suface area, velocity ,gradient, snow density & skier mass to "prove" what the optimum ski width & length is in powder?

The width and length of the ski is directly proportional to the number of little bunny rabbits available to push the ski up from below.

eg XWidth + YLength = ZBunnies
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kieran, I think you'll find it is too subject to the part equasion that the buunies are then inversely proportional to the power of the 4th wave length.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and how tightly packed the bunnies are. They can get pretty close apparantly NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT much appreciated, thank you!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IIRC physicsman posted a 'width underfoot v weight' equation on epic some time back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah but did his factor in the bunnies? I'd guess we need to adjust for type of bunny - Hermann could probably lift your skis all on his own

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/entertainment_enl_1138969867/html/1.stm
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Yeah but did his factor in the bunnies?

Typical, you're splitting hares now Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, judgement of Salomon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Hermann could probably lift your skis all on his own

Ok so this is definitely more complicated than originally thought (as with all physics conundrums)

If we are to get this formual right there will have to be an allowance for the "Bunny density coefficient" Puzzled which as just proved is definitely not a contstant. Yep! looks like this could take most of the summer after all Shocked
latest report
Arno wrote:
sure i saw something on gapic "proving" that a 60kg lady only needed x mm underfoot to get as much float as her 90kg hubby with y under foot

Actually, if you're just comparing a single parameter (in this case skier weight), it's very easy to calculate equivalent ski widths for equal floating ability. You just have to calculate the width required to achieve equal pressure on the snow surface (Pressure = Force / Area)
snow report
probably less so -if you are a fat person in the first place Toofy Grin
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
IIRC physicsman posted a 'width underfoot v weight' equation on epic some time back.

And here it is http://www.epicski.com/wiki/sidecut-radius-calculator
Its also come up in a discussion about sidecut in another thread.

IMO a lot of the lift will come from the shape of the skis (I'm not refering to side cut here but more so the upturn of the tip and amount of rocker) and the stiffness and of course how well you ski powder so as to facilitate lift ocurring. To ski on powder the snow needs to get under the noses of the skis. The more snow that gets under them the more there is to support or lift the ski. Big up turned noses can collect more snow which will be compressed as it passes under the ski. The pumping or bouncing used in skiing powder will be doing a similar thing collecting as you flex the legs and lighten the ski compressing it as you extend them. And of course a bit of speed works wonders in getting and keeping the skis floating realising this was my biggest breakthrough in powder skiing, the more cautiously I approached it the more my tips dived and the more I tripped Blush .
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
optimum penetration

huh-huh, you said optimum penetration, huh-huh heh-heh Toofy Grin
snow conditions
horizon, Well what else do the terms "balls deep" and "blower" mean?
latest report
Not to mention face shots.

Let alone virgin snow.

And I thought skiing powder is one of those few times when a man doesn't think about sex...
snow report
RPF, that's not it. Try this: http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/521/equivalent-float-chart#post_986332
snow report
Thanks comprex,
Physics man makes some good observations here.

The link I put up will calculate the foot print of the ski as well as sidecut and radius. This Footprint and the weight of skier as well as force exerted by skierr would influence how a given ski would float on snow of a given quality. Lighter skiers would require a smaller foot print.
Maybe a footprint (rather than waist width) to skier weight would be a more realistic tool skiers could use when trying to predict how a ski will float as a lot of skiers up the length to increase the surface on their powder skis.

To be honest IMO if we focus too much on one aspect we could miss others. I like all mountain skis as I have to ski a variety of conditions on any given trip and find many all mountain skis do this admirably, others less so and their manufactures descriptions are bizare. When trying to predict what a ski might be like I just think wider longer than some skis I'm used to should probably float better narrower shorter probably float a bit less. Is it stiffer softer than what I'm used to? Then I try em and see if my prdictions are correct. I found I can make reasonable predictions but usually get a few surprises.
snow report
RPF, I don't disagree with you.

I do have another way for you to look at this whole footprint idea:

Every time someone asks "I'm 6'2", what ski length is right for me" what they're really asking is

"I'm 6'2", please assume my BMI is within expected norms around 14st, what footprint is right for me"

and they've gotten away with the elision for decades /because a wide range of waist sizes was not truly available until 5 years ago/.

Yours to prove or disprove as you will.
snow conditions
Quote:

Every time someone asks "I'm 6'2", what ski length is right for me" what they're really asking is

"I'm 6'2", please assume my BMI is within expected norms around 14st, what footprint is right for me"

totally agree
snow report
You have, of course, to calculate the longitudinal bending moment of the paired skis and include that as influenced change to the frictional co-efficient over the length of the skis against the density, temperature and crystal type morphology of the snow and include this in your calculation parameters . . .

Alternatively. you could fling fresh bunny entrails at the wall and sell the results to Epic as sage divined wisdom . . . or just call it a Jackson Bollock
latest report
RPF wrote:

The link I put up will calculate the foot print of the ski as well as sidecut and radius. This Footprint and the weight of skier as well as force exerted by skierr would influence how a given ski would float on snow of a given quality. Lighter skiers would require a smaller foot print.
Maybe a footprint (rather than waist width) to skier weight would be a more realistic tool skiers could use when trying to predict how a ski will float as a lot of skiers up the length to increase the surface on their powder skis.

Yes, all you have to do is calculate the pressure on the base of the skis from the skier's weight and ski surface area (footprint). Pressure (measure of float) = Force (weight) / surface area (ski footprint). The lower the pressure, the more you will float.
A heavier skier will need a larger footprint to maintain the same pressure and hence float.

There are obviously other factors determining how much you will float in a given situation, but this is a simple and fundamental way of measuring the effect of skier weight alone. So it makes perfect sense for bigger guys to ski wider skis in soft snow/powder.
ski holidays
Quote:

There are obviously other factors determining how much you will float in a given situation, but this is a simple and fundamental way of measuring the effect of skier weight alone. So it makes perfect sense for bigger guys to ski wider skis in soft snow/powder.

and/or longer
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How resistant is the snow? What speed are we travelling at? What is the steepness of the slope? We are going down a path that has way too many variable parameters to push this any further than the manufacturers have already. Skis are often in development between 2-3 years. The market that the product is destined for, help with concept, development and testing.
So...................................are we trying to find a formula to give an exact ski, dimensions or program? We will never be able to be precise in such, so let's all buy Black Crows. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

So...................................are we trying to find a formula to give an exact ski, dimensions or program?

No. We are trying to find a reliable starting point for interpreting other peoples' reviews.
snow report
Icelantic put the surface area of the ski in their specs. It does make for interesting comparisons between different models or lengths of the same model.
snow conditions
RPF wrote:
Icelantic put the surface area of the ski in their specs. It does make for interesting comparisons between different models or lengths of the same model.

All manufacturers should. Then people of different thicknesses would have more of an idea of what they actually needed.
latest report
dunno about that - it's where the surface area is (if you get my meaning that makes the difference). extra surface area in the tail of the ski wouldn't do you much good if you want to float
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
...people of different thicknesses ...

Are we talking waist or head? Or are they interchangeable depending on the person? Laughing Laughing
latest report
Arno, so no help whatsoever then, oh well, they were obviously muttonheads to have even thought of it rolling eyes

nbt, didn't take long - exactly that! Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 1-05-09 14:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

dunno about that - it's where the surface area is (if you get my meaning that makes the difference). extra surface area in the tail of the ski wouldn't do you much good if you want to float

A good point this, as discussed many times on the forum, could be influenced by binding position too.

As has come up above there are a lot more factors that will determine how a ski feels and skis under different conditions. It is this that gives them their individual qualities. And no matter how many mathematical descriptors we have only getting out and skiing them lets us know wht they are like.

The individual using them will affect how any ski performs. This could be taken beyond height and weight and is probably best adressed with allignment and binding position analysis.
ski holidays
RPF, data is available to provide objective information, such as it exists. To imagine that making decisions on such crude information alone will yield perfect results is obviously at worst crass and at best naive. However such information may be indicative and supportive which is one of the reasons why data is so often published alongside analysis, interpretation and conclusions.
latest report
slikedges, I agree with you, and as comprex, mentioned above this (and other measures) give us a good starting point for comparing skis before trying, Often much more useful than the manufacturers descriptions of their skis capabilities.
snow report
I have discussed this on the Ski Club GB forum (am I allowed to mention them??!)

RPF: good spreadsheet but not always available in a shop!

Generally the mid dimension - underfoot - gives a rough but effective guide to flotation as thats where the pressure is centred. So I just take (Ski Mid Width x Ski Length) and divide by Skiers weight in Kg. This gives what I call Flotation Factor (FF) . The higher the FF, the more float on the snow. From trial and error, FF under 150 will be a piste ski inadequate for powder for that skier. 200 and over will be floating on top! Around 160-180 will be good compromise for mix of piste and powder.

eg.Skis 176 x 82 = 14432, divide by Skier weight 80 Kg, = 180. So good for say 70/30 powder/piste.
165 x 72 / 85kg = 139. So inadequate flotation for powder for this skier.
176 x 100 / 80kg = 220. Fat boys, float on!

Rough and ready guide, and obviously a very long thin ski could give a high theoretical FF but sure wont be easy to ski in powder.
latest report
dickyb Perfect, let's use that, simple and realisitic, the industry should standardise it as such.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy