Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who owns Spyder gear?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, There are some more give-aways, but that would be showing off. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This thread really brings a smile to my face... too funny!

ps: Us colonials do not seem to get too bothered about ski clothes - but (on a certain website) mention that you have a 4WD and the wrath of Thor will descend upon you. It seems here that "cool" is equated to the equivalent of being able to navigate a goat track in a Morris Minor equivalent. But that is another story.

pps: I do have Dermizax Spyder pants - I think they are either 3 or 4 seasons (say 100 ski days) old and they have worn well, are comfortable, waterproof, - I would certainly buy again. I tend to look more at the material and then the make.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ulmerhutte wrote:
snowbandit wrote:
I ski in Andermatt quite a bit and I have never seen anyone in Spyder gear. This resort is a freeriders paradise and Mammut , Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot is very much the norm.

Have to smile at the "too cool for school" mentality. Wear Arcteryx and you are a serious BC skier. Wear Spyder and you are a... insert choices here, eg... overpaid, overweight, middle-aged piste bomber. Really? I guess I better be more careful when I next buy gear to ensure I project the right image. Now, where's that Spyder shop... NehNeh

No mention was made about 'image' in that post. It's about function and value. Spyder gear doesn't cut it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, I wouldn't buy the stuff. This is because a) it looks pants; b) it's hilariously overpriced; and c) it's covered in spiders, which would give me a nasty fright every time I went to put it on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, Sounds like you're suffering from a severe case of Anoraknaphobia Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quality joke. If I was an ice-skating judge I'd give that the top mark of 6.0.

Quote:
Who owns Spyder gear?

The founder and owner, from recollection, is David Jacobs (not the former disc jockey, now 83, and one of the great smoothies)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, and named after the 'Ferrari Spyder'
He started by selling Ski Sweaters.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
Lizzard, Sounds like you're suffering from a severe case of Anoraknaphobia Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, Laughing what a thread killer - says it all, brilliant
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The word 'anorak' is certinly appropriate in the context of this forum. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any clothes that advertise the brand in such a bold and crass manner is well worth avoiding, unless you can buy it cheap some where Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hillarious. There is more snobbery in this thread than the Dare2Be one generated.

It would seem to me that a lot of the 'technical' benefits of the likes of Mammut, Arcteryx etc etc aren't actually visible. You are reliant on that coating or whatever being there and doing what the manufacturer says!

At the end of the day if it: -
1) Does what you need it to do [be honest how many of us go backcountry skiing and stay out overnight?]
2) YOU like the look of it
3) You can afford it

If you have to miss out on a ski trip to pay for your Spyder, Kjus or whatever jacket, then there is something wrong.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
glowman wrote:

If you have to miss out on a ski trip to pay for your Spyder, Kjus or whatever jacket, then there is something wrong.

But do you seriously think anyone has ever had to miss out on a ski trip due to buying an expensive new ski jacket?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, a colleague of mine works part time in a sports shop, came in one day wetting herself with laughter because she'd just sold someone a Spyder jacket for 900€. That sort of wonga would definitely pay for an extra ski trip.

Jacket was a vile colour as well. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if it makes you look slim and athletic then its worth the dough.. if it gets rainy or freezing go to the nearest bar.. and er.. look slim and athletic...
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
uktrailmonster, a colleague of mine works part time in a sports shop, came in one day wetting herself with laughter because she'd just sold someone a Spyder jacket for 900€. That sort of wonga would definitely pay for an extra ski trip.

Jacket was a vile colour as well. Laughing

I see you don't get it. Believe it or not, for some people 900 Euros is pocket change. Whenever Richard Branson saves 900 Euros, do you think he heads off down to the travel agents to book an extra ski holiday?
ski holidays
I would bet even on this website there are probably a few people who wouldn't think twice about dropping a grand on something like a jacket but it is not a decision for you to ridicule just because YOU think it is an excessive amount of money rolling eyes
latest report
My Spyder gear was a christmas present off my OH. I wouldn't have dreamed of spending that kind of money on a ski outfit but I'm glad he did, it's gorgeous. Funny thing is, I'd already decided that if I ever went on a SH bash I was going to wear my Schoffel gear, so I wouldn't be judged! All pathetic really.
snow report
uktrailmonster, the chap in question rolled up at the ticket window later in the morning and dithered about the price of a day pass before opting for the cheap ticket for the limited ski area, all of which made Nat laugh even more.

arv, it is unarguably an excessive amount. What are they making the things from, cloth of gold? People can chuck their money about on whatever they please, but to argue that a ski jacket is actually worth that sort of cash is just silly.
snow report
Lizzard, if it is worth it to the folks that have it then so be it, if someone wants to spend a k on a jacket or one hundred of then on a car then just because I can't or wouldn't do it doesn't mean they shouldn't.

It is unarguably an excessive amount to you that's for sure, if I was in a lucky enough situation to not really care that much about what I spent then I doubt I would not buy a jacket it because it was more expensive than another one, I would buy it because I liked it and I wouldn't have to sacrifice anything else.
snow conditions
HH, you used the words "spyder gear" and "gorgeous"in the same sentence..you must have made a mistake,surely?
arv, ^^^^^^what you said
Lizzard, ^^^^^youre talking cr@p
snow report
snowpatrol, coming from you, that's really quite funny. Were you planning on any kind of rational argument there or is that more than your miniscule intellect can muster?
snow report
I have genuine spyder gear. It's plain black, has discreet markings, it does everything I want it to do, it cost $600 in Breck 3 years ago. I fully expect to be still wearing it in another 10 years. That will work out at approximately £1.50 per wear - I'm happy with that and couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks about the style or whether it makes me an anorak.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I have genuine Columbia gear. It's plain red/off-white, has discreet markings, it does everything I want it to do, it cost £50 in Bangkok 3 years ago. I fully expect to be still wearing it in another 10 years. That will work out at approximately £0.15 per wear - I'm happy with that and couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks about the style or whether it makes me an anorak Very Happy wink
latest report
Lizzard,thought you might ask..as arv, quite ightly pointed out (i dont know what part you dont understand) you thinking e900 is "unarguably an excessive amount"is pure and utter cl@ptr@p...it is not for you to decide...have you ever heard of the word "relative?"..just because an economy seat to nyc can be bought for £300 doesn't mean that £3000 for first class is "unarguably an excessive amount"..are you getting the picture now maybe?
snow report
snowpatrol, I know you would start liking Spyder gear if I gave you the chance to see me. Ah well. Keep on dreaming. Black, silky and studs on it. And yes, I look slim and athletic in it. So CANV CANVINGTON, might also be happy! wink
snow conditions
rayscoops, so we are both happy then Very Happy
ski holidays
HH, I think I know the one you mean - I saw a lady wearing it in Selva and thought it looked fab.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, thanks, obviously a woman of good taste!! wink My sisters (3) who were all here for christmas at the time also loved it to bits. Jammy cow comes to mind!
ski holidays
Quote:

I have genuine Columbia gear. It's plain red/off-white, has discreet markings, it does everything I want it to do, it cost £50 in Bangkok 3 years ago. I fully expect to be still wearing it in another

Now that is alot to pay for this brand!!
snow report
HH, black silky with studs on it???wellwhyinthehelldidinyasayso..yes,you've won me round
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
uktrailmonster, the chap in question rolled up at the ticket window later in the morning and dithered about the price of a day pass before opting for the cheap ticket for the limited ski area, all of which made Nat laugh even more.

Yeah I'm sure the guy was a tool, but my point remains that 900 Euros means very different things to different people. My wife's boss bought his wife an expensive ski jacket at Christmas (it was a Spyder one as it happens, but certainly not hideous). She can barely ski and to be honest isn't all that much into skiing. But she quite liked the jacket and the cost (for them, as they're loaded) was pretty negligible. The whole selection and buying process took maybe 15 mins. It's quite likely that the sales assistant (earning peanuts) was having a bit of a chuckle. It probably helps them get through the day.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
What are they making the things from, cloth of gold?

It's Silver actually, Spyder uses X-Static fibre. Silver is excellent at reflecting heat, plus it's antimicrobial, so they don't stink.
latest report
HH wrote:
snowpatrol, Ah well. Keep on dreaming. Black, silky and studs on it. And yes, I look slim and athletic in it. So CANV CANVINGTON, might also be happy! wink

Have you got the Pants to match?
wink
snow report
Spyderman, Would you be such a keen supporter of the brand if you paid retail for it? wink
latest report
fatbob, I can't remember the last time I paid retail for any ski kit. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
HH wrote:
My Spyder gear was a christmas present off my OH. I wouldn't have dreamed of spending that kind of money on a ski outfit but I'm glad he did, it's gorgeous. Funny thing is, I'd already decided that if I ever went on a SH bash I was going to wear my Schoffel gear, so I wouldn't be judged! All pathetic really.

Is the brand or the purchase cost which bothers you? I wear an Arcteryx SV Sidewinder which cost plenty, I don't give a monkey's where I wear it. Confused
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Any clothes that advertise the brand in such a bold and crass manner is well worth avoiding, unless you can buy it cheap some where Laughing

Spyder jacket that retailed at £500 in the UK, $500 in the USA, 60% discount in the end of season sales in Breckenridge 4 years ago. So now $200 = £100 (those were the days Sad ). Its black soft shell so not garish and has so far given me about 100 days skiing and looks nearly as new. I've never got wet yet, I am rarely cold, and only get a liitle hot if I layer up too much and the black sucks up all the spring sun. So someone tell me is that value or not?
snow conditions
Definitely snowHeads gold.
latest report
There are three reasons as to why anyone who wears Spyder gear is a twerp:

1: Anyone who wears the equivalent cost of a week's skiing for a weeks skiing . . . has their priorities truly clusterf*ck'd
2: 99.99% of them would be a visual emetic if seen wearing Syder Lycra Evil or Very Mad

3: Life is way too short to need to know or show that you can tell the difference between real of fake and think that it matters rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy