Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who owns Spyder gear?

Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster, I have found that the wealthy will economise on the most trivial of things but spend £100k, for example, on a car because they like cars. The rich get rich by looking after the pennies even though they will spend a lot generally, so I do not think your original quote of 'Poor people tend to buy cheap stuff and rich people tend to buy expensive stuff' is quite that simple, but I agree that spending £500 on a ski jacket and being stupid is not a close correlation per se Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, No, the rich get rich by making lots of profit from their businesses and wise large scale investments. When it comes to their personal spending habits, they are not usually all that prudent and it's totally irrelevant whether or not they choose to save pennies.

My hypothesis was intended to be very simple to make it easy for poor people to understand why rich people are not stupid when they spend more money on things wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, No, the rich get rich by making lots of profit from their businesses and wise large scale investments and remain rich by looking after the pennies, screwing people down and generally being tight wads wink . When it comes to their personal spending habits, they may or may not be prudent as the case may be Very Happy , but your genrealisation on the spending habits of the rich and poor is duly noted Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, Think you're getting confused between business and personal spending. A wealthy businessman may well strive to save every last penny on their business overheads, but then spend £100K on a rapidly depreciating car or take a very expensive holiday just because they want to for their personal pleasure. Not because it makes sense financially.

I think brand snobbery is very much a two way thing. My buying choices are largely driven by quality (can't stand tat), not brand names. But often quality and 'branded' gear are one and the same. A good example of this is Porsche cars. Reverse snobs would say they're just over-priced posing wagons, but they're also extremely well engineered cars. So you get several types of buyer. Those who buy purely for the image, those who buy for the product itself and those who buy for both.

What was the thread about again Puzzled
Oh yes Spyder gear. I'd say it would appeal to those who are looking for image + quality. Those buying fake Spyder gear can only be doing it for the image.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
Any clothes that advertise the brand in such a bold and crass manner is well worth avoiding, unless you can buy it cheap some where Laughing

Spyder jacket that retailed at £500 in the UK, $500 in the USA, 60% discount in the end of season sales in Breckenridge 4 years ago. So now $200 = £100 (those were the days Sad ). Its black soft shell so not garish and has so far given me about 100 days skiing and looks nearly as new. I've never got wet yet, I am rarely cold, and only get a liitle hot if I layer up too much and the black sucks up all the spring sun. So someone tell me is that value or not?

that is value .......

Thank you, I thought so Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops, does your friend also recycle his teabags?

ALL tea should be made in a pot. Thereby making the issue of recycling teabags redundant, as the preferred number of bags (say 3) will make a pot of given size (say 5 cups) and the bags will then be 'used up'.

I don't wish to tell others how to live their lives, but on this matter I am right.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster & rayscoops, can I please have a definative (and specific) definition of 'wealthy' in order that I can make up my mind about which of you is correct. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, when I was a young girl I always thought that on the day I could buy a complete range of top name "smellies" (bubble bath, talc, perfume etc) in one go without even thinking about the price, that woudl be the day I would consider myself wealthy. Well, that day is kind of here I suppose, but my priorites have changed and if I do buy such stuff it would tend not to be chanel sort of stuff, and I forget to use it anyway rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker, you are partially right. Tea should be made with loose leaves, NOT teabags, and in a teapot with an infuser basket.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
midgetbiker, you are partially right. Tea should be made with loose leaves, NOT teabags, and in a teapot with an infuser basket.

In an ideal world, obviously, but here we are dealing with the harsh realities of our busy modern lives (with its constant pressures to make a living and/or post endlessly on critical internet issues).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker, anyone who is so busy that they have no time to make tea has seriously skewed priorities and needs to have a stern word with themselves. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

That's it . . . she's gone kermit rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, the French use teabags with tepid water and barely know what a teapot is. They are a nation of coffee addicts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dam! Only managed to elicit 3 more pages Confused (note to self: must be more offensive)

I've no objection to people spending their money any way they please but I do feel fair in commenting on what they purchase. As an example, I agree with Spyderman's choice of 'boy toy', Landies are right at the top of tools for 4 wheel fun, I don't believe that Spyder Punterwear comes close to being the best choice on the mountain and using his own choices I feel safe in saying that no matter how high the quality of the materials it is rare that over-engineering will justify their use.

Spyder clothing design has an inordinate and anachronistic amount of panel seaming and with concomitant sealing and insulation required for that, along with the need for robust fabrics to cope with, it is the Hummer equivalent to the Land Rover . . . and we all know which is the better mud plugger.

So, by all means tell us that you buy it simply because you can afford to . . . ooops, you've done that wink But don't talk bollux about it being the better or more suitable clothing to spend time on a mountain in because, unless you're tucking yer togger into a whole body Lycra posing pouch . . . yer spouting from yer sphincter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
I don't believe that Spyder Punterwear comes close to being the best choice on the mountain

Does everything we use on the mountain have to be "best choice"? Should we all choose exactly the same kit because it's recognised as the highest performing, or are we allowed to choose whatever we like because it does the job plenty good enough and we like the styling?
ski holidays
rob@rar, You can choose whatever you like, but faux reasoning or fact should not be used to justify that choice wink

Man's choices are far more influenced by his sensitivity than by his sensibility.

Just because I call you a sad, badge monkey . . . doesn't mean you aren't Toofy Grin
snow conditions
..or the hideous colour Toofy Grin
latest report
that can be spotted from space. grinning smiley mark 3
snow report
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, You can choose whatever you like, but faux reasoning or fact should not be used to justify that choice wink

Man's choices are far more influenced by his sensitivity than by his sensibility.

Just because I call you a sad, badge monkey . . . doesn't mean you aren't Toofy Grin

I'm sure there's some meaning in that collection of words, but I just can't find it!
snow conditions
rob@rar, I was hugely impressed with this:

Quote:
Spyder clothing design has an inordinate and anachronistic amount of panel seaming and with concomitant sealing and insulation required for that...

Fecked if I know what it means though.

1st rule of communication: Make sure people can understand you. snowHead
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

That would be like calling you a peasant
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
That would be like calling you a peasant

That's better than what most call me Sad

For our illiterati, much of Spyder Punterwear is hugely decorative and favoured by some tastes . . . regrettably not by others wink . . . that decor is part of its cutting and construction. 30 years ago this was at the bleeding edge of man's concupiscence with CAD. Today it's the febrile onanism of a return keystroke. However , all that construction means lots of seams and . . . as all purveyors of quality foul weather gear know and wearers experience . . . seams mean seepage as water and wind percolate through and past all that pretty stitching. Stopping that requires additional thought, materials, time and quality. Which goes a long way to explain why knock-off's fall apart and why clothing that is designed to keep you alive in extreme conditions has as little stitching and as few seams as possible to maintain the integrity of the garment's materials.

Spyder has taken the 'form over function' apothegm and turned it on its head by over-engineering its garments to perform as well . . . but I doubt better . . . as its lower price point and more function driven competitors.

As for man's preference for sensitivity over sensibility . . . one usually only has to look at their life partner and car . . . it's rare that both are pretty as most men are incapable of truly loving more than one thing at a time as we're simple organisms driven by the link 'tween our gonads and heart over our mind's feeble attempts to control either.
snow conditions
Masque, a number of ski schools seem to use Spyder kit, all season long in all weathers. The kit works. You might not like it. You might not be prepared to pay the premium they charge. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad choice for some people, unless you have a monopoly on wisdom and style...?
ski holidays
rob@rar, may I remind you of 'product placement discounts' as part of an effective marketing program? Here's a conundrum for you . . . what's the retail price of a race suit and what does a national race team pay for theirs?

What is very evident is the (over?) sensitivity of Spyder wearers to criticism. I don't have any problem with people disposing of their cash in any way . . . but I reserve the right to comment on their justification for doing so. I sincerely believe and will defend the statement that you can purchase better equipment for less cost and I will press any Spyder wearer to provide a reason beyond 'cus I like it and can afford it' for its purchase.
ski holidays
I think I heard that Spyder are providing ESF with their new kit next season Confused
ski holidays
Masque,
Quote:

man's preference for sensitivity over sensibility
What does this mean?
snow report
Hurtle, Oh bejeezus rolling eyes Heart over Mind

Obviously not a fan of Ms. Austin . . . a virgin who knew more about sex than Hugh Hefner Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Masque, ah, I suspected that you thought sensibility meant behaving sensibly, which of course it doesn't. You will find that Ms Austen (sic) drew her distinction between sense and sensibility. You really should check your references and your dictionary before indulging in your aphoristic prose.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
Hurtle, Oh bejeezus rolling eyes Heart over Mind

Obviously not a fan of Ms. Austin . . . a virgin who knew more about sex than Hugh Hefner Evil or Very Mad

You really are pr!ck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_and_Sensibility
snow conditions
Hurtle, we cross posted. As ever you said it much better then I.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, may I remind you of 'product placement discounts' as part of an effective marketing program?

So? That makes not one jot of difference to whether Spyder skiwear is suitable for use in all conditions, which it is.

BTW, I wear North Face or Vist, with occasional forays in Tricolor or Columbia; Icebreaker base layers and underpants by M&S. I'm not over-sensitive to criticism of people who wear Spyder kit (not least because I haven't for several years), but I don't agree with the argument that clothing can be "right" or "wrong".
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
[Ms Austen (sic)

my turn.... isn't it right to use "(sic)" when reproducing the error, not when quoting but correcting it?
snow conditions
PJSki, It seems you are demonstrably unfamiliar with the concept of a pun . . . try this one . . . "You can take a whore to culture but you can't make (in this case) him think" rolling eyes read on muppet and try to learn that whilst wikipedia is a useful tool . . . it does require a little competence to wield it beyond the equivalence of placing yer togger on an anvil and asking a stranger to hit it with a lump hammer . . . it's not my prick on the anvil.

Hurtle, You've been off your game of late . . . though whilst paraphrasing Ms Austin I'm using current definitions for sensitivity . . . wink

Synonyms: acuteness, affectibility, awareness, consciousness, delicacy, feeling, impressionability, nervousness, reactiveness, reactivity, receptiveness, sensation, sense, sensitiveness, subtlety, susceptibility, sympathy

and sensibility . . . Cool

Synonyms: appreciation, awareness, discernment, emotion, feeling, gut reaction*, heart*, insight, intuition, judgment, keenness, perceptiveness, rationale, sensation, sense, sensitiveness, sensitivity, sentiment, susceptibility, taste, vibes

Whilst both have shared components I think that I can rely on Ms Austin to define their use in context so that a man's sensitivity (his emotional reaction) overrules his sensibility (his knowledge of facts)
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
So? That makes not one jot of difference to whether Spyder skiwear is suitable for use in all conditions, which it is.

read again, that's not the argument I've made.
latest report
Masque, excellent bit of convoluted weaseling. You even misspelled her name again.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

So if you're not arguing that it is inappropriate kit to wear when skiing what is your argument? That you think it's poor value for money? That you think it looks ugly? Something else...?
snow report
PJSki,I hang my head in shame at my hyperlexia, yet you offer no cogent repost only a critique grammar. The weasel is hard against the back wall of PJ's burrow rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar, I'm putting money on him thinking it's bad value.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
PJSki,I hang my head in shame at my hyperlexia, yet you offer no cogent repost only a critique grammar.

I did actually. I said you were trying to weasel your way out of being wrong.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Masque wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

So if you're not arguing that it is inappropriate kit to wear when skiing what is your argument? That you think it's poor value for money? That you think it looks ugly? Something else...?

Yes! That is the point and finally we've got there. By all means buy the stuff but don't tell us that it's Skiwear Nirvana or worth what you pay for it. It is a personal choice that is based on your values and you have no defence against those that may spit on those values. What is your responsibility as a wearer is that you (not 'you' as an individual) not portray Spyder clothing as the best choice when it's demonstrably not.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy