Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on learning to telemark

Poster: A snowHead
I had my first day on tele skis today. I went to the viking beginner slope and did traversing with knee bends and then gentle efforts at turns. It was pretty wobbly to start with but after 40 mins I was getting quite confident. After a nice coffee I went over the the Coolidge which is steeper at the top, and immediately discovered my limitations! Shocked However I carried on practising until I felt confident there and then I moved on to the Lutins. Same thing again .. rolling eyes a few 'bottled it' turns, followed by a bit more confidence and eventually a half decent descent of the whole slope, and thence back to the Viking. Very Happy I have no idea if I was doing it right, but I've got a lesson tomorrow so I'll find out then.

What did I notice?
My knees and back ached a lot after 2 hours .....
It wasn't very nice hitting a sticky patch as I got pitched forward and could go!.....
You have to take weight off your inside ski .....
it's scary bending your knee first (I was told to do this) .....
you feel very nervous of faster/slower skiers because you're not in your usual control .....
you need a lot of counter rotation to start with ......
My 'signpost arms' exercise was more than useful ... Laughing

I didn't fall over. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, it's fun though, isn't it Very Happy. I didn't manage more than 2 consecutive turns and I fell over a lot, or rather just tipped over (just as well we had 2 instructors to do the picking up Laughing ). and yes, my back and knees ached as well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm... not sure not falling over is part of the deal if you're learning wink

With a lifetime of alpine behind you you'll no doubt reflexively default to alpine mid turn if anything starts to go wrong but I thought this inhibited my learning somewhat. I found I have to think about consciously weighting the inside (rear) ski.

Doing parallel one way and tele the other is a good idea to ensure you're not trying to bite too much off in 1 run (and give you time to recover and prepare for the next lunge.)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Yes, I resorted to alpine very often - as soon as there was the slightest pitch. Good idea on the parallel/tele alternatates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski,
Great fun innit Madeye-Smiley - a few things I found helpful when I was learning (on Dendix Shock ) :-

...point at the tip of your lead-ski with your other hand (right lead ski->point with left hand) to help with the counter rotation - even think about punching your hand forwards at first so you don't leave it behind

...in the lead-change, think more about pulling the back ski back than pushing the lead ski forewards - you do need to get weight on the back (inside) ski.

...don't get into too long a stance, otherwise your back foot ends up on tip-toe & your trailing ski just flaps around - think about trying to get your back heel down on the trailing ski: you won't, but it helps avoid tippy-toes and controls that ski

...when you feel a bit more confident, a good exercise is linking turns without the lead change eg left-turn in tele-stance, up unweight & sink into a right-turn in parallel stance. That way you get the feeling of the back ski little-toe edge working in the left-tele, then the big-toe edge in the more familiar p-turn to the right - it then clicks how you weight the trailing ski and use its edge in the t-turn
<edit>fatbob got in with this one first - great minds think alike Razz </edit>

Loads more I'm sure, but it's a great challenge & you're sure to pick it up quickly...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Well done - it must be an unusual experience for you to be a "beginner" again! Toofy Grin

It also makes your "usual" slopes a bit more challenging! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting advice, thank you all. I didn't know I had to weight the inside ski .... hmmmmm I found I could sort of do it, but not with any weight on the inside ski. I'm sure it would help if I had boots that fit, but no excuses.

geoffers, What you're saying about the arm ties in with my above-mentioned 'signpost arms' exercise.

holidayloverxx, I noticed the guys who tried in in Wengen also fell over a lot. I think this actually shows (sorry) a lack of core balance skills rather than anything to do with telemark itself. I had several serious wobbles, but only once came close to falling.

Yes it was fun, I'm looking forward to my lesson today, just a shame I have to work alpine just before it. Very Happy More later
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, sounds fun! Enjoy your lesson.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, edge change before lead change is probably the most important thing I've learnt. There are a couple of useful videos here - "mono-telemark" and "putting it all together".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:

holidayloverxx, I noticed the guys who tried in in Wengen also fell over a lot. I think this actually shows (sorry) a lack of core balance skills rather than anything to do with telemark itself. I had several serious wobbles, but only once came close to falling.

Yes it was fun, I'm looking forward to my lesson today, just a shame I have to work alpine just before it. Very Happy More later

We did it in rain slush and rather nice moguls on bumps!
Other then that; You probably have those skills worked out much better then the 4 of us combined were in Wengen Wink

In Tignes I noticed I actually started to 'guide' my turns using the trailing leg/ski, (which I confirmed with one of my telemarking fellow anwarters) so you definetly need to pressure both skis. The steering with the trailing ski gave me a lot more control, and allowed me to tele on the more reddish sections.

Not sure you need counter, but definetly more alpine-austrianlike valley facing (I'm sure you know what i mean with that)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The art is all in the little toe of your rear ski (and in staying on the ball of the foot on that ski) IMO. Once I started feeling that intuitively I had a lot mor econfidence in the turn.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It clicked on my second day in VT and in the PM was able to (just) keep up with the Lardy Nutters and Kramer on Plan Sud. I'm much less a toe dragger and not quite as low as I was. Knees hurt less as I get lighter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:

don't be sorry, in my case at least you're spot on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting that a search for "telemarking benefits" of all the 2,000,000,000 pages indexed on google ... http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22telemarking+benefits%22&meta= throws up nothing other than a 'did you mean telemarketing ?' Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski,

If conditions at LDA are anything like Alpe D'Huez were last week then you were doing well. I found doing teleturns in the slush hard. I could manage the lower runs into the resort OK, but I needed to ski quite fast and it was hard work. Staying down in the tele postion should give more fore aft stability for the real sticky moments - though I nearly headplanted a couple of times when hitting extensive areas of liquid slush. Higher up I could manage most of the pisted blacks and reds whilst they were not mogulled, but as soon as bumps started appearing it was back to parallel turns, this was true of even quite gentle reds and blues. If the bumps hadn't been slush I could probably have tele'd them.

Moguls on anything steep and I'm back to parallel - did Tunnel 3 times - once in the afternoon when it had softened and twice a couple of days later when it had a deep coat of fresh powder over the bumps. The bumps were parallel only though I did manage a few not very elegant tele turns in the powder. I always try and throw in at least a few tele turns somewhere on every run I do Very Happy .

As a self taught tele skier, the things I have found I need to concentrate on are:

Weighting the back ski
Edge change before lead change (I'm still bad at this and it tends to catch me out in poor snow conditions)
Keeping my front knee over the toe of the boot

If conditions are poor, in bumps, when its steep, or trying to keep up with friends on alpine kit I often end up doing parallel turns.
Still I enjoy skiing on telekit much more than on alpine kit even if I end up doing parallel turns. I still can't do fast short radius tele turns.
latest report
moffatross, you have no soul
snow report
fatbob, You're right I know. Toofy Grin But I don't suppose I'll ever get the urge to swap my Schwinn 4-Banger for a unicycle to tackle the singletrack and downhill at the 7Stanes either. wink
snow report
fatbob wrote:
moffatross, you have no soul

Cool
snow conditions
I had a lesson today with Renato of the European Ski School. It was really interesting. He got me going much lower than I had been, got much more weight on the inside (trailing) ski, and also got me to stay much squarer to the skis. You can see in the pix that I'm getting quite low, but not getting enough fore/aft separation. I need to practise. One thing I learned though, is that I need more consolidation time in between things. He was getting me to try this and try that, and although I didn't get confused, I was looking for my 'one step at a time' approach, and not feeling 100% comfortable. Still, I now have lots of things to practise tomorrow and I think I'll go to the glacier if it's not too windy. On Friday I'll be back on alpine (I did 1.5 hours teaching on alpine first thing this morning). Renato is really quite inspirational and very enthusiastic and is already saying things like 'we've got all summer'.

After 1.5 hours (I paid for 2), my left knee in particular was really hurting, so I called it a day, however my back is fine today - that was clearly something I was doing wrong yesterday.

Aparently I have a problem turning right in that I'm using too much edge on the outside ski (I turn better to the right on alpine), and it's harder for me to allow the skis to slide. I can side slip though. Very Happy

Anyway, another installment tomorrow, and comments will be more than welcome. Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks pretty good form - back nice & straight. Not sure about the fore/aft needing that much work - heel under bum is common advice.

Some useful homework here http://www.telemarktips.com/Lessons06_07MonoTele.html
snow conditions
fatbob, Thanks for the link. Renato has a much greater split fore/aft and wants me to 'fall' in between the feet.
latest report
easiski, As with many things skiing, the primary objectives are(Little Angel):
balance on a sliding platform
point skis where one wants to go
make skis go where they are pointing
Once primary objectives are met, the next objective is to make it as efficient as possible.

By the sound of things you have things well on the way!

As an interesting bonus, you will probably become extra aware of your fore-aft balance once back on alpine kit.
ski holidays
slider_tom, welcome to snowHeads. You might like to know that easiski is an alpine ski instructor of many years' standing. wink
snow report
easiski,
Quote:
my left knee in particular was really hurting, so I called it a day

I know it's early days yet, but sore knees could well be from staying too "down" for too long - don't forget to come back up after making the turn.

Standing tall between turns can also be a great aid to lead-changing, as your legs come "together" when you're up, as you lead change then sink into the next turn
snow conditions
As I read more about tele (I know, too much reading, not enough doing), I keep seeing this lead-change vs edge-change. I have a very naive question.

Shouldn't lead change happen during the brief (or not so brief) "edge neutral" phase?
snow report
geoffers, yes - I was trying to stay down to get the position I wanted. OTOH I do have knee problems anyway which you may remember stopped me doing it at all last year. Sad Meniscus probs for left knee which are always more painful at the end of the season + right knee deffo swollen inside (no pain) so more difficult to bend.

slider_tom, Thanks, yes - I'm sure that will be one of the benefits.

Knees not too bad this morning and the sun is out again, so I'm looking forward to getting out there later. Very Happy
ski holidays
abc,
Quote:
Shouldn't lead change happen during the brief (or not so brief) "edge neutral" phase?

correct - that's the goal we're aiming for but it takes some time to achieve.

I'm happy now that I'm light on the skis thru' the lead-change and the new edge-set doesn't happen until I'm into the next t-turn.

If you edge set before lead change you end up with a sort of "para-mark" turn, as you are first getting into almost a p-turn stance before making the lead change into the next t-turn. This is OK(ish) as most of us have come form an alpine background, so this feels a stable base, but as technique & confidence develops the edge set should come after the change.

Here's some stuff I posted on an (often controversial wink ) thread last year...
Quote:

I've dredged up some shots taken on the Hintertux glacier in May 2004 (in some pretty cruddy, wet powder) where me & a mate were videoing each other. (You'll have to excuse the quality of the shots, as they were cut from a Quicktime movie, pasted into a word doc which I printed, and have subsequently lost all the electronic originals, so have just photographed the paper documents - gives it an air of something from the last century).

We were working on pole-plants as a timing focus, as my mate has the classic alpine skier's lead-change problem where he changes the lead into a parallel stance (where he feels comfortable) THEN plants the pole to initiate the turn and steps into a telemark stance and sinks into the next tele-turn.

The annotations & comments on the photos should show what we were trying to identify:
Hopefully I've got the timing a bit better - planting, unweighting & lead-changing while I'm high, then sinking & steering into the next turn (although I expect to be totally shot down in flames now rolling eyes )

snowHead
Oh, and if you look closely, you can see that there is reasonably equal pressure on both skis by the similar amount of snow being thrown up by the 2 skis (ducks.... Twisted Evil )
latest report
easiski,
Quote:
OTOH I do have knee problems anyway
ouch - don't I just know it Sad - I've just returned from an ACL rebuild last May so only got 7days on ski this year (and only one on teles)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:

After 1.5 hours (I paid for 2), my left knee in particular was really hurting, so I called it a day, however my back is fine today - that was clearly something I was doing wrong yesterday.

I imagine the small split and low stance causes you to bend your trailing knee quite a bit more then when using a larger split/higher stance.

The guy from Privat Wengen told us to keep the knee below the hip of the trailing ski, while you seem 6+" forward at least.
latest report
Ronald, Yes - I just don't seem to be able to get it until after the turn at the moment. I'm going back up today, but it's windy on the glacier so I'll probably just do an hour on the Cretes again. I'm not going to wear my knee brace today as I think that didn't help. Shocked
ski holidays
I was off on my own today, and if you look at the pic on the snow report thread that's almost literal! I went up by the red eggs and had to ski the blue grand cretes first and found it quite hard. Shocked Ooh bottled it a bit and paralleled for a couple of turns to start with. I did a whole lot of traversing getting right down as Renato wanted. That is back leg straight to the knee under the bum. Well I managed it to both sides, but my back was really rather uncomfortable with the necessary hip forward push to do it. Sad I also did 3 runs on the little cretes practising my turns, swings to the hill and side slipping. I thought I got it a bit better, but found I was rotating at the end of the turns, and this meant on one occasion I rather wrenched my right thigh muscle to get back upright. Sad Not serious, but I didn't stay out very long after that.

I'm finding the following:
I'm quite comfortable if I go half way
I'm OK going all the way down during a turn so long as I don't split too much fore and aft
I'm very uncomfortable with my (30 + years) bad back splitting too much
I only had one major wobble today so I must be improving
My knee was better without the brace, but I didn't ski long enough to see if it was a problem again
It's much easier to carry the skis (lighter). Laughing Laughing

Back on alpine tomorrow, but will probably do some more tele on Sat as it's the last day. Very Happy Does this seem like normal progress?
latest report
Sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't get too hung up on doing things exactly as Renato wants if you are more comfortable in a tall stance. After all they say "if there was just one way of doing it, it would be called alpine"
snow report
fatbob, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
And I wouldn't worry about doing parallel turns - if you read Paul Parker's book about half of it is on doing parallel turns (on tele kit). I tend to switch from tele to parallel when its icy, in bumps and when I start getting tired (if I'm out all day). Though if I'm out on my own trying to improve my tele turns I'll try and do as few parallel turns as possible.
snow report
fatbob, Laughing Laughing Yeah - well ... The thing is I'm quite comfortable in my back as per the photos above, but deffo not in the more exaggerated stance. OTOH the lower/wider stance is so graceful when done well, and I do want to learn to do this properly. Unfortunately, as I've had more than 30 years of quite serious back trouble, I suspect I'll have to do what doesn't hurt in the end. rolling eyes
snow report
easiski, I started to tele onn leather boots, so I have a (very) low stance. I also have some back problems, not as serious as yours of course. I find the all-round more relaxed posture in tele, and the much enhanced abiity to absorb bumps - i.e. shove one foot in front, give me less back problems than skiing alpine snowHead Enjoy you time on the lighter side ! snowHead
latest report
easiski, I trust you're not planning to bring any tele-turns into the Fast 'n Easy camp? I don't think I'm up to that. Or is it down to it? wink
snow conditions
easiski, another thing the guy from Privat said was "low stance" is not "better" then a "high stance"; It is a style. In fact he used a higher stance then you in the photos.

It may not be as esthetically pleasing, but maybe try a higher stance with a bit more split, at least untill you get comfortable?

The rotation at the end of the turn sounds familiar to me; Improved lots as I gained balance and confidence doing the lead change.
snow report
Thanks all. I shall try to get out for a bit tomorrow, and then that's it until the summer season. pam w, Fastman did say I should teach him to do it! Laughing
snow report
On the same subject - anyone know of any trainers (basi telemark) who run course for plebs (like me) who want to learn. Ok, I can alpine a bit but telemark, never done it, so that the level I'm looking for. Any links would be nice. Cheers.

easiski,
Did you get it in the end, how long does it (did it) take. Few days, Few weeks ??

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-05-09 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy