Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on learning to telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

thanks to your suggestion earlier in the thread

ooooer - forgot I posted that earlier Confused - shows I favour the monomark exercise Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have enjoyed reading this thread, some interesting points and some great videos posted! I Telemarked for the first time at the end of the season with Joe Beer for a BASI course. It took me a day or two to get used to the balance and the different style of skiing but then really started to love it. I found at first i fell forward over my tips because coming from a racing background i tend to lead with my hip and dive down the hill which gave me a few scary moments on the telemark skis.

I think telemarking is great for your alpine skiing and works well as a cross training exercise. The Alpine team spend a day or two early summer on the old style leather boots and skis, unfortunately i never had a chance to do this as i was recovering from knee operations.

here are two drills i found worked really well for me,

Teleworms A reverse funnel that starts as sliding in a straight line and slowly becomes wider and wider and develops through to basic tele turns with or without pole plant. I.E. 4 straight, 4 slight deviation, 4 slightly more etc, etc. great for lead change and can be used to isolate all the steering elements, i.e. only use edging to achieve change of direction.

Snurfing No lead change but changes of direction, great to use to isolate rotation, pressure and edging. Also good for muscle memory as not changing much but remember there is still movement to be had.

L1. Skidded direction changes with emphasis on trying to locate edges with ankles, knees and hips or full body tilt. Great to play with Braquage too and movements.

L2. On steeper terrain developing more steering skills, lead changing after 5 turns one way then the other. (Or any other odd number)

These exercise helped me to get to a stage where i could edge change before lead changing and also blend both of these skills. This really boosted the enjoyment factor and the performance i could get from the skis.

Both Jas and James also part of JJC recently passed their ISIA telemark qualification and i am now determined to get to their standard!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-07-10 19:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I promised easiski

Here is the video wigan shot when I came down the ciste gully the 5th of June 2010.

This was 3rth day on Tele... Was somewhat suprised I didn't have to drop back to alpine turns all the way... Snow was in pretty good condition, but not exactly corduroy Wink

http://youtube.com/v/OtyAq0dRzXk

I'll be the first to admit it is not exactly the most balanced telemarking I seen NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ronald, Was that your first visit to Cairngorm? Hope you had a good time in Scotland - you see it is possible to ski in the UK! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, First visit to the UK North of Stansted in fact Wink

We had a fantastic weekend Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As soon as I pass my BASI level 4 Technical I'll be joining you all in the "free the heel" possy!!!! Never done it but looks like great exercise and fun!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jjc, I shall try some of these as soon as I have some time on my own to tele. Obviously last week I was actually coaching an alpine skier at the time, so couldn't very well experiment. The glacier in summer is just perfect for this sort of thing. Thanks for the input, and glad you're also enjoying it. Very Happy

Ronald, Not at all bad. You have a very nice split, but if I was being critical I wonder if your instability in between turns is due to your lead ankle being extended. I find it all works much smoother and better if I keep a bit of flexion and forward contact on the tongue of the boot. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it 'feels' right. Brave of you to do it in shorts too!! Very Happy

alexchapman, It might even help you to pass. I find the instability of the teles (especially as I have short, soft boots) is very good for my alpine balance and stability. It really is fun! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, On an easier/flatter slope, easier snow I tend to have more stability... But all critics are welcome, about time for more lessons Wink

As for the shorts, Speeds are fairly low/slopes not steep, so if I do go down in the soft stuff it was not going to be all that bad Wink

I think it was in Tignes were somebody suggested a longer split.. Found it gives a lot of lengthwise stability. Also makes me feel more i can guide the turn with the trailing ski... Now indeed I need to find a lot more balance in the lead change process... as thats fairly bad Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, What I have noticed is that in my lessons a big split was recommended as in some cases on here. However we have 2 of the top ESF guys in France here and neither of them have much of a split. When running GS gates their knees stay very close. The graceful guys seem to have lots of inclination ....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, There are different styles; Bigger split, smaller split, lower stance, higher stance...

What I learned so far there is not a real "incorrect"... Tele seems to be much less formal then (especially Austrian) Alpine.

When your skills develop, I'm fairly sure you don't need/gain as much advantage from the stability of the longer split as much anymore.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When racing they have less of a split because it creates a more stable platform, racers tend to drive the outside ski in a similar way to alpine and use just enough pressure to control the inside ski. I know they have a few strict rules and they receive penalties if they are not deemed to be telemarking at a gate. I believe they just need to have a one boot length gap in their split so it’s possible to have almost alpine level knees. For freeskiing i really enjoy seeing the Norwegian style but this wouldn’t be practical for racing. I think it's good to be able to play around with all styles to increase versatility.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ronald, Yes - it's confusing isn't it? It's challenging my natural tendency to want to do it 'right'! I don't find more stability with a bigger split though - rather the opposite.

jjc, yeah - I naturally want to drive the outside ski (far too many years alpine!). I find that the stability is greatly increased in the turn by pressing with the outside shin on the tongue of the boot. Not as much pressure as alpine, but still some. I am unable to make a very long split as it hurts my back, but am working on increasing it a bit. (I should explain that I am old!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
Ronald, Yes - it's confusing isn't it? It's challenging my natural tendency to want to do it 'right'! I don't find more stability with a bigger split though - rather the opposite.

Oh not confusing Wink In a way its quite pleasant... What works for you is 'right'

Especially as a smaller split is an accepted style, if it works for you, keep to it Wink ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think sometimes people confuse "long" with "low" when discussing stance - you can be both, but you can be just one or the other, and it does make a difference.

My own experience of the longer/shorter stance is that if you have too long a split, you cannot get enough weight on your back foot (it is out behind you, so you can't press down on it) and therefore it is unstable. However, if you are "low" but without too big a split front to back, and have plenty of weight on the back foot, then you are very stable in terms of fore-aft stability (although it is tiring on the legs and I prefer a higher stance).

Just my 2 penneth. wink

BTW, any takers for joining those of us who tele on Sundays at Hemel Hemsptead (or this Saturday evening, for the Snowheads bash)?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
great thread, been learning (kinda) myself a few days here and there the past two seasons. Need to learn to do this:

http://youtube.com/v/QM00MqRhP2s&feature=related

guaranteed, endless fandan I imagine Shocked Cool
snow report
I guess we don't want to get too hung up on one stance - need to continually make adjustments depending on type of skiing, conditions, terrain etc...

jjc said...
Quote:
When racing they have less of a split because it creates a more stable platform

....also 'cause it takes far less time between lead-changes in a short-stance: try doing a quick series of short-swings - you won't be getting a long stance here.

I generally try to stay short with my back foot under me, however on gnarlier, steeper terrain I find I do get into a much lower/longer stance as I guess it's much more stable on a wider platform with your C of G being lower too ..
snow conditions
barry, Seen that vid before! That guy is absolutely amazing. I've tried kneeling on both skis and just gone splat on my face (very slow onthe nursery slope), and he does it backwards!!! Huge respect!

soushilla, Bit far to come for me I think! Also, rather smaller than what I get to play on at the moment!! Laughing When I am in the UK I think it would be hard to go to Hemel for an evening - too far from Bath, but maybe a day?? We'll see what happens in the autumn. Very Happy
ski holidays
Been doing it again today, and had a good time but worked hard. The was a monster re-freeze last night so even at 10.30 the snow was quite firm right down to the middle of Signal! Getting there was interested because it involved short radius. this was the first time I've ever attempted it on teles, and I sort of managed, but wasn't able to get much split - still it was an effort to do it. After the Signal chair I skied the awkward sidehill down to Roche Mantel chair and again had to do short radius as it's narrow - this time in heavy snow which was harder!

Going up the Puy Salié and skiing the South side the snow was firm, but by 11.30 on my last descent it was just softening up on top very nicely. I was working on more extension/flexion and found this helped to get more pressure on the boot tongue especially on my dodgy right turns. It also helped with the timing of drawing back the inside ski. Very Happy

I was very tense for the first 2 runs, but the last 2 on Puy Salié were much more relaxed and I felt quite comfortable. I finished off with a run down the removed racecourses (lovely snow) and then the triangle which was actually pretty horrid and quite lumpy. Here I found that several times I was able to turn out of rhythm to use the best snow, so I was also pleased with that. Very Happy

Depending on whether I get any students tomorrow I might do it again. I met an Italian lady who's very good and she said we could tele together tomorrow and she would video me. Such a friendly sport! Very Happy
snow conditions
Today was the second time I've been up on teles since my last post and I had a cheeky half hour at the end of the skiing day. The Dome Nord has a handy little T bar, good snow and hardly any people once the racers have taken out their poles.

I've been working on more vertical movement which has helped a lot, and was experimenting with turn radius while keeping the movement going. I was also working on more inclination (sorry whoever thought I should have more angulation). this allows more weight and edge on the inside ski and generally 'feels' better. Very Happy I had two runs doing short radius which I was chuffed with, and one really fast run where I got scared and bailed at the end!!! Shocked

All good. As soon as I can get someone to video me I'll try for some more. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski,

Quote:

I was also working on more inclination (sorry whoever thought I should have more angulation). this allows more weight and edge on the inside ski and generally 'feels' better.

But there is no real need for inclination on teles unless traveling at very very high speeds. A combination of angulation and rotary separation provides enough pressure to drive the ski through the turn. I don't see how you can work the skis more by inclining?
snow conditions
BritishTelemark, Interesting, and thank you for your input. I should explain that I've spent 55 years skiing on the outside ski, so it's no problem to do that, but even on alpines when I get pressure on the inside ski it feels to me as though I'm leaning in. If the snow comes back I'll go up again and try to get someone to video me. Also, the most graceful telemarker I've seen lately was a french ESF instructor from a little place near Grenoble. He inclined a lot (it's a french thing isn't it?)

I suspect I wasn't inclining as much as I felt I was (is one ever?) but I'll take what you say on board for next time, but I will never go to the 'old school' separation that you and Ronald seem to manage! Very Happy
latest report
Quote by a BASI trainer, always sticks in my mind:

There is no right or wrong, only differences
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy